PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up - Red Light Right Turn California

airsoft
07-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Make Sure you stop completely before proceeding. No short cuts.

Pointed out by Zar in a few posts below.

21453(A)

Circular Red or Red Arrow
21453. (a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.

(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 14, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.

**Sorry misinformed everyone**

BustedS13
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
1.) we don't even have red arrows here but i know what they mean
2.) 436.00 for a camera pic for running a red? rofl, my 98 in a 60 didn't even cost that much with lawyer fees.

soreballz
07-15-2009, 09:48 PM
So, the light was red, and you didn't stop?

That's dumb.

iROYAL
07-15-2009, 09:54 PM
so...no turn on red throughout California...:confused:

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 14, Stats. 2001. Effective January 1, 2002.I've done it a bunch of times in front of a cop and was never pulled over. Not the rolling stop but turning while there's a red circle light.

!Zar!
07-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Why are we even posting this?

It's a known.

You have to come to a complete stop when turning right on a red, or left from a one way street, to another.

1.) we don't even have red arrows here but i know what they mean
2.) 436.00 for a camera pic for running a red? rofl, my 98 in a 60 didn't even cost that much with lawyer fees.

That's a dumb statement.

Running a red light is a lot more dangerous to people than someone going slightly over the speed limit in a straight line.

airsoft
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Relax... people.

I wasn't flying... I was rolling to the light <10mph. Besides the point.

I'm merely notifying everyone here... roll @ your own risk. and if you didn't know, regardless if safe or not, you can not PROCEED until green/instructed to do so.

I'm sure everyone above this post stops @ every red light and waits then turns when legal to.

Thought I'd be nice to maybe remind everyone to stop.

Matej
07-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Being allowed to make a right turn during a red light is one of the things I like about driving in America.

singlecamslam
07-15-2009, 10:35 PM
So what you're saying you have to wait for a green to turn right at a circle red light? I stop and go all the time never once got a ticket for that.

wh0aitznic0
07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
In NJ, you NEED to stop at a red light/stop sign regardless if you're going straight or making a right turn. Procedure I was taught was STOP>CHECK>TURN RIGHT. Rolling a stop sign or a red light is still considered "running" it.

Felipe
07-15-2009, 10:42 PM
California Roll lol

airsoft
07-15-2009, 10:42 PM
*****Misinformed you guys******

You can proceed to turn right @ a red.

Felipe
07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
usually i count (thousands) till 3 then i go....

HyperTek
07-15-2009, 10:48 PM
so why do some lights have a "Do not turn on red" ??

i did this today, stopped and proceeded to turn right on a red light in front of a cop who was going straight too

airsoft
07-15-2009, 10:50 PM
^^

I am baffled myself, and I owe Pasadena 400+ dollars :(

BustedS13
07-15-2009, 10:52 PM

blind spots.

/thread

murda-c
07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
i ran a red light, it was an 80 dollar ticket.

airsoft
07-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Buy my wheels now. On sale even more.

!Zar!
07-15-2009, 10:54 PM
WTF are you talking about.

Read what you quoted.

(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.

You see that COMMA.

That mean you can NOT proceed when there is a sign. Such as
http://www.trafficsignstore.com/R10-9a.jpg
or
http://www.trafficsignstore.com/R10-11c.jpg

After that there is a COMMA.

When read properly means that you CAN turn on a red once following the other prerequisites UNLESS there is a sign stating otherwise.

This thread is confusing people and misinforming them over something that is already known.

drift freaq
07-15-2009, 10:55 PM
this thread should be in regional and you got nailed because you rolled a red. AKA California stop.

If you read those statutes you listed carefully, you will realize that if you come up to a red make a complete stop, look and then turn right on the red you are legal.

Unless the the intersection is marked no right on red.

Oh and you also live in Pasedena which is worse than Los Angeles when it comes to traffic camera's LOL

!Zar!
07-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Finally someone who knows what's up.

blackrms13
07-15-2009, 11:01 PM
damn thats right next to my house...LOL

but if u see a red light camera...better not roll through it
if u stopped and rolled through u'd be fine

!Zar!
07-15-2009, 11:03 PM
You're supposed to make a complete stop (something like 5 seconds) then proceed.

My friend stopped for two or three seconds and was STILL given a red light ticket.

Those ticket lights not only take a picture, but they record low grade video as well.

airsoft
07-15-2009, 11:10 PM
^
Ok, so you can make a right, my mistake.

Make sure you all make a complete stop first. :( No short cuts.

drift freaq
07-15-2009, 11:16 PM
^
Ok, so you can make a right, my mistake.

Make sure you all make a complete stop first. :( No short cuts.

I suggest you edit your first post or delete this whole thread because its useless. You made a violation. Nothing new, nothing different. Though now you are confusing the fuck out of people who might take it the wrong way if they do not stop to think about it. Or fail at reading legal English.

silly_13
07-15-2009, 11:25 PM
yea ur suppose to stop for 5 seconds when theres no sign or cameras, but if theres cameras and signs u have to wait for the green.

Fries
07-15-2009, 11:29 PM
I'm over zilvia and all the fucking "I don't know the law and I got a ticket."

I want something interesting...

"I tried drifting on a main street and somehow landed on top of a cop car. P.s. I was naked"

Yeah. Someone go do that.

ronmcdon
07-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Lol, I always see ppl at traffic school for the very same offense.
It's just about one of the most straightforward traffic laws there are.

If there is a camera, I wouldn't even risk making that turn even after a full stop.
Better safe than sorry.

Flipzide
07-16-2009, 01:34 AM
LMAO.. you're not supposed to roll at a red or at a stop sign. complete stop THEN go... it's not that hard to understand.

when i had to take traffic school after i got a ticket at 16, there was more "california rollers" than speeders XD.

shishcabobers
07-16-2009, 01:52 AM
The real question is, how in the hell you got your license not knowing this until now.

!Zar!
07-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Like I said, it records as well.

So if you do challenge it, they can pull up the video.

As long as you have stopped for the full five seconds, you are ok.

SochBAT
07-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Shitty american drivers.

Seriously, you LEARN THIS SHIT DURING YOUR LICENSE TEST.

Fuck.

Freedom costs a buck oh five.

Phlip
07-16-2009, 07:11 AM
That mean you can NOT proceed when there is a sign. Such as
http://www.trafficsignstore.com/R10-9a.jpg
or
http://www.trafficsignstore.com/R10-11c.jpg

Unless there is one of those up in the intersection, I come to a complete stop, make sure nothing is coming and proceed to make my right turn, red light or green... Did it in front of a cop Monday.
I guess that is a national thing.

Daniel.
07-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Shitty american drivers.

Seriously, you LEARN THIS SHIT DURING YOUR LICENSE TEST.

Fuck.

Freedom costs a buck oh five.

What the fuck guys. Cheat knows what's up.

EVERYONE who has a license should already know this shit.

:nono:

aguy
09-01-2009, 01:54 AM
does the right-turn-on-red matter if you are in the right only lane, which has not light? if one were to turn red in this case, would it be a ticketable offense?

zenki.life
09-01-2009, 02:19 AM

i did this today, stopped and proceeded to turn right on a red light in front of a cop who was going straight too

im thinking because of traffic issues. because on a local light just like that, there are certain hours where it is illegal and certain hours where it is perfectly fine

!Zar!
09-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Right on red is cool.

Doesn't have to be the far right.

Just as long as you can legally turn right.

Same goes for left hand turn. turns from a 1way to a 1 way.

blackrms13
09-01-2009, 03:19 AM
Same goes for left hand turn. turns from a 1way to a 1 way.
always wondered about that

one way making a left onto another one way on red...

so i guess it is legal..

handinpants
09-01-2009, 04:11 AM
jeezus, someone read the dmv handbook... its a red light, of course you are supposed to STOP, then proceed to turn right when safe.

as far as those cameras go, well you shoulda followed the law, and stopped at the limit line.
oh man, my old boss had soo many of those redlight photo tickets he would joke and say they are like family photos

DALAZ_68
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Relax... people.

I wasn't flying... I was rolling to the light <10mph. Besides the point.

I'm merely notifying everyone here... roll @ your own risk. and if you didn't know, regardless if safe or not, you can not PROCEED until green/instructed to do so.

I'm sure everyone above this post stops @ every red light and waits then turns when legal to.

Thought I'd be nice to maybe remind everyone to stop.

its California, most mentality is "No Cop, No Stop, California roll"

if u think like that u deserve to get ticketed...shit happens...know responsibilities...

!Zar!
09-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I always come to a full stop.

It's not like you are saving gobs of time rolling through.

I have a friend who doesn't even try to slow to a complete stop at signs.

I HATE that shit when I'm in the car.

Next time he tries, I'm yanking the ebrake.

blackrms13
09-01-2009, 12:52 PM

it does save gas and brake pads....LOL

ixfxi
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
i am surprised more people havent PAINT BALL GUNNED those fucking cameras yet... you americans are a bunch of pussies (me included).

it *should* be like the wild wild west out here, where we dont play that shit. instead, we're all backing down from THE MAN

but yeah, you gotta slow, stop, then proceed to make your right unless it specifies NO TURN ON RED

fuck i hate these money making cameras

!Zar!
09-01-2009, 01:51 PM
On another thread regarding lights, someone noted how the city rents the cameras from individuals.

So would it be a petty crime or a federal crime?

haha

DALAZ_68
09-01-2009, 02:16 PM
wasnt it proven that if u drive faster than 130 or so the camera's arnt quick enough? lol

i forgot the actual speed...

meteorite_flo
09-01-2009, 05:43 PM
The real question is, how in the hell you got your license not knowing this until now.

I also have friends that do the same thing. I just don't say shit to them, my philosophy is to make them learn the hard way when they get a ticket. Then when they complain about it, that's when I'll be like, "well your dumb ass should have made a complete stop." Make them feel so stupid.

!Zar!
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Only problem I have with that is if I'm in the car that's my life at risk.

Not to mention others are at risk when you cruise through stop signs and red lights.

illvialuver
09-03-2009, 02:43 AM
incase anyone did not know, we have to wear seatbelts too, and it is illegal to drive without a drivers license or auto insurance.

but thanks for the heads up.