PDA

View Full Version : Deoderant/Anti-Perspirant

Dutchmalmiss
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Seems I can't figure out which one to get each time. Either one smells like shit, leaves white shit all over the place, or just doesn't work. I've tried speed stick and that flakes when I apply it and continues to flake throughout the day. Right guard gel feels too wet and makes my shirt pits wet too. What do you use and give me your review on it. I need a new kind before I spend money on another useless brand. Thanks.

edit. fuck my spelling.

BustedS13
08-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Axe Dry "Sharp Focus" invigorating mint has been my only stick for like two years, it's the best.
this combined with Axe Proximity Bergamot or CK Be is my daily ritual
also green Gold Bond if i deem it necessary

exitspeed
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I use only natural juices and berries.

atutt
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
White stuff leaves marks. Dry gel things make my pits burn and itch all day.
All I can use are wet gels.... :( I use Gillette stuff. It works and does it's job.

Dutchmalmiss
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Does pit hair have anything to do with it? Like is there a certain type for hairy pits? Cuz being half-dutch sucks in that department haha.

CrimsonRockett
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I started using Right Guard Xtreme Dry w/powerstripe about 3 months ago.

Came from using a basic Axe deodorant that didn't do SHIT.

Nasty sweat smell is gone. Barely any sweat(and this is when I'm working like crazy).

Best thing I've ever used.

ms!3
08-05-2009, 12:40 PM
old spice clear gel.

BustedS13
08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
White stuff leaves marks. Dry gel things make my pits burn and itch all day.
All I can use are wet gels.... :( I use Gillette stuff. It works and does it's job.

i can't use gel for the same reason. burns and itches like hell. then you go to scratch it through your shirt and then your shirt is covered in greasy gel. fuck it, use a stick, undershirts are meant to be destroyed

Z33dori
08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

Nasty sweat smell is gone. Barely any sweat(and this is when I'm working like crazy).

it really is the best stuff out there....

but to whoever asked... pit hair can have alot to do with it.... cut it all off or trim it down, and you will have much better results in not being smelly as soon as you start sweating

BustedS13
08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
pit hair can have alot to do with it.... cut it all off

god DAMMIT

Dutchmalmiss
08-05-2009, 01:00 PM
god DAMMIT

HAHAH serious. I feel manly as hell with hairy pits though.

I LUV MY S13
08-05-2009, 01:03 PM

YUP SHIT IS THA BOMB

i shave too idk if that helps

Z33dori
08-05-2009, 01:06 PM
HAHAH serious. I feel manly as hell with hairy pits though.

well next time your out with you lady friend, ask her how much she likes overly hairy arm pits. It might just change you mind.

Most of the girls i've dated don't like much at all, luckily mine doesn't grow like beast hair.. lol

ravinaziankid
08-05-2009, 01:09 PM
I use right guard extreme too..been using it for years and it's pretty good. Leaves you fresh all day and night. Also Axe is pretty good, but expensive.

Dutchmalmiss
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Looks like Right Guard Xtreme it is, for me. There better be nice scents.

BustedS13
what an effeminate coast. JUSS SAYIN

coww-cho!!!!!
i used to use the right guard extreme with that power stripe when in came in blue on blue but they changed to a green power stripe on white and i didnt wanna btoher buying it so i bought the next best thing for me and thats DEGREE: Silver Ion technology : scent is artic edge
http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/214463/200.JPG

my girlfriend loves it she says it gives a cologne type scent and other girls say the same ;)

i was wearing a light grey shirt yesterday and my friend wore a light shirt as well and it was hot outside at and i saw his sweat stains but i was sweating as well but i had no sweat stains what so ever ....like thise commercials haha but i might add that im in the hair dept and after you sweat once it leaves your skin feeling like you just put baby power underneath them
hope this helps
on second thought
if your not sure then just go to the store and test one each day i know some people sample in the store since i somtetimes see hairs or ripped seals on top thats why i always check my shit

DALAZ_68
08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
Old spice Pure sport

either the clear or the blueish gel...both work insanely well...i currently using the white gel...not liking the flaking...going back to clear gel version

chris_240sx
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM

x3? maybe 4? idk, anyway i used that stuff for about a year and it worked great. (xtreme with powerstripe) the only complaint i had was it would leave white stuff all over my shirts so i went to the gel. its kinda wet at first, but after a minute its all good

HyperTek
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
i used to use clear gel years ago but still would sweat.. white sticks i wont sweat, tho you get the chance of getting white marks on your tshirt if you put them on fast. Right now im using Old Spice cuz im on a budget. Walmart has the cheapest deoderant imo. fawk all the scents it doesnt really matter.. Ill do a blast of axe spray to the center of the chest for scent.

Z33dori
08-05-2009, 01:17 PM
yea Degree power w/e is also really good, and they usually come in double packs for like 4 bucks....

rokmplutonium
08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Old spice Pure sport

either the clear or the blueish gel...both work insanely well...i currently using the white gel...not liking the flaking...going back to clear gel version

+1 for Old Spice.
I recently bought some Gillette Triple protection, but it doesnt seem like its working.

Slammed180
08-05-2009, 01:21 PM
old spice clear gel.

x2
Only shit that doesn't leave white marks, or irritate my skin.

emersonLP
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Last 3 I used:

Old Spice: Red zone high performance solid - I like how it is soft and white - no residue and no sticky gel feeling either but it is not cutting it for the hot summer anymore.

I switched to Degree and it worked great and felt pretty good, but it made me itchy.

Now Im back to Old Spice but I got the "High endurance invisible solid" It works well and lasts a long time but it leaves some white residue... no itch though so I am happy with it for now.

Maybe Ill try that right guard stuff next time.

Phlip
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Old Spice High Endurance, I use the "Fresh" one, I use the blue ones, the white ones have a tendency to flake and leave little white dingleberry-like things in my pit hair, which I hated... I usually switch to something else every other stick, I use a 2-on, 1-off approach.

HyperTek
08-05-2009, 01:35 PM
you guys should trim your pits.. no one is gonna say your a queer for it lmao. just run over it with hair clippers , not all the way but just shorter.. at first the stubble will have like a poke feeling but it will go away fast. then after that, just maintain it short. easier and less application of deoderant too.

BustedS13
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
i have no qualms about TRIMMING. i use a guard and get it done. i have the same problem Phlip has/had with deodorant dingleberries.

but shaving your armpits? CMON!

silly_13
08-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Tawas

sadkjfnadsfsd

murda-c
08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm a Mitchum man.

But yeah other anti perspirants made my pits burn, this is the only one i've never had a problem with. The solid doesn't leave many white marks, and it's strong enough that you don't have to put on like 264038 layers and end up with armpit dingleberries.

The Gel works just as well, plus it's usually cheap at the walmart.

unscented usually, maybe "fresh" if i'm feeling frisky.

nevertheless
08-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Axe sucks! old spice swagger is where its at.

axiomatik
08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
antiperspirant sucks, I hate the texture/residue. Deodorants only. I've been using Old Spice High Endurance for years. Love it. Original Scent, smells like cologne, wife likes it too.

pignose4life
08-05-2009, 02:53 PM
ive been using this since my pits started smelling and have not been disappointed
http://rizzojn.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/old-spice-high-endurance-deodorant.jpg

Matej
08-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Antiperspirants clog pores and cause cancer.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.beautysteals.com/images/products/03907531003.jpg

ballin' out of control.

bardabe
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
ive been using this since my pits started smelling and have not been disappointed
http://rizzojn.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/old-spice-high-endurance-deodorant.jpg

best shit ever, I use it too. with hairy pits and everything

burninskulls0911
08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
this shit is where its at
http://www.splendicity.com/sheknowsbest/files/2009/07/old-spice-ever-clear1.jpg

Flipzide
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I've been using Old Spice since I was a freshman in High School. It works well, keeps my pits dry, and smells good.

My favorite scent is After Hours.

http://a1061.g.akamai.net/7/1061/5412/home/www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/244109.jpg

silviaguy240
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Arrid extra dry spray

http://img.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/419941.jpg

Frixco_240
08-05-2009, 05:34 PM

this one is #1

silly_13
08-05-2009, 05:43 PM
antiperspirant sucks, I hate the texture/residue. Deodorants only. I've been using Old Spice High Endurance for years. Love it. Original Scent, smells like cologne, wife likes it too.
but antiperspirant prevents sweat.

808DRFTR
08-05-2009, 05:51 PM
I've been using Degree for years, I see a lot of people using right guard with the power stripe. Might have to try that since its hot here in arizona (115 degrees today)

hellaslows13
08-05-2009, 05:59 PM
Old spice here.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/01/20/44/00/0001204400024_215X215.jpg

Slammed180
08-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I've been using Degree for years, I see a lot of people using right guard with the power stripe. Might have to try that since its hot here in arizona (115 degrees today)

If the power strip works so well, why not make the whole stick out of that power strip concoction?

People are such suckers to marketing.

SochBAT
08-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Old Spice Artic Force/Swagger as of recent.

WIN!!!!!!

flip3d
08-05-2009, 07:22 PM
irish spring speed stick gel

shit turns the underarms of my black t-shirts white though.

r6_240sx
08-05-2009, 07:34 PM
http://rizzojn.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/old-spice-high-endurance-deodorant.jpgx2

Quoting with image tag cuz its that good.

dert420sx
08-05-2009, 07:41 PM
speed stick 24/7 gel in cool fusion or aqua sport.
been using it for years and has never failed me.
sometimes they're 2 for 5 bucks at ralph's.

http://www.overstockdrugstore.com/product_images/x/022200956055.jpg

randomxzero
08-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Old Spice is the shit!!..
but i use this before playing any sports and that stuff still smells good when im done with a game... :D
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq99/rodeo_drive2009/IMG_4771.jpg

ronmcdon
08-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Wait, let's clarify some of the definitions here.

As far as I know, the an 'antiperspirant' is just a substance that blocks sweat.
With Deodorants, all it is, is something that masks the smell of body odor & maybe contain alcohol to kill off the bacteria that forms in the sweat.
Deodorants can come with, or without antiperspirants.

Deodorants with antiperspirant, gives off a good odor, AND blocks the sweat pores.
Deodorants without antipespirant, gives off a good odor, but does NOT block the sweating at all.
So you may smell ok, but you will be sweating uncomfortably.
Anti-perspire, to me, would seem that it's a product to prevent perspiration or sweating.

I have not heard of a commercial product that only acts as an antiperspirant, but not as a deodorant.
Well...Botox could serve that purpose, but that's a separate & arguably entirely different solution.

Reason ppl go with non-antiperspirant deodorant, is b/c of the aluminum contained inside anti-aspirants rumored to increase the likelihood of developing neurological damage, including Alzheimer's.

You will typically see non-antiperspirant deodorants sold at a lot of those 'organic' markets, like Whole Foods.

Deodorant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiperspirant)

Deodorants — classified and regulated as over-the-counter (OTC) cosmetics by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA)[4] — are designed to eliminate odor. The first commercial deodorant, Mum, was introduced in the late nineteenth century. Deodorants are usually alcohol-based. Alcohol initially stimulates sweating, but may also temporarily kill bacteria.[5] Deodorants can be formulated with other, more persistent antimicrobials such as triclosan, or with metal chelant compounds that slow bacterial growth. Deodorants may contain perfume fragrances intended to mask the odor of perspiration. Natural substances, such as hops extract,[6] are sometimes used as the antimicrobial agent.

Deodorants may be combined with antiperspirants — classified as drugs by the FDA — which attempt to stop or significantly reduce perspiration and thus reduce the moist climate in which bacteria thrive. Aluminium chloride, aluminium chlorohydrate, and aluminium-zirconium compounds, most notably Aluminium zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly and Aluminium zirconium trichlorohydrex gly, are the most widely used antiperspirants. Aluminium-based complexes react with the electrolytes in the sweat to form a gel plug in the duct of the sweat gland. The plugs prevent the gland from excreting liquid and are removed over time by the natural sloughing of the skin. The metal salts work in another way to prevent sweat from reaching the surface of the skin: the aluminum salts interact with the keratin fibrils in the sweat ducts and form a physical plug that prevents sweat from reaching the skin’s surface. Aluminum salts also have a slight astringent effect on the pores; causing them to contract, further preventing sweat from reaching the surface of the skin.[7] The blockage of a large number of sweat glands reduces the amount of sweat produced in the underarms, though this may vary from person to person.

BustedS13
08-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Antiperspirants clog pores and cause cancer.

uh, clogs your pores with metal. cyborgs don't get cancer.

ronmcdon
08-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Health effects from Wiki;

Matej, I think only breast cancer might be a risk, and a questionable one at that.
unless you are losing sleep over the possibility of getting breast cancer, and/or some eerie unbalance of estrogen, I wouldn't worry.
Not sure how that would play out with man-tits or polyutherene variants (should that be applicable).

Deodorant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiperspirant)

Aluminium neurotoxicity

Aluminium, present most often in antiperspirants, but not usually present in non-antiperspirant deodorants, has been established as a neurotoxin.[11][12][13] Aluminum itself adversely affects the blood-brain barrier, it is capable of causing DNA damage, and has adverse epigenetic effects.[11][14] Research has shown that the aluminum salts used in antiperspirants have detrimental effects to a number of species such as non-human primates,[15] mice,[16] dogs[17] and others. An increased amount of aluminum is also present in the brains of many Alzheimer's patients, although this link does not seem to be causal.[18][19][20]

Experiments with mice applying aqueous solution of aluminum chloride to the skin resulted in "a significant increase in urine, serum, and whole brain aluminum"[21] and transplacental passage.[16]

[edit] Cancer

Rumors[22][23] surfaced on the Internet in the 1990s that antiperspirants have a link in causing breast cancer; these are now widely considered to be an urban myth.[24] According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and the American Cancer Society (ACS), these claims are largely unsubstantiated by scientific research.[25][26]

NCI considered two studies that address the breast cancer claims: A 2002 study of over 800 patients at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Institute that found no link between breast cancer and the use of antiperspirant/deodorant;[27] and a study of 437 cancer patients, published in 2003 by the European Journal of Cancer Prevention, which found a correlation between earlier diagnosis of breast cancer and antiperspirant/deodorant use.[28] The NCI's analysis of the second study said that it "does not demonstrate a conclusive link between these underarm hygiene habits and breast cancer. Additional research is needed to investigate this relationship and other factors that may be involved."[29]

One school of thought, advanced by the studies of researcher Dr. Phillipa Darbre, hypothesizes that particular substances in deodorants, such as preservatives called parabens, or salts such as aluminum chloride used in antiperspirants, get into the bloodstream or accumulate in breast tissue, where they enhance or emulate the effects of estrogen, which stimulates the growth of cancerous breast cells.[30][31] The ACS and other scientists consider these studies to be early and inconclusive, but merit further research; Darbre also stated that her findings did not show causality. The main reservations have to do with the source and significance of the parabens or other toxic substances.[32] Michael Thun, MD, of the ACS argued that even if some of the substances in antiperspirants do promote tumor growth, the risk from cosmetic use appears minuscule compared with other known tumor promoters — from 500 to 10,000 times less potent than taking oral estrogen or being obese.[33]

[edit] Renal dysfunction

The FDA warns "that people with renal dysfunction may not be aware that the daily use of antiperspirant drug products containing aluminum may put them at a higher risk because of exposure to aluminum in the product."[34] The agency warns people with renal dysfunction to consult a doctor before using antiperspirants containing aluminum.

theronin
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
best shit ever, I use it too. with hairy pits and everything

THIS!

i get compliments daily from coworkers saying i smell amazing.... and i dont use anything other than deodorant. weird huh.

Dutchmalmiss
08-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I'll probably just get a stick of both the Old Spice High Endurance and Right Guard Xtreme. They seem to be getting the most positive reviews.

koolkevin1107
08-05-2009, 09:10 PM
You guys should try the new gillette clinical strength deodorant. I got two samples the other day and i'm like i'll give em a shot. I've been using old spice red zone aqua clean for years, but it still never 100% kept me dry (I'm kinda a bigger guy and hairy, so we sweat more).

I followed the directions of using at night cuz it's supposed to "absorb." I thought it was B.S until i used it. the next day, not ONE drop of sweat! No joke! I was even helping someone move and i wasn't sweating at all! I've been using this sample for a week now, and it's definitely strong.

One thing i also hated about the old spice was that it would make my undershirts yellow-ish, but the gillette one says it won't. I'm going to check it out.

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/hpc/detail-page/B000X92DJO-1-lg.jpg

BustedS13
08-05-2009, 09:19 PM
that clinical strength stuff just has a shitload of aluminum in it... i honestly didn't like it, i felt like it made me sweat out of other pores. also it fucked up several tshirts.

this is the best antiperspirant i've found. smells great, works great, and it isn't a huge mess. yes, Axe has a bad name and makes a lot of shit products. this (and the Proximity line) are exceptions

http://img.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/418035.jpg

koolkevin1107
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I havn't used the gillette long enough to see how it works wit ma shirts but so far it's workin on my body, where it's supposed to.

GSXRJJordan
08-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Old Spice High Endurance, I use the "Fresh" one, I use the blue ones, the white ones have a tendency to flake and leave little white dingleberry-like things in my pit hair, which I hated... I usually switch to something else every other stick, I use a 2-on, 1-off approach.

That's the same shit I use! Not an antiperspirant, but I don't mind.

you guys should trim your pits.. no one is gonna say your a queer for it lmao. just run over it with hair clippers , not all the way but just shorter.. at first the stubble will have like a poke feeling but it will go away fast. then after that, just maintain it short. easier and less application of deoderant too.

Agreed. I run that shit over with a '3' clip once every few weeks, keeps me from lookin like I have Don King in a headlock.

Someone actually said that to me in the gym while I was doing pull ups. True story.

Agreeeeeed. I accidentally picked up a double-pack of OG scent instead of Fresh, and it's not bad.

ranger240
08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
wow between this and the ass itch thread zilvia has gone decidingly grimey and wimpy

keistyle
08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
old spice clear gel.

i agree.

i get the 'Sport' scent.

Best stuff i have used, in fact, its the ONLY thing i use now.

Works very well.

g00se
08-05-2009, 11:53 PM
toms natural's apricot antiperspirant for some reason it smells awesome

satal95
08-06-2009, 12:08 AM
I use Dove sensitive skin deoderant. Laugh if you must but shit has lasted longer then any of the men deoderant that i've ever tried. Been using now for the past 10 years now and wont go back now.

Kamburrito
08-06-2009, 03:17 AM
Old Spice - Pure sport on right pit

Old Spice - Fresh on left pit.

and Axe - Dark Sensation body spray accross the chest. ( not too much just a touch)

so im a walking Scent orgy.

HAHAHAH!

my lady loves it <3

pignose4life
08-06-2009, 03:17 AM
I completely forgot I use this one from time to time when im at my girls house secret deorderent, that shit works so good and it leaves my pits dry and smelling like coconuts all day no matter what i do.

cserrano86
08-06-2009, 08:49 AM
Speed Stick 24/7. I use the Fresh Rush.

http://www.speedsticksports.ca/en/contest/images/speed_neverquits.png

axiomatik
08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
but antiperspirant prevents sweat.

I'm not a huge sweater when it comes to my pits, but I do notice that I sweat less when I use deodorant versus nothing.

Pblesh85
08-06-2009, 10:03 AM
my body is really picky when it comes to deoderant. I cant use ANY AXE CRAP, it make me get dry skin/burn/itch.

the only things I can use is old spice 8hr protection, or wet gel.

Also right guard wet gel works great.

ILoveMyRHS13
08-06-2009, 10:20 AM

Fucking right.

I couldn't find it this time around. :(

I had to settle with the stuff that doesn't have the PowerStripe. Oh well.