PDA

View Full Version : what else do i need?

iLOVEmyS13
08-08-2009, 02:11 PM
i'm ordering my struts and springs,
other than the struts and springs themselves
is there anything else i will need? as far as
mounts or hardware? both are rated for my car

thanks.

Stiky
08-08-2009, 03:53 PM
go coils.

/thread

zenki.life
08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
no. and it would be a waste. struts/shocks $450. springs $180. for 200 dollars more you could get full coilovers

BoostedCoupe
08-08-2009, 04:11 PM
^^^x23423434 dont waste money on springs and struts. get good coils.

MrFairlady
08-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Sell -
Buy Coils and RUCA,lower Ties DONE

iLOVEmyS13
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
My car is a daily driver not a track car..
i don't need coil overs..

iLOVEmyS13
08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
can someone actually contribute to this thread and answer my question and not steer me in another direction with another buy.

i want to know if there are any other extra parts im going to need to install my struts and springs on my 93' coupe.

KYB AGX and Eibach sportlines is what i am ordering.

NINJASPY
08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
No, you dont need anything else except tools, maybe reuse the old bumpstops.

kyb agx ok for stock setup/dailydriver
eibach sportlines are progressive i believe... which suck, and they lower too much for such soft rates.
might as well get a sleeve type coilover to put over the agx's

just because its a full coil-over does not mean its for the track, there are soft setups and firm/stiff setups. 99% of coilover cars are daily driven.

springs= 100-200
struts= 200-400(for lower end)

you are better off getting a used set of shocks/springs or used coilovers, which can be had for around 500-600 and resale value will be high if they stay in good condition.

scuba_steve91
08-08-2009, 07:43 PM
You might want to order the KYB dust boots for the shocks to prevent rocks and debris from getting into your shocks. And if you plan to install it by yourself, you'll need a spring compressor. Impact gun and torque wrench is also recommended.

$nicklefritz
08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
d.y.s. list
struts
springs
highly recommend the front and rear mounts (aka caps)
boots and stoppers
maybe fresh hardware if youre nuts and bolts are ancient
and of course the tools to get the job done
spring comp.... 19mm, 17mm, 14mm sockets ect ect
if you get an impact gun should have it done in no time

azndoc
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
WTF are we back to 1995?

Let me guess you came from the honda world didn't you?

iLOVEmyS13
08-08-2009, 09:06 PM
WTF are we back to 1995?

some of us could be, considering the economy is to shit.

yes, you're so funny.

The Chad
08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
d.y.s. list
struts
springs
highly recommend the front and rear mounts (aka caps)
boots and stoppers
maybe fresh hardware if youre nuts and bolts are ancient
and of course the tools to get the job done
spring comp.... 19mm, 17mm, 14mm sockets ect ect
if you get an impact gun should have it done in no time
Exact List for what you want to do. I have the same set-up as you. It's fine but i'd do the Pro-kit vs the Sport lines if I had to do it again. Better yet a softer/not track savvy set of coil-overs, but i'm not here to steer you in another direction.

iLOVEmyS13
08-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Exact List for what you want to do. I have the same set-up as you. It's fine but i'd do the Pro-kit vs the Sport lines if I had to do it again. Better yet a softer/not track savvy set of coil-overs, but i'm not here to steer you in another direction.

i talked to a guy who wanted the sportlines over his pro-kit set.
what suaded your decision to want the prokit?

i like the fact that the drop is lower and rides more like stock

ILoveMyRHS13
08-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Gah, this question is asked alllllllllllll the time. It's the same damn thing over and over again. People say get coilovers. Do you know why? It's the better option. My car is my daily driver and I'm on PBM (STIFF coils) and it's really not that bad. If you want to waste your money, be my guest, but listen to the people who actually HAVE experience with these things, buy the right thing, the first time.

5t341tH
08-09-2009, 01:33 AM
seriously, get coilovers.
i had springs/shocks only because my parts car came with it (kyb agx/sportlines)
i then bought coilovers (apexi, JIC, KBEE) and they were all much better.
i daily'd that car too
now my daily lexus also has coils and its a smooth, comfy ride

lflkajfj12123
08-09-2009, 01:47 AM
coilovers

you TOOL

jamg
08-09-2009, 02:08 AM
you're going to need a spring compressor if you want to install them.

but get coils.

hOngsterr
08-09-2009, 03:22 AM
man you guys are mean....
lol

my set up is AGX front and rear with sleeves with eibach ground control springs.
im fine with that
=]

aoiken3
08-09-2009, 03:54 AM
man you guys are mean....
lol

my set up is AGX front and rear with sleeves with eibach ground control springs.
im fine with that
=]

yeah but probably didnt go around consulting all of zilvia about it.

to the op, if you didnt know better, welcome to zilvia. and get coils

slow40sx
08-09-2009, 04:00 AM
you won't need a spring compressor to install them, they're lowering springs they'll go right on no problem, atleast my sportlines went on to my AGX's without problem, and then they went into the garbage cause they are a waste of fucking money, my shitty D2 coilovers ride a fuck ton better than AGX and sportlines, shock and spring combo is a complete waste of money in my opinion, and also 240's with wheel gap make me nauseous, but if you think shocks and springs are gonna do it for ya then i guess thats sweet...:goyou:

xpertsnowcarver
08-09-2009, 04:02 AM
maybe the zilviabot could automatically answer questions like these... or better yet, block them, what the heck..

Forge_55b
08-09-2009, 05:28 AM
since everyone says go coilovers and doesn't really say what you need i guess i'll chime in......

you need to get spring compressors to compress the stock springs because you are likely going to have to reuse the dust covers, bumpstops, and top mounts. coilovers are NOT the end all for all drivers.......some people don't want to have adjustability or rather do they care about it, ride height doesn't need to be changed other then what they get. If they get some Swift springs and konis, the car will actually drive really well.

ixfxi
08-09-2009, 10:00 AM
My car is a daily driver not a track car..
i don't need coil overs..

point made................ and well understood

WTF are we back to 1995?

point not made....... apparently some people just cant get it. HE DOESNT WANT FUCKING COILOVERS.

since everyone says go coilovers and doesn't really say what you need i guess i'll chime in......

you need to get spring compressors to compress the stock springs because you are likely going to have to reuse the dust covers, bumpstops, and top mounts. coilovers are NOT the end all for all drivers.......some people don't want to have adjustability or rather do they care about it, ride height doesn't need to be changed other then what they get. If they get some Swift springs and konis, the car will actually drive really well.

you need springs, shocks, boots/bumpstops (if you dont already have them) and new strut mount insulators. i would recommend camber plates instead of OEM isolators, as a set of good camber plates are great for adjustment and you can re-use them later if you DO decide to buy fucking coilovers.

i ran for YEARS with tokico blue shock and spring combo, never hated it.. always liked it. great setup and i blew the doors off of cars with shitty coilovers because people put too much time into COILOVERS and dont realize that there are a million other crucial components that come together and makeup whats called a SUSPENSION. youre better off putting that extra money into wheel/tire setup if you dont already have that.

2 friends are running nismo suspension (shock & springs) with excellent results... i dont think you'll be disappointed. if youre do decide to go coilovers, it will still cost a lot more for a GOOD street coilover setup.. i wouldnt settle for anything less than tein flex (or better) for nice street comfort. a lot of these coilovers have spring rates that are just too damn stiff and not feasible for street use

iLOVEmyS13
08-09-2009, 12:32 PM
apparently some people just cant get it. HE DOESNT WANT FUCKING COILOVERS.

Jesus christ.. finally..

you need springs, shocks, boots/bumpstops (if you dont already have them) and new strut mount insulators. i would recommend camber plates instead of OEM isolators, as a set of good camber plates are great for adjustment and you can re-use them later if you DO decide to buy fucking coilovers.

Where can i purchase said boots/bumpstops and camber plates?
is this something i can find online or through the nissan dealer?

Sorry for being a total noob, and not knowing anything about suspension. Tis why i post such a topic, no need for flame.

enkei2k
08-09-2009, 12:49 PM
dude, really not to sound like a douche, there's this thing called 'Google'. It helps you find stuff, really.

camber plates, there's an advertiser special...
http://zilvia.net/f/advertiser-specials-sales/175487-alignment-special-spc-camber-kits-toe-kits-caster-kits-only-best.html

bump stops i have no idea wtf they are, but a quick google showed up these:
http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/bumpst.html
Energy Suspension, so just look around there for what you need.

ixfxi
08-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Jesus christ.. finally..

Where can i purchase said boots/bumpstops and camber plates?
is this something i can find online or through the nissan dealer?

Sorry for being a total noob, and not knowing anything about suspension. Tis why i post such a topic, no need for flame.

step 1, go to courtesyparts and look at the blowup of your suspension so you can see what parts are involved, or buy an fsm if you dont already have one.. because you need this shit

step 2, bump stops on the s13 i believe are separate from the dust boots, but they could be integrated.. i forget. my sc is integrated, my s13 i recall being separate

step 3, camber plates.. just buy some tein ones. there are other brands, but ive had good results with tein. you can get them from numerous vendors.. i wont plug anyone because i am friends with too many vendors and hate when they think i am playing favorites. just buy from someone reputable and honest.

Stiky
08-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I said go for coils because of the fact I am. I've got KYB GR2 and stock springs from the previous owner and they roll to much for my liking. To add to this I am in Canada and alot of you guys do not know how shitty our roads are, even still I am going to go for a 9K up front 7K out back spring rate on my coilovers. Lowering springs and struts are a waste of money.

Edit: Get swaybars before that little setup you're going for as they will immediately increase your handling even more so than coils.

BustedS13
08-09-2009, 10:56 PM
the OP's post HAS been answered, so now to go off topic.

DECENT shocks (read: KYB AGX) are going to run you ~$450 shipped.
DECENT springs (read: Tein S-Tech, Eibach Prokit/Sportline) are going to run you ~$200 shipped.
less, of course, if you buy used or find a deal.

YOU CANNOT BUY "DECENT" COILOVERS FOR $650. SO SHUT THE FUCK UP WITH THE BULLSHIT ABOUT BUYING COILS INSTEAD. IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO CONTRIBUTE, SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH AND GO BACK TO NICO, YOU FUCKING ASSCLOWN.

Stiky
08-09-2009, 11:07 PM
I'm trying to steer the OP in the right direction. His setup is decent but if he saved up another 200-300 he could have a nice set of coils, I'm not a person to waste money on unneeded stuff. I know lowering springs are garbage, and KYB's are not stiff at all. If I was going to run his setup I'd get basic lowering springs, KYB GR2s and sway bars, as that will stiffen his chassis up majorly and the swaybars ALONE will make a huge difference. I don't know about in the states but his setup here I know someone selling it for $350 CAD all 4 corners with 2500KM on them. As for your little profanity against me, you can get "DECENT" coils for $650 USD. My set of HSD's which I'm going to pick up for $950 CAD translates to about $700-750 USD, albeit that's with me being patient and waiting for my supplier to set up a group buy.

Edit: But to give him the PROPER answer to his question all you need is some basic tools, a 17MM wrench, 17MM socket and a ratchet. Penetrating oil would help too, and you might want a grinder incase your bolts are rotten, so to be proactive order the strut mount bolts from Nissan, theyre 15 CAD each nut and bolt combo. You might also want a torch as it will help you loosen the bolts. Along with this, preloading the LCA with a floor jack will help make the bolts easier to take out, and make sure you undo the bottom bolts on the knuckle before the top bolts and then it should just drop out. My apologies though for trying to give someone some advice.

BustedS13
08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm trying to steer the OP in the right direction. His setup is decent but if he saved up another 200-300 he could have a nice set of coils, I'm not a person to waste money on unneeded stuff. I know lowering springs are garbage, and KYB's are not stiff at all. If I was going to run his setup I'd get basic lowering springs, KYB GR2s and sway bars, as that will stiffen his chassis up majorly and the swaybars ALONE will make a huge difference. I don't know about in the states but his setup here I know someone selling it for $350 CAD all 4 corners with 2500KM on them. As for your little profanity against me, you can get "DECENT" coils for $650 USD. My set of HSD's which I'm going to pick up for $950 CAD translates to about $700-750 USD, albeit that's with me being patient and waiting for my supplier to set up a group buy.

Edit: But to give him the PROPER answer to his question all you need is some basic tools, a 17MM wrench, 17MM socket and a ratchet. Penetrating oil would help too, and you might want a grinder incase your bolts are rotten, so to be proactive order the strut mount bolts from Nissan, theyre 15 CAD each nut and bolt combo. You might also want a torch as it will help you loosen the bolts. Along with this, preloading the LCA with a floor jack will help make the bolts easier to take out, and make sure you undo the bottom bolts on the knuckle before the top bolts and then it should just drop out. My apologies though for trying to give someone some advice.

you've said quite a bit. but in the end, you suggested GR2's instead of AGX's, and you said you can get decent coilovers for $650. you've made it clear that you're young and new at this. move along

$nicklefritz
08-09-2009, 11:46 PM
you get what you pay for ....
remembr coilovers are an investment wether it be performance , or resale value
going with the cheapo's nota smart idea ,

but besides that this guy isnt gonna put them on his car so everyone stop
telling him to get coilovers , this thread wasnt about wether or not he should go
with coilovers or springs and struts :snoop:

ixfxi
08-10-2009, 12:26 AM
there are so many nice quality shock and spring combos out there that will offer absolute superior performance when compared to the shitty (ie: maegan, obx) coilovers.

reality is this: what is more important, height adjustability or quality shock/spring?

like i said earlier, i have 2 friends with oe nismo shock/springs and the ride is really damn nice, no complaints on my behalf. if shit is "too soft" for you hardcore folks, maybe you should start considering OTHER parts of the suspsension... beit bushings, strut mount insulators, sways, and increasing chassis rigidity.

one thing i will say is that waaaaaaaay too many people over-emphasis on ONE part of the suspension and dont look at the BIG PICTURE. suspension design has so much to do with the entire car as opposed to JUST a threaded shock with a bullshit spring.

Stiky
08-10-2009, 09:30 AM
you've said quite a bit. but in the end, you suggested GR2's instead of AGX's, and you said you can get decent coilovers for $650. you've made it clear that you're young and new at this. move along

I may be young but I do know more than I should for my age, I'm skipping running shocks except for winter. The HSDs I'm getting are $950 my price but MRSP is $1250 CAD. I say GR2 struts because of the fact I prefer the ride over AGXs. But I guess I have no business in this thread I'm trying to help a person out, that's all. As for the coils I'm buying being cheap, one of my friends has the HSDs and he beats the SHIT out of them, tracks every weekend, has over 10,000 KM on them and daily drives them on shitty CAD roads with no problems.

Stiky
08-10-2009, 10:56 AM

I may be young but I do know more than I should for my age, I'm skipping running shocks except for winter. The HSDs I'm getting are $950 my price but MRSP is $1250 CAD. I say GR2 struts because of the fact I prefer the ride over AGXs. But I guess I have no business in this thread I'm trying to help a person out, that's all. As for the coils I'm buying being cheap, one of my friends has the HSDs and he beats the SHIT out of them, tracks every weekend, has over 10,000 KM on them and daily drives them on shitty CAD roads with no problems.

g-via
08-10-2009, 12:04 PM
^^how do you double post 1 hr 26 min from each other?!

axiomatik
08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Years ago I had the KYB AGX and Pro-kit combo. Rode quite nicely for the price, and I enjoyed them for years. Take a look at your top mounts, especially in the front. Mine were dry-rotted and cracked, I ended up replacing them about a year after I put on the spring/struts, I think I paid $75 or so each. You will need a spring compressor in order to install the springs onto the struts. Just go to Autozone and you can rent one for free. You put down a deposit ($40?), and then they refund it when you return it. I also bought new dust boots for the struts. KYB made them, but they didn't last long before they started to tear. Other than that, just sockets and basic hand tools really.

Ignore all the idiots yelling about coilovers. If it's not what you want, don't get them. Most of them are running around on shitty coils, made by companies with no experience developing dampers, and they probably only bought them for looks. In my opinion, the s-chassis is too floppy to make good use of coilovers. Unless you plan on seam welding or cages/roll bars, I think most coilovers are too stiff for the chassis. You can't buy good coilovers for $950, and certainly not for $650.

iLOVEmyS13
08-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the usefull info everyone.

My springs came in today, they look nice.
my struts are in transit, so ill be installing
these later in the week. thanks again