PDA

View Full Version : Automobile mechanic engineer school

Dark_Undead
07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi,

I'm from Montreal in Canada and here we don't have any program for automobile mechanic engineer, I thought maybe I could go to the U.S. and study there. Now I'm wondering if you guys know any university/college that have this program?

Thanks

ALTRNTV
07-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Wyotech (http://www.wyotech.edu/?dmredirect=INTRNTS)
Universal Technical Institute (UTI) (http://www.uti.edu/)

I wouldn't suggest going into that field though... and I'm sure most people here will say the same thing.

Ceepo
07-17-2009, 12:45 AM
get a job at an autoshop you will learn way more in 1 month there then you will in 9 months at wyo tech.... just my opinion...

ronmcdon
07-17-2009, 01:42 AM
Is there such a academic program called 'automobile mechanic engineer'?
Getting into an engineering degree is one thing.
Being certified as a mechanic is probably another.

I doubt Canada/Montreal would be that backwards, that they don't offer a degree in either.

FrankDukes
07-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Is there such a academic program called 'automobile mechanic engineer'?
Getting into an engineering degree is one thing.
Being certified as a mechanic is probably another.

I doubt Canada/Montreal would be that backwards, that they don't offer a degree in either.

Engineering is a tough field to get into and out into the world with. Mechanic are now technicians because cars are getting more technical with electrical components.

Engineers are usually theory minded and they use CAD, Catia, Solidworks and other Structual design and deal with material strenght, and all sorts of formulas and concepts.

Mechanics and technicians are more hands on learning experience, the practical or practice part of the learning experience.

Engineers commonly make more money but it is a difficult field to get a job in and you need hook ups. Mechanics and technician positions are not that difficult to obtain a job. You can get certified through ASE and other organizations and find a decent job and living.

As an engineer myself, I find that conceptual and theoretical learning was somewhat effective, but as a born inventor and technician the best knowledge is hands on. You will hardly ever use many of the concepts they talk about in Engineering courses, because you will not deal with them in your daily life. Yes, there are critical information as material strenght, loads, stress, and tolerances that is essential, but all the super complext forumlas and theories are not practical in the real world, unless you have a sick ass, high paying, super technologically advanced job.

The best way to choose is, buy an Ka24de, strip it down, and rebuild it to be very powerful and fast. See how you like it. Then use computers, drawing tools, softwares, and design your own engine and read read read and research and even copy some engine designs or suspension designs and develope your own type. See which leaning is best for you, conceptual theoretical or hands on and practical.

Dark_Undead
07-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate :)

iwishiwas-all*
07-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Being an engineer is one thing. Being a mechanic is another. Be specific as to what you want to do. Ontario has a pretty well regarded engineering school too. The name eludes me, but you need to know what you want to do.

vvtisupra
07-18-2009, 05:47 AM
actually you can be an automobile mechanical engineering. Few universities are accredited. I believe one is in michigan and one maybe in arizona.

Dark_Undead
07-18-2009, 08:49 PM
Sorry about all the confusing things. Because here in Montreal we have a cegep/college degree known as ''Génie Mécanique'' and after that degree you can go to get a Bachelor's degree known as '' B.A.C.C. en Génie Mécanique'' and you can focus in aircraft/building/etc...

The only thing is they don't have the automobile sector here and I know in FRANCE they have that, but since I live in Montreal it's gonna be easier to go to the US study...

ronmcdon
07-18-2009, 11:13 PM
What does 'Genie Mecanique' translate to?
Is that Mechanical Engineering?
If so, yes, we have that same degree in most universities/colleges here.

College education in France is FREE from what I hear.
I consider that if I were you.

Dark_Undead
07-18-2009, 11:35 PM
first here in (college = cegep) = post-secondary/high school and pre-university. Now that's clear...well if you have the cegep degree in '' Genie Mecanique" here you are a technician, if you go get your Bachelor's degree you are an ingeneer and that's what I am looking (to go study outside of Canada)

.Smitty.
07-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Engineering is a tough field to get into and out into the world with.

Engineers commonly make more money but it is a difficult field to get a job in and you need hook ups.

Do you really think that it's hard to find a job as an Engineer? Here in St. Louis (I go to Mizzou, studying ME) the companies practically line up at career fairs for interns and whatnot. The companies compete for workers, the workers don't compete for the companies (in most cases - not for like BOEING, and the BIG BIG companies). Sure, you might not get your dream job, but you're going to get a solid ME job paying $50,000 and up right out of college. Engineering is ALWAYS growing - there will always be problems and there will alway be the need for engineers to fix them.

Not bashing what you said, just saying how it's portrayed at Mizzou and in St. Louis, and wondering if its really that different anywhere else.

sidewayz240
07-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Im starting at Georgian college in Barrie, Ontario this year in the automotive mechanical engineering - Product design course. They have two different auto. mech. engineering courses, might be something you'd want to look into. Its basically the only program like it in Ontario, I didnt really look mush into other provinces/the u.s. because my funding dosnt like that.

Let me know if you want any info on the course.

ronmcdon
07-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Hmm..I'm guessing this is something that falls under the Canadian educational curriculum.
Never heard of it in the US.
Makes perfect sense though, considering the overlap between engineering and working on cars.

I admire how Canada provides for a 'high-school' degree/specialization out of working on cars.
That opens up additional job opportunities at the very least.
US high schools are too focused on college prep, and usually don't do enough to prepare their students for practical job skills imo.

Not sure why it would make sense for you to get a BA for working on cars.
I don't see how lower division college classes would help anyone become a better mechanic.
An ASC certificate, to me at least, makes a bit more sense.