PDA

View Full Version : Need help from those with bike experience.

wh0aitznic0
07-26-2009, 11:23 AM
I've been meaning to get into the riding scene for a WHILE now but just never had the right gem cross my eye. The other day I saw this beauty in my peripheral vision and just had to turn around and examine it.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w95/wh0aitznic0/IMG00391.jpg

It's a GSXR1000. I don't know much about bikes or their value and that's what I'm asking about. I walked around the bike and see that it HAS been dropped before. There are little nicks on the left side's paint in which touch-up paint has been applied but not noticeable until you get up close.

wh0aitznic0
07-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add that I would be willing to trade my car + cash on his end to get the bike (cash to buy a beater civic).

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w95/wh0aitznic0/Picture546.jpg

thurman548
07-26-2009, 11:46 AM
What year is it? How many miles are on it? You need to check the tires for the date they were made not when he put them on? Have you ever ridden a bike before? If not I would suggest waiting to get your license first to test drive. If it is just nicks I don't think he put it down. Post some pixs of the damage.

wh0aitznic0
07-26-2009, 11:50 AM
What year is it? How many miles are on it? You need to check the tires for the date they were made not when he put them on? Have you ever ridden a bike before? If not I would suggest waiting to get your license first to test drive. If it is just nicks I don't think he put it down. Post some pixs of the damage.

I actually just got off the phone with him. It's a 2004; 6000 miles; Tires, I dunno; He wants $5500 cash and might consider trading. He said he kept it in a garage for most of it's life. He DID put it down. Said that it started raining and lost control. I've ridden down the street and back in my buddy's ZX6R but never hard riding. I do know the fundamentals though.

HyperTek
07-26-2009, 12:01 PM
a 1000 for a first bike? sounds risky man. you should go for a 600...

i was lookin at gettin into bikes a few weeks ago, was gonna consider goin to a ride safety school.

rc1honda
07-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah 5,500 sounds like a lot for a 3 year old bike that's been dropped. Seller seems like he didn't have much riding experience either. Seems like he rode for a little bit dropped it and it freaked him out and stopped riding. But one thing is the bike isn't abused. 6,000 miles is nothing even if it was ridden hard. GSX-Rs are nice bikes to. I think you can handle a liter bike as long as you take it slow and don't try to showoff. That bike is fast, the acceleration after 7,000rpm can leave you a little overwhelmed at first.

If you take it easy and find a place where you can used to it you will be fine. Wear gear no matter what. Good leather jacket with armor and a good helmet at least. I think you should keep your car though. To go from not riding at all to riding everyday is a big jump. I think you should keep your car and find a older bike to have fun with. You can find 02-03 R6, R1,CBR's and Gixxers for about 3 grand in good shape. All these bikes are fast as hell and you could keep your car. Keep your car and offer that guy 4,500, in a nice way and i bet he will take it just to get rid of it.

an_orange_s2k
07-26-2009, 03:21 PM
start off with a 600cc bike. if anything you can finance one of your credit is good. i dropped $1750 down, and $180/month for my r6

!Zar!
07-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Riding in a straight line can be done by a deceased cat it's so easy.

It's slow speed maneuvers that separate the men from the boys.

t15
07-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Riding in a straight line can be done by a deceased cat it's so easy.

It's slow speed maneuvers that separate the men from the boys.

^^ Totally agree, as with most of what everyone said as well, start with a 600, you can get a nice 600 for that price that hasnt been dropped, it might hav a few more miles on it but starting with a 1000 is just asking for trouble..

wh0aitznic0
07-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Alright, thanks for the responses. I guess the general consensus is to NOT to pick up the 1000. I've been looking around online for private sellers of used 600's and really couldn't find anything in my general area other than random ones in ebay motors or craigslist. Any advice on where to find decent bikes such as forums?

r6_240sx
07-26-2009, 09:00 PM
CycleTrader.

Or whatever specific bike you're looking for just go on there forum. Mostly part outs though, LOL.

Otto347
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Fuckin Ninja 250! lol nah, like everyone else says.....a liter bike is a whole different monster compared to a 600. Start with the smaller bike and you'll be happy.

heavenboundkevin
07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
how tall are you? Can you put your feet on the ground when you sit on it? do you tippy toe?

If you cant put both feet solidly on the ground then i would say you are much more likely to tip it over or drop it, which is gonna piss you off.
now if youre riding like a maniac and crash then thats another story.
I suggest getting a 600 to start, and get comfortable,.

6000 miles is no problem for a maintained bike. I had an 04 r6 with 10,000 miles. About 10,000 miles and 3 crashes later it was running just as well. Dont let a drop or some scrapes fool you into thinking this bike was trashed.

HyperTek
07-26-2009, 10:27 PM
Fuckin Ninja 250! lol nah, like everyone else says.....a liter bike is a whole different monster compared to a 600. Start with the smaller bike and you'll be happy.

i was actually lookin at the ninja 250r, good looking bikes and are dirt cheap. sure they are only 250 but who really needs to go fast?
kypGsxe148k

just dont let people with big egos kill you

Otto347
07-26-2009, 10:52 PM
That one actually doesnt look to bad. If I ever got another bike it would be an aprilia SXV (my friend has one and it is so nice to ride) or a buell XB12S....im not really into crotch rockets anymore.

wh0aitznic0
07-26-2009, 11:32 PM
how tall are you? Can you put your feet on the ground when you sit on it? do you tippy toe?

If you cant put both feet solidly on the ground then i would say you are much more likely to tip it over or drop it, which is gonna piss you off.
now if youre riding like a maniac and crash then thats another story.
I suggest getting a 600 to start, and get comfortable,.

6000 miles is no problem for a maintained bike. I had an 04 r6 with 10,000 miles. About 10,000 miles and 3 crashes later it was running just as well. Dont let a drop or some scrapes fool you into thinking this bike was trashed.

I put my feet down but my heels weren't "solid" but touching the floor. Honestly, the scrapes don't look bad at all they're about the size of an iPod shuffle at the most but just at the pointed edges. I've already pretty much made up my mind that this one is overpriced and probably too much for me to trust myself handling.

i was actually lookin at the ninja 250r, good looking bikes and are dirt cheap. sure they are only 250 but who really needs to go fast?
kypGsxe148k

just dont let people with big egos kill you

Ughh, I promised myself that I would NEVER get a 250 as a first bike. I don't want to sound egotistical but damn I really don't want that bike. I've seen one in person and it honestly is the size of my old Eastern.

pignose4life
07-27-2009, 12:02 AM
starting off with 1000cc for a first bike is a horrible idea, start with a 600 then move up.
go for a ducati 696, an 00-05 can be found for like 4000
m1xx_AHWhTc

TheWolf
07-27-2009, 09:52 AM
this thread is full of people who haven't ridden.

Miles are nothing for a bike. You should get a bike that has high miles. That way you'll learn how to set chain tension. Change oil. Etc.

A Ninja 250 is a great starter bike if your 200lbs and under. If your over 200lbs get a ninja 500. The 250 won't haul your heavy ass.

your first bike should not be your primary transportation. Don't sell your car to get a bike.

your first bike should NOT be financed. When you drop your new R6 or blow the motor and are making payments on a bike you can't ride. It gets old quick. Do not goto the dealer and buy a bike/heltmet/jacket etc all financed into the price of the bike. You'll be so far upside down you'll never be able to sell it.

you should own all your gear BEFORE you buy your bike. Buy your gear when you've got "money". Most people are surprised when a cheap mesh jacket is $100+. A nice shoei helemt is $300. Gloves, shoes, pants, etc. You're going to spend atleast $500 getting yourself kitted out. If you want to ride in a tank top with no helmet, Fill out your organ donor card.

you should have taken a MSC class before you begin to look at bikes. What you learn in class will totally change your outlook on bikes. You'll need it for a license (atleast in FL).

if you ask yourself. "will I look good on this?" you don't have enough sense to ride.

There are no less than 1 million of those gixxer1k's on the planet. That one is nothing special. No sense acting on impulse

thurman548
07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Wolf is right get your gear and take the MSF course. A cheap place online is called newenough. they sale last years gear for a good price. As for everyone saying not to get the 1000 well I will tell you this. You can get what you want as long as you respect the bike. The figure 8 box is a B!tch wit big litter bikes. But then I would never give up my Busa either. Keep your car and save for a bike. There are plenty out there look on the cycletrader like someone said.

!Zar!
07-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Ninja 250, gs500, f4i, sv6450.

Those would be some good starter bikes.

And I don't see why your ego is too big to let you ride a ninja250.

Those things are fun to ride and easy to toss around. It's also fast enough for someone who hasn't ridden before.

The great thing about the bikes I listed is that they are still in demand, old or new.

So chances are high that you can buy the bike used, ride it around and then sell it for the same price you bought it for.

Most people trip out and are scared of, "the box". But all it teaches you how to do is counter lean. Which is something that is extremely helpful once you start riding.

I remember I had to teach a rider how to and what was counterleaning. He had been riding for two years without knowing anything about it.

There is no race to buy the coolest or fastest motorcycle.

The only destination when you get to once you're over your head while motorcycleing is death.

Any rider who tries to knock you for riding a 250 obviously has a bike for the wrong reasons and most likely just chills at the local `bucks.

I'm over the whole track bike on a street thing.

Soon I'm going to buy a V-Strom or FZ1 and only ride the r6 at the track and on spirited weekend rides.

lewisfk
07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
plain and simple have you ridin a bike before? if not get a junk 600 ride for a few months then upgrade. Your going to drop the bike sooner than later so dont but anything u cant ride or handle! Thats plain and simple!

ranger240
07-27-2009, 12:16 PM
buy a $500 400-500 cc bike like a kz440 or something

they look cool are dirt cheap and wont kill you

1000cc first bike? WOW dude.. start small ask yourself what youd rather drop onto your leg.. a few hundred pound Kz or some GIANT sport bike

r6_240sx
07-27-2009, 03:42 PM
In the end all this information will go through the OPs head and out the other.

Why?

Because he's gonna get the bike he wants. The size of the bike he gets depends on his cajones and his wallet. If he cared about death, he wouldn't be riding a motorcycle, PERIOD.

i drive a honda
08-18-2009, 01:27 AM
CycleTrader.

Or whatever specific bike you're looking for just go on there forum. Mostly part outs though, LOL.

yeah you get more cash that way, if i would have sold my ducati 996 i would've been $3000 richer, i parted it out and still have the fairings, and frame left and made about 4000.

OP, don't sell your car to pick up a bike. bikes are useless as an only form of transportation. strictly toy.

i don't think anyone would trade a liter bike for a 240sx and cash, it's usally the other way around.

if his bike wasn't droped it would be worth around 7

rainier
08-18-2009, 02:02 AM
The wolf said it all.

take the info the way you'd like but if you don't listen you'll regret it.

i've had friends who have started on 600s and 1000s, but they are huge and a 250 wouldnt cut it. i'm 200 pounds and its true a ninja 250 sucks ASS on startup and catching up with freeway speed but in the beginning you really dont even want to go on the freeway till you're a bit more experienced.

you'll be able to make more mistakes with the lower cc bikes and you'll be become a better rider faster than starting with something in the larger cc class

LeftNutOfGowd
08-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I'm thinking about buying my bosses bike his selling it for 3500 I'm about 6 foot tall about 230 pounds so a 250 wont cut it lol. I am also planing on taking the riding classes everyone say it's so much more worth it then just walking into the DMV and trying to take the test.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/JackSkeleton21/IMG00177.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/JackSkeleton21/IMG00178.jpg

Its a 600 this will be my first bike I mean I'm used to riding dirt bike but everyone says there two different bikes so well see. He is also going to throw in the helmet and jacket so I'm guessing its a good deal. I dont have all the details on the miles and year all I know is he got it from some other guy here at work who never really rode it and sold it to my boss but my boss ended up having another child so he never has time to ride it.

Bubbles
08-18-2009, 08:14 AM
Bikes aren't going for shit right now.

Especially ones that have been dropped.

!Zar!
08-18-2009, 12:21 PM
That an 03 or 04?

If it's an 03 find out if he had the coils changed/updated on it.

You'll probably want to re-gear it so it can feel less like a slug before 10k.

chrisa
08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I just sold my CBR 600RR, If you wanna get into riding just know this.
There are 2 kinds of riders, ones the HAVE gone down...and ones that WILL go down.
before:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/cacahead85/P1000323.jpg
After:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/cacahead85/73d9c801.jpg

driftsilvias13
08-18-2009, 04:53 PM
I just sold my CBR 600RR, If you wanna get into riding just know this.
There are 2 kinds of riders, ones the HAVE gone down...and ones that WILL go down.
before:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/cacahead85/P1000323.jpg
After:
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e52/cacahead85/73d9c801.jpg

Very true. I always was told this and was like whatever until i got into a huge accident with my r6. Stupid bitch made an illegal left in front of me and i couldnt stop in time. I was lucky I didnt die but I couldnt walk for about 2 months. Definitely dont get a liter bike for your first. Take the MSF course. I plan on getting a bike for track only soon. Too many retarded drivers on the street.

EDT007
08-18-2009, 07:48 PM
To the OP, as a fellow NJ rider, do yourself a favor, take the MSF course over at Fairleigh Dickinson University. It's worth the $ and they provide everything you need minus the gloves. If you pass the class you'll get your motorcycle endorsement for your license (aka motorcycle license). Also, as for getting a 1000 for a first bike. I agree with everyone here. Crawl before you can run. Goodluck!

stealthsr20
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Starting out on a "Litre" bike for a first ride is asking for trouble, not doubting your skills or knowledge it's just not a good idea.

WanganRunner
08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
this thread is full of people who haven't ridden.

Miles are nothing for a bike. You should get a bike that has high miles. That way you'll learn how to set chain tension. Change oil. Etc.

A Ninja 250 is a great starter bike if your 200lbs and under. If your over 200lbs get a ninja 500. The 250 won't haul your heavy ass.

your first bike should not be your primary transportation. Don't sell your car to get a bike.

your first bike should NOT be financed. When you drop your new R6 or blow the motor and are making payments on a bike you can't ride. It gets old quick. Do not goto the dealer and buy a bike/heltmet/jacket etc all financed into the price of the bike. You'll be so far upside down you'll never be able to sell it.

you should own all your gear BEFORE you buy your bike. Buy your gear when you've got "money". Most people are surprised when a cheap mesh jacket is $100+. A nice shoei helemt is $300. Gloves, shoes, pants, etc. You're going to spend atleast $500 getting yourself kitted out. If you want to ride in a tank top with no helmet, Fill out your organ donor card.

you should have taken a MSC class before you begin to look at bikes. What you learn in class will totally change your outlook on bikes. You'll need it for a license (atleast in FL).

if you ask yourself. "will I look good on this?" you don't have enough sense to ride.

There are no less than 1 million of those gixxer1k's on the planet. That one is nothing special. No sense acting on impulse

^^
This is all so spot-on I can't fucking stand it.

Start out on a used, low-displacement beater bike. Something you're not afraid to drop. Learn to maintain it, etc.

Don't buy a sportbike to save money on your commute, because you probably won't. Especially not a new one, because the depreciation on a brand-new bike is staggering.

And do NOT start on a 1000.....ugh. Learning to ride for the first time on a GSXR1000 is like learning to drive for the first time in Leno's Tank Car, only the consequences are 10x as dire if you screw up. People have done it, but that doesn't mean you should do it. Get a 250/500.

Bubbles
08-19-2009, 03:27 PM
to sell it.

if you ask yourself. "will I look good on this?"

Not gonna happen.

It'd be utterly sarcastic if anything.

I look good on everything.