PDA

View Full Version : Where is the starter grounded?

Solidus311
06-26-2009, 07:10 PM
My car won't start. I've tried swapping ecu's, cas's, eccs relays, checked all fuses/relays. It seems my ecu is not getting power. Someone told me that if a certain ground isn't grounded correctly the whole car won't work. Is there a ground that goes from the starter to the trans or something? I've got an rb swap. That probably doesn't matter though. Thanks.

Sileighty_85
06-26-2009, 07:40 PM
Starter is grounded on the engine block by being bolted down

there is a 10mm ground underneath the engines fuse box (next to the battery) make sure its not corroded.

But also make sure the engine is grounded properly Engine->Chasiss

Was the car an auto before? is so did you jump the neutral safty switch?

yukon
06-27-2009, 02:16 AM
My car won't start. I've tried swapping ecu's, cas's, eccs relays, checked all fuses/relays. It seems my ecu is not getting power. Someone told me that if a certain ground isn't grounded correctly the whole car won't work. Is there a ground that goes from the starter to the trans or something? I've got an rb swap. That probably doesn't matter though. Thanks.

sweet baby jesus. the starter gets its ground from being connected to the engine . if the interface is too rusty starter doesnt get ground. is the starter turning the engine over. if not, you are one dumb person.

Solidus311
06-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Starter is grounded on the engine block by being bolted down

there is a 10mm ground underneath the engines fuse box (next to the battery) make sure its not corroded.

But also make sure the engine is grounded properly Engine->Chasiss

Was the car an auto before? is so did you jump the neutral safty switch?
Okay thanks. The car can start without the clutch, so yes I guess the car was auto before.
sweet baby jesus. the starter gets its ground from being connected to the engine . if the interface is too rusty starter doesnt get ground. is the starter turning the engine over. if not, you are one dumb person.

Engine turns over.

driftin_sr20det
06-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Is the reason you think the ecu isn't getting power because the light isn't turning on? Perhaps might want to check the connections between the lower harness and the chassis harness to make sure its getting juice.

g6civcx
06-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Is there a ground that goes from the starter to the trans or something?

Yes, it's called the engine block. The starter is connected to the engine block. You need to ground the head to the block as well, and the block to the chassis.

If not, the starter has nowhere to ground because the the block isn't grounded to the chassis.

Solidus311
06-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Is the reason you think the ecu isn't getting power because the light isn't turning on? Perhaps might want to check the connections between the lower harness and the chassis harness to make sure its getting juice.

Light isn't on, and the eccs and ecu itself were tested with a multimeter.