PDA

View Full Version : Turbo size?

InferiorWang
04-14-2003, 07:27 PM
I'm looking for a car and thinking about getting a 240sx b/c I'm having a hard time finding a dsm at the moment. I know that people have turbo'd ka's and was wondering if a mitsu 14b would work well. They boost 2.0l eclipses up to 17 or 18 psi before just pushing hot air. Would the work well enough for a 2.4l ka? I did some searching and people seem to recommend T3's, but I know I can find a 14b cheap and am not sure where to look for a T3. So...please don't flame cuz I did search a little but didn't find anything just about 14b's. Will they work for 6-7 psi on the ka?

Jeff240sx
04-14-2003, 07:38 PM
This is a question Ace should field.. but since he's being flaky on AIM, I'll take it. :D

The 14b is a good turbo, and sized somewhere between a t28 and t3 or something close. That turbo should be good until 12-14psi.
-Jeff

InferiorWang
04-14-2003, 07:45 PM
I know that the 14b is a little smaller than the T28. The T28 is only slightly smaller than a big 16g. Many people with 1g dsm's upgrade to the 16g and people with 2g's upgrade to the T28 b/c the bolt up easier to the respective generations.

AceInHole
04-14-2003, 08:42 PM
yeah. DD has a leak and e-brakes are a PITA so I'm in and out.

I plan on getting a 14B and using it for up to 10psi. I have a 12B right now and I love it for autoX, since it spools and reacts quick enough to make it feel like its still NA. It's handling 7psi like a champ. So, if a small turbo like that can do it, I'm willing to bet the 14B should be able to as well.

One thing though, is if you can find yourself a Volvo TD05 exhaust housing, you can have it machined very easily and cheaply (the shop did it for free for me since it was so quick) to mate any TD05 center section and compressor housing (all TD05 exhaust wheels are the same size) to it, and the Volvo uses T3 - like flanges which gives you TONS of options for later.