PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Baatin of Slum Village

HyperTek
08-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Baatin of Detroit's Slum Village dead at 35 - MLive.com (http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/detroit/index.ssf/2009/08/reports_baatin_of_detroits_slu.html)

slum doesnt really get radio play out her so some of you commercial Jerkin' nut huggers might now know of them much lmao.

hOngsterr
08-01-2009, 04:00 PM
shit,
slum village was a good group,
i have a few of their songs,
the one i like the most is selfish.

FaLKoN240
08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
shit,
slum village was a good group,
i have a few of their songs,
the one i like the most is selfish.

That's their most popular song...

hOngsterr
08-01-2009, 04:34 PM
fine fine,
i like the song "fall in love, tainted,and also fourth and back"

drift freaq
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
I like Tainted. Its too bad man R.I.P.

TiNMAN
08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
rip BAATIN

rip DILLA

hellaslows13
08-01-2009, 09:54 PM
dam man..rip to baatin..slum village was(still is) dope as fuck.

rip jaydee.

edubb11
08-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Wow. This is a huge loss. SV is one of my faves.

I have ALL of their albums. Fantastic Vol. 2... Classic.

BustedS13
08-01-2009, 10:38 PM
never heard of them, probably pretty neat
midwest luv

Brian
08-01-2009, 11:21 PM
where the fuckis the english in this thread

musikjunkie
08-02-2009, 03:33 AM
damn man why couldnt it be someone else who isnt part of one of the greatest hip hop groups out there (yeah i said it).... but i just hope he can lay in peace after everything hes been through in his last few years

HyperTek
08-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Slum Village is a hip hop group from Conant Gardens, Detroit, Michigan.

The group was formed by three members: rappers Baatin and T3, plus rapper and producer Jay Dee. Jay Dee left in 2002 to pursue a solo career with MCA Records and was replaced by Elzhi, after which Baatin also left due to health complications.

Slum Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slum_Village)

Reunion

T3 has said in a recent interview that slum village has reunited with Baatin and has added Illa J(J Dilla's Brother) to bring a Dilla effect. He is quoted "Slum Village is totally not that at all,” T3 adds. “I’m incorporating Baatin, and I’m putting Illa J in—not to take Dilla’s place, but just to have that essence of Dilla on this new project. I’m pulling together all the producers that we’ve used before—Black Milk, Wajeed , Kareem Riggins, Pete Rock and all the people who have been down with SV from day one.”[1]

Former member Jay Dee died on February 10, 2006 after being diagnosed with TTP and Lupus.[2]

Baatin died on July 31, 2009. Baatin, who was 1/3 of the original Slum Village passed away sometime in the evening of July 31, 2009. The cause of death is unknown at the moment. [3]

Future projects by Slum Village include an album made with unused J Dilla beats[4], and an album produced mostly by Black Milk.[5]

Ive heard of them a few years ago, but it wasnt til earlier this year that I started listening to all their albums. Their earlier stuff is more underground, where as their later stuff is more commercial, but in a good way.

Phlip
08-02-2009, 06:48 PM
The irony of this post is either staggering or sad.

Back on topic...

I was sitting impatiently in a mall nail shop for my girlfriend yesterday when I found out, and I had JUST finished listening to "Things We Do," from Detroit Deli, which is a damn-near PERFECTLY written/rhymed song -- based upon how the first verses all started -- that got overshadowed by the aforementioned "Selfish" from the same album.
There, I just told you guys another song to look for.

HyperTek
08-02-2009, 06:55 PM
sadly baatin wasnt in those songs

Phlip
08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
sadly baatin wasnt in those songs

Yeah, but the fact is with me is that the song I did name is one of a few worth listening to on the album, while BOTH "Fantastic" albums and "Trinity" are so good to me that I can listen to them without skipping songs, which makes it HARD to name a song on an album that got little commercial run.
That and Elzhi was STILL the best rapper out of the group.

lyrical struggle
08-03-2009, 12:23 PM
Cause of death looks to be crack/cocaine. Sad man.

anthony240
08-03-2009, 01:17 PM
This is horrible, SV is on the Rock the Bells lineup, which I will be going to this weekend. Gonna be sad to see one less SV member on stage.

tricky_ab
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Damn my friend mentioned this to me at lunch...It's said to hear that...

illvialuver
08-05-2009, 04:01 AM

hahahha, damn. Irony is a mofo, but back to the topic, thats too bad, I really like j dilla.

I guess I would just say things for the music. r.i.p