PDA

View Full Version : engine pan removal help

ranger240
07-29-2009, 11:55 AM
KA24E....

ok besides having the oiliest engine EVER (noob-fail advice Clean the HELL out of your engine before you crack into it)

how the hell do you reach the rear oil pan bolts (on a ka24e)?

my gorilla hands cant get near the last four bolts by the tranny

they have a cast shroud type thing connected to the transmission.. does that need to come off?

i have the body resting on jack stands via the cross-member and the engine/trans jacked via the bellhousing.

noob ???? #2

engine mounts. i have the bottom x-member bolt off but how do you manage to get at the top one (located in the engine mount bracket thing)

me and my brother both didnt have a chance getting at it (gorilla hands)

we removed the oil filter for better access to the passenger side

on the d/s i'm thinking that removing the exhaust mani heatshield may be necessary to gain access.

is it easier to get at it from above the engine or underneath?...

and as always, thanks Zilvia for the ridiculous amount of knowledgeable members that make this site the most dynamic and helpful place for 240s on the web

ranger240
07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
noob-fail bump

help save a 240sx haha

projectRDM
07-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Get smaller hands. The engine mounts are much easier to remove from the top, you'll find plenty of people who round out the lower nuts, that's because you have to hit them with a swivel socket, no one seems to notice that. They're usually not very tight up top, a deep well 14mm socket and a good ratchet will break them loose.

Use a 1/4" drive 10mm socket on a long extension for the oil pan bolts, there's room to fit beside the dust cover with it, a larger 3/8" drive socket is too tight.

nrmskate
07-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Couple diff. ways to do it.

Drop the X-Member and hold the engine up with a hoist.

Or, jack the engine off the mounts, remove sway bar, and pull it out.