PDA

View Full Version : looking into 300zx's

Nismo240SX
04-17-2003, 09:48 AM
well, since i've got my car painted and body kit on... yada yada yada... its an actually appealing car now. so i'm thinking i've trading for a 90-95 300zx. i'd like to get a TT, but insurance will be like double than it is now... and me being a 17 white male, it high as hell as it is now. so, i'm prolly going to settle for the regular 222hp 3.0 NT. i'm for sure wanting leather, power widnows and locks, and a 5 spd. if i get one, i'm probably going to get my local exhuast shop to y pipe to dual exhuast on each side with apexi universal canisters.. the ones on the n1 dual. 3'' piping shouldn't be too bad. i can get that done pretty cheap. and add the injen intake system on that... it should move a whole lot better than my 240, right? so, what do you guys think?

Dousan_PG
04-17-2003, 09:55 AM
dont get a NA waste of money
but be forwarned
300zx are such a HUGE pain to work on yourself!! unless you have the skills and paitience (Second car recommended)
mechanics charge a arm and leg for maintenance on ti because of this.

ive drive a 400+ HP TT (my friends) and its FUN but i wouldnt want to own it. i love the 240sx. cheap, easy to replace and low insurance and gas costs. :)

TTs are fun and mean and if built right, quite fast. impressive cars for stock but i wouldnt want one.

i hope you TEST DRIVE one before trading.

M.Piedlourde
04-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Agree with Dousan 100%.

Extremely tight engine bay, not fun or easy to work on at all. I believe in the TTs you have to take the engine out to get to the turbos, which would be an incredible PITA, because the turbos are the parts you'll need to replace first in an aging, high-mileage car.

Don't waste your time on an NA. I've driven them, and the cars are nice and solid, but they're kind of like, hmmm? when it comes to power. Sort of like tooling around in a V6 Camaro. A poser.

I don't understand your logic of wanting to sell your 240SX now that "it's actually an appealing car now". If you think it's nice now, why would this be a reason for you to want to sell it?

ca18guy
04-17-2003, 11:11 AM
I mentioned it a few times here that I just recently bought a 300ZXTT. A few things I think, if you have any worries about money, think you may have to put off repairs cause you may not beable to afford them, or have to scrap for food after paying for the car and insurance every month, DO NOT BUY A TT! It will bite you in the ass eventually, repairs are not cheap on the cars and they can come in a hurry. Another pet peeve of mine is kids buying TT's and doing crap mods to them and ragging the **** out of them (the market is getting flooded with these flogged cars) If you can't afford a simple $700 exhaust for the car, then you probably can't afford the car. I personally don't listen to people that complain about the tight engine space :rolleyes: To me the rewards of the engine are worth the hassel, it sucks yes, but i wouldn't let it determine if I purchased the car or not. Also a TT is not the best daily driver IMHO I plan on buying a crap daily driver to keep the milage low and the car fresh. Besides that if I even get a ding on it while it is in a parking lot it would ruin my day, if I daily drive it I would have alot of ruined days :(

As for N/A's, I like them. They have good power and they of course look nice. I would like one with leather and such as a daily driver but my budget says no to 2 Z's :(

Anyways, I was gonna whore a pic here, but it keeps timing out on me, oh well :(

EDIT: If you buy a n/a 300ZX DO NOT EVER EVER EVER take a ride in a twin turbo model, just a suggestion for your sanity :o :p

Also why do you want rid of your 240sx if you just fixed it up? :confused:

Nismo240SX
04-17-2003, 03:34 PM
to answer some of your questions...

1st off, my car looks nice, but i'm going to have to get a different bumper because mine looks like poo. second that, it's an automatic...no power windows nor door looks which is very annoying to me.

2nd, the 300zxs got me into nissans, the 240 was an alturnative to the fairlady.

3rd, i'm too young to die. the TT is out of question, and the exhaust idea was me just being cheap. i've got the n1 dual on my car, so i know i can afford a good exhaust system on the 300zx.

4th, the non-turbo model is faster than what i have. 222hp 3.0 sounds nice, but thats stock output... add headers, intake, and exhaust. that frees up some power but not like a fire breathing monster.

5th, 300zx's are much classier to me. Leather, all power, and a bigger overall car.

to sum this up, my car is old and on its later legs. plus everyone in my town everyone is getting 240s. my best friend is getting his gp sports kit put on, and i really don't want to out do him via the same car. no-one here has a 300zx. and i know i like them. anybody here understand what i'm trying to say?

Dousan_PG
04-17-2003, 03:47 PM
sounds like you already made up your mind. have fun
NA blows

get a TT

a good driver behind the wheel and there are no worries.

logo20
04-17-2003, 04:42 PM
I don't think the different in insurance between the n/a and turbo would be that big. though I'm sure it's gonna be really high for your age in a sport car. probably once you have a 300zx na for a while you gonna feel like you now feel about the 240sx, so just get a tt :p unless you don't know how to drive manual and don't have to much need for speed I say just get a n/a.
ca18guy let's see some pics.

ca18guy
04-17-2003, 05:51 PM
I have no good pics of my car :( Once I get home and have my digi cam with me I'm gonna take nice beach shots and stuff cause I'm a big loser like that :) Anyway here is the car sitting in my parents driveway (thankfully they keep it in the garage)

OK after letting the Zilvia Upload crap out a few more times I'll just host it on my own domain space :mad:

CLICK HERE FOR PIC (http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid60/p31deeb74f98cefadd9a9a47cc8b552f2/fc519016.jpg)

logo20
04-17-2003, 06:13 PM
pic don't work. :(

ca18guy
04-17-2003, 06:40 PM
It work now? If not screw it, there is a even crappier pic in the gallery here under the Z section :o

logo20
04-17-2003, 08:15 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/photo/data/504/87MyCar01.jpg
the white 300zx? It's sweet, I like the rims.

whateverjames
04-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Go for the TT. You'll be wishing you did once you put a couple grand worth of mods into the n/a. You won't kill yourself, it's just a 14 second quarter mile car, stock. Respect it and it will respect you.

My friend let me borrow his 400hp TT for a few days, not too long ago. After driving it, I must say, I plan on buying one eventually. He just got his ECU upgraded for 555 injectors, the 555cc injectors themselves, and a pulley set shipped from Stillen. I wonder if he'll let me borrow it again :D His hatch got rusted out and it was replaced with an N/A hatch of the same color. Talk about a sleeper.... (no rear wing or "Twin Turbo" emblem. It fools a lot of people.)

zenki-ceza
04-17-2003, 11:58 PM
i was about to make the move to a 300zx tt but the cons just out due the pros and being a student with limited income hurts too. it was hard to say no to the deal that i found but i just said to my self "if you get a bike for the summer it will fulfill your need for speed" so as you can see i can wait for my z im always going to be a z lover, but you cant put a z sideways like you can an s14.:p

Nismo240SX
04-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Q. How much is the price tag on one of those? (TT)

A. More that i can afford pal.

yeah. i would like the TT, but the pocket wont let me do it. being 17, driving to school everyday, and work... makes the turbo idea blow all to hell. my transmition in my car just recently is trying to lock up... so the z is a possibilty. come on guys, a NT Z isn't all that bad. i'll just be a nice ricer:p . plus its faster than what i've got right now, and it solves the 5spd that i want, as well as my broken seat, no power windows and door locks. by the way anybody know what a NT 300zx does in a 1/4? my car is dieng, i want to revive it, but everything is going to need to be replaced. anybody know what i mean? a s14 is a possibilty though. ;)

ca18guy
04-18-2003, 01:48 PM
Magazine times.....

1990 300ZX Non-Turbo
0-60 7.0
1/4 Mile ([email protected]) [email protected]

Got that off of Z32.org

Nismo240SX
04-18-2003, 06:05 PM
15.4 sounds better to me than 16.2 or worse... my car only has 2 gears now. :(