PDA

View Full Version : im stumped turns over but dont fire up

clos84
07-23-2009, 08:01 PM
ok so its a 96ka24de in a 93
i put the 93 intake mani on it and im running aftermarket hedders.
o and a 93dizzy too.

now
the motor is in. its finished, all things plugged up, wired up, grounded, fuel lines good, all fluids good, new plugs and 8.mm wires, coil is good, dunno why it wont start.

i checked for spart, im getting spark from coil to dizzy to wires to plugs good

im getting fuel pressure atleast to the fuel filter(filter is new to)

fuel injectors seem good, i checked ohms reads 11.8 on all.
and when plugged in they click click i chekd wit stethascope.
the plugs are also reading 12volts so the harness has power.

i smell fuel on the end of plugs when ipull them out, not alot but i do smell fuel.

i do have a qtr tank of gas

02is good

other sensors are good.

all the relays and fuses are good.

i dunno why but it just wont start up.

it turns over and over and over and over and sometimes acts like it wants to fire up, like it studders but dont fire up.
and i sprayed carb cleaner stuff in the intake while was starting it and IF i do that it really tries to start up. started once for about 1.5sec lol but dropped off.
SO because of that test i ASSUME that im still not gettin fuel..... i think
i know the spark is there so if the choke cleaner tried to ignite that we put in the intake then why wouldnt FUEL?

plzz helpme out

im stumped.

93nismo
08-04-2009, 12:16 AM
did you check your lines to make sure there all straight and whatnot. im not really good at this because ive never done it. but i know when im fixing shit i tend to overlook the simple stuff. its worth a try right?

HAWAII
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
do you hear buzzing from fuel pump? fuel lines switched?!

Azimmer
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
bad fuel pump maybe i had that prblem and it turned out to be the fuel pump was bad but it can be somehtin else

aznpoopy
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
you probably have the spark timing wrong.

installing the distributor correctly usually takes multiple tries.

i feel like i've said this about a dozen times lately... lol.

if you line up the pin per the FSM and stab the distributor in, the mesh with the gears rotates the rotor right one tooth. this usually results in the distributor timing being 1-2 teeth off where it needs to be.

the car will almost seem like it's catching a little, but it won't start with the distributor off 2 teeth. if it's off one tooth, it will start, but only with the distributor maxed in one direction, and it will run very, very poorly.

DJPimpFlex
08-07-2009, 06:30 PM
how old is your gas? If its super old the car will display similar symptoms. I also aggree with azn about checking your timing.

p0onsta
08-12-2009, 07:59 AM
the distributor timing shouldn't be TOO hard to get right, but do check that.

if you have been flooding your plugs for a while, clean them all out.

once it catches, you have to keep on the starter and gas pedal by ear to keep it running enough to burn off all the crap dumped into the cylinders all those times it didn't start.

could also be a bad coil. spark doesn't necessarily mean good coil. i had this problem recently myself. the coil could be shorted and you'll still have a spark in stoic conditions (spark plug outside of engine), but under compression and with fuel, the spark may not be strong enough to ignite the mixture. There is a detailed distributor check procedure in the fsm. check your distributor or get a spare to test with.

Blitz671
08-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Sounds like your fuel pump went bad. I had the same issue with my car. After changing out the fuel pump with a walbro unit my car started.

Sileighty_85
08-20-2009, 08:31 PM
drop a teaspoon of oil in each cylinder to up the compression

I had a similar issue.
Bought an BONE STOCK S14 with a blown head gasket(KA) replaced H/G, milled head, OEM head gasket. SOB would not start for life of it, changed the dizzy 30 times, turns out it was dead on the first time. I just kept cranking with WOT, and after an 1 1/2 hours of cranking (dont forget the starters duty cycle) but one it started to fire i kept cranking it for a few more seconds and feathered the gas.

After that first fire up, its started up every time and been DDing it ever since

My rings were stuck that was my problem not sure about yours though.

ladiesman8527
08-20-2009, 08:46 PM
make sure your fuel lines arent backwards. ive done that before.

punk138
08-22-2009, 01:10 AM
^^ditto

did that last month i was stumped for about an hour... :duh:

kalypso123
08-27-2009, 04:09 AM
not going to read that wall of text, but wanted to interject... while this was happening to me, it was caused by a bad body harness.

swapped in a new one..and like magic, I had won.