PDA

View Full Version : Nistune

lewisfk
07-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Has anyone used Nistune on there sr with great sucess? If so what do u like about the system, and what pisses u off about the system! any comments welcome about nistune.

4x4le
07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
I have a thread on here discussing nistune, answering peoples questions ect. Have a look at it and see what you think.

http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/236091-nistune-questions-get-them-answered-here.html

What I can tell you briefly is that its a great system that allows you to retune your factory ecu in real time.
My sr I have tuned running e-85 and it made 355.5rwhp and 344tq but I couldnt supply enough fuel with the pump and injectors I was using. I now have dual pumps on a 4 bar fuel pressure setup and I have the car running and driving just fine making smooth power. Im waiting on a few other odds and ends to get it back on the dyno and hopefully cross the 400whp mark on a dyno dynamics. We will see though.

Our shop also has a ka-t that is making 418rwhp and 455lb ft tq on nistune.
NIStune isnt a joke, it dont cost an arm and a leg and in the right hands (tuner) you can really make some power.

Oki180
07-30-2009, 07:38 AM
I've put nistune in two cars and I love it. I bought my last nistune board from autovaughnperformance.com . Great shop to deal with. He got my board to me quick and didn't charge extra for shipping!!!!

As for the nistune itself, I love it. Its real easy to setup and tune. The first car I used it on is running DW injectors, GT2871R and tuned for reliablility and 87octane fuel. My car is running tomei injectors, GT30R, football intake, and I also currently have it tuned for 87 octane and daily driving.

It's super easy to load and change a map. You can use the consult function for troubleshooting.

The only downside I've found is the knock sensor feedback isn't working properly. However Matt over at Nistune is currently working on a solution.

handinpants
07-30-2009, 08:31 AM
yep, currently working on nistune with my car
oh 4x4le i opened a new thread

4x4le
07-30-2009, 03:11 PM
I've put nistune in two cars and I love it. I bought my last nistune board from autovaughnperformance.com . Great shop to deal with. He got my board to me quick and didn't charge extra for shipping!!!!

As for the nistune itself, I love it. Its real easy to setup and tune. The first car I used it on is running DW injectors, GT2871R and tuned for reliablility and 87octane fuel. My car is running tomei injectors, GT30R, football intake, and I also currently have it tuned for 87 octane and daily driving.

It's super easy to load and change a map. You can use the consult function for troubleshooting.

The only downside I've found is the knock sensor feedback isn't working properly. However Matt over at Nistune is currently working on a solution.

Thanks
I strongly recommend you start running premium fuel though.

Oki180
07-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Thanks
I strongly recommend you start running premium fuel though.

yeah I know the thought scares people ha ha ha

i've run a few econo low boost tunes with some pretty good success over the last 6 years. the GT2871R car pulled a 12.30 @ 112mph with low boost.

My car with the old T28 setup ran 12.5 @ 109mph with low boost and 87 octane. Same car with more boost and 19psi ran 12.380 @ 111mph

I'm pretty conservative with my timing and generous with my fuel.

I just love how much easier everything is on nistune vs. burning chips on the old willems!

4x4le
07-30-2009, 08:50 PM
yea, scares me too! I recommend no one try to do what you did lol. But if you have got it down go for it!

240_fun
07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
Ive been very interested in using Nistune but my questions are...
How hard it is to install myself?
How hard would it be to tune myself?
and since the closest place to me that deals with nistune is in Maryland, how much customer support would I really be able to get?

4x4le
07-30-2009, 09:08 PM
Installation, you need good soldering and desoldering equipment and the skills to perform the task. On nistune.com there is pdf download files with the instructions and since I dont know your abilities you should read them over and decide that part for youself. Any authorized nistune dealer is capable of doing the install.

As far as tuning, You need to know what your doing. There are no 2 ways about that. Sure everyone starts somewhere, but most started by reading and reasearching and watching over other tuners shoulders before ever making their first attempt.
There is no immediate reason you have to go to a NIStune shop to get tuned though. You could show any tuning shop the program and they should surely be able to work with it as long as they tune other forms of efi with similar programs.

Customer support, ask anyone that has bought from us what customer support is all about. We CANNOT hold peoples hands while they try to learn how to tune though. Our normal customer support is when people are having problems figuring out something with the software we help them figure that out. I honestly urge people not to get this if they have no clue about tuning because we cannot possibly teach someone how to over the phone or by email.

hexdmy
07-31-2009, 09:10 AM
I think what 4x4le sums it up, but I will some info regarding the install. The Nistune documentation is very through , but I've posted some pictures of my first Nistune type 4 board installation here (http://zilvia.net/f/engine-tech/270095-nistune-information-guide-how-tos-guide-you.html) in case you are interested.

Nissan ecu's have a unique fueling strategy that is a little different than what I'm used to, and I tune cars for a living . If you have never tuned a car before, or have limited tuning experience, but want to tune your own, I would suggest suggest reading all of the documentation that is available on the Nistune site. It's several hundred pages total, but will give you a good start as to how the Nistune tuning interface works and some good general tuning information specific to these ecus.

- Chris