PDA

View Full Version : We really get the shaft on shocks...

DSC
04-11-2003, 12:44 AM
I just don't see any shocks for our car that are any good :mad:

tokico non-adj: cheap but non-adj and soft
kyb-agx: cheap for an adjustable shock and easily adjustable but still too soft.
Koni: little more expensive but OK price, can get them valved any way you want, easily adjustable fronts but you HAVE TO TAKE THE REARS OFF to ajust them!!! whats up with that. Who's going to take their rear shocks off to make them softer when it starts to rain?!
tokico adj: expensive, easily adjustable I think, about as stiff as the koni? or are they harder? Revalving available in the US?
Other shocks??? are there any other real options?

I dono, just seems like a ****ty deal for those who can't go with full coilovers but like to play with settings often.

Dave-
Venting and questioning in the same post...

pruto
04-11-2003, 02:29 AM
i have GABs, they're pretty damn stiff and have dampering adjustment (both compression and rebound)

the trick is finding a good spring/shock combination.

my prokits are too soft for my shocks. something stiffer and linear would have been better

GAB also makes super stroke (short stroke shocks) and some other nice high end shocks (very very pricy) in addition to the basic Super HP.

cheap shocks/springs (tokico blues, agx) are good for the budget and for comfort and street use. If you want anything more, I seriously suggest coilovers.

coilovers have camber adjustment, height adjustment, are often designed so they can handle being lowered more than 1.5" (My GABs are not supposed to be lowered more than 1.5"). coilovers have a hell lot higher spring rate and better dampering, more adjustability. designed so the spring/struts work together in a system. Plus, if you think about it, expensive shocks like Konis, GAB, adjustable Tokicos go for $500-700 a set, add $200-$300 springs, $300-$500 for some upper mounts, and you have something that costs about the same as lower end coilovers and you get less performance.

i hope that helps, =)

btw, don't get me wrong, i love my GABs, full stiff on them rocks, but they are hella expensive, for a little more i would have been able to get coilovers.

AKADriver
04-11-2003, 08:09 AM
Here I was loving the S13/14's huge aftermarket - coming from the S12, which doesn't even have quality stock replacements available.

Really, the dampers we have available mirror the springs we have available... there are both stiffer springs and stiffer dampers out there, especially in Japan, but it's all $$$ here. Options like Ground Control kind of throw that for a loop of course.

I don't particularly need or want height adjustability... thankfully I don't really want stiff rates, either.

Cam
04-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by pruto
i love my GABs, full stiff on them rocks

Yes, yes it does. I'm running my GABs with H&R sport springs and they're a pretty good combo. A bit expensive though, and if I knew the AGX's where actually gonna be released when they said they were, I probably would have waited.

ps - I'm the guy who gave you the cheap shot on FA last spring about buying the last set of HPs from Stillen... :)

CoasTek240
04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
yeah dave u know, everything not honda requires work. gabs prolly ur best bet from what i see. You are talking for the future S13 right?...anyways...as far as springs what happened to those rsr's are those not stiff enough either?

seems to me rsr's and gabs would make a pretty nice couple

pruto
04-11-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Cam

ps - I'm the guy who gave you the cheap shot on FA last spring about buying the last set of HPs from Stillen... :)

really? haha, yeah, there was a period of 1-2 months were all GAB stock everywhere just ran out. but it was probably best for you, their prices are INSANE, most expensive on the net! Now everyone is back to carrying them.

808rps13
04-11-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by DSC
tokico adj: expensive, easily adjustable I think, about as stiff as the koni? or are they harder? Revalving available in the US?

IIRC, tokico adjustables (aka Illuminas) aren't available in the US for our cars (S13 & S14). i picked up a set while in Japan... easily adjustable, 5 way front & rear from the top. i blew out my rear Illuminas in 2 years and now have AGX's back there. i would say the feel (dampening and rebound quality) of the AGX's is comparable to the Illuminas...

boosteds14
04-11-2003, 12:48 PM
i got an idea!!!

COILOVERS will damperner control.

hmmm, i can smell the TEIN's now.

AKADriver
04-11-2003, 01:21 PM
I can smell them too... corroding from the road salt.

95Blue240sx
04-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Koni...Who's going to take their rear shocks off to make them softer when it starts to rain?!

Mr.Migs does it everytime HAHAHA. that damn ricer!

MrMigs
04-11-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm hardcore, yo. haha
:D