PDA

View Full Version : city of Los Angeles asks for donations

BustedS13
07-08-2009, 09:09 PM
LOL

And how much did you donate to the city for the Michael Jackson memorial? | Pop & Hiss | Los Angeles Times (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2009/07/and-how-much-did-you-donate-to-the-city-for-the-michael-jackson-memorial.html)

oh and nobody donated.

ZenkiKid
07-08-2009, 09:23 PM
wow.

thats just like the Owners of the lakers, the Bus's paying for the laker championship parade because LA was broke

apex
07-08-2009, 09:29 PM
they should have just melted him down and recycled him into like but plugs or sumthing

upsdude
07-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I refused to give money or be involved with tuesday's molestapalooza in any way.

thesimpleS13
07-08-2009, 10:26 PM
no offense to any fans of michael...but...fuck him, " OMG! he's the next elvis" "blah blah blah" WHO CARES!? we shud all just move on, and let him be cremated into a dildo...lol

YoungGun
07-08-2009, 10:28 PM
That memorial was so dumb.

HyperTek
07-09-2009, 12:55 AM
u guys hate mj we get it already.. lol
if it dont involve you, than who cares

ronmcdon
07-09-2009, 12:57 AM
No free lunch - L.A. pays $50,000 for cop lunches - LA Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12786871?source=rss)

Feeding the controversy over taxpayer costs for the Michael Jackson memorial, officials disclosed Wednesday that the city paid nearly $50,000 for box lunches from an upscale market 80 miles northeast of L.A. for police who worked the event.

An outraged City Controller Wendy Greuel, whose office is responsible for paying city bills, said her staff researched the expense and found that 3,500 box lunches ordered from local Subway shops in Los Angeles would have cost only about $17,500.

"There are many troubling issues that are raised by this expenditure," Greuel said in a letter to Jim Featherstone, general manager of the Emergency Services Department.

"While it appears your office followed the rules for when an emergency is declared, it does not appear your office took steps to find the lowest possible price to provide lunch for the first responders."

She added that in the current economic climate it would have been better to have the meals purchased in the city of Los Angeles. Buying within the city would also give the city local sales tax revenue.

Instead, the lunches were made at Jensen's Finest Foods in Wrightwood, a hamlet tucked high in the San Gabriel Mountain range.

The lunch costs further fueled an already angry debate over why Los Angeles, in the middle of a budget crisis, has had to pay millions of dollars in personnel costs for the private event at Staples Center.

DALAZ_68
07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Don't tax AEG for it.

ha...fuck that...there the ones who pretty much got global exposure on this....why shouldnt they cover the cost...honestly this was more of a publicity stunt for AEG, than a burial/memorial for a dead man...

Genovese.Jr
07-09-2009, 01:03 AM
they write enough tickes they can pay for it

blackrms13
07-09-2009, 01:05 AM
wow 50k for lunch?

and they are saying Cali is broke =.=

DALAZ_68
07-09-2009, 01:14 AM
wow 50k for lunch?

and they are saying Cali is broke =.=

and im pretty sure that it was AEG's idea to go with w/e catering service they did use because subway is not worth there time...

they make so much fucking money...1.4 should be nothing...and like i said...they got GLOBAL fucking exposure...

napaKAliboog
07-09-2009, 02:14 AM
Honestly, cali isn't broke...under the table.

FaLKoN240
07-09-2009, 03:04 AM
It's so funny how people go out of their way to hate on a man that is DEAD.

Fucking let him RIP, and have some respect for the good things he did in his life.

I downloaded all of his music again, I got like 42 songs of his on my iphone now. :)

HyperTek
07-09-2009, 03:06 AM
how bad was it when the lakers paraded?

I LUV MY S13
07-09-2009, 03:21 AM
No free lunch - L.A. pays $50,000 for cop lunches - LA Daily News (http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_12786871?source=rss)

Feeding the controversy over taxpayer costs for the Michael Jackson memorial, officials disclosed Wednesday that the city paid nearly $50,000 for box lunches from an upscale market 80 miles northeast of L.A. for police who worked the event.

An outraged City Controller Wendy Greuel, whose office is responsible for paying city bills, said her staff researched the expense and found that 3,500 box lunches ordered from local Subway shops in Los Angeles would have cost only about $17,500.

"There are many troubling issues that are raised by this expenditure," Greuel said in a letter to Jim Featherstone, general manager of the Emergency Services Department.

"While it appears your office followed the rules for when an emergency is declared, it does not appear your office took steps to find the lowest possible price to provide lunch for the first responders."

She added that in the current economic climate it would have been better to have the meals purchased in the city of Los Angeles. Buying within the city would also give the city local sales tax revenue.

Instead, the lunches were made at Jensen's Finest Foods in Wrightwood, a hamlet tucked high in the San Gabriel Mountain range.

The lunch costs further fueled an already angry debate over why Los Angeles, in the middle of a budget crisis, has had to pay millions of dollars in personnel costs for the private event at Staples Center.

wow...all this madness about a broke ass state and they go out and do this:wtf:

dynamicck
07-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Anyone else noticed the increase in people getting pulled over in the past few months? Everytime I drive on the freeway, I see at LEAST one or two people getting a ticket.

Phlip
07-09-2009, 07:53 AM
they should have just melted him down and recycled him into like but plugs or sumthing
I refused to give money or be involved with tuesday's molestapalooza in any way.
no offense to any fans of michael...but...fuck him, " OMG! he's the next elvis" "blah blah blah" WHO CARES!? we shud all just move on, and let him be cremated into a dildo...lol

Would it terribly pain people to SHUT THE FUCK UP if they don't care for the topic being discussed?
Fact remains that there is no proof or even presented evidence that suggests that any children were molested. I have said it time and again, yet hearsay seems to have had the man convicted and guilty as sin.
"well why did he pay up, then?" you ask?
Learn to fucking read, start right here, and see the same thing I said 2 weeks ago:
The Hutchinson Political Report: Bury the Never Ending Myth of Jackson as Child Molester (http://earlofarihutchinson.blogspot.com/2009/07/bury-never-ending-myth-of-jackson-as.html)
I am not taking Hutchinson to task because it is common fucking sense to anyone willing to approach this objectively instead of just commenting out of their ass, as is the apparent vanguard of internet posters.
If you must preface anything with "no offense to," or anything of the such, 98.999999999999% of the time, you shouldn't fucking say it.

Future240
07-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Would it terribly pain people to SHUT THE FUCK UP if they don't care for the topic being discussed?.

Of course it would. The ways of "if you don't have anything nice to say" are gone. Its now more like "give your opinion even if no one asked for it".

Even after the article where the boy admitted it didn't happen and he was pushed to sue MJ by his father the naysayers will still condemn him.

Its not just with MJ its like this everywhere, like in a pc thread someone comes in and says fuck pc get a mac, or some shit like that. People just insert their opinions into places where the respectful thing to do would be to STFU.

The man is dead, let it go.

edit perhaps yall should read this excerpt from this article phlip posted

16 years later, though, the facts remain unchanged. The charge that Jackson molested the boy was brought by the boy’s father. In interviews the boy repeatedly denied the charges. This changed only after he was administered sodium amytal, an invasive, mind altering drug that medical experts have frowned on and courts have disregarded in witness testimony.

Mi Beardo es Loco
07-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Of course it would. The ways of "if you don't have anything nice to say" are gone. Its now more like "give your opinion even if no one asked for it".

Even after the article where the boy admitted it didn't happen and he was pushed to sue MJ by his father the naysayers will still condemn him.

Its not just with MJ its like this everywhere, like in a pc thread someone comes in and says fuck pc get a mac, or some shit like that. People just insert their opinions into places where the respectful thing to do would be to STFU.

The man is dead, let it go.

edit perhaps yall should read this excerpt from this article phlip posted
you do know that that is a staged story that started in Europe. The boys name never was released and he never admitted to anything. It was a plot to repair MJ's name. Too bad WAY too many people believe anything they read....

Mi Beardo es Loco
07-09-2009, 09:48 AM
u guys hate mj we get it already.. lol
if it dont involve you, than who cares
Actually it does involve you and me because the burden is going to fall on the taxpayers. 4 million on an overhyped memorial. No offense to MJ fans or memorials but the burden of a memorial should not fall on tax payers. And now the $50,000 on lunch? The police needs to be fed but I heard on Fox this morning that if they had gone to Subway (example) they would have had twice the food for $17,000. 50k is just rediculous!

BustedS13
07-09-2009, 10:03 AM
why is this thread about MJ

it's about how california is so broke it's asking for handouts from citizens, like a bum on an exit ramp

Daniel.
07-09-2009, 10:10 AM

it's about how california is so broke it's asking for handouts from citizens, like a bum on an exit ramp

QFT

+12930810238012838123

Seriously people, this about how fiscally irresponsible the city of LA is being. NOT about MJ.

back on topic please.

I LUV MY S13
07-09-2009, 10:10 AM
Anyone else noticed the increase in people getting pulled over in the past few months? Everytime I drive on the freeway, I see at LEAST one or two people getting a ticket.

definitely noticed that....i got pulled over for a "busted tail light"..didnt say anything about my tint or exhaust..gave me a ticket for radar/laser detector and busted tail light..

i got home tail lights were perfectly fine..that detector thing is legal in cali..its the jammers that arent allowed

ronmcdon
07-09-2009, 11:37 AM

More like getting mugged by a crack-head
Bum on the exit we can always ignore.
CA is going to take their taxpayer's $$ through taxes, if donations aren't enough.
Just like a druggie, you know the $ they took won't be spent wisely.

not surprisingly, donations alone weren't even enough to pay for their super-gourmet meals shipped 80 mi away.

In the grand scheme of things, $33k might not be a lot of money per se,
but it does go to show how screwed up their budgeting & priories are.

They didn't necessarily have to go with THE CHEAPEST caterer.
They just had to go with something reasonable.
I'm sure it wouldn't have been even news-worthy, if they went with someone local (to benefit tax revenue) charging $20,000 instead of the lowest possible $17,500.

I don't like what happened, but I'm glad the media got ahold of it.
Who knows what other crap the decadent LAPD are up to at taxpayer's expense.
We'd probably be better off having gangsters collect protection fees, than have cops at all.

DALAZ_68
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
We'd probably be better off having gangsters collect protection fees, than have cops at all.

shits bad...but that statement is stupid...

Future240
07-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Actually it does involve you and me because the burden is going to fall on the taxpayers. 4 million on an overhyped memorial. No offense to MJ fans or memorials but the burden of a memorial should not fall on tax payers. And now the $50,000 on lunch? The police needs to be fed but I heard on Fox this morning that if they had gone to Subway (example) they would have had twice the food for $17,000. 50k is just rediculous!

I agree with you. I don't understand why the family didn't pay for all of this instead of having tax payers pay for it. In my eyes that is no different than someone coming to your house, grabbing your wallet and taking money out of it to help pay for a funeral in their family. Famous or not citizens should NOT be forced to pay for stuff like this.

The 50K for lunch is beyond ridiculous. What takes the cake is that the city gov didn't even bother to buy it in its own city. That was just plain stupid.

Oh and I didn't know the story was staged, thanks for the correction :bow:

ronmcdon
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
shits bad...but that statement is stupid...

it is over the top,
but I see more bad than good coming from LAPD.
for all the funds that we pay (including Villagrosa's 'trash' tax), I'm not convinced the results are worthwhile.

Bar moving out of the city, it's not like payment is optional.
Without listing every single example, let's just say that every time me or any of my friends have requested help from the police,
absolutely nothing was ever resolved (aside from having our time wasted).
I have no faith in police (and government) here in LA, and that's my personal stance.

It's like we're just paying the cops to harass us.
At least gangsters have no pretense of legitimacy.

Maybe you've had better experience with police.

silly_13
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
ugh... LA sucks now since Arnold become the governor and Villaraigosa became mayor! they didnt keep theyre promises to make LA better, what did they do? they fucked it all up!
Why dont Arnold just listen to the people and start legalizing and taxing marijuana, i mean i dont smoke weed no more but its a really good idea since alot of people smokes weed. There might be alot of alternatives to make LA better but THEY dont wanna listen to the people! the people's voice is the way to make things better, cause we know what's good for us and what we really need to make our neighborhoods safer, cleaner, and better.