PDA

View Full Version : I just got a misdemenor...Help Please!

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 12:35 AM
So, today I was leaving my house to go hang out with some friends and I was pulled over like 2 blocks away from my house. I was originally pulled over for tint, but then my dumbass remembered my license was expired.

Long story short I got a misdemenor for driving without a license. They said having an expired license is the same as having no license. The cop was cool in a way in that he didn't impound my car because I was so close to my house. My dad came and picked up my car. The ticket is 12500(a)cvc.

Does anybody have any advice for this kind of ticket? I read somewhere that if I show up to court with a valid license, the case might be dismissed? I kind of doubt that though because the ticket says non correctable.

Discuss...

jamg
06-26-2009, 12:37 AM
so is cali all it's hyped up to be?

I LUV MY S13
06-26-2009, 12:40 AM
yup case can be dismissed or cut dwn to an infraction..

kevmeistah21
06-26-2009, 12:40 AM
just renew your license a.s.a.p and go to court and show them that, doesn't hurt to try? Atleast you don't have to pay for the pound fee.

soreballz
06-26-2009, 12:43 AM
I read somewhere that if I show up to court with a valid license, the case might be dismissed? I kind of doubt that though because the ticket says non correctable.

Depends on the judge, really. I've seen people at the Fullerton traffic court walk on those tickets since they came in with a valid license.
It all comes down to the judge, really. If he/she is cool, it'll get tossed. If he/she is cranky, you're fucked.

Personally, I wouldn't stress it too much. Just renew your license, go to court, and be done with it. Good luck!

so is cali all it's hyped up to be?
Yes.

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Thanks Kyle. I'm going to the DMV tomorrow to renew my license. I'm just really thankful my car wasn't impounded.

kevmeistah21
06-26-2009, 12:58 AM
i don't get a thank your karl?

Nismoknightska-t
06-26-2009, 12:59 AM
misdemenor :keke:

CrimsonRockett
06-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Best advice I could give is, when you show up to court, look presentable.

Don't show up in shorts, demeaning shirt, and hat like I saw the time I had to go to court for my ref ticket.

That idiot got the book thrown at him...HARD.

I noticed the judge glancing over at everybody before sentencing them or whatever.

So, your appearance definitely has an impact on his/her decision.

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 01:02 AM
i don't get a thank your karl?

Spank you... ;)

Vatche
06-26-2009, 01:08 AM
judge decides what happens. correctable or not.

that correctable shit is usually so you can fix it out of court.

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Best advice I could give is, when you show up to court, look presentable.

Don't show up in shorts, demeaning shirt, and hat like I saw the time I had to go to court for my ref ticket.

That idiot got the book thrown at him...HARD.

I noticed the judge glancing over at everybody before sentencing them or whatever.

So, your appearance definitely has an impact on his/her decision.

That's good advice. I'll be sure to wear a shirt and slacks.

andisan
06-26-2009, 01:45 AM
yeah just renew youre license it happend to my mom ones, and thats all she had to show in court and just tell them you had finacial problems ;)

I think she just had to pay the court fee and thats it, But they are nicer to women in court :) then to guys :( so just go in with your license and dressed to impress will help to.

But you should be fine though

Felipe
06-26-2009, 02:00 AM
I read somewhere that if I show up to court with a valid license, the case might be dismissed? I kind of doubt that though because the ticket says non correctable.

just renew your license a.s.a.p and go to court and show them that, doesn't hurt to try?

Depends on the judge, really. I've seen people at the Fullerton traffic court walk on those tickets since they came in with a valid license.
It all comes down to the judge, really. If he/she is cool, it'll get tossed. If he/she is cranky, you're fucked.

Personally, I wouldn't stress it too much. Just renew your license, go to court, and be done with it. Good luck!

been there done that. its soo true...

i walk away paying just the court fees.

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 02:45 AM
Well this is all very reassuring. I thought I was going to have to pay $400 for a stupid ticket.

bardabe
06-26-2009, 03:09 AM
LOL I got owned like that once, just get the license renewed show up to court with a valid license pay the 10$ court fee then bring me some boba.

GSXRJJordan
06-26-2009, 03:21 AM
Yeah, as said, the "non-correctable" part just means that the cop is making sure you have to go to court for it, instead of getting it renewed and having it signed off by a Sheriff/CHP.

Renew your shit, go to court with the expectation of getting it thrown out, and enjoy the rest of your day.

Then, go to All Star Bash.

charlie321
06-26-2009, 06:16 AM
damn, that really sucks karl, you should be fine though. better chance than your flare ticket. how's that going btw?

Sonic Motor
06-26-2009, 10:21 AM
You are a dumass.
And now you will be late for work.
I doubt your boss will be happy.

dtc 360RT
06-26-2009, 10:31 AM
^^^LOL

you might wanna cut your hair too........judge might think you're a hippy.

DALAZ_68
06-26-2009, 10:38 AM
if ur liscense is expired just because u have to go to DMV and pay to renew ive gone thru it, mine expired on my 21st, i got pulled over for doing 80 on a 55, cop only put down expired license, i went to DMV got my ish renewed went to court, showed the judge my renewed license and explained i didnt know it expired on my bday and it was dismiss minus court fee i believe...

GL on it bud...if urs is expired do to court issues i dont know, but id figured the cop would have hauled ur but in right then and there if that was the case...

FaLKoN240
06-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Yep, renew license, go to court, probably pay like $100 fine and drop the misdemeanor.

cserrano86
06-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Which court are you going to?

Om1kron
06-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't say you're fucked. if you show up with the corrected license the cop should blow it over as long as your driving record doesn't have a bunch of tickets on it for you being a dickhead they judge should let you off with a fix it ticket.

They tried the same shit on me for not having my insurance info on me.

If you do get the misdemeanor it will remain on your background check for 7 years and add 2 points to your license which means your insurance will probably go up 80 dollars if not more a month.

FCDRIFT
06-26-2009, 12:55 PM
super fail sauce. this is some shit id expect from teddy haha

s14_driver
06-26-2009, 02:09 PM
yea just go get your license renewed and when you have your court date just be nice to the judge and tell him that you got it renewed and it can be dismissed

meteorite_flo
06-26-2009, 02:13 PM
I got pulled over for a suspended license before, I got my restricted license ASAP. Went to court, showed the judge my driver's license, walked out smiling because all I had to pay was $10. Similar situation here, you can get this corrected no problem.

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I had an expired proof of insurance as well. haha. So that's on my ticket too. But he put correctable on it for me since my dad brought the new insurance card over.

I got my license renewed today. Hope all goes well. I have to go to Pomona court... -_- I hate that courthouse...

cserrano86
06-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I had an expired proof of insurance as well. haha. So that's on my ticket too. But he put correctable on it for me since my dad brought the new insurance card over.

I got my license renewed today. Hope all goes well. I have to go to Pomona court... -_- I hate that courthouse...
Pomona courthouse sucks...
Damn, I seriously hope the best for you BUT I think the judge might try to make an example out of you and give you crap about being irresponsible.
Wear a tie (trust me), be polite but speak firmly, always look the judge in the eye...

karl wasabi
06-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, I really wish it was at the West Covina Courthouse.

!Zar!
06-26-2009, 03:24 PM

As long as your car was under coverage then the insurance thing isn't that big.

So that will be dropped to the $10 court fee or something.

As for the license, the judge may or may not allow you to slide with that.

Renewing it and showing that you were able to receive it would help.

But he/she might be a hater and say, "You might have it now but you didn't when you were pulled over."

Normally they will at least lower the amount you have to pay.

The only thing hurting you is that you were unlicensed and without proof of insurance at the moment.

DALAZ_68
06-26-2009, 03:46 PM

if the insurance thing is on the ticket...u just gotta bring that aswell...show it to the judge, ur good...

swayray
06-26-2009, 03:57 PM
yes make sure you have at least a liability insurance, show proof of your renewal... if you don't have any prior convictions, they'll drop that misdemeanor and turn it into an infraction... then just pay the fees....

ryster
06-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah,

Renew license, show up in suit, be very polite, and bring extra proof of responsibility like insurance.

You should be fine Karl.

FrankDukes
06-27-2009, 03:02 AM
just renew your license a.s.a.p and go to court and show them that, doesn't hurt to try? Atleast you don't have to pay for the pound fee.

True, if you have no prior incidents, then it will probably go down to a Misdemeanor.

They will ask you to plea: Quilty or not Quilty or No Contest.

NOT Q--QQQQuilty!

upsdude
06-27-2009, 03:43 AM
the "i forgot my license was expired..oh and yeah i forgot i didn't have insurance LOL" part of this whole thing is what bothers me the most.

DALAZ_68
06-27-2009, 11:58 AM
and cut ur HAIR!!!!

karl wasabi
06-27-2009, 03:26 PM
the "i forgot my license was expired..oh and yeah i forgot i didn't have insurance LOL" part of this whole thing is what bothers me the most.

I knew my license was expired. I forgot about it at the time I was pulled over. When I handed my license over to the officer, I was thinking, "OH SHIT!" in my head.

I have a valid proof of insurance, I just happened to have my old card on me instead of my new one.

and cut ur HAIR!!!!

Yeah, I really need to do that. haha. I be that's what attracted him to me in the first place.

upsdude
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
to quote the rapper Suga free: if you stay ready, you ain't got to get ready.
but yeah i imagine if you take care of the license, and come to court with up-to-date insurance info and you look presentable you should be ok.

DMaxUSA
06-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Technically, your license has to be valid when your citation was issued to have the citation just "thrown" out with a $10 fee. Since yours was expired, the judge can enforce maximum penalties on you if he wanted. You now have the burden of proving to the court that you truly "forgot" to renew your license, and that you did not have bad intentions.

Get your license renewed ASAP, go to the courthouse right after, and meet with the judge. Make sure you look presentable, and hopefully the judge will reduce your fine. Regardless of what happens, you have to accept the consequences because you were driving illegally, and you're lucky that they didnt cite you for anything worse. Do NOT lag on getting this corrected!! The faster you do all this stuff, the more the judge will believe you are on top of everything.

Good luck!!!

karl wasabi
09-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Well you guys were right. I finally showed up to court with my renewed license and proof of insurance, and the judge dismissed both counts. Sucks that the dismissal fee is now $25 instead of the $10 that is used to be.

kevmeistah21
09-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Well you guys were right. I finally showed up to court with my renewed license and proof of insurance, and the judge dismissed both counts. Sucks that the dismissal fee is now $25 instead of the $10 that is used to be.

congrats sir

DALAZ_68
09-28-2009, 04:29 PM
ohh wtf...25 now...jesus

i told you...did you atleast comb ur hair...?

GSXRJJordan
09-28-2009, 04:34 PM

Dude, I know! I had to clear a ticket I got for the mirror on my truck, and also had expired tags at the time (looooooooooooooong story, thanks for taking money out of my tax return to cover fees and never giving it to DMV, CA Franchise Tax Board), and I had the pleasure of paying $15 to the Sheriff to send some lackey outside to check my mirror, and $50 to clear those two tickets.

Sigh.

$65 could have bought me dinner and a lapdance, or a third of a grown-man-size tire. :keke:

DreamN
09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Karl, did you cut your hair? lol

SUPERSTAR
09-28-2009, 04:47 PM
So, today I was leaving my house to go hang out with some friends and I was pulled over like 2 blocks away from my house. I was originally pulled over for tint, but then my dumbass remembered my license was expired.

Long story short I got a misdemenor for driving without a license. They said having an expired license is the same as having no license. The cop was cool in a way in that he didn't impound my car because I was so close to my house. My dad came and picked up my car. The ticket is 12500(a)cvc.

Does anybody have any advice for this kind of ticket? I read somewhere that if I show up to court with a valid license, the case might be dismissed? I kind of doubt that though because the ticket says non correctable.

Discuss...

So no Jail?
No gang rape?

This system is major fail.

karl wasabi
09-28-2009, 05:15 PM
No I didn't cut my hair, and no I didn't get gang raped.

I just wore slacks and a nice shirt. I was pretty much the best dressed person there. Pomona court is soooo ghetto. lolz. Half the court needed a translator.