PDA

View Full Version : need some advice on renting out a room in my house that i own

ANVIL
07-17-2009, 10:52 AM
so for the past 6 yrs my brother and i have lived in the same house that we bought together. hes moving out of the country at the end of the month and im taking on the house on my own with my gf. i can afford the mortgage but wont be able to live as comfortably as im used to. there are going to be 2 available rooms for me to rent or do whatever with. i plan on renting at least one room out to help me save some money. one of my friends is asking if he can rent one room out and i havent given him an answer yet. the thing is, if he moved in, for probalbly 2-3 months he would rent the room alone for $400 a month. i would offer him the other room, and pretty much the whole downstairs for $800. the thing is he told him his gf and their newborn will move in eventually. i dont have a problem with that but the thing is would it be wrong to ask for more a month even though they would still have one room? if they didnt opt to rent out both rooms? how much would be fair? this would be the first time for me to rent out a room and not sure what to do... anyone with some good advice?

BustedS13
07-17-2009, 11:15 AM
i'd ask for more. more bodies = more frequent occupation of things you want to use in the house. also more noise and general annoyance.

god i hate people. we've had a room in our house available to rent since we moved in but haven't filled it because we don't want the annoyance. i'm thinking about making it my office.

Brian
07-17-2009, 11:20 AM
^^^
true.

Also, a NEWBORN???

Noise disturbance to the MAX.

I would jack up the price. Yeah it might be "crappy", but you gotta think about your brain. It's gonna explode.

Slammed180
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Thankfully, I just rented out my basement.
Pays for over half the mortgage, and very minimal disturbance.

But I agree with these guys! I would think it's fair to ask for a higher price based on the amount of occupants, especially if a newborn is in the picture.

ANVIL
07-17-2009, 12:32 PM
how much do you think would be "fair" to raise up when the gf and newborn comes? never really minded kids, but yeah now that i think about it a newborn is kinda bad idea. late night noise and probably have them asking us to be quiet cuz they just put the baby to sleep or whatever....

BustedS13
07-17-2009, 12:37 PM
if it were me, i'd make them pay 2/3 or 3/4 the mortgage. maybe the whole thing. it depends on the situation. house size and proximity and all that shit.

greddy2die
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I agree, more people = more money.

Living with friends sucks in the long run.. well, just living with people..lol

I did it for 2 years and it was cool at first, but after awhile you get really annoyed.

I would have a long day of work, want to come home and relax on the couch and watch tv or have a smoke break and play xbox, but sometimes couldnt because there was my roommate doing something.

Or if you want to have just a relaxing night at home and then your roomie invites people over, i mean, its only fair, hes paying partial bills too right?

It just gets aggrivating.

Also, gotta think about what if you wanna walk around in your birthday suit? Nothing is better then having the freedom to walk around naked...lol There goes that freedom with people living there. Unless your that comfortable with your friend and his g/f LOL

Charlie
07-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I would say make a contract, and every addition person that lives there will raise there set rent amount up whatever amount you chose. We raise the rent $50 a person, and for newbourns a little more because of the noise and the additonal amount of water you would need to bathe the baby. I think its going to be a bitch for you because you guys are going to be living in the same house, we rent out our two additional houses to two seperate familys so yeah.

BustedS13
07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I agree, more people = more money.

Living with friends sucks in the long run.. well, just living with people..lol

I did it for 2 years and it was cool at first, but after awhile you get really annoyed.

I would have a long day of work, want to come home and relax on the couch and watch tv or have a smoke break and play xbox, but sometimes couldnt because there was my roommate doing something.

Or if you want to have just a relaxing night at home and then your roomie invites people over, i mean, its only fair, hes paying partial bills too right?

It just gets aggrivating.

Also, gotta think about what if you wanna walk around in your birthday suit? Nothing is better then having the freedom to walk around naked...lol There goes that freedom with people living there. Unless your that comfortable with your friend and his g/f LOL

last night my roommate invited an army of frat dudes over and they played beer pong all night in the back yard. i get up and there's like five cases of empties thrown around out there and a ladder going up to the roof for some reason.
but it's hard to care because he'll clean it up and he cleaned the whole house on his own before they showed up. and they stayed outside because i had to get up early. so i don't even know why i'm typing this.
sharing the living room tv DOES suck sometimes, though. :trogdor: