PDA

View Full Version : Coilover maintenance

good0177
07-31-2009, 09:23 AM
Did a quick lazy search and nada. Just curious what you guys do for coilover maintenance. Had my S14 Stance GR+ Pros on for about a year without touching them. Obviously I plan on doing the basic cleaning and torquing of hardware, but was curious what else you guys do. I don't track the car (...yet) just DD. Do you lube (haha, I said lube) pillowballs (haha again, balls)? Do you completely remove the coilovers and break them down to clean all parts? Sorry for the lame question, just killing time at work. Chime in if you want to. Thanks.

BlitzRPS13
08-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Cleaning them wouldn't hurt. Check if your front adjusters are seized also... if yes.. contact stance and they will send you new ones.

good0177
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I know this is a noob question; I am just curious what people do when running coils. Obviously tracking/drifting require more attention, but when DD on coils, what do you guys do? Do you adjust often to keep things loose (collars, adjustment knobs, nuts, etc.)? Do you breakdown everything to clean the coils top to bottom or what. This is my first set of coils and am learning by trial and error. Thanks for your patience.

nu_born
08-03-2009, 12:57 PM
i had a set of megan track coils that i put on my car and never touched after i got the ride height where i wanted it, i went to adjust them one day and found them siezed up much to my shagrin.

since i installed my flex's i like to get in there and blow all the dirt and grit out of them and loosen and retighten the collars, then i usually finish by sprayin' 'em down with some inforce or wd...i typically "service" my coils with every oil change i do since i dd my car

aznpoopy
08-03-2009, 01:10 PM
the only thing you should do is wipe the threads clean before you start adjusting it.

besides that, there's no set methodology to servicing or maintaining coilovers.

i'm pretty sure alot of people do absolutely nothing, and then swear up and down when they want to break them loose in a year or two to readjust height. you can prevent this with anti-seize, but most people will just shoot it with penetrating lube and crack it loose with a punch and hammer.

but really, it's not that serious. you don't really fuck with ride height often, or at all. everytime you do you'll need an alignment. plus, lifespan of average set is only 2-3 years. after that, the shocks will have gone for rebuild/replace, or (more likely) the person will move on to another set of coilovers.

DJPimpFlex
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
ya coils are a disposeable item designed for off road only vechiles. They dont take extremely well to DD duty.

good0177
08-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the input ya'll. I am getting to the age where my back and kidneys don't bounce as well as you youngins haha. My girl hates being in my car. I'm actually considering downgrading away from coils as I don't track my car yet and just tossing in some strut/spring combo. I just don't want fender gap...arghh. Can't have it all.

Yeap
08-13-2009, 03:23 PM
I've had coilovers on my DD for 3 years. never touched them after they were installed and still work without issues when I track it.