PDA

View Full Version : Need some info on the 240SX

iolite
04-19-2003, 03:43 AM
What's the difference between the 180SX and the 240SX?

Isn't the 240SX a 180SX, just renamed for the overseas market?

Is the KA20DE a better motor than the SR20DE?

How much power can be squeezed out of a NA KA20DE and NA SR20DE?

revat619
04-19-2003, 03:55 AM
{hands newbie the new double strength flame suit}

Prepare for the inferno!:eek:

mrmephistopheles
04-19-2003, 05:06 AM
Hello, and welcome to Zilvia.net.
Please throughly research all questions prior to asking them in a thread posted in the forums. It's is simply common courtesy. 85% of all threads are generated by new users with the same damn questions.

http://www.zilvia.net/f/blued2/top_search.gif (http://www.zilvia.net/f/search.php?s=)

and

www.google.com

are now your best friends... your only friends..

To answer your questions....
What's the difference between the 180SX and the 240SX?

Lots. RHD/LHD, motors, interior, exterior, etc. 180SX was only ever the fastback S13. 240SX was fastback and coupe S13, as well as S14.

Isn't the 240SX a 180SX, just renamed for the overseas market?

No, for the above stated reasons.
Is the KA20DE a better motor than the SR20DE?
There is no such motor as a KA20DE. The stock US market 240sx has a KA24DE. Both motors have their good and bad, and both are non-turbocharged.

How much power can be squeezed out of a NA KA20DE and NA SR20DE
Saying NA SR20DE or NA KA24DE is redundant, as simply the name of the motor implies that it is naturally aspirated. Depending upon what route you take, anywhere from 300hp from a KA, and 250+ from an SR.

Please research before asking. This is a very rare time where I have decided to be nice and answer. Normally I just curse and scream and lock the post. :D :D

Also, please DO NOT revive threads older than three months.

boro240
04-19-2003, 08:02 AM
supposedly there IS a KA20(E i think, or maybe nothing) that was actualy a truck or van motor in japan or something. not that that has anything to do with the above topic. oh and theres also the FAQ section where you can manually search for thing commonly asked.

HaLo
04-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Actually, I suppose it's a CA20DE.. not a KA. The KA series only has 2.4 single or dual cam.

iolite
04-19-2003, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry for being such a newbie and I appreciate that you decided not to scream and yell at me, mrmephistopheles.

Your right, there isn't a motor called the KA20DE. I typed a zero in stead of a four, again I'm sorry.

I have been talk to a fella at enjuku racing and he mentioned that the best NA engine with the most potential was the KA24DE. He mentioned that the best year for the S13 was 1991, because it had the 16V KA24DE.

I have been deciding whether I should get a AE86 Carolla Levin or a 240SX. I'm just trying to get a little information to help make my decision.

RanciD
04-19-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by iolite
I'm sorry for being such a newbie and I appreciate that you decided not to scream and yell at me, mrmephistopheles.

Your right, there isn't a motor called the KA20DE. I typed a zero in stead of a four, again I'm sorry.

I have been talk to a fella at enjuku racing and he mentioned that the best NA engine with the most potential was the KA24DE. He mentioned that the best year for the S13 was 1991, because it had the 16V KA24DE.

I have been deciding whether I should get a AE86 Carolla Levin or a 240SX. I'm just trying to get a little information to help make my decision.

It depends a lot on what you're looking for. I'm obviously going to reccomend a 240sx, as most people on a Nissan forum probably would. :) I believe that it wasn't just the '91s that had the 16 valve.. that's just the year they switched to the KA24DE, as opposed to the older KA24E.. the difference being that the DE is dual overhead cam, hence the D. As far as potential without forced induction, unless you swap the japanese 20 Valve 4A engine into the AE86 (which will be very expensive) the 240sx has a lot of potential. Its relatively high displacement is a very good start for an engine you don't plan on forcing air into. If you want more information on Corollas then check out www.club4ag.com. What are you looking for specifically.. a daily driver? drift car? autocross car?

iolite
04-19-2003, 02:55 PM
According to my sources, the AE86 came with the 4A, just not the 20 valve version. The AE86 shares the same engine as the first generation MR2's and from what I here, a forced induction 4AGE is nothing to snear at.

I kinda had in mind a daily driver/drifter.

The thing that I'm most concerned with is the power to to weight ratio. From what I have read, the AE86 has a curb weight of 2039lbs. at 128h.p, while the 240SX has a curb weight of 2657lbs. at 138h.p. As you can see, the differences are quite significant, a 618lbs significance to be exact. What surprises me is that the Carolla Levin is lighter than a first generation MR2, which weighs 2336lbs with the 128h.p 4AGE.

When I initially was looking for a '89 300ZX, he told me I should look for a Carolla Levin. After he did some research and found that AE86's weren't imported to the U.S. he and his cousin advised me to get a 240SX, well that was until he found an AE86 sitting in some guys garage and is looking to sell. After my friend and his cousin got my heart set on buying a 240SX, he now wants me to buy the AE86. I haven't looked at the car yet, but I will after the weekend. My friend says that the air box is messed up, but he said I could have his since he is swaping his 4AGE with a turbocharged 3S-GE. My has a cousin with a balanced crank and a set of balanced piston rods for a 4AGE too.

There are quite a few 240SX's around here, but they're mostly automatics, have been pretty abused and have a fair amount of miles on them.

RanciD
04-19-2003, 03:16 PM
According to my sources, the AE86 came with the 4A, just not the 20 valve version. The AE86 shares the same engine as the first generation MR2's and from what I here, a forced induction 4AGE is nothing to snear at.

I kinda had in mind a daily driver/drifter.

The thing that I'm most concerned with is the power to to weight ratio. From what I have read, the AE86 has a curb weight of 2039lbs. at 128h.p, while the 240SX has a curb weight of 2657lbs. at 138h.p. As you can see, the differences are quite significant, a 618lbs significance to be exact. What surprises me is that the Carolla Levin is lighter than a first generation MR2, which weighs 2336lbs with the 128h.p 4AGE.

When I initially was looking for a '89 300ZX, he told me I should look for a Carolla Levin. After he did some research and found that AE86's weren't imported to the U.S. he and his cousin advised me to get a 240SX, well that was until he found an AE86 sitting in some guys garage and is looking to sell. After my friend and his cousin got my heart set on buying a 240SX, he now wants me to buy the AE86. I haven't looked at the car yet, but I will after the weekend. My friend says that the air box is messed up, but he said I could have his since he is swaping his 4AGE with a turbocharged 3S-GE. My has a cousin with a balanced crank and a set of balanced piston rods for a 4AGE too.

There are quite a few 240SX's around here, but they're mostly automatics, have been pretty abused and have a fair amount of miles on them.

Your friends are right and wrong.. The AE86 WAS sold in the United States.. they just weren't labeled as the Levin or Trueno. If you want one here it's going to be badged as a Corolla GT-S, produced from (I'm pretty sure) 85-87. They did indeed come with the same engine as the NA first generation MR-2s, the 4AGE, although it's only the 16 valve. MR-2s are built like tanks, despite how small they are which is the reason it's so heavy. To my knowlegde there was never a 4AG turbocharged from the factory, but first generation MR-2s were available with the 4-AGZE, the supercharged version of the engine making around 160hp if I remember right. I'm not positive, as my MR-2 is a gen 2 they used completely different engines.

Now that you mention forced induction, is this what you plan on doing? Before you mentioned NA engines and as far as that goes I think the 240sx is your best bet as the KA24DE has a good amount of all engine potential.

iolite
04-20-2003, 03:07 AM
I apologize if I made it seem that I was stating that a 4A-GE came turbocharged. I should have said that a 4A-GE with an aftermarket turbocharger is nothing to joke about. Toyota didn't offer the 20 valve 4A-GE in their cars until later, like after the end of production of the AE86 and the beginning of production of the Carolla and Trueno AE92, or I at least I'm pretty sure that's the case.

The MR-2 Mark II came with the 2.0litre I4 3S-GE, which you could get with a turbocharger. Like I stated earlier, my friend is dropping in a turbocharged 3S-GE into his Mark I '89 MR-2, or how my friend likes to say, My Mr. 2!

I would love to buy a 240SX and build up a NA KA24DE and take it drifting on the winding back roads around here, but you don't find RWD Carolla Levin in US very often, like almost never. My friend just sent me an emial about the Carolla and he said I won't find another one within 200 miles of here. I hate making these kinds of decisions, Sigh.

I'm pretty sure that the Carolla GT-S's are FWD, because my friend with the MR-2 checked out a white Carolla GT-S that is owned by someone in this area and took a peek at the undercarraige and there were CB joints up front. From what I have read, Toyota decided in 1983 to make the Carolla's and the Trueno's FWD, except for the high end models like the Carolla Levin and the Trueno Sprinter, following suit after the other car manufacturers.

boro240
04-20-2003, 05:52 AM
dude he already said it, THERE ARE NO LEVINS OR TRUENOS IN AMERICA. sorry for making it big, but you didnt seem to see it last time. ok, ::cracks knuckles::. in japan, the 84-87 Corolla Levin/Trueno had two basic chasis models, with varying trim (im not super good with the trim versions, but therees GT APEX and one more that i forget, along with the baseline). the baseline is the AE85 chasis. and the higher up is the AE86 chasis cars, which came with DOHC 4A-GE and an LSD rear end, along with many other differences. (check club4ag for a list, and conversion guide). both of these were available in Trueno and Levin designations, which only varied by front end, be it coupe or hatch. in america, all of the cars have the chasis designation of AE86, even if they technically are not. the versions available here are the SR5 (AE85) and GT-S (AE86). the differences are the same. all variants (Levin, Trueno) were released as simply Toyota Corolla SR5/GT-S. the 20V 4A-GE comes from later model FWD AE92 cars (maybe later as well, im not an AE86 expert). there is a silvertop and a blacktop IIRC. thats basics. i strongly suggest you check out www.club4ag.com if youre serious about owning any corolla.

iolite
04-20-2003, 09:49 AM
Hmmmm.....interesting. Thanks boro240, you filled in a few patchy spots. The only hard source of information that I have is the Playstation game GT2.

Thanks for the link. Geeze, there sure is a lot of material to read.

iolite
04-21-2003, 05:58 AM
I looked at thet Carolla. It was an '85 and the 4A-GE that was in it was really tired. Even though it had 170,000 on the engine, it ran more like it had 300,000+ miles. The body for the most part was in good shape, though there was some problem areas, like dents and a little left over damage from a previous accident. THe guy who owned the car had put $2500 into paint and body parts. He had to go to Canada and go through practically ever junk yard to find all the parts he needed. The back end of the car was pretty sexy. It was a coupe, which looked pretty good for a AE86, though I'm a bit partial to the hatchback version. The guy wanted $2000 for the car, but I wouldn't put the car at more than $800 or $900. Oh well, looks like I'll be shopping around for a 240SX after all, unless I come across another Carolla GT-S.

Thanks everybody for all your helpful input.

M.Piedlourde
04-21-2003, 07:03 AM
I looked at thet Carolla. It was an '85 and the 4A-GE that was in it was really tired. Even though it had 170,000 on the engine, it ran more like it had 300,000+ miles. The body for the most part was in good shape, though there was some problem areas, like dents and a little left over damage from a previous accident. THe guy who owned the car had put $2500 into paint and body parts. He had to go to Canada and go through practically ever junk yard to find all the parts he needed. The back end of the car was pretty sexy. It was a coupe, which looked pretty good for a AE86, though I'm a bit partial to the hatchback version. The guy wanted $2000 for the car, but I wouldn't put the car at more than $800 or $900. Oh well, looks like I'll be shopping around for a 240SX after all, unless I come across another Carolla GT-S.

Thanks everybody for all your helpful input.

It's Corolla, not Carolla, and the reason the prices on the GT-S models seem to be a bit high is there has been a recent surge of interest in them. Probably exactly the same reason you're interested in them, right? It has to do with a cartoon about drifting.... ;)

iolite
04-22-2003, 05:33 AM
Actually, the guy put $2500 into the paint and body parts. He wanted almost as much as what he had put into it. He doesn't want to face the reality that the car is not even worth half of what he was asking. The car barely ran and was totally gutless. If someone was selling an '85 Corolla and asking for $2000, it better have a well cared for exterior and it should have less than 140,000 miles and runs like it does. The car is eighteen years old for Pete's sake. Nobody around here wants an eighteen year old Corolla and they wouldn't know what a RWD Corolla looks like, let alone if one were to run them down. There's nothing around these parts but Honda punks in Civic's or Prelude's, or Honda punks in 240SX's or anything else that looks remotely cool, and they throw on Foldgers rap fart mufflers and useless whale tail spoilers. The closest major city, which is Seattle, is 80 miles south of here. People with even half a brain around here are most likely to buy a 240SX, an MR-2, or a Supra, not some old antiquated Corolla with 1.6litre four banger. Nobody around here wants anything less than 2.0litre.

the240sx
04-22-2003, 05:40 PM
what is the fastest model for the 1993 nissan 240sx

AceInHole
04-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by the240sx
what is the fastest model for the 1993 nissan 240sx
base. less weight.
all models had the same power rating.

but without a rear swaybar the base won't handle quite as well.

Kookaburraz
04-23-2003, 02:11 AM
All S13s had a rear sway, it was only S14 Bases that totally suck:D

iolite
06-07-2003, 03:28 AM
I just bought a 1986 Toyota MR2, so I won't be buying a Nissan 240SX.

AceInHole
06-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by boro240
supposedly there IS a KA20(E i think, or maybe nothing) that was actualy a truck or van motor in japan or something.

The KA20DE was sold in a couple commercial vehicles in the japanese market.

drift freaq
06-07-2003, 02:03 PM
ok folks, were bored and we buy a car thats not a 240. So that gives us an excuse to revive a lame thread from almost three months ago?:bash: :rolleyes: :doh: :axe: