PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks introducing alcohol

EvilRB
07-22-2009, 04:51 PM
http://blogs.bu.edu/bunow/files/2009/07/starbucks_logo.jpg

Starbucks introducing alcohol

OMG, OMG, OMG,...........:bowdown:

Great......is there such thing as a alcoholics and caffeine anonymous?

With sales slumping at Starbucks locations across the country, the chain is looking for new ways to bring loyal customers back in the afternoon hours. Starting with a flagship afternoon shop called “15th Ave. Coffee and Tea inspired by Starbucks” in the 15th Avenue neighborhood of Seattle, Starbucks will be introducing beer and wine (dine-in only) to the menu. Will their experiment work? School of Hospitality Assistant Professor Brad Hudson can offer his predictions for the future of Starbucks and whether their new after-hours idea will work.

Alcohol at Starbucks after dark? | BU Now (http://blogs.bu.edu/bunow/2009/07/17/alcohol-at-starbucks-after-dark/)

zenki.life
07-22-2009, 05:13 PM
this is only at the food serving ones. i think this is a good idea. starbucks wants to be seen as nicer.

Agamemnon
07-22-2009, 05:18 PM
this is only at the food serving ones. i think this is a good idea. starbucks wants to be seen as nicer.
No. Its only just for this one store. If it becomes successful, they might expand to other locations around Seattle. No further plans are in the works for out of state peeps.

SochBAT
07-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Yea. SBux has the world by the balls for Morning coffee/random shit.

Now they want the balls in the evening too!

TiNMAN
07-22-2009, 06:20 PM
starbucks sales are actually going back up

:naw:

SimpleS14
07-22-2009, 06:30 PM
I can only see this working out if they serve drinks that have a smooth taste and reminds you of chocolate or coffee. Right off the top of my head I'm thinking is Kahlua...

http://campwisconsin.com/images/food/Kahlua.jpg

I'm trying to have some with ice cream!!

http://www.icecreamireland.com/images/Dessert/Kahlua3.jpg

SochBAT
07-22-2009, 07:22 PM
I remember bringing a good amount of alcohol to work one time. I made myself and my coworkers awesome strawberry lemonade margaritas. or some shit.

buzzed working.

iROYAL
07-22-2009, 10:45 PM
great! coffee to make me shit and alcohol to make me piss.

I can't wait..

BustedS13
07-22-2009, 10:50 PM
they should just make "irish coffee", all day.

ixfxi
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
star fucks will have to explain why me, or anyone else with a working brain and a pulse, would want to go to their shitty chain as opposed to a good bar... with an actual nice selection of liquor to chose from.

unless they have a fleet of hookers that will be working for free, this idea will be an instant-fail........

ronmcdon
07-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Not too sure about this idea.

I think it's going to appeal to a limited niche market.
Ppl who like "Irish Coffee" may find this appealing (shot of whiskey with blk coffee).

Drinkers are going to hit the bar.
Alcoholics are obviously not going to get their needed fix with an Irish Coffee.
Most workers would be hesitant jeopardizing their jobs just to spike their Coffee.

I'm curious to know exactly what is the target market here.

If it were me, I would add better pastries, sweets, and food.
I don't mind the coffee at Starbucks, but I think their food is just shit.
Infact, I can't think of any chain that makes worse food than Starbucks.
(Even the faux apple pie at McD's destroys anything at Starbucks).

SochBAT
07-23-2009, 12:54 AM
Yea, but theres always that market for retarded snobs that like the atmosphere and think its 'elegant.'

ronmcdon
07-23-2009, 02:40 AM
There are retarded snobs no doubt.
I just don't think there are enough of them out there to support a national chain that size.
Besides, true snobs don't go to Starbucks (or any other corporate chain joint).

Well, actually it might work out.
I can see how some of those kiddie drinks (mocha/caramel/fruit fruppacino, etc) might also go well with kiddie liquers like Kaluah/Bailey's.

As long as the program doesn't dramatically increase their overhead, the risk isn't high.
I don't see Starbucks stocking a full bar with expensive stuff like hennessy XO cognac/grey goose/blue label, etc.

Starbucks has always been more about serving up gimmicks than good coffee,
so the concept doesn't stray that far away from their theme.
Of all the years I've gone to Starbucks,
I don't recall ever seeing anyone order a regular coffee.

Fries
07-23-2009, 02:53 AM
Coffee and espresso tastes like shit.
Blah.

The only reason I like starbucks is because the manager of the local one is a bitch [to the employees] so there's this sweet ass revolving door with the employees. The employees always seem to be hot.

God it's awesome.

Their products suck penis though.

LeftNutOfGowd
07-23-2009, 07:25 AM
I want a white russian

Agamemnon
07-23-2009, 07:50 AM
There are retarded snobs no doubt.
I just don't think there are enough of them out there to support a national chain that size.
Besides, true snobs don't go to Starbucks (or any other corporate chain joint).

Well, actually it might work out.
I can see how some of those kiddie drinks (mocha/caramel/fruit fruppacino, etc) might also go well with kiddie liquers like Kaluah/Bailey's.

As long as the program doesn't dramatically increase their overhead, the risk isn't high.
I don't see Starbucks stocking a full bar with expensive stuff like hennessy XO cognac/grey goose/blue label, etc.

Starbucks has always been more about serving up gimmicks than good coffee,
so the concept doesn't stray that far away from their theme.
Of all the years I've gone to Starbucks,
I don't recall ever seeing anyone order a regular coffee.
You've got the wrong idea. Read the article again. There is no mention of making blending alcohol drinks. They're just adding beer and wine to the menu.

Also, liquor is state controlled in Washington. Cant purchase hard liquor outside of a state run liquor store.

Just because you havent seen someone order a regular coffee at Starbucks, doesn't mean people dont do it. They're daily regular drip coffees are still the high sellers.

Future240
07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
they should just make "irish coffee", all day.

I want a white russian

These

Fuck beer and wine. They should sell the shit they sell in liquor stores. With their line up of drinks, it would be easy as fuck to throw some alcohol in there.

HyperTek
07-23-2009, 11:56 AM
drive thru alcohol!!! haha jk

Bubbles
07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Kahlua never really delivered for me.

Shame.

ronmcdon
07-23-2009, 04:58 PM
You've got the wrong idea. Read the article again. There is no mention of making blending alcohol drinks. They're just adding beer and wine to the menu.

Also, liquor is state controlled in Washington. Cant purchase hard liquor outside of a state run liquor store.

Just because you havent seen someone order a regular coffee at Starbucks, doesn't mean people dont do it. They're daily regular drip coffees are still the high sellers.

I know there wasn't any specific mention of anything outside of beer & wine.
I was contemplating the possibilities of how adding other types of alcohol into their stores would be profitable.
Bar liquor laws in WA, it's not implausible they could do okay, by adding Irish Coffees and the such.
It's an addition of options that already fits their existing scheme.

That part I mentioned about not seeing anyone order coffee at all was an exaggeration & attempt at humor.
I wasn't making serious claims about anything, and certainly wouldn't do so on the grounds of casual observation alone.
If that were my intention, I'd at least provide some sources to back it up.

I would guess that the profit margin for the $5-6 kiddie drinks are higher a regular cop of joe for $1.75 or whatever the price is these days.
Adding a shot of Kaluah or whatever gives them the opportunity to further jack up their prices accordingly.

ronmcdon
07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
These

Fuck beer and wine. They should sell the shit they sell in liquor stores. With their line up of drinks, it would be easy as fuck to throw some alcohol in there.

exactly, beer & wine aren't exactly known to go well with coffee.
They might as well throw a Pizza Hut in there.
now adding a shot whiskey/bailey's/etc to existing Starbucks drinks might not be so bad.

ixfxi
07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
I want a white russian girl

me too...........

silly_13
07-24-2009, 12:10 AM
starbucks has always been having alcohol drinks but not at the store. And im always at starbucks how are they not making money?? haha
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/25/44161386_ca9f5f6e4c.jpg?v=0