PDA

View Full Version : Overheating Nightmare Plz Help KA Gurus Only Please!!

zerooath
06-26-2009, 05:59 PM
Okay so I have a 1997 240sx with a KA24DE.

I was driving my car and it was driving fine and all then out of nowhere it starts to overheat. So first thing I do is check the upper rad hose, it was warm like it should be. The lower hose was cold. So I changed the thermostat and filled it back up with coolant etc. Then it overheats again.

So I brought it to a local shop and they said the radiator was cracked. Bought a new radiator and installed it then refilled with coolant and bled the air out. The bitch overheated AGAIN.

So I have a new radiator and new thermostat and it still overheats. The water pump is working correctly to my knowledge because with the cap off the radiator you can see the coolant flowing.

Then it overheats on me again and I pull over and knock on this random guys door for some water so I could drive it back home which was only like a minute away if that. Well it just so happens that he use to own a mechanic shop and he helps me bleed the system by opening the screw and pouring water in until the bubbles come and then stop.

After he did that my car ran fine for about 2 days then it overheated AGAIN. I couldnt look around or anything so I just waited and I added more coolant to make it back home. It seems like adding more coolant helps but it still overheats at least 2 days later.

So Im guessing theres a small leak somewhere but I have no idea where it is. Also 2 of the bolts that hold the thermostat housing in are broken off like someone was tightening them down and just overtightened and the head of the bolt broke off. The other bolt is fine though. Could it be leaking from there?

But recently is where I'm lost. Its been doing this for about a week now and each time it overheats I pull over and let the car cool down for a little bit and add more coolant and its fine for another 2 days.

Well today I was leaving my girlfriends and it started overheating. I pulled over and had my mom pick me up and went back to the car and added coolant and drove it home. It did fine on the way home.

I get home and take a shower and get ready to leave and I get in my car and get about halfway down my road and it starts to overheat pretty quick. I turn around and get back in the driveway and open up the coolant overflow and there is liquid in there but it is NOT the color of coolant and steam is coming from the overflow tank as well.

How do I know if my block is cracked or what? Also when I pulled over after leaving my girlfriends I noticed coolant coming from the middle-ish of the engine. I checked the thermostat housing to see if it was leaking from there but it wasn't really. Also the lower hose had some coolant on it as well.

Any ideas? Any at all? If i cant fix the problem soon im just gonna sell the car. This is fucking ridiculous and its been effecting my daily life cuz this is the only car I have and i am not made of money.

Altered_Image
06-26-2009, 10:13 PM
take it to a shop and have a CO2 check on the rad. Sounds like a blown head gasket to me.

zerooath
06-27-2009, 12:49 AM
^There is no white smoke coming from the exhaust and when it idles its fine then about 10 minutes into the idle it starts to shoot coolant from the radiator (with the cap off) lol.

I dont have any money to put into this car anymore, how else would I know if its the headgasket?

gmember240
06-27-2009, 01:33 AM
i also say headgasket. it could possibly be heater core but i'd deff say headgasket. I used to have an eclipse and had a very similiar problem. I ran a compression test (if test is bad could show signs of bad HG) and came out perfect across the board so I ruled out the fact that it could be a HG. eventually I put in a new one and problem solved. Check for signs of oil in your coolant as that could also mean HG problem

yukon
06-27-2009, 02:10 AM
have you checked with a flashlight to see if your freeze plugs or your water pump is leaking . is their coolant in your crankcase? your reservoir could be leaking etc . check your driveway for coolant.

zerooath
06-27-2009, 02:51 AM
My heater core is bypassed. If that means anything.

Where does the water pump leak from?

zerooath
06-27-2009, 01:28 PM
If its the headgasket why would it run absolutely fine for a day or two then overheat like that?

yukon
06-27-2009, 05:15 PM
If its the headgasket why would it run absolutely fine for a day or two then overheat like that?

you are overheating when you lose a certain amount of coolant. or you are overheating always and losing fluid as it overflows and then when you have lost enough it really overheats.

it usually leaks out the hole in the bottom of the water pump or around the seal where pump connected to timing cover. it can also leak inside the timing cover and down into the oil.

my list is not exhausitive. it is obvioulsy flowing to and from your interior heater and i think it goes through part of the air intake manifold.

definitely check your oil for coolant. and your driveway.

lilrusty
06-28-2009, 05:51 PM
maybe small leak from hoses under intake manifold. but just like everyone said, check for coolant in oil or oil in coolant... to me it just sounds like a leak somewhere cuz if it was bad head gasket it'll constantly overheat. keep a constant eye out for leaks. maybe its so small of a leak that it never reaches the floor. happened to me before. good luck...

zerooath
06-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Can I just fill it with water instead of having to use coolant and let it idle to check for leaks?

Coolant is getting kinda expensive these days.

WildAsDaTaliban
06-29-2009, 03:10 AM
yes. water's fine. it keep cars cooler too.

Shadowhunter
06-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Get the dye that you can dump in your coolant system if you think it's a leak. The kit I am thinking of comes with a UV light and if indeed it is leaking you will be able to shine down the UV and see where from. Otherwise possible head gasket issue. Try turning on your heater and see if it blows cold or 'not hot' air. If that is the case head gasket replacement time.

I LUV MY S13
06-29-2009, 10:18 PM
fill it with water..jack up the front of the car..let it run...search for a leak..trace it.. fix it

zerooath
07-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Get the dye that you can dump in your coolant system if you think it's a leak. The kit I am thinking of comes with a UV light and if indeed it is leaking you will be able to shine down the UV and see where from. Otherwise possible head gasket issue. Try turning on your heater and see if it blows cold or 'not hot' air. If that is the case head gasket replacement time.

My heater is bypassed. Would this still work?

If so should I do it when the car reaches normal operating temperature?

Pacman
07-02-2009, 10:54 AM
OMG, pressure test the cooling system. See if the system holds pressure. If it drops rapidly, there is a leak. If its not external, which you would see, you have something doing on inside the engine. I'm almost positive that you blew your headgasket. Pull the head, go to Nissan and get a valve grind gasket set (all the gaskets needed for a head job), have a machine shop pressure test the head and machine it smooth. Freshen it up with new valve stem seals, install everything, bleed the system like that tech did and call it a day.

zerooath
07-02-2009, 03:52 PM
^Can I get a pressure tester at autozone?

Bigsyke
07-02-2009, 05:50 PM
^^yes, and it is leaking from your thermostat housing. 17lbs/in is enough to break the permatex ultra grey if your losing 2 bolts.

Get a new front cover.

Plus water in your cooling system will just boil inside the head, 50/50 is your friend.

Bleeding without any kind of snap on funnell usually isnt happening.

91white_ka
07-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Ok here's what I would do, check for water in the oil, do a compression test, look for water on the floor board. CHeck very well for leaks on the intake and exahust side. If nothing else i've seen a faulty radiator cap release coolant before the psi it should and thus making air bubbles causing it to over heat. Radiator cap is a cheap thing to try...hope this helps

zerooath
07-03-2009, 05:46 PM
^^yes, and it is leaking from your thermostat housing. 17lbs/in is enough to break the permatex ultra grey if your losing 2 bolts.

Get a new front cover.

Plus water in your cooling system will just boil inside the head, 50/50 is your friend.

Bleeding without any kind of snap on funnell usually isnt happening.

Thank you. I believe you are right because I saw coolant around one of the bolt areas.

How hard would a front cover be to DIY? Where can I find the parts for cheap?

91white_ka
07-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Thank you. I believe you are right because I saw coolant around one of the bolt areas.

How hard would a front cover be to DIY? Where can I find the parts for cheap?

If you want another front cover, or upper cover I have one off an s14 for cheap. And New Orleans isnt that far from you.

PS that is a job though, th oil pan has to come off.....