PDA

View Full Version : ABS vs non ABS rotors/pads

Xise
08-09-2009, 08:17 PM
So i have been shopping around for brake rotors and pads and i see a lot of different applications some list as ABS only some are w/o ABS. I just thought to myself "why the fuck does it matter?" I mean aren't they all the same. What would be the difference between the 2? I am only asking because all the best deals I find are for the non ABS model which I don't have

GSXRJJordan
08-09-2009, 09:11 PM
I believe the pads/rotors are the same, but I'm not sure, as I swapped my stock ABS stuff for Z32 non-ABS parts as soon as I built this car. The difference is in the ABS control box and ABS unit under the hood.

saelee23
08-09-2009, 10:20 PM
IIRC the abs and vert (same) brake rotors are larger slightly than the non abs cars, not sure about the pads. the search button would answer the pad part of it.

projectRDM
08-10-2009, 07:39 AM
ABS and convertible rotors are indeed a hair larger, as are the calipers. The pads fit either one though, the pad carrier isn't any different.

Xise
08-14-2009, 11:24 AM
hmm ok, so if I tried to use non abs rotors on my abs equipped car, the abs probably wouldn't function properly would it? the ABS rotors seem to cost quite a bit more

projectRDM
08-14-2009, 12:23 PM
hmm ok, so if I tried to use non abs rotors on my abs equipped car, the abs probably wouldn't function properly would it? the ABS rotors seem to cost quite a bit more

Why in hell would you think that? The ABS ring is in the hub, the sensor doesn't care what size rotors you're running.

Non ABS rotors on an ABS car are just slightly smaller, so the pad will wear uneven on the outer edge.

Xise
08-14-2009, 05:27 PM
i don't know I thought the calipers might be slightly different or something. I just wanted to know what the the difference in rotors was.

_Wing_
08-15-2009, 10:06 AM
rotors and pads aren't ABS or NON-ABS specific, dunno what car you got but just look up the brake specs of the two cars and you'll see everything you need :)