PDA

View Full Version : I have a questions about cali. state ref

Sileighty_DRFT89
08-09-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm on my second ref ticket which I just payed instead of correcting again like the first. I hear though that if you get 3 ref tickets then you won't be able to re register your car when the time comes. some people also tell me that the above statement isn't true also though so I am now confused. can anyone verify which is true?? thanks

essforteen
08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask the DMV
call them stay on hold for 30 min and get your answer!!

soreballz
08-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Are you worried about getting a third? I have an idea... Pull that stupid illegal motor out and replace it with something better and LEGAL.

LS1 LS1 LS1!
Or...
VH45!

DALAZ_68
08-10-2009, 11:23 AM
why are u going to a forum...something along the lines of ur local PD and DMV can answer this better than any dopey answer u get here...

Sileighty_DRFT89
08-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I jsut get stupid responses or put on hold. I figured someone on here would know. and my motor is a stock dual cam.

soreballz
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
^Then why in the hell are you getting ref tickets?

Sileighty_DRFT89
08-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I had a cone filter and exhaust. not even a intake. it was just a cone filter that came with the car

a_ghost
08-15-2009, 06:15 AM
find a stock intake and go ref it. your exhaust shouldn't matter, i had hks hi-power when i ref mine, and the refs didn't say anything.

FaLKoN240
08-15-2009, 11:02 AM
If your car has a stock KA, why are you paying off ref tickets?

Just make an appointment and get it signed off.

kensreliableb18b
08-15-2009, 11:08 AM
if your car has a stock ka, why are you paying off ref tickets?

Just make an appointment and get it signed off.

lol exactly

palmdale_mob
08-15-2009, 11:40 AM
If you have an "illegal intake" they can get you for that too, gotta get that carb sticker

I got a ref ticket for the same thing on my old honda, but I didnt do anything about it, went to court, and the judge thought it was an exhaust ticket and charged me $30, I got really lucky

Sonic Motor
08-15-2009, 03:14 PM
i swear dean, you have the worst luck with cars.

nieko
08-15-2009, 03:26 PM
i dont understand how you could actually pay that dean? wtf are you doing?

you have a stock motor....... put a stock airbox on and borrow a stock exhaust.

you probably paid a shitload too.

WHAT ARE YOU THINKING

roboticnissan
08-15-2009, 03:37 PM
Are you worried about getting a third? I have an idea... Pull that stupid illegal motor out and replace it with something better and LEGAL.

LS1 LS1 LS1!
Or...
VH45!

ls1 and vh45 are still not legal into a s13 chassis. the only legal swap is from a motor with the same chassis so sohc s13 to a dohc from a s13 thats it anything out of country from same chassis still no good
FACT

FaLKoN240
08-15-2009, 04:12 PM
ls1 and vh45 are still not legal into a s13 chassis. the only legal swap is from a motor with the same chassis so sohc s13 to a dohc from a s13 thats it anything out of country from same chassis still no good
FACT

Yeah, but if the motor was sold in America, is NEWER, and retains all the emissions equipment IS legal. Regardless of make or model.

Sileighty_DRFT89
08-15-2009, 06:38 PM
ok. so to you guys who think i'm an idiot lol. its not just he fact that my car is modded and I can just fix it and get it signed off. its the fact that my car has to pass smog. I took it to my mechanic and he did his best with minimal fixing to get it to pass at a local smog station. it barely passed. when I took it to the ref it failed miserably. I honestly think that this is rigged. it was such bs. I would prolly have to go into my motor to find the main problem of why its not. as well as by a new cat because I know that mine is now dead due to a bent exhaust valve. I don't have the money to do either of this. but I do have a stock airbox now and a daily. I just wanted to specify this and see if anyone knew the answer to my question. thanks for all the input guys

YoungGun
08-16-2009, 06:43 PM
Its time to get a trailer dean.

VG30Drift
08-16-2009, 07:11 PM

LS1 LS1 LS1!
Or...
VH45!

Good luck finding CARB legal headers for either of those that will clear the steering in an S13.

Any findings on the 3 ref tickets and if they will be able to stop you from registering?

Ricks15
08-16-2009, 07:15 PM
you do know that if you just pay the ticket and dont repair the problem, you're only adding points on to you're driving record.

DriftReady_S14
08-16-2009, 08:10 PM
ok. so to you guys who think i'm an idiot lol. its not just he fact that my car is modded and I can just fix it and get it signed off. its the fact that my car has to pass smog. I took it to my mechanic and he did his best with minimal fixing to get it to pass at a local smog station. it barely passed. when I took it to the ref it failed miserably. I honestly think that this is rigged. it was such bs. I would prolly have to go into my motor to find the main problem of why its not. as well as by a new cat because I know that mine is now dead due to a bent exhaust valve. I don't have the money to do either of this. but I do have a stock airbox now and a daily. I just wanted to specify this and see if anyone knew the answer to my question. thanks for all the input guys

I am in exactly the same boat. I got pulled over today for a "modified exhaust" (Greddy Ti-C catback) by a CHP and asked to pop my hood on my 93' S13 coupe. I have on a cheap Ebay intake system and he cited me for it and to see a state referee because of it. As soon as I got home, I removed the intake and put on the stock airbox.

My question is, since I'm asked to see a state ref, will they just sign this off because I put the stock airbox on or am I gonna be required to re-do my smog? My car also barely past smog because my knox reading was high. I'm afraid my shit won't pass smog either. I would appreciate any info.

****Side Note: Is a seatbelt violation considered a moving violation or not?? I got cited for not having my lap belt on on top of the intake/exhaust violation.****

touge monster
08-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, but if the motor was sold in America, is NEWER, and retains all the emissions equipment IS legal. Regardless of make or model.

That and the engine you swap in has to be newer than your chassis.

touge monster
08-18-2009, 01:25 PM

non op your car, buy a used trailer, use your daily to tow it to the track?

Homer_Simpson
08-18-2009, 01:38 PM
My question is, since I'm asked to see a state ref, will they just sign this off because I put the stock airbox on or am I gonna be required to re-do my smog?
You will have to go through the SMOG process as they will not just sign off the ticket for you.

Sileighty_DRFT89
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I'll never take my car off the street. I was just curious to if I would have to end up repairing the problem. you will pass visual which I did even with my cone filter when I had it on. but it was just the fact my car didn't pass smog that bit me in the butt

articdragon192
08-19-2009, 12:13 AM
Dean, you do realize that each Ref ticket you pay off, you gain a point on your record? BTW, call the ref station or better yet, visit the ref station and talk to a ref officer on duty. They will be able to answer anything for you.

Sileighty_DRFT89
08-30-2009, 10:37 AM
pretty sure I didn't know that edgar. great...

well. I have two points then so far. I think I'm just gonna have to put money into my ka to get it to pass. and buy a new cat cause my car burns hc's like crazy. would this kill a cat. if so fml

stevo180sx
08-31-2009, 08:02 PM
if you get the third ref ticket you will not be able to register your car till you get the stuff fixed and smoged must pass to register again

bpark919
08-31-2009, 08:36 PM
hey guys, just wanna let you all know that the ref law has changed regarding motor swaps in CA. there is NO grandfather clause for the new law, which states that:

the engine of your vehicle must be a USDM engine. (no exceptions)
the engine of your vehicle must be either the same year/newer than the original engine.
if not the original engine, then the engine must come out of the same chassis as the original, or the same type of vehicle.

so basically, in CA, the only legal swaps are the ka24de. The sr20 is most definitely not allowed, because it was never offered in a usdm variant of the 240sx. the new law took effect i believe may 5th of this year, and the state wasnt too good at all about letting people know about it. I got this info from a highway patrolman, and he assured me that the refs will know the rules... so yeah. not too sure this is the "correct" place for this post, but i saw the posts about the ls swap and the emissions stuff. that used to be true, but not anymore. and like i said before, there is NO grandfather clause.

CrazY kouki
09-05-2009, 05:15 PM
wait i got a ref ticket for modified exhaust and an injen intake thats legal and they told me i had to do a sound test on my exhaust (ti-c) and smog test and i know i will pass it cuz its really quiet with the silencer and intake is carb legal will the court still charge me alot if i dont have anything wrong?