PDA

View Full Version : Cops and the black kid in the red car

silforty
04-13-2003, 08:22 AM
I'm driving down the main drag to get home instead of the highway to see if i could grap a coolata or something at around 1 am. I going about 35 in a 30 and i get caught at every stoplight which are about an 1/8 of a mile apart. I get stopped at about 4 straight lights and then a cop pulls me over. He gets out, looks at my subwoofer, assumes i was blasting it and says "I should give you a ticket for sound violation too" We go through the normal crap and says i was hitting close to 50 inbetween each stoplight. This makes no sense to me because each stoplight is about an 8th of a mile apart from each other. In a stock 1990 240, wouldn't i have to absolutely floor it to get to 50 mph in an 8th of a mile. And If i was flooring it. How would he be able to hear a sound system that wasn't on? I hate bein a black kid in a red car. Damn cops

HaLo
04-13-2003, 09:15 AM
That's racial profiling. You guys have it really hard south of the border. Let's say that I can relate (my father is Turkish) but up here, it's no way near what Black people live in the USA...

I hope you didn't get any tickets.

KiDyNomiTe
04-13-2003, 10:01 AM
**** like that hasn't happened to me yet *knock on wood* but it happened to my bro a couple times but he is good at getting out of those situations.

240sxspeedracer1
04-13-2003, 11:35 AM
man, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Rhode island North.
I mean, I checked maps.yahoo.com
from where I live (NY) and it tells me to take the I95 NORTH to reach Rhode Island so I don't think it has anything to do with the old Southern hospitality deal.

ca18guy
04-13-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by silforty
I'm driving down the main drag to get home instead of the highway to see if i could grap a coolata or something at around 1 am. I going about 35 in a 30 and i get caught at every stoplight which are about an 1/8 of a mile apart. I get stopped at about 4 straight lights and then a cop pulls me over. He gets out, looks at my subwoofer, assumes i was blasting it and says "I should give you a ticket for sound violation too" We go through the normal crap and says i was hitting close to 50 inbetween each stoplight. This makes no sense to me because each stoplight is about an 8th of a mile apart from each other. In a stock 1990 240, wouldn't i have to absolutely floor it to get to 50 mph in an 8th of a mile. And If i was flooring it. How would he be able to hear a sound system that wasn't on? I hate bein a black kid in a red car. Damn cops

Did you get a ticket?

Jeff240sx
04-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by 240sxspeedracer1
man, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Rhode island North.
I mean, I checked maps.yahoo.com
from where I live (NY) and it tells me to take the I95 NORTH to reach Rhode Island so I don't think it has anything to do with the old Southern hospitality deal.

Yea, RI is north compared to a lot of places... but it's South compared to Canada, where Halo is from.
-Jeff

silforty
04-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Yea the 5.0 gave me a 125 dollar ticket to think about for the next 21 days. I"m fighting it definately. It says i was clocked, but i don't know what that means when also compared to radar and estimated. I hate cops. I wasn't racing or playing loud music or anything. I was just minding my own business trying to get home.

uiuc240
04-13-2003, 01:18 PM
sh!t dude! That sucks fat donkey nards! You should totally go to court with this. I bet he doesn't even show up. He probably pulled you over to see if you had weed on you or that you were drunk or something, then seeing nothing, he proceeded to give you a bogus ticket for "speeding". Bah. I don't get along well with the cops either. Did I tell you about the time with my window tint? Apparently that took THREE cruisers to tell me my tint was illegal (after having it for 3 years with no hassles...)

Eric

AceInHole
04-13-2003, 06:48 PM
bah... i just got a $125 ticket on the way back from the autocross today. 50 in a 35, when the speedlimit goes from 45 to 35 and back to 40 all through one turn. My ticket has "estimated/ radar" on it, and the cop was traveling the opposite direction when he supposedly "tagged" us (my friend in a stock Sentra was pulled over first, then I was pulled over after waiting for him to finish with the Sentra... should've just met my friend on the highway. real dumb on my part I guess).

I have a feeling some cops are just pricks with nothing else to do (no all cops of course).

crioten
04-13-2003, 07:23 PM
after the 4th day of owning my 240, i got 2 tickets all at once...a cop pulled over the guy in front of me, then blocked the road off so i couldnt get by and signaled me into the gas station. meanwhile i was sitting there wondering what i did wrong. he tells me that i changed lanes within an intersection and didnt use a turn signal. both were bs, ya know those little fire station signals? well those are considered intersections...and he was looking into the dusk sun and had no way of seeing my turn signals...

so i got both tickets thrown out, b/c i asked the judge if he know that the fire station lights were intersections...and it was dusk.

that was like 8 months ago and im still ****ed off lol

RedlineRacer
04-13-2003, 09:52 PM
Cops F'in pizz me off. My friend got pulled over a few weeks ago. I was in the car with him. We had just had a long night of partying and we were about to head home. My friend in his BMW, is going through an intersection that is up hill. He puts it in third to get up the hill faster, and there are two cops sitting in a parking lot to the right of us talking. They flew out of the parking lot, and chased us down. My friend had no idea what they were doing cause he was only going like 55 in a 45. And he had a radar detector. They pull us over and my friend says some dumb stuff and we were riding dirty and the cops found our **** and stuff. The whole night was f'ed up. My friend got a crap load of tickets for the stuff in his car and not a single ticket for his driving. He asked the cop how fast he was going when he clocked him, and the cop said, "I didn't have a radar". So my friend asked, "Then how did you think I was speeding?", and the cop replied, "About 65, they taught me alot on how to judge speeds without a radar." That is some major bs. My friend is getting a lawyer to fight this crap. But the lawyer is sooo expensive.

AmherstSR20DET
04-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Same ****, different area. Cops around me are major tight asses, especailly if you're driving any type of sports car (compact especially) at night.

I got pulled over 2 weeks ago at about 11:30 on a Fri. night. Cop first informs me one of my headlights was out (thank you Sherlock Holmes). I mentioned a replacement was on the way. Then he mentions that I was "going a little fast". The fastest I was going was 50 in a 45. The tried to list a whole bunch of BS thing about my car, double checks the registration, inspection and my license. Kept me there for 20 minutes while at least 3 or 4 cars (with fart cans, which I don't have) go flying by the opposite direction doing at least 65 to 70. I almost yelled at the f*ing pig! Stupid rookie cop. Ended with "Get of the road ASAP and get that headlight fixed!"

Sorry to go into that here. What happened to you sux big hairy donkey balls (just like the cop that pulled you over). Racial profiling sux too. White kids around me are worse than the black kids on average (damned suburbia).

the head
04-14-2003, 09:21 AM
a few things when it claimed speeding situations
1. if asked ; do you know how fast you were going just say what ever the speed limit is in the area if you were going a mile or to over don't worry they are not exactly sure either
2. when they say "no you were going XX miles an hour" reply with "oh" or somthing else nondescript and not acknowledging that you were traveling that speed.
3. depending on the model of radar gun used there is a 5-10% margin of error even in correctly calibrated guns
4. if it is rainy, foggy other weather involving smoke moisture or reduced visibility and the cop says he used laser he is lying laser will not work in those situations
5. Ask to see the speed on the gun! it is legal if you think he is lying than ask to see it when he pulls you over if he cannot show you the speed and still writes you the ticket fight it in most states the ticket gets thrown out because the officer could not prove to you that you were speeding

Steeles
04-14-2003, 09:41 AM

Dude was this your first profiling!?!?! I got pulled and ticketed in High School for about the same crap. only problem was my subwoofer had been stolen like two weeks before so I didnt even have speakers in my car! the judge knew me and knew that I had gotten robbed too so when it came to court he had the officer written up. I laghed the whole week over it, and the whole time I owned that car never ONCE was I pulled over in town again by any cop. (highways and other towns are a different story ;) )

LoCo
04-14-2003, 09:53 AM

Hey Hey its not just black people they target... just minorities in general... I have a black 240sx and I am latino... I was getting stopped on a daily basis... I HATE most of the cops in RI. I had 18 Tickets in the past 3 years LOL!!!!! I know it's alot (lol) and almost unbelievable I have Eric (drifterx) to verify that also.

Where were you when you were stopped? Last time I was stopped was for my exhaust and I was given a 5-Day tag. If you havent't had any tickets within the past 3-years you could actually constest it with your good driving record and just pay for court cost ($25). Rhode Island is North to most places... but it probably contains as much racial profiling as some southern states.

LoCo
04-14-2003, 10:01 AM
Yea the 5.0 gave me a 125 dollar ticket to think about for the next 21 days. I"m fighting it definately. It says i was clocked, but i don't know what that means when also compared to radar and estimated. I hate cops. I wasn't racing or playing loud music or anything. I was just minding my own business trying to get home.

DAMN!! $125?! That might have been for 2 violations... $75 each...

What did he get you on? Speeding @ what speed? anything else?
There is a place to check off if it was Radar, Estimate, or Clocked. Which one is checked?

Jeff240sx
04-14-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by the head
a few things when it claimed speeding situations
1. if asked ; do you know how fast you were going just say what ever the speed limit is in the area if you were going a mile or to over don't worry they are not exactly sure either
2. when they say "no you were going XX miles an hour" reply with "oh" or somthing else nondescript and not acknowledging that you were traveling that speed.
3. depending on the model of radar gun used there is a 5-10% margin of error even in correctly calibrated guns
4. if it is rainy, foggy other weather involving smoke moisture or reduced visibility and the cop says he used laser he is lying laser will not work in those situations
5. Ask to see the speed on the gun! it is legal if you think he is lying than ask to see it when he pulls you over if he cannot show you the speed and still writes you the ticket fight it in most states the ticket gets thrown out because the officer could not prove to you that you were speeding

A few things...
1 and 2 are cool.
3. 5-10% error is unacceptable. That is 2.5-5mph difference at 50, which means that you will ALWAYS get a ticket for going 2 mph over. The calibration is within 1mph on correctly calibrated units.
4. That's not exactly correct. Maybe in dense London fog you can say the laser won't work... but in normal fog/smog it will, or police wouldn't invest millions of dollars into LiDar guns.
5. That's a cocky thing to do, and I think you'll get seriously harassed. You don't have a right or a defence on seeing the radar gun. Cops go through a 2 week school to judge speed correctly using landmarks. Also... when following you, they can get an exact speed, and when going the opposite direction, they can use another car as the 70-75mph range (on a highway), and if you are passing that car.. they can guess and probably be correct.
I'm not a cop.. but you'll be talking yourself into a harassment or ticket here.
-Jeff

the head
04-14-2003, 12:08 PM
i have used those excuses to get out of tickets i am telling of my expierences and nothing more Jeff may not work in any other states but here i guess it does

KiDyNomiTe
04-14-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
A few things...

5. That's a cocky thing to do, and I think you'll get seriously harassed. You don't have a right or a defence on seeing the radar gun. Cops go through a 2 week school to judge speed correctly using landmarks. Also... when following you, they can get an exact speed, and when going the opposite direction, they can use another car as the 70-75mph range (on a highway), and if you are passing that car.. they can guess and probably be correct.
I'm not a cop.. but you'll be talking yourself into a harassment or ticket here.
-Jeff

If you know for sure you were not speeding then 5 would work, a few people tell me to do that, but I see your point, if I was a cop and someone did that, he would probably do the worst he could, or just show up to court. So I would only use that if I knew he was wrong, or at least over exaggerating.

sykikchimp
04-14-2003, 03:59 PM
a little advice to you guys..

BE NICE to the pig... and show remorse for what you've done.

I hear using Sir over and over is bad too.. use Officer, not sir

Also remember what Jeff said.. They have been trained to judge speed without radar. repeat WITHOUT RADAR.

In other words .. Their professional opinion of your speed is permissable evidence that you were speeding. WITHOUT RADAR.

also remember, that about 100% of the time, you lift the throttle when you see a cop. He saw you before you saw him. period. Even if he didn't, you should assume he did. You DO NOT KNOW how fast you were going the moment he shot you with radar, b/c you don't know WHEN he got you.

*WARNING* DO NOT GET OFFENDED BY THE FOLLOWING STATEMENTS. THEY ARE NOT MEANT TO OFFEND, ONLY TO QUESTION THE RELEVENCE OF RACIAL PROFILING TO THE TOPIC*

This very well may NOT be a racial profiling case.. I was pulled over all the time as a teenager just because I was a teenager running around in a city, on a "Main" street in the middle of the night. Just cause you got pulled over b/c he was suspicious of you, doesn't mean it's cause your BLACK.. Do you have tinted windows? if so, how could he be sure you were black? Red cars aren't necessarily suspicious, it's the situation.

He may have seen a younger guy driving a red sports car down a city street at 1 am, you might have jumped on the gas a little hard from one of the lights (do you have aftermarket exhaust?)

Automatically, he says.. "Little punk out terrorizing.. I'll teach him a lesson"

WHY DOES THAT MAKE IT A "BLACK THING".. ugg.,. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. But in this situation it seems it may not have even been the case.

sometimes I think many black people are way to trigger happy with claiming racial injustice, when there is no real proof that they are a victim of such an act.

logo20
04-14-2003, 05:30 PM
sometimes I think many black people are way to trigger happy with claiming racial injustice, when there is no real proof that they are a victim of such an act
I find this to be true. A lot of people draws a lot of attention with big chrome wheels, blasting sound systems, etc, and cops are always looking to bust somebody. In fact I find some black people to be prejudice, yesterday I saw a black guy-about 20-23 yrs old-drive a brand new avalanch with big spinning wheels, and a 2003 suzuki hayabusa in the back. I say "is that you're bike it's nice" he didn't even say anything to me, just nodded like if he was too good to talk to me.

misnomer
04-14-2003, 05:52 PM
For the record, I have no beef with the police out here :P

DSC
04-14-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by logo20
I find this to be true. A lot of people draws a lot of attention with big chrome wheels, blasting sound systems, etc, and cops are always looking to bust somebody. In fact I find some black people to be prejudice, yesterday I saw a black guy-about 20-23 yrs old-drive a brand new avalanch with big spinning wheels, and a 2003 suzuki hayabusa in the back. I say "is that you're bike it's nice" he didn't even say anything to me, just nodded like if he was too good to talk to me.

This has nothing to do with race. MANY people of all races try to just act "hard" "cool" "tough" etc...with people they don't know. I have no clue why they do it, but they do.
The style you described is often associated with blacks, fair enough, thats were I see it most...tho there's a white guy down the street from me with a escalade on chrome 22's *shrugs* he's in a country music band odly enough.

I bet black people are target by some cops, but I'd venture to say only 10% of the time a black person feels they've been target was actually targeted because of race...
I do think having a sporty car and being young are big factors. ALL cops tend to go after those things, race aside.

SimpleS14
04-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Being a black male may have something to do with you ticket. But one's I got were no way connected to my race....just my damn car. :p

If I were you I would appeal the ticket.

Steeles
04-14-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by DSC

I do think having a sporty car and being young are big factors. ALL cops tend to go after those things, race aside.

truest statment in this thread so far!

In fact I find some black people to be prejudice, yesterday I saw a black guy-about 20-23 yrs old-drive a brand new avalanch with big spinning wheels, and a 2003 suzuki hayabusa in the back. I say "is that you're bike it's nice" he didn't even say anything to me, just nodded like if he was too good to talk to me.

yeah the ice grill from the escalade thats just attitude, not neccesarily prejudice. he was probably thinking "I'm driving whos bike do you think it is?" heck I do it to the little ricers around here. (yes Im black) most of my white friends swear I keep one on everytime Im in a bar or club. not somethign Im TRYING to do I just am. hehe now that I think about it we need an ice grill smiley.... lol.

Phlip
04-14-2003, 10:41 PM
I have gotten a few tickets in my time, only 2 do I feel I was done wrong, and at that, only one of those do I feel it was racial... I had a 91 GMC jimmy a few years back, tinted windows and what have you, small sounds and all... I got stopped for my inspeaction and expired plates (I was going to handle that in the morning) fine cop, I'm sorry, I live 3 streets down, I'll get my other car and go where I'm going, I just didn't want to have to buy gas.
Cop: You got any drugs or weapons in the car? (NO SHIT!!!)
Me: Course not
Cop: You mind if I search the vehicle
Me: You mind if I see a search warrant, this is a traffic stop
Cop: *exercises his right to place me in the back of the car because of the tags and SEARCHES my truck ANYWAY*
What does he find? Nothing, he finds a coupla CDs that I thought had been stolen a month earlier. By far, this was my WORST traffic stop in my existence, and all because I didn't want to have to buy gas for the other car, I complained about the cop and got no where, just let it go... Ask anyone who knows me, I am not one to play the race card and it makes me mad whenever someone does, but this time, I think my mistreatment was a result of race, straight up and down. Every other time I have been stopped, it was my fault, except for once, but it was deemed that I hadn't broken any laws that time, it was pitched out.

... BTW, this was when I was like 19, before the beard and Dreadlock days...

BOOSTLOVER
04-15-2003, 12:28 AM
I think I've earned most of my tickets, 63 in a 30 and I was lucky he got me as I was coming out of a sharp curve, 80 in a 40 I was late for work and it was like 5:40am so the roads were clear except for the cop, he told me that I scared him more than he scared me, just a few days ago a unmarked silver impala got me for 60 in a 35, I guess I was too happy to get out of work.

SimpleS14
04-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by BOOSTLOVER
I think I've earned most of my tickets, 63 in a 30 and I was lucky he got me as I was coming out of a sharp curve, 80 in a 40 I was late for work and it was like 5:40am so the roads were clear except for the cop, he told me that I scared him more than he scared me, just a few days ago a unmarked silver impala got me for 60 in a 35, I guess I was too happy to get out of work.

DAMN BOOSTLOVER:eek: , its people like you that give people like me such high ass insurance rates! :mad: :p

ca18guy
04-15-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Jeff240sx
-Jeff

Actually, its ussually your right to see the radar in most states. It not a uncommon thing to ask to see it, I even had a motorcycle cop show me the clocked speed with out me asking.

KiDyNomiTe
04-15-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp

sometimes I think many black people are way to trigger happy with claiming racial injustice, when there is no real proof that they are a victim of such an act.

Some people take affirmitave action a little too far, and blame everything on the color of thier skin. At this day and age it is less common, you can usually tell if it is a racial thing, obviously if the cop is calling you racial names or something, like that one incident that had a bunch of "car enthusiast" at a parking lot, and they said that most of the white people were let off with warnings while the rest were sent to be held in prison for the night and abused and such.

The only thing that cops really look for is teenagers, but we give ourselves a bad rep anyway.

direb0y
04-18-2003, 12:33 AM
hey, i'm a black kid with a red car

i got pulled over for my stock exhaust, no ticket

yes we do need an ice grill smiley :D

Roly
04-18-2003, 07:31 PM
It's called "DWB!"

Driving
While
Black

Welcome to reality..I got hit with that crap going through South Carolina, and I'm not even black.... I'm a dark complected latino. The cop was pretty damn astonished that I spoke better english than him.

boro240
04-18-2003, 08:56 PM
yeah i dont mean to offend anybody, especially because im white, but you have no idea WHY a cop pulls you over, and you really shouldnt assume. granted there ARE cases of racial profiling out there, but it seems now-a-days people automatically assume thats the reason and get all ****ed off. in reality it could have been a multitude of things. not everyone is racist. personally, im all for affirmative action in most cases, but it often works in reverse. i had a hell of a time getting into college being a white male, they already have enough of me. but then again i shouldnt assume that that was the reason. lifes a bitch.

BOOSTLOVER
04-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by GT specR
DAMN BOOSTLOVER:eek: , its people like you that give people like me such high ass insurance rates! :mad: :p

I haven't been pulled over in my 240 yet so it's all good. :D

thirteenlashes
04-21-2003, 09:03 PM
I think cops do pull over people based on their appearance, and that includes race. I used to get picked on in my integra (only visibile mod was springs) when I was 17 all the time. Cops used to follow me and come up with bs excuses as to why they pulled me over, like I was crossing the center line and going all over the road, or I was speeding when I was going exactly the posted speed. Back then I had longer, dyed hair and dressed like a punk. And I got a ticket all but one time; and that time one of the 2 cops needed to perform the traffic stop started doing burnouts before they let me go.

Now I am 22 and still get pulled over quite a bit; probably because of the "fart can" attached to my 240. But now when I get pulled over, they just tell me to take it easy, or slow down a bit. I think its because I look older and clean cut, and most of the time I am in my work clothes...which is business casual. And I think I have been pulled over enough where its not just a coincidence.

I feel sorry for all you guys that get picked on, especially the ones where it is because of race.

S15 Powered
04-22-2003, 02:36 PM
That whole racial profiling thing is pretty ridiculous if you ask me. I've had my white a$$ pulled over countless times for no real reason by cops of all races. I don't think it has as much to do with race as with age and type of car. Cops have a vendetta against teens with nice cars, which is understandable because they're middle aged and usually drive Ford Escorts and such. I try not to make blanket statements about hating all cops, but they make it real hard sometimes.

Jim96SC2
04-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by boro240
i had a hell of a time getting into college being a white male, they already have enough of me. but then again i shouldnt assume that that was the reason. lifes a bitch.

Ohh yeah, try being a white male from a middle class family with a B+ average getting into medical school. The school by me, I **** you not, has 1/3rd of the class with the last name either Kim, Chen, Akmed, or Patel.

Affirmative action is just reverse rascism now. Whatever happened to "content of their character not the color of their skin". Ohh wait, that doesn't apply when it comes to getting into schools or scholarships.

thirteenlashes
04-23-2003, 12:56 AM
not that anyone needs really debate affirmative action on a car message board, but anyway....

I don't think its fair to say that someone who grew up in a middle-class family in the suburbs was given the same opportunities as someone who grew up in a low-class family in the ghetto. I think affirmative-action has its place and is needed. But at the same time it is almost impossible to implement on a fair basis, and race is not a fair basis to give someone an advantage; maybe strictly family income would be a better basis. Filling race quotas is unfair, and is just going to **** people off. Who wants a few guys from race XXXX who got B's and C's to get into med school when there are plenty of students with A's?

And, Jim96SC2, I have seen something very similar. One of my good friends knows that for the past few years they have only accepted a certain number of asians, and the exact same number every year. So his odds are slim, and he is pretty ****ed about it. And I fear the guys with the last names Kim, Chen, Akmed, or Patel because they get straight A's in csci, and I get B's. I just hope they can't speak English...

Jim96SC2
04-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Affirmitive action has ZERO place in modern society. People get by on their own merits and skills. Don't they provide schooling in the "ghetto"? Just because some kid doesn't study and therefore doesn't get good grades does NOT mean we should have some governmentally issued social welfare reform acts.

And F*** TITLE IX too!