PDA

View Full Version : For those of us who've been around awhile...

mrmephistopheles
04-21-2003, 02:15 PM
Has anybody else noticed (specifically in the past 6 months or so) a large influx of newbs who buy swapped 240s and have NO idea what they've gotten into? It's kind of stressing to me..
Maybe it's just the fact that I like to be thorough and know what i'm getting into..
I've had my 240 for almost 3 years now, and with the money I've spent on modifying it, could have easily had an SR by now, but to be honest with you, I'm still waffling between motors. I just don't understand why a person would be so willing to jump headlong into a project car that's a complete mystery to them. I could understand more if the car was an older muscle car or a semi-exotic, but the 240 is a relatively cheap car, and typically not interesting to the population at large.

Is it just me or is the :bandwagon: strong with newbs nowadays?

-Kevin

mrmephistopheles
04-21-2003, 02:17 PM
On a side note, the idea of buying a 240 just to swap an SR in it is disconcerting to me. I know of people who've bought a motorset BEFORE they picked up their car. I'm not knocking them, I'm just saying I don't like it. I think you should buy the car because you like the car, not because you have a motor to swap into it. I think the SR bandwagon is just too much.

ca18guy
04-21-2003, 03:08 PM
The first big influx of newbies I remember was in March 2002. Seriously look around, alot of the high posters on the site are Mar2002, it was the first big wave of new people and most actually stuck around. Anyway it was the same then, alot of people with crap dribbling out of their mouth, and the regulars complaining. Right now the magazines really have the ignorant masses whipped up into a frenzy, eventually though they need to move onto a different car cause their narrow attention span won't let them day dream about 240's forever. Then whats left over will be the regulars much like what most of the remaining Mar2002's are. Atleast I can hope thats what will happen, do we really need another newbie bashing thread? :o

Dousan_PG
04-21-2003, 03:15 PM
yeah sonny, lots of newbies
back in my day, we did research! and hard work!
we googled and used the search mode
these damn new kids, always ruffling my feather and whiskers.
i swear if i've seen one newb ive seen them all
damn punk kids!

Kreator
04-21-2003, 03:17 PM
LOL, i actually did come on the board in march hehe. Got the car in february though but it has NOTHING to do with public attention to the car. I was looking for a car, was looking at a pretty wide range, 300zx, 200sx se-r, celicas. And then i stumbled on the 240 pic and was set to buy one. I didn't even plan any modding at first...

But yeah, there seems to be a number of people who bought cars with srs in em. Funny thing you never hear from the people who bought cars with a KA-T in them. Which makes me think that these people are in fact reading the import magazines too much... on the other hand it makes sense to me.... after all they are buying a JDM silvia, you know...:rolleyes:

04-21-2003, 04:25 PM
wow... so 240sx is some sacred car? do i need ur permission to buy one so u wont get annoyed? im a newbie and i wanted to be a drifter just like everyone else with a 240sx. so i bought one and put an sr20det and i don't even know how to drive. so with ur permission, can i own my 240sx? take a chill pill and relax... nissan made them for everyone who wants to own.
so it's not ur problem what owners do with it...

hookedup240
04-21-2003, 04:35 PM
Yes, i have also noticed this i have been on this board for a while and have had my car for 3 years since i got my liscence, and now i am thinking about swapping. All these newb's just read about a 240sx in superstreet and see the swaps and are usually spoiled that have their parents pay for everything and have no idea about the car and just get the engine bought and swaped for them. To tell you the truth i've had my car for 3 years and still don't even know everything about it. Just recently i have been SEARCHING(which alot need to learn how to do) and reading everything i can find on what's needed and how to do the swap, which i probably still won't be able to do for a 1/2 year longer because i have to work and save up all the money by myself like most of you guys, which is unlike most of these newbs who get everything bought for them.

This just doesn't go for 240's and the sr swap but for a lot of other cars. I hate it when people have close to brand new or brand new cars that their parents bought for them, that they dont' even care about if they mess up at all.

This just makes me so mad because i worked for like 4 years(like alot of you guys) to save up for my car. While others do nothing for their cars.

Just venting spoiled kids make me mad.

logo20
04-21-2003, 04:49 PM
wow... so 240sx is some sacred car? do i need ur permission to buy one so u wont get annoyed? im a newbie and i wanted to be a drifter just like everyone else with a 240sx. so i bought one and put an sr20det and i don't even know how to drive. so with ur permission, can i own my 240sx? take a chill pill and relax... nissan made them for everyone who wants to own.
the annoying part is asking stupid questions and questions that have been asked before many times, I don't care what other people do to their car, they can drive it off a cliff as far as I care. not every one with a 240sx wants to be a drifter, or swap a sr engine. I bought my car almost 2 years ago, I didn't even know about sr20det or drifting, and when I learned about it I knew it isn't for me.

dizastaman
04-21-2003, 04:56 PM
I guess i am guilty of all charges.:( I am a 240 noob who bought a 240 just to swap in a sr (which i will be doing in a couple of weeks, i just bought my car last week and my sr is on its way from cali). I'm not doing it because everyone else is doing it, but because it is a fast, cheap and easy swap to do. You can have a great setup for around $6,000 that can tear up on stupid civ hatches with their B18 swaps that they think are soooo awesome. So cuff me, and lock me away.

HaLo
04-21-2003, 05:09 PM
I totally agree! Too much attention on 240's lately. But like ca18guy said, it will all fade out. The SR/Drift fad will disappear just like the Backstreet Boys did. Then and only then, only the enthusiasts will remain.

AKADriver
04-21-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm a freak for research... I've only once bought a car without really thinking it through (my old S12) but even then I never asked simple questions without looking up (and usually finding) the answers first. And that was a rare old car. ClubS12 didn't even exist back then... just the Yahoo mailing list and a few vague web sites. And I STILL found all my answers by myself.

I just don't understand people that don't do research for themselves, before or after buying a car. I don't hold any anger towards them... I'll answer questions if I know the answer is relatively hard to find... I just don't understand why some of these questions get asked in the first place when the answers ARE out there. I mean, very few of the things I know about the 240SX are things I found on my own... it's ALL from reading the internet!

I'm happy to see people taking an interest in what I think is an awesome car. It's already brought down the prices on many parts, especially nice Japanese-made stuff now that a lot of these companies like Bride, RS*R, Tein, and others are opening US offices in response to the "JDM fad".

240Driver39
04-21-2003, 06:21 PM
well, i came here last april may and got my car in june, i will honestly say i didnt really know much about a 240sx, i originally was searchin for a classic SE-R (owned a 92 SE with the ga16de) and i stumbled upon a guy sellin the 240sx in jersey, made the drive, loved it, did some research and picked it up. I have been drivin that same stock car since and love it, only recently putting new suspension pieces on to replace my aging stock suspension and for a nice upgrade. I agree though, the lack of research and there have been a large influx of people, i suspose me (coming after that march influx) am considered a newb, and my post count being low makes me a newb, but i am prob on here every single night, readin, and chimin in when i can. Ive learned a ton that way and i still think this site is great for that. Yeah...its a fad...but so is everything, its a great car, i love it so much if i see one up for sale locally, i will go check it out, and considerin buyin another one, or see if neone i know needs one cause i think they are great cars. yeah i got a novel goin here but eh, whatever..haha

like someone said, the fad will end and those who still love the cars will remain.

SimpleS14
04-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by ca18guy
do we really need another newbie bashing thread? :o

no

Zenki_S14
04-21-2003, 07:42 PM
getting an sr swap is cool, dude!!! i wanna be a drifter like you guys!!! everyone's doing it!!! imagine all the chicks up in my Shizznits!!! c'mon guys, relax, relax. remember when you first smoked cigarettes or weed? you did it cause everyone was doing it and you thought it was cool, and so you jumped on the bandwagon. you didn't know about the toxic in these stuff, but you still did it. this is the same type of $hit. don't flame on these newbies cause they got money. let them do what they wanna do.

Zenki_S14
04-21-2003, 07:59 PM
OMG!!! i just read Siizzzoooo's post on being a new member. he just bought his car and his car is stacked!!! already got an sr and all these other mods. holy $hit!!! F*** what i said. he wants to fix it for show, too. OMG. this sucks @ss.

mrmephistopheles
04-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by HaLo
Then and only then, only the enthusiasts will remain.

For me, that day can't come soon enough.
For the record, this isn't a newbie flaming thread, I'm just seeking opinions and venting.

Originally posted by driftheaven
so it's not ur problem what owners do with it...

I really could rip you up in my reply to your post, but it won't get any of us anywhere, and I have a strong feeling that it most certainly will not enlighten you. I never said the 240 is sacred. I never said I gave 2 ****s about what owners did with them. You will very RARELY find me ripping on someone else's car. I'm not a drifter, and a good 85% (at least) of 240sx owners are NOT. I'll grant that I like driving on the edge, and drifting comes into play, but I don't consider myself a drifter. I'm not seeking to screen potential owners of 240s either. I am just expressing my opinion. Maybe if it didn't apply to you, you wouldn't be so butt-hurt. *shrug*
I never understood why people take things personally when it's someone else's opinion....

HaLo
04-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
For me, that day can't come soon enough.
For the record, this isn't a newbie flaming thread, I'm just seeking opinions and venting.

just be patient and let them say whatever they want to say. I know it's hard (i'm losing myself patience on another forum (www.npclub.com/bb -> french mostly)) but we can all hope that it will die down.

i also agree that this is not a newbie bashing thread. It's more "we're-so-tired-of-the-attention-our-cars-are-getting-for-all-the-bad-reasons".

DuffMan
04-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I dont really understand it. My friend just bought a WRX and neither he nor I know a whole lot about them.

He didn't go to i-club and post a lot of stupid questions, he used their search and google, and I did too, and now we know a lot more about the car and how to mod it.

mrmephistopheles
04-21-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by HaLo
i also agree that this is not a newbie bashing thread. It's more "we're-so-tired-of-the-attention-our-cars-are-getting-for-all-the-bad-reasons".
And a "we're tired of the media exposure of our car and it's negative consequences, etc" thread. :D :D :D

HaLo
04-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
And a "we're tired of the media exposure of our car and it's negative consequences, etc" thread. :D :D :D

I couldn't have said it that well. ;) :D

mrmephistopheles
04-21-2003, 10:29 PM
Shut up, James, lest we ban you. :mad:

heheh:D :D :D

04-21-2003, 11:44 PM
nothing personal mrmephistopheles but 3 years of owning a 240 is not what i would consider "For those of us who've been around awhile..." i owned mine for 2 years and i still consider myself a new kid on the block. i had a 85 corolla gts (ae86) since 1996 and i don't discourage people but instead i help them.

(*not to be specific on drifing, but it's a good example since it's the hot thing right now*)

in my opinion, the problem is when people do the "drift look" and talk about it day in and day out but has no clue on how to do it nor have they even attempted to do it.
they are giving misinformation to other noobs... that's more problem than a noob slapping an sr on his 240.

as a member of this message board and a 240sx owner, i'd rather see you moderators and members alike help newbies and educate them about their cars and stuff, rather than getting antsy on who owns it or if it's a fad or a bandwagon. maybe it's a bandwagon everybody is jumping on to, but if you educate them maybe they will stay? and other newbs can benefit from it... pass down your knowledge.
when im at the tracks, everyone who is interested in drifting i open with a welcome and a smile. i even give them a ride if it's possible, that way they know what they are getting into instead of blind leading a blind. not that i'm a good teacher/instructor but at least i pass what i know. i don't know how many 240sx drivers in LA i have taught, helped and exposed to track racing/drifting. but it's really better to help than to bitch about it.

Dousan_PG
04-21-2003, 11:47 PM
driftheaven got me hooked. i took my first ride
had battleversion alex driving jdmrice's car right behind us (the same day richard's engine took a sh*t)
they were doing tandem. i was :eek: the whole way. never had so much fun in my life.

since then i've been hooked. i give all rides whoever asks me. its fun. makes me work hard not to look sucky hahaha..

mrmephistopheles
04-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by dousan36
(the same day richard's engine took a sh*t)

Which one? :D

mrmephistopheles
04-22-2003, 12:56 AM
and? That was just the day i decided to bite the bullet and join Zilvia (I think at Grant's urging). I'd been on FA for awhile. I remember when Zilvia first started, and I decided not to join, because I liked FA. I didn't see the purpose in joining multiple forums on the same subject. Knock me for my registration date, I don't care. I didn't hop on any bandwagon.

revat619
04-22-2003, 01:26 AM
well i just have to say that all the recent newbie "i wanna be a mAD tYTe DRifTeR yAll!" and "i need an SR now!" bullsh*t threads have really been getting on my nerves. All this recent crap about S15 conversions and crap is just stupid. The JDM bling bling thing is really getting out of hand. :mad:

MRMEPH, i totally feel your frustration!

OH! and all the posting in the wrong sections. "i wanna buy an SR"....in the for sale section. :rolleyes: c'mon now seriously. The worst part is that half the time these people dont even have cars yet. These newbies are soooo quick to jump on the SR band wangon. They want an sr, but they post a thread on how to change their oil and filter. :rolleyes:

i'll be honest, i dont know enough about the KA to be considering any kind of engine swap. Hell, i dont know enough about suspension either. Thats why all i ever do is RESEARCH.

now granted, some newbies arent like this, so to those guys/girls, i apologize. But for the rest of them......stop being stupid. That means, dont talk anymore, just search and read.

EDIT: Ok, this is exactly the kind of stupidity i'm talking about. Five minutes before i posted my reply (probably while i was typing it) and look
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27124
he wants to buy something so he posts in chat :rolleyes:

mrmephistopheles
04-22-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by driftheaven
nothing personal mrmephistopheles but 3 years of owning a 240 is not what i would consider "For those of us who've been around awhile..."
Well, it's not like I said, 'For us old-skoolers' or For those of us that have been around for a long time."
Awhile. Longer than a little bit, shorter than a long time.
That's how I define it. Anyway, to retort your comments, I DO try to pass useful information. Search my posts here at Zilvia. I think I maybe wasted 50 in OT postwhoring. Look in the FAQ section for my Braking FAQ. I DO try to help. Unfortunately, it's hard to spend time replying to user's questions, when the same 10 threads keep popping up (where can i get an SR, do S14 seats fit in S13s, how do i do a 300zx brake swap, what engine came in the 180sx/silvia, who sells s15 conversion parts, etc - and the not-so-often how can i get my car to do a wheelie like in fast & furious?)
Anyway, I DO try to help. I'm a cynical and sarcastic guy, and a very readily admitted asshole. If you know me in person, you know me to be a nice guy, but I'm also not one to put up with alot of BS. I'm pretty sure I understand where you're coming from, and I think my initial response to your post was incorrect. Please re-read your post and look at it from the perspective of someone who has heard exactly what you said 100 times. You sounded exactly like a fresh-faced newbie. It's clear to me now that you're not but "im a newbie and i wanted to be a drifter just like everyone else with a 240sx." is a very ignorant statement! Can you understand why I responded the way I did?
Anyway, I should've said in my first post that this thread was basically a rant and opinion gathering thread. I'm not out to bash newbies! I was a newbie once, too! I remember posting to a forum that I wanted to put an SR20VET in my 240! Looking back now, I laugh my ass off at that, but at the time, I was 100% serious. I had good users in that forum at the time, and they gave me a little grief, and eventually set me straight. After that, I decided to exhaustively research stuff before I asked about it. That's probably my biggest complaint.
Regardless, this thread is just me (your favorite asshole moderator) asking you (the guy who's been around "AWHILE") what you think & how you feel. The scene has certainly changed since I first bought my car, and I don't think it's been for the better. My only hope is that I get good deals on parts from people parts out their cars when they move onto the next bandwagon. :D See? I AM an asshole.

Also, if you don't believe I'm willing to help, again, search my posts. I've stated numerous times that I'm always available for questions.
Anyway, I'm done justifying myself.

Zenki_S14
04-22-2003, 02:10 AM
i think we should lock this thread. this is going nowhere. yeah, i hate to see newbies get an sr swap without knowing anything about the car or the engine itself, but it's their money and you can't stop them from doing what they wanna do. let's all just shake hands and grab ourselves a beer.

mrmephistopheles
04-22-2003, 02:12 AM
James, stop trying to start stuff with me. It won't work. You can't hurt my feelings. All you're doing is polluting the forum with crap.

240Stilo
04-22-2003, 02:27 AM
I think some people take it the wrong way when newbies want info fast. Maybe if we let them know all we know, they can grow up faster and actually help give better threads in the future. But, on the other hand they might just kill my theory and still not add anything better to the forum other than "Why don't my S15 headlights fit?"

camppain
04-22-2003, 02:33 AM
this is why i just search for ot stuff now and dont even bother to check the tech forums cause I hate answering the same question 547 times. though a forum is for discussion and not just for search alot of topics can be avoided.

I no longer have my coupe only reason I still come on here is for the people I know from the begining. Other than that I have no reason (besides to whore, which I havent done)

adey
04-22-2003, 03:24 AM
d00d no matter how hard the wannabes try, their cars will never look as fuxored up as mine. :D You can try to emulate me and try hard, but you'll never be as l337 as me and my piece of **** 240sx!! w007 w007! I'm hard core man! living up the 240sx style since late March 2002! (or thereabouts) :) iRock. No 240 on the road will ever look as good (bad) as mine!

I haven't taken a ride with drfthvn yet... when will it be my turn?

Bbandit
04-22-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by ca18guy
The first big influx of newbies I remember was in March 2002. Seriously look around, alot of the high posters on the site are Mar2002, it was the first big wave of new people and most actually stuck around. Anyway it was the same then, alot of people with crap dribbling out of their mouth, and the regulars complaining. Right now the magazines really have the ignorant masses whipped up into a frenzy, eventually though they need to move onto a different car cause their narrow attention span won't let them day dream about 240's forever. Then whats left over will be the regulars much like what most of the remaining Mar2002's are. Atleast I can hope thats what will happen, do we really need another newbie bashing thread? :o

LMAO!!
yup im guilty..
i remembered those days when i joined zilvia.. i asked a bunch of stupid questions hahahhaa...
i remembered one of the post i made "if i swap an sr, should i take off the a/c?" :p
and now.. i still drive a 100% stock s13.. i think i had too much fun autoXing forgetting about all those mods i wanted to do..
but now im a lot more focused in organizing my plans..
first things first and the stock KA does the job for my driving purposes..
im more into learning how to drive faster rather than making my car fast

Zemus
04-22-2003, 09:59 AM
Yes, i have noticed the Super Street and SCC and IT ppl are taking other this board. I had my car before the big craze, i wanted it for 3 years, and i got it like 2 years ago.

Right when i bought my car no one knew what it was, they called it a probe, a talon and everything that came in HB and pop up lights. Now everyone comes up to me asking How my HP my SR is pushing, and then they laff at me cuz i dont have one, or they think im lieing... I explain to them that I like my KA24E very much, its quite reliable and i dont have the money for the engine swap, they eather laff or say, whats a ka. Its quite annoying, i remeber when drifter x's car was the only s15 hb conversion around, now everyone and their mother has a sil80-15.

It becomes ever harder and harded to do somthing diffrent, thats the main reason i bought my car, to be diffrent, and have a great car. Now everyone is jumping on, and i just feel like just another car owner. The only ppl in the import tunning world i can talk to now is the drifter, only the old ones, not the n00b ones, cuz they just try to power slide their sr's and think its drifting. I can talk to them about things other than when im going to do my engine swap.

I understand where you folks are comming from.

nrcooled
04-22-2003, 11:23 AM
I have owned my 240sx for 6 years. I decided to start modding and tried to figure out the best way to go about it. So just as I was about to purchace I/H/E from enjuku I started talking to the wife about the plans. A few months back I told her about the SR (which I learned alot about from HT site and others) then we decided to do the swap.

This all took place 2 1/2 yrs ago. Three or four months after that the infamous SCC article came out. After that anywhere I took my car people were asking "you got the SR?" First it was cool (thinking that they were fellow enthusiests) then it just got annoying (cause they were idiots that just read the article). The fact that I got my SR a while ago doesn't make me special nor does it make me different. I just wanted to raise the performance level of "my" 240. I got bored w/ the power.

As far as the n00bs go I am all about new fellow 240 lovers and I will help them whenever possible but the level of "I will mention the SR so they know I'm serious" is getting annoying. All you have to do is seek and ye shall find. All the info is out there they are just to lazy to find it

Evil S14
04-22-2003, 11:35 AM
wow theres only 3 people in this thread who have been around longer than me... why am i so old:confused:

Dousan_PG
04-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Evil S14
wow theres only 3 people in this thread who have been around longer than me... why am i so old:confused:

my old SN was dousan
but it got lost w/ the conversino and my lack to update. i had it sicne around feb 01, because i had my car in nov 2000

Foxcolt
04-22-2003, 12:48 PM
I like it when people(noobs) call my car a silvia...cause I'm too scared you guys'll yell at me if I start calling it that:(

HaLo
04-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Foxcolt
I like it when people(noobs) call my car a silvia...cause I'm too scared you guys'll yell at me if I start calling it that:(

I also hate that! A 240sx hatchback with SR is more a 180sx than a freakin' Silvia. Silvia this and Silvia that... Seems it's on everybody's lips right now.

I got my car in October 2000! Way before that infamous article. I got the car because I loved how it looks, how it felt and the decent amount of power it had. I grew to adore RWD. This was my first true sporty car. I took care of her. I used to drive around and people would ask what kind of car it was. "2-40-what?? That has a small V6 right??" Now it all about Silvia engines and conversions, drifting and I want to get the same setup you got!

Oh well, we have to live with it.

Evil S14
04-22-2003, 01:46 PM
"You got a silvia swap... why dont you put sivlia headlights on it?... im putting an sr20 in my civic"

yes i hear all of these from time to time

ooh ooh and the one this weekend
the guy who ran 13s in his s14, stock engine, auto, BUUUT he took the interior out so it made him that much faster :rolleyes:

AKADriver
04-22-2003, 02:06 PM
It's hard to gauge how long people have been active in the 240SX community by their sign-on date here... I'd already owned my car for 3 or 4 months before signing on here. That doesn't count the years before that I'd been "in the know" - but that's just the kind of person I am. I like cars, I have a long list of cars I need to own. So many conflicting interests!

What's funny is that even with the constant noob BS (on both sides) the 240SX still has some of the best internet community surrounding it.

I used to really like the VW community... extremely friendly people... but it's nearly impossible to find anyone interested in the later model Golfs (MkIII and MkIV) for anything other than *bling* or drag racing. Nothing against *bling* or drag racing, but neither are really my bag. Tho the vwvortex still owns, mostly for The Car Lounge because it's totally random and non-make-affiliated.

I used to like the Neon community, then "camp wars" tore it apart. Basically, people lined up in support of one or the other of the two major dealers/manufacturers of Neon parts and it's been a stupid, petty fight ever since. If I ever own a Neon again, I'll probably never visit Neons.org except to look up tech.

Foxcolt
04-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Here's an idea:

I've noticed a few people including myself doing this to questions that have been talked about before.

I just link google and put a click here msg on it. Done that's it. Usually a mod comes along and locks the thread. Done!

Now what if someone programed a button that would automaticly to that and send an alert via email or PM to a mod so they could lock it. Seems simple enough and in a sense we could moderate the info ourselves.

Zenki_S14
04-22-2003, 02:29 PM
it doesn't matter how long you've had your car or how much you know about cars. just don't be an asshole. you were once a newbie yourself. respect others and we're cool.

logo20
04-22-2003, 05:36 PM
it can only get worst, just wait until june to see this
http://images2.fotki.com/v16/photos/3/33057/153611/fast107-vi.jpg
http://chris.d2g.com/albums/album07/023_G.jpg

go to http://chris.d2g.com/gallery/album07 if you wanna see the pic, it a 240sx.

Jim96SC2
04-22-2003, 05:37 PM
I remember telling someone in ~1999-2000ish to get a 240sx and swap in a SR20DET. Of course the kid didn't listen to me. He got this rusted chassis corvette that he sold cause he was having way to many problems with it.

I got my Chevelle a few years ago. It sat for about a year while I tried to save money, but that wasn't happening. So I just sold it to a buddy of mine and looked for something that I could go around turns with. I knew a bit about the 240sx, brushed up on some stuff and here I am. Unlike many big talkers who say things about the SR I actually have one and the questions I ask pertain to problems I'm having with the swap.

SimpleS14
04-22-2003, 07:12 PM
Pretty soon I can see this forum getting hit with multiple questions on how to do a RB swap.

How did you become a MOD mrmephistopheles?

Honestly......I have no idea how my post count got so high. :confused:

HaLo
04-22-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by GT specR
Honestly......I have no idea how my post count got so high. :confused:

I do. :D

The official Post-Whoring Thread. ;)

hookedup240
04-22-2003, 07:55 PM
for some reason i don't know why but i didn't post once in that thread...o well i'll just have to make up for it now.

revat619
04-22-2003, 08:29 PM
i dont think it's so much that they're interested in the car, it's the way they go about it and why the car interests them.

hookedup240
04-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by James
Some owners have sold their car attributing the fact to newbies.....
How do newbies/interest affect your personal enjoyment of your own car?

Yes i don't understand that one either, you buy a car because you enjoy it for yourself. I would never sell my car because of someone else.

AKADriver
04-22-2003, 09:24 PM
I've never seen a car forum with so many members bitch and moan so much about newbies interested in the car.
Why is that?

Because they're not intersted in the car, they're interested in some warped notion of the car, some image.

Nobody I know has sold their car because of newbies directly.

When the inmates start running the asylum and the entire scene around a car starts to look like "newbies"... that sucks. That hasn't happened with the 240SX yet and I'll fight to educate or otherwise drive away the ignorant people to keep it that way. I mentioned neons.org... I have a friend who has all but given up on his Neon drag car, because while he had fun racing it, the Neon community has become so ****ty over the past couple years that he can't stand being their (anti)hero anymore. Edit: his situation is special because he can't avoid the idiots... the idiots come to him. For most of us we can just quit a forum and move onto the next if we don't like the way one forum is run.

HaLo
04-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Some owners have sold their car attributing the fact to newbies.....

They don't affect my enjoyment of my car if they don't come to me (on the street) and ask me "dumb" questions. I love my car and I enjoy myself or with friends, not with anyone that think they have a right to know how everything is done while not knowing how to change sparkplugs on their old rusted Civic.

I accept newbies. I don't mind them, but they should at least have common sense to search a bit before posting all kinds of questions that are covered every second day because they read it in some hype magazine.

Also, too much attention gets cop attention and I wouldn't like cops to detect 240sx because the new trend is SR20DETs in that car. Civic often get busted for loud exhausts in my area. 240sx's rarely turn a head in a Police car. I want to keep it that way.

RearWheel
04-22-2003, 09:58 PM
I'm basically a newb. I didn't purchase my 240 because it's the latest craze. I bought it because my crappy 87' Nissan pickup with 245k didn't help me get any chicks. I also bought it because I got a pretty good deal on it and really like the looks of it and it was something that not many of my friends had. The 240 was something new to learn about and fix up. No... I haven't even began to do anything to it. And, I'm not very sure that I want to do anything to it as far as modifcations anymore. It's a great Jap car. I might just rebuild the engine with stock parts. I don't care if some kid puts Altezzas on his car or fixes his car up because his parents has a crap load of money. And by the way, I purchased my car with my own money. All $2500 of it. Anyways, let these kids or us kids or whatever........ do what they want to do.

Because in the end....
MY CAR LOOKS BETTER THAN YOURS!!! AND I DON'T SPEND MY LIFE ON THIS BOARD!!!:D (no offense to those who do... actually nevermind)

Everyone chill out and smoke a cigarette or something!!

Oh yeah... Sorry... I was one of those that didn't do the searches.. I apologize.... I was just a lazy ass bastard!! LOL Again... I apologize. I am doing searches now if it keeps everyone else from crying!!!:cool:

Potatoskins02
04-23-2003, 02:18 PM
i didn't really read this thread... but to the defense of some... i think one of the reasons for an increase of members over the past year was the switching of 240sx.org to the NICO boards. Which is what happened to me... after they switched I went over here.

MorganS13
04-23-2003, 04:48 PM
everyone who registered after 2001 is a newbie to me... thats all i have to contribute to this thread :D

coolerow2
04-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Theres no such thing as newbies, noobs, duhrifters, racers, etc.!!!

We're just all kids/guys/old farts who have a hobby. So let's all just calm down and go back to our lives before this board goes down the drain.

As for the 240sx women/girls/ladies, you rock!

RearWheel
04-23-2003, 09:17 PM
As for the 240sx women/girls/ladies, you rock!

Hell Yeah!!! I like girls... I don't know about you guys.

Bbandit
04-24-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by RearWheel

Everyone chill out and smoke a cigarette or something!!

*light up a cigarette*

im more worried about my finals rather than thinking about newbies and such..
besides im pretty sure there are some newbies who have more knowledges than some of the senior members..
lets make this forum a community..
community = friends = family = ::thumbsup::
we all sare the same interest
although we may have some difference in a sence of style

GotDriftS14
04-24-2003, 10:14 AM
i guess im a n00b. oh well.

Jeff240sx
04-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Evil S14

Make that 4. You too, Morgan!

Originally posted by Foxcolt
Now what if someone programed a button that would automaticly to that and send an alert via email or PM to a mod so they could lock it. Seems simple enough and in a sense we could moderate the info ourselves.

There is. See at the bottom of every post, there is an underlined link that says "Report this post to a moderator." I wish more people would use it.
It sends an email to every mod and admin, with a link to the offensive post. USE IT PEOPLE!

Originally posted by logo20
...if you wanna see the pic, it a 240sx.

That's a Skyline, big guy. Yea.. it looks like the new F&F2 Skyline. Aww... we all mourn for the dearly departed sports car.

And GTSpecR... MrMephistopheles became a mod very shortly after I did. Maybe even the same day.
-Jeff

logo20
04-24-2003, 06:22 PM
That's a Skyline, big guy. Yea.. it looks like the new F&F2 Skyline. Aww... we all mourn for the dearly departed sports car.
the 240 should be under the skyline pic, where it says "don't steal my pic!!" click on the link (http://chris.d2g.com/gallery/album07) if you wanna see the rest of the cars(includes a 240) from the "2 fast 2 furious" movie. what I was trying to say is after the movie come out will see more cars like those.

logo20
04-24-2003, 06:22 PM
the 240 should be under the skyline pic, where it says "don't steal my pic!!" click on the link (http://chris.d2g.com/gallery/album07) if you wanna see the rest of the cars(includes a 240) from the "2 fast 2 furious" movie. what I was trying to say is after the movie come out will see more cars like those.

boro240
04-24-2003, 08:19 PM
almost all car forums have influxes of n00bs. you can imagine how i-club got after the WRX was released, talk about bandwagon car. i got my 240 mid last year, but was trying to get one for around 2 years or so. i think the number one complaint and annoyance of the more "seasoned" members is the outright lazyness of n00bs. the term 'research' is lost on some people it seems.

keepitmovin
04-24-2003, 09:28 PM
im part of the 2001 club so ha! :D
But i dont post much so :(

christopher
04-25-2003, 12:00 AM
This is for the elders and the newbs.

All you have to do to get away from the intense bombardment of bad attention your car is getting is turn off your computer and walk out your door. Go strait to your 240, get in, drive. Don't answer your cellphone. Have fun.

I have recently been very humbled by a lengthy wait for my engine(SR) and I have been reading everything I can in the meantime, I just want to drive my car. That is all. I can understand why a Moderator, who is personally invested in this site would care. Everyone else should just drive more, there is more to these cars than a bunch of websites. Exploration is good but you should also take care of your "pride and joy" first if you really like it.

For the record, and the flames, I am still a newb too. I am fully aware that there are no vets here that like to take advice from someone with less posts, so sad. I thank everyone for the good advice I have gotten.

Jeff240sx
04-25-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by christopher
This is for the elders and the newbs.

All you have to do to get away from the intense bombardment of bad attention your car is getting is turn off your computer and walk out your door. Go strait to your 240, get in, drive. Don't answer your cellphone. Have fun.

I can understand why a Moderator, who is personally invested in this site would care. Everyone else should just drive more, there is more to these cars than a bunch of websites. Exploration is good but you should also take care of your "pride and joy" first if you really like it.

For the record, and the flames, I am still a newb too. I am fully aware that there are no vets here that like to take advice from someone with less posts, so sad.

I don't know who you're directing this to, but anyway... Moderators can change their titles, and the original poster is a Mod. See.. when we have to read almost every post, and end up reading/cleaning up flames/moving/locking the same topic 5 times a day, it's really aggrivating. I dunno about the whole "Vets" argument.. so I'll leave that alone. You'll be surprised at what I've learned from "Newbs," because amazingly, some of them don't have their heads up their ass.
-Jeff

240meowth
04-25-2003, 03:24 AM
so, SR20DET or KA24DET? :D :D bwa ha ha, well, as for me i have something to say.

i think it is really about timing. i recall when i was new to the 240's i asked A LOT of stupid questions. (nothing 'bout sr or kat though) but stuff such as, what is a pillow ball mount, and what is a tension rod, will a t2 turbo push anything for the ka24, etc. but back in my days there was like what? 600 members on zilvia? people were much forgiving than. they were really patient w/ me. but the this now is, every 2 days someone new pops up asking the same question. or ask some stupid question in a 240 forum such as "should i get 240 or crx (or whatever)," i mean, it's a 240 board, you are going to get a rather bias opinion, unless the other car is a reasonable compairson.

so yah, all in all what i'm tryin to say is, back in the days, it was much more simple, people knew each other well. now there's just people jumping in, and we don't get to know them very well. and needless to say, i think this forum's member use to be much closer, it was like a family. now it's just spread out over a lot of new members.

about all the attention that nissan is getting, we should of seen this coming. how? honda is making crappy cars, for example the new civic SI, and nissan making cool cars, like the new altima 3.5SE. and the once underrated s13/s14 becomes a big topic, due to the drifting wave in japan. so yah, i saw this coming.

but i think alot of guys are getting a zilvia account just to see wha's going on in here, or to sell something here. so i don't think all 100,000 memebers :) are really active members. i think we should come up w/ a system where as if you don't use your account for 6 month it will automatically be canceled.

mrmephistopheles
04-25-2003, 10:14 AM
:bowdown: to meowth
That's all i'm saying, my neezay!

boro240
04-26-2003, 07:50 AM
zilvia is actually one of the better forums as far as newbies go. 240sxforums is filled with newbies, and club240 is worse than that. thats one of the reasons that i prefer zilvia. i still answer things on 240sxforums though, and the occasional post on club240, if any. zilvia still has a better ratio (than most) of seasoned people who make it worth while.:)

Wei240
04-27-2003, 01:08 AM
I must give it up to the mods on all forums in regards to putting up with alot of newbie and their newbie questions especially those that have been asked 1,000 times or annoying questions like those who wants an SR swap as their very first question... Like I said in some other post, I have over 100k miles seat time and driven over 7 years in the same s13, and I may not post much, but just viewing these forums over time, I do get annoyed with some of the newbie questions... especially when they never seem to use the SEARCH function, maybe the sticky should be in all caps, bold and have funky neon colors to catch the attention of newbies...

BlankFlip
04-27-2003, 01:25 AM
let's face it, the 240 grew from a cult classic (in my opinoin) to a best seller. now everyone must have one due to what ppl are telling them is cool, it's just like the many trends we've all seen come and go in music. the true fans, as mentioned already, will stick w/ it b/c they love and understand the car more so than others, but this is something we'll all have to deal with for the time being. don't worry, soon enough u'll be able to be a loser once again w/ a car that only the few fans will appreciate that the masses won't know of. as for the search topic, i don't really see a problem w/ it since u don't have to go into the thread based on the subject title, unless ur a mod. then and only then can u have the right to b*tch and complain :D.

kandyflip445
04-27-2003, 01:49 AM
I guess I'm a n00b untill I buy my 240 huh????:p

EDIT: HEY!!! I WAS A PART OF THE BRAKE FAQ TOO!!!! Does that make me a half-non-n00b???:D

jay pee
02-18-2011, 12:05 AM
i dnt care what the newbies do honestly as long as they dnt ricer out the nissan 240sx !!!!! hate honda dudes that throw a canon on the back and swear there car is hella fast. i think nissan are a car that you should buy only if u enjoy the rwd and atleast know a lil about the history and appreciate the car and not just buy it cause its really popular now cause they saw a 240sx in pro am or a fd event

Taniguchi_Is_#1
02-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Jesus christ. Are you retarded? (all caps)

Masa
02-18-2011, 12:34 AM
wow, i felt like i was in 2003 all over again. BACK TO THE FUTURE>>>>>>>

BustedS13
02-18-2011, 12:35 AM
i dnt care what the newbies do honestly as long as they dnt ricer out the nissan 240sx !!!!! hate honda dudes that throw a canon on the back and swear there car is hella fast. i think nissan are a car that you should buy only if u enjoy the rwd and atleast know a lil about the history and appreciate the car and not just buy it cause its really popular now cause they saw a 240sx in pro am or a fd event

this thread is eight years old. the post before yours was written when Bush was still in his first term. Steve Irwin was still alive, so was Colin Mcrae. the iPhone didn't exist. the iPod was black and white. there wasn't a Saw movie coming out that halloween.
fuck man.

s13dan
02-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Well I can say that I have slowly watched and anticipated the collapse of a strong 240 community due to the infiltrating of ignorant people. It has only gotten worse through the years, with the booming popularity of F&F and then drifting and then F&F with drifting amongst other things. So its clear that pop culture has taken hold of the S chassis and will not let go. This is some ways saddens me knowing that the car is doomed to be molested and destroyed in record numbers.

It has become an icon in the import scene, deal with it. Hell embrace it, 240s are just plain cool and everyone likes them. So hang on to yours, don't do stupid shit to it and retain as much knowledge you can. It might be able to pay you back some day. In the mean time lets keep this forum as strict as ever and have no mercy on newbs.

Imarvin240
02-18-2011, 12:51 AM
haha how did he even find this old a$$ thread?

HyperTek
02-18-2011, 03:23 AM
regardless of how old this thread is, the OP's predictions came true. hahaha

MisawaJason
02-18-2011, 03:52 AM
Talk about "to the top"

nikkisixx69
02-18-2011, 04:05 AM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj195/rover25x/ROVER%2025X/ThreadRessurection.jpg

Phlip
02-18-2011, 04:24 AM

um...

No one talks like that except in movies, and even then they don't anymore

You're not endearing yourself to anyone, we see your 2008 join date

You have FURTHER damned yourself in the court of Zilvia opinion by bumping a thread that was started while you were still in middle school.

Your spelling, lack of capitalization and punctuation is sickening.

:lockd: