PDA

View Full Version : 2gen rx-7 or 240sx

4NDRMS
04-18-2003, 09:28 PM
ok, in a month i get my license back and im deciding between a 2gen rx-7 turbo and a 89-94 240sx. i dont know too much about mazdas or nissans(ive been into DSMs for quite a while).. i need something realible and ive heard that the rotary engines arent realible. anyways, what car would be better for me? im not gonna be takin it to race or anything i just want something quick to drive around town and as far as goals for 1/4 times, i'll be happy with 13s..

SilviaDriver
04-18-2003, 09:33 PM
both cars can get u there.

if u dont know rotary..i suggest u stay away. the only way to get into 13s probably is with turbo for a 240sx.

i say 240s..and no its not a bias opinion..ive delt with rotary already..trying to fix it and it was not fun.

octane103
04-18-2003, 09:36 PM
dude........are you for real?
the 2nd gen Rx7 is the only way to go! everybody on this site would love to get their hands on one if they could! but since we cant.....we just have to live w/240's.

but thanks for asking.:D

KiDyNomiTe
04-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Since your a DSM guy I would take the 240, unless you have a good deal of knowledge with rotaries.

FCs are nice and a TII swap will do it a lot of justice. The cars generally look similar, I prefer 240s but thats just because I see more of them, but my friend has a convertable and it is very very nice.

Both are good cars, same league, I would think the FC has a bit of an upper edge, but 240s are more practical and easier to work with.

Cthulhu
04-19-2003, 12:17 AM
I was sort of looking into 2nd gen rx7's a little while ago. When a friend of mine was showing me how much he likes his FC, he went to start it. Well, he couldn't get it to start for the better part of an hour, and the car has something like 50k miles on it. I like the cars, but there doesn't seem a way around the reliability issue.

Roly
04-19-2003, 03:32 AM
I've always wanted to get a RX-7 and swap in a 1.8l Miata motor then boost it. Get this... the a bigger displacement motor, better reliability, better fuel economy, and alot easier to find than another rotory motor. Plus the Flyin' Miata turbo kit for the 1.8 has 2 built Miata's putting 400hp to the wheels with 380ft/lbs of torque. Talk about exciting!

Fireball240SX
04-19-2003, 11:14 AM
90 Turbo II end of discussion

Bbandit
04-19-2003, 12:24 PM
personally.. i would prefer owning a 2nd gen rx7 anyday
but owning one requires a lot of knowledge and time for the rotaries...
if you havent work on any rotaries before.. get 240..
unless if you have a close friend who owned an rotary for a long time..
its your call...
me? if only i have a garage to work with cars.. i would get 2nd gen rx7

MorganS13
04-19-2003, 02:30 PM
if you have another car as well... get a TII. if not get a 240. i've got a good number of friends around here with modded/stock TIIs and FDs and they're great cars when they run . i don't know anyone who has a turbo rotary and no other car to get them around because although when tuned right they can last a while, i just wouldn't trust one as a daily driver

mvaters
04-19-2003, 09:50 PM
Rx7's are as reliable as anything if you take care of it and maintane it proberly

octane103
04-20-2003, 12:05 PM
no.....i wasn't implying anything like that at all. it was just a little bit of sarcasm.;)

my apologies to anyone who was offended.

Dousan_PG
04-20-2003, 12:23 PM
i'd go with the RX-7
nothing like a white FC. sexy
espeically w/ black and silver lip wheels. mm mm mmmmm

rotors are great if you take care of it well.
also rotories are DIRT CHEAP so you can buy a back up and have it ready and built! cool. i'd like to get an FC one day..lovely cars.

gotime242
04-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Hey, i had a rx7 (2nd gen) before my current car (mr2 turbo), and all i can say that is if you want something reliable then dont get the rx7. I know rotaries, and i took damn good care of it, yet everythign still kept going wrong. With those engines its more like 1/4 take good care and 3/4 it has bad engineering and will break anyway. I had a non-turbo however and i can only imagine what more problems having the whole turbo charging system would do for reliability reasons...

Anyway, liek someone said before, the rx7 will oWN you, but only when it RUNS!!! The rest of the time you spend ****ed b/c something else needs to be fixed. And i am talking from pure experiance.

Hope i have helped, later.