PDA

View Full Version : Evo vs. Sti

tougemiata
08-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Ok, the age old debate begins again. I just got married, got a job and now I need a family car I can mess around with. For those have own/have owned/driven both, what are the pros and cons? I am looking in the 2005-2007 sti and the 2005-2009 MR.

I am talking about driveablity, mods, cost of ownership, etc. Plus the fun factor.

if this is in the wrong section, or this is just a stupid post, mods feel free to do what you do best.

JRas
08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
both are good cars..

I like STi's but I just see them too often.. driven by spoiled kids.

If someone drives an evo they are most likely an enthusiast.

up to you really

s13silvia123
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
post this on the off-topic. its not related to 240s.....etc..............

Banda1d
08-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Not really being familiar with Evo's and STI's i would prefer the 04-05 STI's (just heard that was the good year) unlike JRas, i see a lot of spoiled kids driving Evo's rather than STI's where i live. + i love how the STI looks =P

ThatGuy
08-08-2009, 06:05 PM
if this is in the wrong section, or this is just a stupid post, mods feel free to do what you do best.

"Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars"

This, indeed, does not belong here. :bow:

Moved to Off Topic, out of the kindness of my heart (if I had one).

meteorite_flo
08-08-2009, 06:14 PM
evo's have shitty interior.

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 06:33 PM
personally if u want fun factor and cost crap... this is my opinion

STI... more power, more options, definately more fun... interior is better and i think they are jsut sexified

evo.. if u go with 09 it has the active yaw control and also tarmac and snow modes as well which is cool... but like other guy said, too many people own them imo and its just annoying.. and its hard to mod them as well, although they do have better handling stock that doesnt say much if u throw on some aftermarket suspension

on another note, the sti has perfect 50/50 symetrical weight disbursement... from driver side to passenger side they are identical... me personally i would grab the wrx wagon (its family car baby) haha... then throw an STI package (turbo, manifold, injectors and other crap) and turn it into an sti killer sleeper lol.. hope this helped

blitzsti22
08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
i always loved how the 04-05 sti look like

LongGrain
08-08-2009, 06:46 PM
evoX

fatality

tougemiata
08-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys. Yea the wife is making me get a 4 door...and I have a price range too. I heard the 04 sti's have a really weak wheel hub and a few other issues. I really love teh 06-07 sti, one flew by me today on the freeway and I fell in love again...

Anybody actually own one of these?

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys. Yea the wife is making me get a 4 door...and I have a price range too. I heard the 04 sti's have a really weak wheel hub and a few other issues. I really love teh 06-07 sti, one flew by me today on the freeway and I fell in love again...

my best friend does, we both test drove the 07 sti and 07 evo 9 about 5 times each, and although supposedly the evo has better handling and crap... its not very noticeable but the sti just seems so much stronger and pulls harder and i just looove subies... personally i want a gc8v... but im poor so im stuck with a q45 haha

OptionZero
08-08-2009, 07:13 PM
how could anyone in their right mind buy a car as ugly as a new subaru? seriously

u can put better wheels on an EVO

heavenboundkevin
08-08-2009, 07:21 PM
reasearch "transfer case problems" for the Evo. And for the sti, its a boxer engine which ive never worked on, but it would seem like more of a PITA. I would go with the evo, i havent driven either, but ive ridden in both, they were both stock, and i liked the evo better. not really performance wise, but i just felt more comfy in it lol.

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 07:22 PM
when u say new subie... what do u mean? like how new? everything after the gc8 or the brand new?

VROOOM
08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Evo x!!!!!!!!!

FRpilot
08-08-2009, 07:36 PM
And for the sti, its a boxer engine which ive never worked on, but it would seem like more of a PITA.

seriously, the way the engine is packaged in the engine bay with all the pipes every looks confusing as it is, without worrying about everything being horizontal.

KrazyS13
08-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents here since I've owned a couple of subaru's. I've owned a fully built 04 STi and a 2000 STi swapped GC coupe(w/05 USDM STi engine). The Subarus are great cars and drive wonderfully. The parts are extremely interchangeable(like our Nissans) and theres tons of funs to have with them. The STi adjustable traction control is awesome as well!! Subarus are safer than Mitsu's, their B pillar is so the strong rescue teams have a special procedure to cut through them. I loved mine and miss them badly, but I will build another!

From what I know the EVO's are a much more "harsher" car, in stock form. They also respond better to mods then the Scoobys. Me personally, I've always thought of having a EVO as more of a purpose built track car and a STI for the street(if either are being modded). But honestly, both have there upsides and downsides. The EVO's interior is shitty too(on the older ones).

BTW, 04 hubs are perfectly fine for a mildly built STi unless your doing some serious beating on it. A lot of people change them out only for a better selection of wheels.

KrazyS13
08-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Also, Subaru engines are super easy to work on. Very simple engines, no reason to be intimidated by a boxer engine.

VROOOM
08-08-2009, 07:45 PM
I bought an 08 Evo X two months ago. its a great car, handles amazingly and has decent power. i put an intake on 2 weeks ago and it makes a big difference seems the turbos spools a bit faster. the new Evo isnt as harsh as the old ones, in fact i think the suspension feels softer than the mazdaspeed3 i had before it. it gets pretty bad gas mileage, im happy when i get 20mpg but i never drive the freeways. from looking at the forums it seems they make power pretty easily. ive heard intake, turbo back exhaust and tune and you can get close the 350whp.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/P1000549.jpg

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Evo x!!!!!!!!!

is ugly, bout 300lbs heavier than the new sti, slower, less responsive on handling and throttle lag is disgusting... u cant launch that car at all without bogging it unless u like the paddle shitters

VROOOM
08-08-2009, 07:48 PM
i have the GSR. it has a 5 speed.

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
i just dont like them at all.. i like the body styling... buuut, some of the regular lancers have the same spoiler and lines as the evo.. and that completely takes away the unique factor that the evo USED to have...

VROOOM
08-08-2009, 07:54 PM
The Evo has fender flares. the rest do not. kinda like how the Sti has fender flares and the WRX has none.

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 08:03 PM
yea but sti also has spoiler, more agressive areo with roof spoiler and other lil things im sure im forgetting.. either way this isnt an arguement thread this was suposed to help the OP... so im done talking

flip3d
08-08-2009, 08:06 PM
i say get an evo IX

staygold24
08-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I say evo 9. Look at evolutionm.net they are great cars with just a little money put into them they are absolute beasts. Only thing that the subaru has over them is a definite quality difference. STI's are just built better IMO.

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
well u can go to iwsti.com too or clubwrx.net... there are always gonna be sites with awesome cars.. but they are true enthusiasts, that doesnt mean the car is better or worse though

ronmcdon
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Ok, the age old debate begins again. I just got married, got a job and now I need a family car I can mess around with. For those have own/have owned/driven both, what are the pros and cons? I am looking in the 2005-2007 sti and the 2005-2009 MR.

I am talking about driveablity, mods, cost of ownership, etc. Plus the fun factor.

I've owned a 06 Pig-nose Sti for 2 years, & kept it stock.
Traded it in for a 08 Evo X GSR, with the SSS package (big wing, hid's, keyless remote fod, sound system)
I've owned my Evo X for about a year and a half now.

With your preferences, you have to be more specific.

Driveability is more a personal thing than anything else.
IMO, both cars in stock form are fairly easy to drive.
If I had to be picky, the only driveability issue would be GD8 Sti' steering.
It's very light and quick.
Takes some time to get used to.
U-turn radius is pretty huge, but thats the case for evos no less.
Shifter is a bit vague & sloppy, but that can be remedied with harder shifter bushings.

Evo is VERY easy to drive, and very easy to drive fast.
Car gives excellent steering feel.
It's heavier (albeit not as heavy as say your typical bmw), but quick & extremely precise.
It is super easy to drive smooth.

Mods
Be specific.
What are your objectives?
I'd say both are great, and probably are good enough for most of us.
I mean, there are full rally cars, time attack cars, drag 1000hp+ cars made out of both the STi and EVO.
Is that suffiecient for your particular purposes?

Cost of ownership
Obviously it's not going to be cheap, but they are similar.
Insurance premiums will be high.
Both my Sti and Evo got around 15 mpg daily,
Feul consumption is close to 20 mpg crusing on the freeway @ 75-80 mph.
Tire & pad wear was a bit better on my STi, but not significantly so.
Just don't get OEM tires & pads, and you will save.
OEM brembo brake pads on my EVO are like 600 front & rear.
Ferodo 2500's (not exacly a cheapskate brand either) are like 300 front & rear.
OEM advan tires are around 1200-1000 via tirerack.
Dunlop Z1's are 800 via tirerack.

Fun factor would really depend on the driver.
You have to take a test drive and determine that yourself.
Might also help for you define what constitutes as a fun car.

My 06 Sti felt a LOT quicker in terms of straight line accelaration.
Powerband was smoother, and felt like it had good torque.
In my 2 yr ownership, never did I feel the need to add power.
Engine note was pretty throaty and mechanical.
The higher/soft suspension absorbed bumps very well.
Never did I have to worry about scraping my bumper.
Could drive it almost as carelessly as a truck, and I like that.
Some ppl say the STi is harsh on the roads, but honestly it was one of the most comfortable cars ever.
Your wife will not likely complain (or at least not as much as the EVO)

However, car didn't give a lot of feedback.
Seats didn't offer as much lumbar support as I would like.
Suspension was soft and more vague.
Shifter was vague.
It's fun when driven fast, but feels like a Camry when commuting.

If I had to get an STi again, I would do the following.
Get some KW Var.3 or a Koni/GC setup with conservative spring rates.
Change the shifter bushings to Kartboys.
I'd get a catback maybe, to get more of that sexy boxer engine note.
I would upgrade the shitty seats for Recaro Speedster CS reclinables.
I would upgrade the garbage sound system.
I would also consider getting the interior re-uphostered into something more mature.

EVO is fun to drive almost all the time.
Suspension is more stiff, steering is hard & fast, shifter is much more responsive.
You will feel comfortable to push the car 90%, within 10 mins into your test drive.
I can't say that for any other car I've owned.

EVO's weakness, imo, is it's engine.
For me, there are less things I do to change the car.

It's accelaration is a good bit slower than the STi.
Engine in stock form hasn't been tuned out very well.
There has already been 3 factory reflashes as far as I know,
and still my car (w/ approx 15k mi) idles a bit rough and bogs a bit on the higher rpms.
I had to get an AEM intake & greddy catback to be happier with it.
I think I will be satisfied with an additional ROM tune.

Another thing I don't like about the GSR, is only 5 gears and a relatively short 5th.
It lacks a decent cruising gear imo.
It's pretty noisy when cruising above 60 mph.

Durability of exterior paint is also notoriously shitty.
Make sure to get the gaudy rally flaps at the very least, and a clear-bra if possible.
My Sti had far more durable paint.
Paint chips were never a concern at all.

Sound system on the Evo is some 600 rockford fosgate unit.
It's adequate, but not anything to brag about.
Again, it depends on you.

With the interiors, both will be kinda econobox.
Then again, you don't buy this type of car expecting to stroke the dash.

Ultimately, there really is no better car.
Both are solid choices, if that type of car is your thing.
It's just a matter of determining which car is more compatible with your own preferences.

Obviously for me, the X overall a better match for me that the STi.

jayrawr
08-08-2009, 09:48 PM
hmm. my friend has an 05 evo rs, and its quick. evo's are much cheaper to upgrade to get power imo. we put in a drop in k&n filter, turbo back exhaust, and boost controller, and a tune and we put out 310whp 300tq. all with a little less than $350

my friend has an 05 sti. and has the same simple bolt ons and spent more $$$, and the evo murders it... by 3rd gear its a 2 car lead by the evo.

i've always loved sti's and that boxer note, but since they dont gain much power with the same bost ons the evo had i've leaned towards buying an evo.

jamg
08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
aren't the STI's hard to work on too? because of how the engine is set up?

krazyfil
08-08-2009, 11:23 PM
noo the boxer engine is very simple to work on once u take the time to look at it.. its not some stupid honda motor where its all out in the open.. yes it may be a pain at times but its jsut as easy...

and as far as bolt ons go, that is true.. but if ur talking real aftermarket parts not just bolt on shit, then sti hands down

Daniel.
08-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Both are royal pieces of shit. Don't bother with either.

Get one those 240sx's I heard they totally rule and drop panties like no ones business.

(btw there were two different Evo's between 05 and 09... ;))

jamg
08-09-2009, 12:18 AM
get a hyundai genesis lol

1Fast80sx
08-09-2009, 12:59 AM
get an evo. i see too many sti's. where i live, i see more sti's than 240's.

Matej
08-09-2009, 01:10 AM
...a family car I can mess around with.
That is an oxymoron.

palmdale_mob
08-09-2009, 01:33 AM
My friend has a 98 Impreza and that car is a pita to work on

The brake lines are attached to the struts in a way of either disconnect the brake line or cut part of the mounting bracket and bend it

Idk if this helps at all, I'd go with an Evo, Subi's are starting to turn into a dime a dozen

slowpo
08-09-2009, 02:47 AM

i own a 06 sti i used to own a 04 evo the only thing you should know is that the sti is a more solid car....the europeans prefer the sti over the evo why you may ask.....
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/301539519_fa734902b2.jpg?v=0

http://image.importtuner.com/f/editorials/rally-cars/1055645+w640+cr1+re0+ar1/0612-itblogs-01-subaru-wrx-sti-rally.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/SnowBoardMag/Misc/Pastrana_ojibwe07_action1.jpg

ok ok just watch this video http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-5365459729795254787

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-09-2009, 03:01 AM
Look up worlds fatest four cylinder.. Its a 4g63. Evo>sti. Period! I own a 03 gsr evo8. the engine has no problems what so ever! When you get a sti pushing 460+ Awhp and 400 Awtq like my evo you need to start building on the block and get stronger diffs and all kinds of stuff.

My evo Is stock block and head just has hks 272/272 cams. gt30 101 octane and a tune. Stock block.head. has not had one engine problem what so ever! Stock drivetrain! stock tranny! 4-puck unsprung clutch! Lanuchs all day!! Only problem I have is I broke 2 drive shaft centers. Interior is what ever. nothing speacial! I say evo!!

slowpo
08-09-2009, 03:24 AM
Look up worlds fatest four cylinder.. Its a 4g63. Evo>sti. Period! I own a 03 gsr evo8. the engine has no problems what so ever! When you get a sti pushing 460+ Awhp and 400 Awtq like my evo you need to start building on the block and get stronger diffs and all kinds of stuff.

My evo Is stock block and head just has hks 272/272 cams. gt30 101 octane and a tune. Stock block.head. has not had one engine problem what so ever! Stock drivetrain! stock tranny! 4-puck unsprung clutch! Lanuchs all day!! Only problem I have is I broke 2 drive shaft centers. Interior is what ever. nothing speacial! I say evo!!
so the only problem you had is that you broke 2 drive shaft center...everybody know that a tuned evo make more power than tuned sti..i used to own a 04 evo with around 4k in mods it was way faster than my sti....but when i drove the sti it felt more solid thats all im saying. stock vs stock the sti is better car hands down.....
if the evo was a dog it would be a german sheperd the sti would be a rottweiler.... is your choice

xpertsnowcarver
08-09-2009, 04:15 AM
1998 sti 22b :wackit: that was my first my true love man..

http://www.scoobyblog.com/uploads/2009/03/prodrive-sells-very-first-subaru-impreza-wrc-1997_01.jpg

before D1, i was a WRC fanatic. no evo's for me thanks.

krazyfil
08-09-2009, 04:20 AM
yea but good luck finding a 22b for cheaper than a new sti hahaha

xpertsnowcarver
08-09-2009, 04:30 AM
well.. its no different than us buying a s14 chassis and dropping in a s14 sr. we'd just be buying a 1997-99 impreza chassis and getting the motor imported like any other. I'm down (after I get my degree).

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-09-2009, 05:04 AM
YouTube - 9 sec STI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_7K8ZF2aYY) ej

YouTube - Brandon's 8.79 @ 160 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2gVZNU3lLo) 4g63

YouTube - worlds fastest wrx runs 7s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxA1_ocuWeA) ej

YouTube - 6 second Mitsubishi Eclipse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6RiTu7OrhE) 4g63

YouTube - Ali Afshar runs a 8.02 @ 174 MPH in his ESX STI Subaru (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncYdlNsZyCA) ej

YouTube - AMS EVO VIII 8.56 @ 168 MPH ! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvqOef9_sL0) 4g63

YouTube - Worlds Fastest AWD 4CYL Subaru WRX STI - [email protected] MPH (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxrWLysvC9s) ej

YouTube - worlds first 7 second evo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTEdswe_v0) 4g63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYLCRuoMe74&feature=related 4g63

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJj-YaMdsk&feature=fvw 4g63

Over all! Evo engine Is superior to people who doubt the engine! Just throwing that out there! Sti's sounds sick! and have a much better WRC reputation

Bubbles
08-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Sti's sounds sick!

There you have it.

KA-T_240
08-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I have a 03 WRX and love it! I get ~19mpg and every once and a while 21ish in town driving, on the interstate I have gotten 29.9 on my old tune which was pretty rich drivin 77-78mph, and 22mpg driving 105. I have a Intake, BCS, up-pipe, and TBE. Then some suspension and brake upgrades.

If you live anywhere that has winter I would suggest the STi over the EVO. With good snow tires on my WRX I prefer it in the winter over my Jeep that had winter tires on it.

I have only rode in EVOs over the years. But next week my buddy is coming back to ND with his EVO and I get to drive it :) I am looking forward to it I love all cars until I get a reason to hate them.

KrazyS13
08-09-2009, 10:19 AM
well.. its no different than us buying a s14 chassis and dropping in a s14 sr. we'd just be buying a 1997-99 impreza chassis and getting the motor imported like any other. I'm down (after I get my degree).

+12345! This is a very fun swap, except I used a 2000 model RS and a 05 USDM STi engine. The car had the factory 4.11 gears in it still and at only stage 2(Cobb AP EM, FULL TBE) this car would eat anything I ran into from 0-140, top end it would start dropping off quickly.
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/crazygc8/DSC00269.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/crazygc8/DSC00285.jpg

Around here, you see way more EVO's than STi's. And a lot of the people who own them are just punk ass kids with rich parents.

xpertsnowcarver
08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
+12345! This is a very fun swap, except I used a 2000 model RS and a 05 USDM STi engine. The car had the factory 4.11 gears in it still and at only stage 2(Cobb AP EM, FULL TBE) this car would eat anything I ran into from 0-140, top end it would start dropping off quickly.

Around here, you see way more EVO's than STi's. And a lot of the people who own them are just punk ass kids with rich parents.

oh dude.. i just creamed myself... that looks awesome. yea, i also like how much easier the tuning is on these cars.

Pactin
08-09-2009, 02:23 PM
So much fanboy-ism in here...
-Driveablity: I haven't driven an Evo, but in general they have a much rougher ride. STi's have a smoother feel but softer suspension (which you might upgrade anyways).
-Mods: Evos respond "better" to power mods and such. STi's respond fairly well. You'll most likely need to tune in either case as the cars will not like big bolt ons.
-Cost of ownership: They're AWD, they'll need their regular maintenances such as diff. fluids and such as well as buying relatively even worn tires. If you're worried about gas prices, you should probably look elsewhere. I've got an 07 WRX (I know, not an STi), and I'm able to pull off 24mpg with the stock 2.5l.
-Fun factor: both very fun to drive. It will be harder to get sideways than a 240, but hey, your hauling your family.
-The boxer engine isn't too difficult to work on. There are just a few extra parts to offset the fact that the pistons are sideways such as having a total of 4 cams, having several exhaust components. This is quite possibly the easiest engine to give an oil change to.

Honestly take a test drive in both.

fliprayzin240sx
08-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Which ever one is cheaper...I know for me atleast, I coud never afford an Evo 2 years ago. Between having over $550 car payment (4 yr payment plan) and $350 insurance a month, that fucker would murder my wallet.

supportTHEezln
08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I didn't read this whole thing - but why does everyone keep bringing up drag racing?
Does the OP want a drag car? Seems weird. If you buy a Subaru or Evo to drag race, I think you should be slapped in the face.

fliprayzin240sx
08-09-2009, 03:41 PM
I didn't read this whole thing - but why does everyone keep bringing up drag racing?
Does the OP want a drag car? Seems weird. If you buy a Subaru or Evo to drag race, I think you should be slapped in the face.

Cuz theyre both AWD and getting them to hook up on launch takes no skills at all. Evos, you can pretty much launch them at redline and they will hook. It's not hard to get an Evo down to 12s, even high 11s with bolt ons.

ronmcdon
08-09-2009, 03:42 PM
op just said he/she wanted a 'fun' car.
that vague and open to interpretation.
so sure, drag build considerations seem plausible.

pignose4life
08-09-2009, 04:54 PM
I have driven both an 05 subi and 07 evo in their stock form and I personally liked the subi way better than the evo. It had the 6 speed transmission which was tits. I'm not hating on the evo that car was fun as hell but the subi just felt like a well built car.
Personally I think the 05 subi looks the best as far as the sedan version, but the new hatchback looks pretty hard imo. Which ever one you end up buying im sure you love it.
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8242/subarustitrackmonkey.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8601/grimprezawrxstimodified.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4293/grimprezawrxstimodifiedy.jpg

VROOOM
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
the new STi looks like my old Mazdaspeed3. they could be twins. the older sti's look much better i think.

you can buy a new Evo X GSR for alot cheaper than the Sti. i paid a little over 28k for mine with the SSS package(took a few hours of negotiating). go visit Sam at South Coast Mitsubishi.

Drink&Drift
08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
there is no debate on it, its really up to you considering they are practically the same car with different looks. id say its up to wich car you think looks better, the evo has a stronger motor but the sti has a lighter motor with a lower center of gravity, so if youre shooting for high horsepower, the evo would be your best choice, but if not, i would take the sti

98koukile
08-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Legacy Spec B... not an option on your list but test drive one. Sti drivetrain in a better "family car" with a nicer interior and best of all, it blends in and debadged you won't get harassed by punk kids

VROOOM
08-09-2009, 07:47 PM
the new Legacy looks pretty cool

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/2010_subaru_legacy_0_430.jpg

tougemiata
08-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey thanks guys. Yeah the car is going to replace my 240. I commute about 20 minutes one way, coach rugby and plan to have some kids of my own soon. The car will be a daily, weekend fun car and track car. I probably will not have much disposable income for a year probably so the car will need to be fun for me stock, and also for my wife.

Where I live, Sacramento, there are no dealerships that have either of these cars in stock and I do not want to hit up private party sales because I need to wait another month before I can actually afford one and do not want to waste people's time by driving their cars for no reason. I am in LA in two weeks and have a free day so I will hit up the dealerships for sure.

Personally I love both cars looks, just de-winged. I am leaning more towards the STI because I plan to go to the snow and would like a more well put together interior, and the STI just looks better inside. I hate drag racing and could care less about about much HP i can get or what motor is this or that, I just want a fun car stock, maybe a few bolt-ons and thats it.

Drink&Drift
08-09-2009, 09:38 PM
get the sti, you wont regret it ;)

KrazyS13
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
I love the wingless look too. I drove 600 miles to trade my STi lid for my wingless llid! This is my fully built, wingless 04 STi(now sold)......http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k256/crazygc8/DSC00075.jpg

Daniel.
08-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey thanks guys. Yeah the car is going to replace my 240. I commute about 20 minutes one way, coach rugby and plan to have some kids of my own soon. The car will be a daily, weekend fun car and track car. I probably will not have much disposable income for a year probably so the car will need to be fun for me stock, and also for my wife.

Where I live, Sacramento, there are no dealerships that have either of these cars in stock and I do not want to hit up private party sales because I need to wait another month before I can actually afford one and do not want to waste people's time by driving their cars for no reason. I am in LA in two weeks and have a free day so I will hit up the dealerships for sure.

Personally I love both cars looks, just de-winged. I am leaning more towards the STI because I plan to go to the snow and would like a more well put together interior, and the STI just looks better inside. I hate drag racing and could care less about about much HP i can get or what motor is this or that, I just want a fun car stock, maybe a few bolt-ons and thats it.

coming from an Evo owner. Get the STI.

Evo interiors suck. So much. I had a screw hit me in the face last week that fell/came loose off of my sun visor.

Fun times.

Mine is '06 too. :(

The shitty interior aside, between the two cars with your requirements, just get whatever's cheaper.

krazyfil
08-09-2009, 11:17 PM
a screw? haha funny...

plus the STI has the i/c spray button which is pretyt bad ass lol

ronmcdon
08-09-2009, 11:21 PM

If I were you, I'd opt for either the GD8 STi limited, or the current STi.

GD8 limited had the more subtle look without the big rear wing, black calipers, sunroof, etc.
Most appealing (to me) is that the ultra-tacky blue interior was replaced by an all-black leather interior.

Ugly blue STi "Hot Import Nights" interior.
Had to live with this for 2 yrs.
Got old quick.

http://www.autoweb.com/images/carPics/TestDrv/Lyons/500/STi_interior2_lr.jpg

STi limited interior.
Far more understated & mature imo.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/04/14/004095.1-lg.jpg

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-2007/2007-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-Limited-Interior-1024x768.jpg

Mitsu evo 9 had a more econobox interior overall.
HOWEVER, the EVO's Recaros are far nicer than the 'fat-man' spec STi seats, esp during track events.

About the current STi, the interior is just first class.
It's a huge improvement over it's predecessor and the current EVO X imo.
I don't think you could go wrong with the 09+ WRX either tbh.
I just don't care for the fake aluminum trim, as it looks kinda cheap.
Overall, it is really nice.

Trunk space in the hatch is HUGE!!
It's almost like having an SUV.

http://www.projectsti.com/images/nitto-tire-day/2008%20sti%20hatch%20space%201.jpg

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/attachments/f26/13267d1211144461-functional-hood-scoop-08_sti_interior.jpg

EVO X Interior.
Improved over the IX imo, but still has some ways to go.
Actually it is very neutral.
Sitting in here for a yr and a half, it feels fine.
Seats are good, but seating position is very low, but strangely without height adjust-ability.
If you like to sit up close to the wheel (like me), you will NOT like it.
If you favor the low seating position, it's great.

Plastics are decent, and nicer quality than the GD8 STi/WRX, but behind the current STi/WRX.
Only annoying thing is the gaudy steering wheel & the totally unnecessary faux carbon-fibre trim

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/red-interior.jpg

Dealerships are having trouble selling the STi, WRX, EVO, Ralliart, etc.
I'd think you could get pretty much all of them at invoice, if not less.
'South Coast' Subaru, & 'South Coast' Mitsubishi out in OC, Socal has been know to have pretty good deals as per the IWSTI, Naosic, and Evolutionm.net forums.

tougemiata
08-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Yea I've been looking at the limited. They are a bit out of my range. I'll call those dealerships and see what is in stock tomorrow.

VROOOM
08-10-2009, 09:46 AM
better pictures of Evo Interior

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/P1000561.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/P1000563.jpg
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/P1000562.jpg

the interior may not be as nice as the Sti's, but the seats are way better.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Cuz theyre both AWD and getting them to hook up on launch takes no skills at all. Evos, you can pretty much launch them at redline and they will hook. It's not hard to get an Evo down to 12s, even high 11s with bolt ons.

Try and come launch my evo getting a 1.5 1.6 60 ft mark without bogging or burning my clutch. Don't talk about easy launching if you haven't dont It. It's very easy to bog a evo

Daniel.
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
It may be difficult to find a dealership to test drive these cars with you being up in sac but if you hit up Evo Empire Forum (http://www.Evoempire.org) the guys there are really nice.

I'm sure if you crash one of our meets they'd let you test drive an X.

tougemiata
08-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks. Yea the new EVO X is out of my price range. My wife just got a new Passat and I need a car too, plus we are buying a house by thanksgiving, so a lot of money is going out. More than is coming in at least. So I have to stick to my price range, which is about 22k or less.

Daniel.
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks. Yea the new EVO X is out of my price range. My wife just got a new Passat and I need a car too, plus we are buying a house by thanksgiving, so a lot of money is going out. More than is coming in at least. So I have to stick to my price range, which is about 22k or less.

I guess I missed the part where you mentioned you had a price limitation.

Anyways, I guess you could refer back to ronmcdon's post on the first page.

He pretty much covered everything in it.

BTW, there's no way you're getting a 2005 - 2009 MR for 22k. It's kind of a broad range of years and models. ;)

In any case, here's a more specific breakdown by the model years you're shopping for.

'05 Evo's are Evo VIII's. You can definitely find an VIII MR for less than 22k

'06 Evo's are Evo IX's. You can maybe find a IX MR for about 22k if you look hard enough. Chances are it's going to have 40k + miles on the clock.

There is no '07 Evo.

'08 Evo's are Evo X's. An MR will run you close to 40k after tax license and reg fee's.

There are no '09 Evo's.

Hope that helps...

VROOOM
08-10-2009, 12:00 PM
if you dont mind fwd, check out a Mazdaspeed3. its pretty damn quick(probably take a stock STI on the freeway, i know it would take my Evo), within your price range new and its pretty fun car. has lots of room and utility. ive heard of people getting them for 20k out the door for 09's.

ronmcdon
08-10-2009, 12:24 PM

Under the circumstances, I'd advise to keep as much cash as possible and reduce monthly payments.
Actually, I would probably get the house first.
house w/ old car > no house w/ STi.

Would you be willing to lease?
Have you considered leasing a 09 WRX?

Last I checked into leasing a WRX back in 08, it was around $270/month.
Think the terms was $2k down, 36-month lease, 15k/annual mileage allowance.
I had an average credit score of 705-ish back then.
Got rejected cause the sales-man was honest (I was already financing my evo).

To the dismay of some, i actually liked the 08 WRX.
It was really solid, classy, a good compromise between comfort & sporty driving.
Decent power, slightly soft but capable suspension, nice seats, good (better than the STi imo) steering.
I can only imagine how the 09 must be so much better.
I have a feeling it would be the PERFECT match for you.

Later financed a 22k civic Si.
Put 5k down, and was paying 370-ish/month.
Forgot the APR, but it was around 6%.
Got accepted, cause sales-man was resourceful.

The WRX would have been the more sensible choice, looking back.

s13poop
08-10-2009, 02:01 PM
i would go with the STI

i'm gonna be doing the same in the next year or so

right now i'm driving an 07 2.5i impreza cause i couldn't afford the ins on a STI or WRX

after 2 years of driving it i'm pretty satisfied with it the suby community is pretty helpful and parts as stated before is just like the nissan community

miucus
08-10-2009, 02:55 PM
a screw? haha funny...

plus the STI has the i/c spray button which is pretyt bad ass lol

my 03 evo has i/c spray...
my 06 evo mr does not. who cares no one uses it.
since your from sac area, check out norcalevo.net
and since your coming down to the LA area, check out socalevo.net theres some posts from dealerships offering deals and you can talk to a dealer on there.

ronmcdon
08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
I never used that IC spray either.
don't recall the car ever on the verge of over-heating.

Sti did have a lot of nice details though.
I really liked that shift-light feature on the dash.
Would go off every time the car red-lined.

tougemiata
08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
Well the house is covered, not worried about that. The Evo seems to be more "hardcore" aka not wife driving friendly. The sti may be it, but I still need to drive em. I am 6'4", and with a helmet on I fit in few cars. I plan to race this car and autocross it, just in the stock classes, and headroom is a huge concern for me as when I race my dad's vette I cannot fit in it that great. The sti seems more like my kind of car, but South Coast Subaru off the 405 has a bunch, but they are way over what I can get from the private arena. We will see....

I like the evo because:
-it seems to be the better drivers car
-it gets better MPG
-looks more normal, less ricey

I like the STI because:
-it seems to be better to live with daily
-more standard equipment
-sounds lame, but I have always loved that boxer sound

So, I'll go to some meets and drive some at dealerships and figure it out. The 2004-05 STI's are pretty cool also, but only a few grand less than the 06-07 ones. Anybody know the main difference between the 04-05 STI and the 06-07 STI?

mangoes
08-10-2009, 06:23 PM
If you visit Sam at South Coast Mitsubishi you could probably get a good deal on a 2008 Evo X MR. It has the SST transmission so it can go into automatic mode and your wife could drive it.

*Edit* oops just read your aboev post, Evo X outta price range..

Have you looked at the Ralliart? It has the same transmission as the X and same motor and etc, just smaller turbo?

an 08 WRX would be cool too, my friend just got one and its pretty nice.

How bout a Mazdaspeed 3? =D

KA-T_240
08-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Getting your STi retuned(road or dyno, not out of the box tunes), and even upgrading the down pipe will make a huge differnce in performance. It might even get you a bit better gas mileage...

My last in town tank of gas in the WRX was 20.1 MPG with alot of pretty agressive driving.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
08-11-2009, 10:48 PM
i just drove both last weekend (06 sti and 06 MR, drove the 06 sti for half of a weekend road trip to detroit). i prefer the sti because i like the torqueyness of the 2.5L boxer and the MUCH better interior. i also hate the 6spd tranny in the MR. i dislike the understeering nature of the sti; the handling is more neutral on the evo. both are equally good at what they are designed to do..... take note that they are not designed to carry kids around.

evomike
08-11-2009, 11:24 PM
i have a fully built 8 and love it, it was great stock and lightly modded. i almost bought a sti for a dd but couldnt do it, i think the best advice i can give you is buy a 9 mr and do exhaust intake and a flash and itll be awesome. i suggest going on to evolutionm.net there is alot of good deals over there, and you can search this argument and get alot of answers.

ronmcdon
08-11-2009, 11:47 PM
i just drove both last weekend (06 sti and 06 MR, drove the 06 sti for half of a weekend road trip to detroit). i prefer the sti because i like the torqueyness of the 2.5L boxer and the MUCH better interior. i also hate the 6spd tranny in the MR. i dislike the understeering nature of the sti; the handling is more neutral on the evo. both are equally good at what they are designed to do..... take note that they are not designed to carry kids around.

I think the GD8 STi is a fairly practical family car.
unless you have more than 3 kids and/or they are big & tall, it has really good room.
Rear seats are surprisingly comfy for a compact.
Only thing that sucks is that the rear seats can't fold down.

Ride quality stock is fairly soft.
It's comparable to driving something like an Audi.
It always baffles me when I hear younger ppl claim the ride is too harsh on a stock STi/WRX.

Sanchi
08-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Personally I think the 05 subi looks the best as far as the sedan version, but the new hatchback looks pretty hard imo. Which ever one you end up buying im sure you love it.

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/8601/grimprezawrxstimodified.jpg
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/4293/grimprezawrxstimodifiedy.jpg

OMFG that white Hatch is Fantastic!! I LOVE it :wackit:

One other thing the MS3 looks like the WRX hatch, no where close the to STI hatch!

zenki.life
08-12-2009, 01:29 AM
i personally hate them both. any person thus far i have ever met that has owned one has been an 18-22 year old spoiled ass bitch who "thinks he's fast".

personally i believe in building a fast car, not buying one. and if i do buy it i wont act like a bitch about it pretending like i did build it.

jamg
08-12-2009, 01:40 AM
i personally hate them both. any person thus far i have ever met that has owned one has been an 18-22 year old spoiled ass bitch who "thinks he's fast".

personally i believe in building a fast car, not buying one. and if i do buy it i wont act like a bitch about it pretending like i did build it.

i like fast cars, but i hate working on cars. (my myself).

i would do the work, if i had a friend around me, but if i were by myself, i could never get work done.

that's why my 240 is sitting in pieces :(. i hate working on it.

zenki.life
08-12-2009, 01:54 AM
i like fast cars, but i hate working on cars. (my myself).

i would do the work, if i had a friend around me, but if i were by myself, i could never get work done.

that's why my 240 is sitting in pieces :(. i hate working on it.

go do it. get ir done!!!

JDMFLCL
08-12-2009, 09:05 AM
coming from an sti swap owner

evo 8-9 all the way,cheaper to make more power, more reliable etc... as for hte interior, just spend 1500 on some brides or recaros or w/e and get it done.

K_style
08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
if you dont mind fwd, check out a Mazdaspeed3. its pretty damn quick(probably take a stock STI on the freeway, i know it would take my Evo), within your price range new and its pretty fun car. has lots of room and utility. ive heard of people getting them for 20k out the door for 09's.

is that fuckin true !!?!??

i test drove mazdaspeed3 last month... it was pretty quick...

but never felt that quick...

i would be surprise if that takes evo and sti even it is on freeway...

VROOOM
08-12-2009, 09:27 AM
I traded in a 08 MS3 (only mod was a Cobb Intake) on the Evo X and im sure the Evo would get taken from a roll. it might be that the MS3 has alot more low end torque than the Evo(280ft/[email protected] vs 300ft/lbs at 4400rpms), but when you floor the MS3 it sure feels faster, pushes you back in you seat alot more. the Evo X is about 500 pounds heavier than the MS3 too. the handling isnt even close. the Evo will destroy the MS3 on a road course.

to he guy who said the MS3 looks like the regualr WRX and not the STi. you do realize the MS3 has fender flares unlike the WRX.

pic of my old MS3

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/IMG_0833.jpg

K_style
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
I traded in a 08 MS3 (only mod was a Cobb Intake) on the Evo X and im sure the Evo would get taken from a roll. it might be that the MS3 has alot more low end torque than the Evo(280ft/[email protected] vs 300ft/lbs at 4400rpms), but when you floor the MS3 it sure feels faster, pushes you back in you seat alot more. the Evo X is about 500 pounds heavier than the MS3 too. the handling isnt even close. the Evo will destroy the MS3 on a road course.

to he guy who said the MS3 looks like the regualr WRX and not the STi. you do realize the MS3 has fender flares unlike the WRX.

pic of my old MS3

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/nismothecat/IMG_0833.jpg

when I drove evoX it felt slower than previous evos..

pink godzila
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Always love the boxer but I would rather stay with EVO.. either 9 or 10.

I drove both car before, be honest EVO handle better and sharper than the Suby.

If I would you Ill go with EVO 9.. if u got little more money to spend then sure the EVO X is better.

If family wasnt a issue ... I would get the 370z!!!

Daniel.
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
coming from an sti swap owner

evo 8-9 all the way,cheaper to make more power, more reliable etc... as for hte interior, just spend 1500 on some brides or recaros or w/e and get it done.

I like how your idea of an upgrade on an Evo interior is to replace the only good thing in there in the first place.

You win sir.

ronmcdon
08-12-2009, 12:14 PM
when I drove evoX it felt slower than previous evos..

It accelerates slower, that's for sure.

IMO, there are 2 things to consider.
First, you can only do so much to push the laws of physics.
The Evo X is a lot heavier than the IX.
The Evo X is barely, (if at all) more powerful than the IX.

Also, IMO, Mitsu did not tune the new 4B11 properly when releasing the X.
Car is known to run notoriously rich from the factory.
Mag reviews have shown a pretty high level of discrepancies among acceleration times, w/ 0-60 times alone between 4.6 (I find that hard to believe), to 5.7ish (more plausible).
Factory has offered 3 re-flashes within a year.
Idle is pretty rough for a new, stock car.
Despite the re-tunes, car still bogs quite a bit on the upper end.

There's really no other way to put it.
IMO, the 4B11 wasn't fully tuned ready when Mitsu released it, and it was low on power given it's weight.

Furthermore, there was no legitimate reason to replace the old proven 4G63.
The 4B11 is a bit lighter iirc, being fully aluminum (vs. the 4G63's iron block),
but there are compromises in that too.

Really need to read up on evolutionm.net/
Sure there are probably newer factory re-flashes by now.

In terms of performance alone, I really am not convinced the X is any better.
I do like the X over the IX for the sake of a nicer build quality.
This is a car I feel comfortable driving my boss & friends around, like the STi.
With the IX, I'm not so confident I could do the same.

Daniel.
08-12-2009, 12:19 PM
A custom tune really really changes the car too.

Norcal X's are putting down 260-270ish awhp stock with a custom tune. Not too bad considering many of them baseline at 215awhp.

(this is on a Mustang dyno btw)

gmember240
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
have you thought about BMWs????? M3 FTW

http://www.bmwcoop.com/wp-content/images/2009/02/bmw-m3-e46-coupe.jpg

VROOOM
08-12-2009, 12:32 PM
thats why the MS3 is faster. i dynoed 224whp and 278lb/ft on a heartbreak Dyno Dynamics dyno in the MS3. only mods was the intake

Daniel.
08-12-2009, 12:37 PM
thats why the MS3 is faster. i dynoed 224whp and 278lb/ft on a heartbreak Dyno Dynamics dyno in the MS3. only mods was the intake

I have no doubt in my mind that the MS3 could take an X from a roll.

I had a really persistent one keep up with me in the IX from a 2nd gear roll all the way to like 110ish.

(on a closed course. of course.)

PANGES
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM

I'm going to go over some of the points off the top of my head that people mentioned in this thread. Sorry if alot of the info is mixed up and unorganized. I'm just going to type this as it comes into my head... I know what I write will be more about the Evo, since I have more personal experience with them, since I've owned 2.

First off, when deciding on which car to buy, figure out what u want to do with the car (drag, autox, road course, etc etc) and how much power you want. Then go from there. Both cars have their pros and cons. Neither car is perfect, but I chose the Evo over the STi because it suits my needs more (responsiveness to mods, price of mods, availability of parts/shops that can tune the car.) Stock for stock, the STI will feel faster than the Evo because it's a 2.5L and the Evo is a 2.0. The STI has a smaller turbo than the Evo, which gives it even more of an edge in the spooling/torque department, which is why people that have driven both feel the STI is faster.

For what it's worth, I'm on my 2nd Evo. My 1st on being an 06 Evo 9 and my current one being an 03 Evo 8. I've driven alot of STI's and followed their progress alot. Mods for mods, the Evo will make more power. TBE/tune on an STI will get you 260-270whp on a dyno dynamics, while TBE/tune on an Evo 9 will get you 290-300whp and for alot of people, this is where the modding stops, as it is a respectable amount of power. For what it's worth, 280-290whp is comfortably get you in the mid 12's in the 1/4 mile if that's your thing.)

As far as numbers go, my stock Evo 9 dyno'd at 220whp stock (dyno dynamics) and made 292whp/290wtq w/ a TBE and tune on the same dyno. I later added cams and an FP Green turbo and made 340whp on pump gas... As for my Evo 8, I bought it with a TBE and HKS 272 cams and it was making 280whp or so. I later went with a new turbo setup and ended up running a GT3076R, AEM EMS, 1000 cc injectors, yadda yadda, and on 91 octane it did 398whp/333wtq on a Mustang Dyno. Ran it at the drag strip and did [email protected] in 103* weather w/ my 4th gear missfiring throughout the entire gear. There are alot of people with Evo 9's w/ the same setup as me, but with a GT35R running high 10's on the stock block and still daily driving the car.

From what I understand, once you make around 360whp or so on a Dyno Dynamics with an STI, the internals start giving out and you may need to build the motor, whereas I have seen many Evos go up to the 450whp range (dyno dynamics dyno) and still run fine. Also, if you decide to go big turbo, there are alot more options for turbo kits for the Evo than STI. Also, Evo = closed deck cast iron block, STI = cast aluminum block (I dont think it's closed deck either, it's either open deck or semi-open deck). Also, you should take note that the Evo X is a semi-open deck cast aluminum block, so it most likely wont take as much power as the 4g63 in the Evo 8/9 can. The Evo X is also heavier than the Evo 8/9, and doesn't have the response the older ones have.

If you go with an Evo and decide between an 8, 9, or 10, again, you need to think about what your goals are. If you just daily and want a comfortable car, go with an Evo 10 if you're fine with making around 300whp on a dyno dynamics. If you want more power and track the car, go with an Evo 9, as it can make more power than the Evo 8 with similar mods. The Evo 9 have a MIVEC head, which has more coolant passages in the head, as well as the MIVEC can be tuned to adjust the intake cam throughout the powerband. If you can going to drag race, you probably want to look into an 03/04 Evo 8, because the 4th gear on that car is alot taller than the other years, which is good for drag racing. The 03/04 Evo 8's 4th gear can go up to 125mph or so when revving to 8k RPM, whereas the Evo 9's can only go up to around 118mph in 4th gear at 8k RPM. This is important when you're trapping 120mph+ trap speeds, because needing to shift into 5th gear will cost you time. If you want to try every sort of racing and want all the creature comforts, I would highly recommend going with the Evo 9 SE. It has an SE front lip, HIDs, aluminum roof, and BBS wheels, just like the MR, but without the 6 speed and bilstein suspension (which doens't matter if you're going to get coilovers.) The 6 speeds in the MR have been troublesome for some people that track alot, because the bell housing on the MR 6 speeds are the same size as the 5 speed, and in order to fit that extra gear, they made the 4th gear thinner, which ended up cracking on some people after it got too hot while on the track.

As far as handling goes, I've driven both and Evo and an STI and I like the feel of the Evo better. I love how the steering is very sharp and go-kart-like. I also felt more in tune with the car and the Evo seemed to 'tell me more.' Don't really know how else to describe it. The STI feels a bit mushier and is probally more comfortable to daily drive, but the seats are more comfortable in the Evo. The STI is probably safer than the Evo, as it has side airbags and the Evo 8/9 does not, but the Evo X does, which is partly why the Evo x weighs more than the 8/9.

As for the intercooler sprayer, it's a lame gimmick. The earlier 03/04 Evo 8's had an intercooler sprayer too, but who really cares? It doesn't really do much. If you upgrade to a bigger FMIC, you might end up needing to remove it anyways.

Everyone says the Evo is a $10,000 car with a $20,000 powertrain and it's true. lol. As far as the car itself, aside from the performance stuff, it's a POS and no nicer than a regular Lancer. As far as the reliability of the 4G63 motors, it's really up to how far u mod it. I know people that are around 140k miles with 300whp. Drivetrain, I know people that have 60k miles and still on the stock clutch, original tranny/transfercase. The only reason people blow out their transfercases so much is because they keep trying to do 5k-6k clutch dumps all the time, which isn't even the correct way of launching an AWD. Personally, I killed my stock clutch at 8k miles because I kept trying to launch it with the restrictor pill still in the clutch line. The restrictor pill is a restrictor in the clutch line that slows down the fluid/engagement of the clutch. It's Mitsubishi's way of using the clutch as a fuse, so people that try to do high RPM launches will burn out their clutches before blowing out their trannys/transfercases. I've known plenty of STI owners that have blown out their rear diffs and snapped rear axles, as well as blown trannys. It all really depends on how you drive your car.

Also, if you pick up an Evo, the first thing you should do is start saving up for a tune. The factory maps suck and the car runs pig rich from the factory. Just a tune on a stock Evo can gain you 30-40whp and much much better gas mileage. I used to daily drive my Evo w/ 400whp and it always got 23mpg with a good mix of city and freeway driving. Oh yeah, one other good thing of the Evo over the STi is that if you get tuned, the Evo can be reflashed/tuned on the stock ecu... While the STI can, the program for the STI isn't as good, so most people end up switch over to Cobb Acess Ports.

Cliffs notes:

Pros: Evo 8/9= closed deck cast iron block, better steering feel, a bit more aftermarket choices, fits bigger wheels/tires, mod for mod, makes more power than the STI.

Pros: STI= 2.5L for faster spool/more torque, more comfortable ride quality, sounds cool, can handle just as well as the Evo, cruise control.

Cons: Evo 8/9 = cheap interior, shitty paint, rides a bit rough for a stock car, stock tune sucks, doesn't look as good as the STI (objective), 2.0L can be laggy if you go bigger turbo, no cruise control.

Cons: STI = Aluminum block, less choices if you want to go big turbo, seats aren't too comfortable, boxer engine may not be as fun to work on when you need to do head work, can't run a wide wheel as easily.

They're both good cars, just really depends what you want to do with it. If you just want a car that handles well on back roads, I don't know very many people that can even use the full 260-300whp of an Evo or STI on a mountain.

Daniel.
08-12-2009, 06:01 PM
You must be bored as hell Eugene.

PANGES
08-12-2009, 06:09 PM
You must be bored as hell Eugene.

I am. It's sooooooooooo slow at work today... :(

ronmcdon
08-12-2009, 06:37 PM
As far as tuning goes, I was always under the impression the Cobb Acess-Port was always the most popular for the wrx/sti guys.
It is also becoming more popular for the evo x owners.
most likely that's what I'll end up with myself, esp if i can net more than 20 mpg combined.

S13E
08-13-2009, 12:22 PM
The Accessport for subies is a good stepping stone or a 'set-it-and-forget-it' as the Accessport pre-installed maps are very conservative. Most only take it as far as a stage2 which requires a turboback exhaust. If you upgrade to a turboback exhaust, you pretty much need a tune for it and accessport 'off the shelf' map is the easiest solution and the accessport v2 has a good resell value. Some choose to use the Accessport past stage2 but by that time, you're definitely going to need to a tuner/dyno and can be tuned using a cheaper tactrix interface cable and free open source software that most subie tuners SHOULD be familiar with.

PANGES
08-13-2009, 03:08 PM
One more thing you should take into account when purchasing either an Evo or STI: the resell value on both cars suck balls.

ryguy
08-13-2009, 03:19 PM
One more thing you should take into account when purchasing either an Evo or STI: the resell value on both cars suck balls.

Thats why you buy it used.

Low resale value is a good thing if you're buying, and as long as you didn't buy it new it wont lose that much value.

PANGES
08-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Thats why you buy it used.

Low resale value is a good thing if you're buying, and as long as you didn't buy it new it wont lose that much value.

hehe. Yeah, I realized that when I bought an Evo the 2nd time around. The only annoying thing about buying an Evo/STI used is that you know it's most likely been modded and/or beat on.

Antihero983
08-13-2009, 03:58 PM
As a Subie tech, I can't help laughing at some people in this thread...

"oh the boxer engines are PITA to work on"

please.

I would rather work on a subie ANY day of the week than a mitsu or nissan.

Honestly? Subies are much more reliable, have better quality in their products, and oh hey the fucking parent company isn't on the brink of exiting the US market.

I would take an STi any day, because 1.I dont trust a fucking thing mitsu has ever made, because it's been garbae since day fucking 1, and 2. there is little to no build quality in the evo, except for maybe the engine. other than that everything is cheap

Get an Sti. Just not in Blue. they look great in white or black.

g00se
08-13-2009, 05:14 PM
"oh the boxer engines are PITA to work on"

please.

I would rather work on a subie ANY day of the week than a mitsu or nissan.

can you do a faster spark plug change on a subie or nissan?

VROOOM
08-13-2009, 05:41 PM
mitsubishi is a giant company. they tried to buy the company i work for a few years ago for 500 million. we didnt sell to them so they bought our largest competitor

here is a list of some of the Mitsubishi companies

3 Diamonds Seafood Co.
Asahi Glass Co.
The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd.
Kirin Brewery Co., Ltd.
Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance Company
Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
Mitsubishi Estate Co.
Mitsubishi Motors (Automobile manufacturing and sales)
Mitsubishi Paper Mills, Ltd.
Mitsubishi Plastics, Inc.
Mitsubishi Rayon Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Research Institute, Inc.
Mitsubishi Shindoh Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi Steel Mfg. Co., Ltd.
Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation (part of Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group)
Mitsubishi UFJ Securities
Nikon Corporation
Nippon Oil Corporation
NYK Line (Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha)
P.S. Mitsubishi Construction Co., Ltd.
Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.

KrazyS13
08-13-2009, 08:42 PM
I didnt know Kirin brewery was owned by Mitsubishi......lol!

fliprayzin240sx
08-13-2009, 10:06 PM
Try and come launch my evo getting a 1.5 1.6 60 ft mark without bogging or burning my clutch. Don't talk about easy launching if you haven't dont It. It's very easy to bog a evo

HAHA...I forgot about the clutch, dont launch on the stock clutch. That was the first thing my buddy did, upgrade to an ACT clutch, AVCR (bumped boost up to 22 psi from 19), intake and full exhaust to get rid of all the cat. Broke into 11s with that setup.

pinkarrowsnow
08-14-2009, 01:02 PM
my good friend has a STi i drive it quite often its tuned to 300 to the wheels it is a fun fun car to drive. The seats are uncomfortable though evo seats are much nice ie i have a set in my 240. Both are excellent cars power for power evos all day they will kill sti's nine out of ten times a buddy from a shop had a fully built sti pushing 600whp and it blew up there is something about boxers where you dont hear about many problems like that with evos but both are excellent cars the choice is yours haha

ronmcdon
08-14-2009, 01:46 PM
use commas and periods please.

PANGES
08-14-2009, 06:13 PM
HAHA...I forgot about the clutch, dont launch on the stock clutch. That was the first thing my buddy did, upgrade to an ACT clutch, AVCR (bumped boost up to 22 psi from 19), intake and full exhaust to get rid of all the cat. Broke into 11s with that setup.

He ran 11's on a stock turbo w/ bolt ons and no tune on 22psi? What was his trap speed? lol. I'm not doubting you (too much), I'd just really like to see some proof.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-21-2009, 03:53 PM
He ran 11's on a stock turbo w/ bolt ons and no tune on 22psi? What was his trap speed? lol. I'm not doubting you (too much), I'd just really like to see some proof.

That set-up with a nice clutch and bolt ons 22 psi. With a nice 1.7 60 ft or 1.8 high 11's to low 12's is possible. I did that but with the help on nitrous. Stock turbo 20 psi.intake.ic pipe down pipe stock exhaust 50 shot. 11.79 1.7 60 ft mark. I'll try and find some old time slips and post pics.

With my gt30 set-up.hks 272/272 cams. greddy head gasket.full 3 Inch turbo back closed waste gate. 10 psi 2-step. Act- 4 puck unsprung clutch.9 lb flywheel.tuned on 26 psi.huge fmic.Big lower ic pipe.Intake.on street tires crap michillen. I ran 11.01-10.89 1.6 60 ft.

DrIvEsldEwAyS
08-21-2009, 03:58 PM
11.0's on street tires my fucking ass

Daniel.
08-21-2009, 04:02 PM
11.0's on street tires my fucking ass

lols. Out of all the things you choose to call him out on, you're going to call BS on street tires?

Go back to school.

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Time slips coming for all! And pictures of the tires!! Let me find a slip.. All about finding the best "Street" tire and about the right Psi you set on your tires.

Daniel.
08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
slips would be cool.

The magazine racer in me says you're probably putting down like 320ish awhp?

zylvia213
08-21-2009, 04:08 PM
have you thought about BMWs????? M3 FTW

http://www.bmwcoop.com/wp-content/images/2009/02/bmw-m3-e46-coupe.jpg

nice car ^^^ personally me i like the STI's

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-21-2009, 04:11 PM
YouTube - Sonic's Evo8 At Famoso Raceway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhWdLY6gfY&feature=channel_page)

At famoso speed way.. U cant see the time but You see a sick ass bog!! Me and my friend alex In his subaru kept bogging the whole night! It was sticky! With that bog I still ran a 11.7.. And I caught M.r v8

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-21-2009, 04:12 PM
slips would be cool.

The magazine racer in me says you're probably putting down like 320ish awhp?

nope nope.. more like 420Awhp.. There Is pics somewhere on zilvia with the dyno sheet I know that... 320ish awph gets you sick ass 1/8 mile times!! haha quick!!! but It drops off In 1/4 mile

Here Is my friends subaru bogging the same way that night!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEMiBkdVsE&NR=1

Daniel.
08-21-2009, 04:39 PM
nope nope.. more like 420Awhp.. There Is pics somewhere on zilvia with the dyno sheet I know that... 320ish awph gets you sick ass 1/8 mile times!! haha quick!!! but It drops off In 1/4 mile

Here Is my friends subaru bogging the same way that night!!

YouTube - Sonic's Suby STI At Famoso Raceway (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEMiBkdVsE&NR=1)

I missed the part where you listed you had a gt30...

I thought you were still on a stock turbo.

420 seems a bit high with those mods, what kinda dyno were you on?

rb25_s13*CHUKI
08-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I missed the part where you listed you had a gt30...

I thought you were still on a stock turbo.

420 seems a bit high with those mods, what kinda dyno were you on?

Dyno dynamics. Ohh and frogot to mention tuned on 101 octane

Daniel.
08-21-2009, 05:55 PM

yup that'll do it.

There's no way you made anything close to 420awhp on a dyno dynamics on 91....

PANGES
08-21-2009, 05:57 PM

What was your trap speed and what kind of 30r turbo kit u running?

!Zar!
08-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I ran a gt30 with 91octane on my sti at GST and hit 409 at the wheels.

I think it was 1.7bar at the time.

S14_Kouki
08-24-2009, 04:56 PM
I love evo's i use to like sti's i still like them but iv had a chance to drive a evo and sti i love the interior on the evo and the performance over a sti.

racecar11
08-24-2009, 05:05 PM
both are good cars..

I like STi's but I just see them too often.. driven by spoiled kids.

If someone drives an evo they are most likely an enthusiast.

up to you really

Go with an EVO..

fromxtor
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm personally thinking about selling my Titan due to lack of use (18k in just shy of 3 years), and get either a STi or an Evo.