PDA

View Full Version : Installed LSD problem (searched)

SidewaysNJ
07-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey guys i need some help and i searched a bunch of threads with no problem like this.

I picked up a used 2 way nismo(supposedly). It came with the lsd, bearings and 2 shims. My stock diff housing needed a new front seal as well so i pulled my old diff out and kept everything in order (shims, shafts etc).
I cleaned the diff up and replaced the front seal and the 2 side seals.
I dropped in the 2 way with the gear ring from my open diff and the original shims from my open diff. Torqued everything down, checked the backlash to make sure it was meshing well and sealed her up. (i've installed a kaaz before with no problems)
When i turn the diff by hand everything seemed good. So i threw it back on the car, put the car on the ground and tried to reverse out my driveway with no avail. I'm like WTF? So i put it in drive and the back wheels just do NOT turn at all. I jacked the back of the car up and spin one of the wheels by hand and the other wheel spun in the same direction. So i tried to spin it again with more force and only the one wheel i was turning would spin. I don't get it.
Any thoughts? When the car was in drive the drive shaft would spin but the rear wheels would not turn. I also heard a grinding like noise from the diff. If the lsd was worn i figured the wheels would still turn but it would act like an open diff. In my case neither wheel is turning. I've never heard of a diff needing extra shims, the stock ones should be perfect. What am i overlooking? Can a diff be that shot that both wheels don't spin?
The only thing i can think of is the shaft that meshes with the gear ring is not matching up somehow. i wanted to ask you guys before i crack her open again. Thanks

Sileighty_85
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
you said you put another ring gear in the diff? are the ring and pinion gears both the same?

sounds almost sounds like the axle stubbs splines are not the correct size for the pumpkin.

aznpoopy
07-21-2009, 07:49 PM
shot in the dark; but maybe the nismo unit you received is for a VLSD equipped differential

Sileighty_85
07-21-2009, 08:34 PM
shot in the dark; but maybe the nismo unit you received is for a VLSD equipped differential
good one i forgot to add that

VLSD and Open diff ring gears are a differnt thickness

open diff ring gears are thicker

SidewaysNJ
07-22-2009, 01:03 AM
The pinion and gear ring were both off of my open diff so they should match perfect. That can't be the culprit unless they weren't lined up correctly but i doubt that.

I too thought about the lsd being made for a vlsd instead of a open diff. But how would that affect the diff?
I know the VLSD and on open diff's output shafts have the same spline count (29?) and the only difference is the length of the shaft. The VLSD shaft is longer. If the lsd is in fact for a vlsd pumpkin, does it make sense that an open diff shaft would cause the diff to not lock up and cause the problem i described earlier? Is there any way i can verify the lsd i have is for a vlsd pumpkin? Thanks guys

SidewaysNJ
07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
damn....anyone?

aznpoopy
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
it's a hard question to answer; not sure anyone has actually tried running open diff output shafts in a VLSD, or 2way for VLSD casing.

i would try to borrow some VLSD output shafts.

btw, you don't happen to drive a white s13 coupe with a big sideways sticker on it, do you?

SidewaysNJ
07-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Yeah i haven't found a thread where someone actually put the different shafts in.
Nor did i find anything on how to indentify if the lsd is for a vlsd or open diff.
I do have a vlsd somewhere, i'm going to try to pull the shafts out of that and see if that fixes my problem.

I live in northern nj. Don't have a white coupe nor any stickers...i daily a red vert.

EDT007
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
I'm in northern NJ too, I'll come by and take a look sometime tomorrow if you like. PM me your contact info.

SidewaysNJ
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm in northern NJ too, I'll come by and take a look sometime tomorrow if you like. PM me your contact info.

wow.......kinda cool, kinda freaky.... lol...nothing against you...just not used to people being so nice.

Well my buddy who was working on the diff previously tried putting in the vlsd output shafts...they were too long...so the nismo lsd is for an open diff.

What he did notice is one of the output shafts was "possibly" not installed all the way in. He said it looked like the shaft went slightly further in this time. Was that the culprit? don't know yet...were gonna put the diff back on the car within the next couple days. I will keep you guys updated.

project-D180
07-23-2009, 10:29 PM
i kno if you dont put the shims in a certain way the diff will act like that

Sileighty_85
07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
The pinion and gear ring were both off of my open diff so they should match perfect. That can't be the culprit unless they weren't lined up correctly but i doubt that.

I too thought about the lsd being made for a vlsd instead of a open diff. But how would that affect the diff?
I know the VLSD and on open diff's output shafts have the same spline count (29?) and the only difference is the length of the shaft. The VLSD shaft is longer. If the lsd is in fact for a vlsd pumpkin, does it make sense that an open diff shaft would cause the diff to not lock up and cause the problem i described earlier? Is there any way i can verify the lsd i have is for a vlsd pumpkin? Thanks guys

I know a guy that this happened to, he said the same thing, he used open diff axle splines and he said the same thing happend.
I dont know if he fixed it cuz the guy is a douche

But i used open diff splines in my shimmed VLSD out of my 180SX, left side was about 1/8in longer but still worked with out a problem.

SidewaysNJ
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Slapped the diff back on the car. Same problem. If i spin one of the wheels by hand slowly, both wheels turn in the same direction. But when i try spinning the one wheel quickly with some force, the diff makes a grinding noise and its like only the one wheel spins. Basically sounds like its slipping.
I never had to actually open an lsd up. Has anyone here ever rebuilt an lsd before? Any guideance or diagrams to help me out?
I'm guessing either something is worn out or someone took it apart and didn't reinstall things properly. Thanks.