PDA

View Full Version : question for the air tool savy/ what spec compressor would i need to run this DA sand

intel
07-31-2009, 12:52 AM
heres the specs on the sander:

Attributes:
Sander Type:Orbital
Speed:Has Positive Speed Control
Product Features:Quiet Operation
Positive Speed Control
Vibration Free Performance
6" Pad Control
RPM:10
000 rpm
PSI Rating:90 psi
Inlet Size:1/4" NPT
I.D. Size:3/8" I.D.
Abrasive Media Type:Sanding Disk
CFM Rating:4 cfm
Cycles Per Minute:10
000 rpm At 90 psi
PSI Rating:90 psi

Plenty of compressors build up to 150 psi so thats a check. but then

1 gal = 0.1337 ft3

1cfm = 7.48gpm

so this tool uses about 29.92 gallons a minute? is that right?

so then how much hp would compensate filling up the tank at a decent rate to keep up with the tool?

and in that case i should get a 60 gallon minimum to alot 2 minutes for it to fill up while i use it? any input please?

THANKS!

TheWolf
07-31-2009, 06:11 AM
You're going to need alot to run a DA..

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=55996)

best deal on a air compressor to run something that big... for $500 though you can get a two stage puma.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=34887)

much quieter and nicer unit. I don't think anything 110v will run a DA.

Anything short of those two and your going to be just wasting time. You will get about 30-40 seconds out of it which is enough time to do nothing.

Air tools always rate on the low side. If it says it needs 4cfm to work. It really needs a solid 5-6. Compressors always rate on the high side. If it says it puts out 12CFM @90psi. Then it probably does 10-11.

You may also want to look at gas powered portable air compressors. We've got a little wheelbarrow sized one that runs on a 5hp honda. That thing puts out air as well and runs a DA. You can find those used at a descent price.

Don't get oiless.. they suck.. are rattly and noisy and are really only good for hobby air gun use/ nail guns. NO SANDERS OF ANY KIND

intel
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
thanks tons good sir!

GSXRJJordan
07-31-2009, 05:37 PM
Compressor's are rated by CFM (airflow) at a certain pressure - since you need 4CFM @ 90psi, you should have a compressor that provides at least that much. Good thing is, with something like a sander, you can always stop for a few seconds and let the tank refill.

I agree with TheWolf in that twin-piston is better than single-piston, and that oil-less SUCKS. I disagree that you can't find what you're looking for in a 115V unit, however, as I have this compressor:
http://ciasons.com/new_images/sm-c2523hwa_m.jpg
CIASONS SM-C2523 - 3hp motor, single phase 115V, 23gal, 10CFM. These can be had for ~$500, and are rock solid industrial units manufacturered right here in socal, with American parts.

FRpilot
07-31-2009, 05:38 PM
can't go wrong with ingersoll rand or eaton compressor. they're well built and ratings are pretty accurate unlike craftsmans, which emphasizes 6hp 150psi. campbell hausfeld is nice too.

if you can afford it, always get the biggest compressor you can afford. 60 gal would be the minimum i would get for sanding tools.

r6_240sx
07-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Compressor's are rated by CFM (airflow) at a certain pressure - since you need 4CFM @ 90psi, you should have a compressor that provides at least that much.If you do this, I guarantee you'll have to work in short bursts. With a DA sander workin in short bursts gets old quick.

The thing with most tools is that they underrate their CFM ratings to make it seem like they take up less air. The opposite goes for air compressors they inflate their ratings to make it seem if their compressor has a higher cfm rating than it actually does.

Make sure your compressor can supply more cfm than your tool needs.

intel
07-31-2009, 06:41 PM
Thnx thnx guys! how about the HP rating versus CFM they dont seem to correlate? should hp be a factor at all in shopping? Thanks TONS!

S14DB
07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Thnx thnx guys! how about the HP rating versus CFM they dont seem to correlate? should hp be a factor at all in shopping? Thanks TONS!

Not at all. The performance of the electric motor has nothing to do with the performance of the compressor.

Look at the size of the tank and the CFM @90psi