PDA

View Full Version : lsd???

lex615
07-09-2009, 10:32 AM
how can i find out if my 95 s14 has a viscous or gear diff?

DRIFTER-M
07-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I may or may not be mistaken but I believe your differential case should say VLSD on it if you have a VLSD equipped model.

You can also test this by Jacking up the rear of your S14, putting your car in neutral, and spinning one of the wheels.

-If you have an LSD, welded or VLSD in this matter (pretty much any type of Limited Slip Differential), both of your wheels should spin in the same direction. Example: If you spin your driver side wheel forward, your passenger side wheel should also spin forward.

-If you have an open-gear differential, when you spin your wheel one way, the other wheel should spin the other way. Example: If you spin your driverside wheel forward, the passenger side wheel should spin backwards.

Or, perhaps the more fun way of testing, find a place where it is acceptable to do a burnout, then check your tire marks.
-1 tire mark = Open Gear
-2 tire marks = Some type of Limited Slip

I also believe you can call Nissan, give them your VIN number, and they can look it up to see.

Hope this helps :D

4x4le
07-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Edit: had this page pulled up for a minute, didnt see there was a reply.

jack it up, spin 1 rear tire by hand and if the other turns in the same direction you have a vlsd and if the other turns in the opposite direction you have an open diff.

Both suck

projectRDM
07-10-2009, 09:21 PM
S14s in the US market were only equipped with VLSD if they had ABS as well. Does it have ABS?

Unless someone added one before you bought the car, that is your answer.