PDA

View Full Version : Ichiba front 5 lug question, are mine messed up? (pics inside)

jeb1517
08-09-2009, 12:01 PM
This is what mine look like:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jeb1517/240/DSC00890.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jeb1517/240/DSC00891.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jeb1517/240/DSC00889-1.jpg

My question is, should that spring seat looking thing (2nd pic) be out like that? I mean it's easy to put in but it's like kinked at one spot.

Also, in the 3rd pic, inside the circled area, you can see the rubber gasket or o-ring or whatever it is, is cut in a specific pattern. Both hubs are like that but the original ones I pulled off the car aren't like that.

Lastly, when I place the hub onto the axle/spindle(?), there isn't enough room for the axle nut washer to be placed on. BUT, If I just take the inner and outer hub seats and put them on the axle, the washer has room to fit. So I'm guessing the seats should already be placed inside the hub?

Axle nut washer that i'm talking about:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jeb1517/240/DSC00892.jpg

Seats:
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/Jeb1517/240/DSC00895-1.jpg

In the last pic, you can see how the washer sits flush. If I place those seats into the hub and put the hub on, it sticks further out and the washer cant sit flush.

jeb1517
08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Basically I just wanna know if it would be ok to just insert the seats by hand. Shouldn't the seats be pressed in? And if I should just put the hubs on with only the axle nut and no washer.

EDIT: I just looked at pictures on the Ichiba site and that outer gasket has the same pattern cut out so nevermind that question.

FaLKoN240
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I already knew what this thread was about before I opened it.

Ichiba bearings are complete SHIT.

I have had 3 sets.

After replacing the first set, the second set's bearings went out again. After that I just pressed the bearing with 100+k mileage into them, and they were fine.

The third set I got were for a friend, and he pressed brand new OEM bearings into them and was done with them.

Don't bother even rolling on the shitty ass Ichiba ones, just get OEM ones and stop worrying about it.

jeb1517
08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Alrite I'll try to get some OE bearings then. Where did you get yours? The ones on my stock hub have about 220k on em lol. But yea you're right, they still work better than the Ichiba ones. Should any auto shop place be able to switch out the bearings for me? I was gonna try pep boys.

FaLKoN240
08-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Alrite I'll try to get some OE bearings then. Where did you get yours? The ones on my stock hub have about 220k on em lol. But yea you're right, they still work better than the Ichiba ones. Should any auto shop place be able to switch out the bearings for me? I was gonna try pep boys.

Pretty much any place with a press can do it, when I worked at a gokart place we did it there.

jeb1517
08-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Just wanted to update and officially close out the thread. I realized I didn't have the finances to order OEM bearings and get them pressed in. After reading feedback from a few people, I ordered new hubs from eBay. They were $150 shipped and fitment was perfect. So if I had to make a recommendation, I would say stay away from Ichiba.

On a side note, I now have a set of Ichiba front s13 5 lug conversion hubs with bad bearings for sale. $175 + shipping. As far as me needing to sell these hubs to get some of my money back, I would say Ichiba rocks and is the only way to go! lol

KrazyS13
08-27-2009, 06:02 PM
What hubs did you get off ebay?? Oem?

lok
08-27-2009, 06:03 PM
So just to confirm.

You can press oem s13 4 lug hub bearings into the ichiba 5 lug hubs?

projectRDM
08-27-2009, 07:54 PM
So just to confirm.

You can press oem s13 4 lug hub bearings into the ichiba 5 lug hubs?

Correct. And you should always do it. The fact that the OP had the bearings apart without actually doing anything speaks for itself.

5t341tH
08-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Just wanted to update and officially close out the thread. I realized I didn't have the finances to order OEM bearings and get them pressed in. After reading feedback from a few people, I ordered new hubs from eBay. They were $150 shipped and fitment was perfect. So if I had to make a recommendation, I would say stay away from Ichiba.

On a side note, I now have a set of Ichiba front s13 5 lug conversion hubs with bad bearings for sale. $175 + shipping. As far as me needing to sell these hubs to get some of my money back, I would say Ichiba rocks and is the only way to go! lol
why did u keep your ichibas? i rather rock those than ebay ones.
new OE bearings should cost like 110 for a pair

FaLKoN240
08-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Or you could just reuse your old 4 lug hub bearings I did and the world was ok.

fliprayzin240sx
08-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Correct. And you should always do it. The fact that the OP had the bearings apart without actually doing anything speaks for itself.

We talking about the fronts or the rears??? Thought the fronts are a single unit and the bearings and hubs cant be swapped out by itself.

blackrms13
08-28-2009, 03:05 AM
We talking about the fronts or the rears??? Thought the fronts are a single unit and the bearings and hubs cant be swapped out by itself.
alot of people have done it
swapping the OEM bearing into aftermarket hubs...so i assume its doable

fliprayzin240sx
08-28-2009, 03:12 AM
Again...FRONTS?!?!

blackrms13
08-28-2009, 03:21 AM
yes!
cuz most people use ichibas conversion front and OEM S14 SE/Z32 NA rear on s13s...

projectRDM
08-28-2009, 04:14 AM

S13 front bearings are replaceable. S14s are not. So yes.

jeb1517
08-28-2009, 06:15 AM
What hubs did you get off ebay?? Oem?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/5-Lug-Conversion-Wheel-Bearing-Hub-Silvia-240SX-S13-Fr_W0QQitemZ130310757748QQihZ003QQcategoryZ33749QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

OEM? You be the judge. The description says at least the bearings are OEM but how could you really know? Unless someone buys these, takes out the bearings and compares them to bearings they know are OEM. Like I said, fitment was great. Also, this guy on NICO said he has these in the rear on his 350whp car and they haven't given him any problems. I figured they'd be fine on the front of my beastly 150whp lol.

Yup. I shouldn't have to, but I took them to NAPA and the guy tried to press the Ichiba bearings back in and he said they wouldn't go in and the bearings suck lol.

Or you could just reuse your old 4 lug hub bearings I did and the world was ok.

I also tried to do this but 2 places said there was no way they could press in used bearings no matter what. Obviously it can be done since you and so many others have done it. I was just having trouble finding a place that was willing and was getting frustrated.

why did u keep your ichibas? i rather rock those than ebay ones.
new OE bearings should cost like 110 for a pair

Really? Could you post a link, please? It's too late for me but maybe it could help others out. I could only find bearings for around $200 a pair plus shipping. And I would still have to pay to have them pressed in. And honestly, comparing the 2 sets of hubs, the eBay ones look and feel higher in quality.

S13 front bearings are replaceable. S14s are not. So yes.

Someone told me that when they went 5 lug, they got s14 front hubs and pressed in s13 bearings and it worked out great. After reading your post, I don't really know what to believe. If you can do that, then that is the route I would take if I could do it all over again. s14 hubs with s13 bearings. That way, the whole setup is OEM and it's a simple swap.

projectRDM
08-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Someone lied. S14 front wheel bearings are not replaceable. They can be pressed out with enough force, but it will damage both pieces.