PDA

View Full Version : anybody an air traffic controller?

BustedS13
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
i'm thinking seriously about this career. has anybody else considered it, or is anyone actually an air traffic controller?

Matej
06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
Ah, to live the life of an air traffic controller.

http://www.themoviedb.org/image/posters/24794/Pushing-Tin_poster.jpg

j6250
06-22-2009, 10:17 AM
What are your reasons for considering this? Enlighten us with some fun facts

shade
06-22-2009, 10:24 AM
They make good money as far as I know.

BustedS13
06-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Ah, to live the life of an air traffic controller.

http://www.themoviedb.org/image/posters/24794/Pushing-Tin_poster.jpg

i said an air trafic controller, not a gay air traffic controller :(

What are your reasons for considering this? Enlighten us with some fun facts

my current job is vaguely related to the air travel industry and air traffic controllers make excellent pay.

Brian
06-22-2009, 10:31 AM
I remember this movie called AIRPLANE.

Go for it.
So cool.

BustedS13
06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I remember this movie called AIRPLANE.

Go for it.
So cool.

i wonder what it pays to tell people which zones are for loading and unloading only

EDacIouSX
06-22-2009, 10:46 AM
i hear air traffic controllers see some crazy stuff frying around up there. prory ariens

1slowS13
06-22-2009, 10:52 AM
its the highest paying job you can get without a degree.

BustedS13
06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
its the highest paying job you can get without a degree.
Nah, that's not true. I'm sure stock brokers and some salesmen would make much more. Maybe salary, though, after training

ixfxi
06-22-2009, 11:42 AM
i hear air traffic controllers see some crazy stuff frying around up there. prory ariens

http://zilvia.net/f/avatars/edaciousx.gif?dateline=1208040635

on a much, MUCH brighter note... who's the bitch in your avatar?? love those milk duds

Grenade180sx
06-22-2009, 11:58 AM
join the service and get all your training and travel for free. but its like in the top ten list of most stressful jobs.............................................. .... and suicides

BustedS13
06-24-2009, 04:07 PM
join the service and get all your training and travel for free. but its like in the top ten list of most stressful jobs.............................................. .... and suicides

you get paid training anyway
the next public announcement is the week of july 6th and i'll be applying, apparently it's like a year-long process just to get hired anyway
eeeek

tricky_ab
06-24-2009, 04:34 PM
Don't you have to take the AT-SAT? Seriously it is one of the best paying jobs without requiring a college degree.

I heard that air traffic controllers have the highest levels of stress and cancer among workers.

lewisfk
06-24-2009, 04:37 PM
civilian or military? if militARY JOIN THE AIR FORCE!! I

BustedS13
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Don't you have to take the AT-SAT? Seriously it is one of the best paying jobs without requiring a college degree.

I heard that air traffic controllers have the highest levels of stress and cancer among workers.

you take it after you apply
hope i don't get cancer brah

A&M Boy
06-24-2009, 05:41 PM
not an atc, but a pilot. If you plan on going this route please go into 100%. Last thing I need is a some idiot flying into me or me into him. Also depending on what type of airspace(B,C or D) your work load will vary. I work at an airport fueling planes all day and the controllers will come watch tv or shoot the shit with us on their breaks and they're pretty cool folks.

unlegendary
06-24-2009, 06:04 PM
the news media won't tell you how many people die at landing zones :p.

spoolandslide
06-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Somewhere I heard that being an Air Traffic Controller was like one of the most (if not the most) stressful jobs you could get.

If you do choose to do this, just don't kill yourself man, because sometimes you say funny things

Matej
06-24-2009, 08:42 PM
you take it after you apply
hope i don't get cancer brah
Hope they don't make you go to church.

Bubbles
06-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Don't church me brah.

flip3d
06-24-2009, 09:45 PM
peptic ulcers sound painful.

BustedS13
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Hope they don't make you go to church.

yeah. they wanted church every sunday where i'd take snapz, and the pay advertised was fakin'
churches be scammin'. might as well push some tin or whatevur

BustedS13
08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
update:

08/13/2009 03:17:51 PM (Central Time): You have been authorized to take the AT-SAT test for announcement AAC-AMH-09-PUBNAT8-12162. You will be contacted within a few weeks to schedule the test. If you have questions about the process, please call Aviation Careers Division at 405-954-4657.

they're saying the testing will be scheduled for October. guess i have an excuse to go to Chicago

winter
08-14-2009, 09:06 AM
how much we talking here?

Silverbullet
08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
:angel:OnNah, that's not true. I'm sure stock brokers and some salesmen would make much more. Maybe salary, though, after training

Key word is "SOME". On just about all articles about highest paid jobs w/out a degree, air traffic controller is the highest. Salaries vary, but they are always well over 60k a year on avg.

BustedS13
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
how much we talking here?

here's a pay description.
2009 ATC Pay Bands / Locality Rates / Facility Levels - Jetcareers (http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/79854-2009-atc-pay-bands-locality-rates-facility-levels.html)

i believe base pay including training in OKC is 33.7k, and it goes up from there. if i were to be hired on for tower in STL, i'd start at something like 42k and work up from there.

heavenboundkevin
08-14-2009, 09:20 PM
i fly, and the constant situational awareness you need to have is daunting. holy crap, when im up radio 1 or 2 listening to about 5 different aircraft trying to get clearances to fly this direction, or land here, i couldnt imagine the headache the Air traffic controller on the other end is getting.

you do realize you have peoples lives in your hands right? if theres a couple different aircraft flying through clouds, cant see litereally 1 foot outside the cockpit, and you make a wrong judgement, and tell 2 aircraft to stay at the same altitude, youre the one risking the head on collision. (sorry for run on sentence)

although, i know a coulple different guys with about 3000 flight hrs each, and they never said they had a dumb ass air traffic controller, so it must not be too crazy.

good luck though..

driftking561
08-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Im an Air Traffic Controller for the United States Marine Corps. Its not that hard however, with the massive amounts of aircrafts that come in and out my airspace require constant studying. It requires a lot of coordination as there is at least 5 different things goin on at 1 time. The FAA isnt really hiring right now anyway

BustedS13
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
BAMP

finally took the AT-SAT this morning in Indy, just got back
i feel i did pretty good, i'll probably get my score on monday.
also my acura gets remarkable fuel economy at triple digit cruise speeds

DreamN
11-07-2009, 12:16 AM
yay! glad to hear. I've thought about this as a career choice a few times, but never really did much research on it.

doogstein
11-07-2009, 12:13 PM
i took the prelim test i dont know if it was the AT-SAT or what but i got an 87% on the entire test but never pursued it any further. Test was pretty difficult in some parts of it. i remember doin the ATC simulator test and i ended up crashing like 7-8 planes total over all the different scenarios. LOL had people dying left and right. I'm not good enough with extremely stressful situations to pursue this career so i decided to find a different route. GL though bro your in for a long process.

SimpleS14
11-07-2009, 12:15 PM
I wish you good luck. As spoolandslide already mentioned, this is one of the most stressful jobs out there.

BustedS13
11-07-2009, 01:07 PM
i took the prelim test i dont know if it was the AT-SAT or what but i got an 87% on the entire test but never pursued it any further. Test was pretty difficult in some parts of it. i remember doin the ATC simulator test and i ended up crashing like 7-8 planes total over all the different scenarios. LOL had people dying left and right. I'm not good enough with extremely stressful situations to pursue this career so i decided to find a different route. GL though bro your in for a long process.

yeah i crashed three >.<
but i'm reading on an ATC forum that some guy crashed ten and still got a hundred. apparently the math, dials, and angles are the most weighted parts, and the rest is used to scare off applicants. it worked, too.. two people up and left during the test.

doogstein
11-07-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah i crashed three >.<
but i'm reading on an ATC forum that some guy crashed ten and still got a hundred. apparently the math, dials, and angles are the most weighted parts, and the rest is used to scare off applicants. it worked, too.. two people up and left during the test.

LOL no one left during my test but thats pretty funny. I did good on the math and angles part i kno i pretty much aced those two it was the dials that threw me through a loop and prob got me the 87. Dials def took some getting used to in reading them EXACTLY how you see them.

BustedS13
11-07-2009, 01:50 PM
i felt really good about dials, math, and angles... i guessed on two or three total between angles and math. then the letter factory showed up and everything was cool except the questions... felt good about scan, then scenarios i crashed a few planes. analogies was hit and miss, and then the last section was like any job application i've ever done. barf.

sb253
11-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I wish you good luck. As spoolandslide already mentioned, this is one of the most stressful jobs out there.

ya Ive heard that too, but my Dad is retired FAA, was a controller my whole life and still works ground control at a major airport when he's not out golfing. Most laid back, chill person I know

ericcastro
11-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Just saw this thread.
guess you decide to go with it?

Nah, that's not true. I'm sure stock brokers and some salesmen would make much more. Maybe salary, though, after training
i work in the film indusrty.
i dont even have a GED.
people in this biz make shitloads and hardley ever go to school.

so just dont do it in seattle

im sure you've read all these.
While taxiing at LaGuardia the crew of a US Air flight departing for Ft. Lauderdale made a wrong turn and came nose to nose with a United 727.
The irate female ground controller lashed out at the US Air crew, screaming: "US Air 2771, where are you going? I told you to turn right onto Charlie taxiway! You turned right on Delta! Stop right there. I know it's difficult for you to tell the difference between C's and D's, but get it right!"
Continuing her tirade to the embarrassed crew, she was now shouting hysterically: "God, you've screwed everything up! It'll take forever to sort this out! You stay right there and don't move till I tell you to! You can expect progressive taxi instructions in about half an hour and I want you to go exactly where I tell you, when I tell you, and how I tell you! You got that, US Air 2771?"
"Yes ma'am," the humbled crew responded.
Naturally the ground control frequency went terribly silent after the verbal bashing of US Air 2771. Nobody wanted to engage the irate ground controller in her current state. Tension in every cockpit at LGA was running high.
Then an unknown pilot broke the silence and asked, "Wasn't I married to you once?"

The controller working a busy pattern told the 727 on downwind to make a three-sixty--do a complete circle, a move normally used to provide spacing between aircraft. The pilot of the 727 complained, "Don't you know it costs us two thousand dollars to make even a one-eighty in this airplane?"
Without missing a beat the controller replied, "Roger, give me four thousand dollars' worth."

A DC-10 had an exceedingly long rollout after landing with his approach speed a little high. San Jose Tower: "American 751 heavy, turn right at the end of the runway, if able. If not able, take the Guadalupe exit off Highway 101 and make a right at the light to return to the airport."

It was a really nice day, right about dusk, and a Piper Malibu was being vectored into a long line of airliners in order to land at Kansas City. KC Approach: "Malibu three-two Charlie, you're following a 727, one o'clock and three miles."
Three-two Charlie: "We've got him. We'll follow him."
KC Approach: "Delta 105, your traffic to follow is a Malibu, eleven o'clock and three miles. Do you have that traffic?"
Delta 105 (in a thick southern drawl, after a long pause): "Well...I've got something down there. Can't quite tell if it's a Malibu or a Chevelle."

Unknown aircraft: "I'm f...ing bored!" Air Traffic Control: "Last aircraft transmitting, identify yourself immediately!"
Unknown aircraft: "I said I wa! s f...ing bored, not f...ing stupid!"

Tower: "Eastern 702, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on 124.7." Eastern 702: "Tower, Eastern 702 switching to Departure. By the way, after we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway." Tower: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on 124.7. Did you copy that report from Eastern?"
Continental 635: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, roger; and yes, we copied Eastern and we've already notified our caterers."

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign "Speedbird 206":
Speedbird 206: "Top of the morning, Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of the active runway."
Ground: "Guten Morgen. You vill taxi to your gate."
The big British Airways 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"
Speedbird 206: "Stand by a moment, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."
Ground (with arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, haff you never flown to Frankfurt before?"
Speedbird 206 (coolly): Yes, I have, actually, in 1944. In another type of Boeing, but just to drop something off. I didn't stop."

O'Hare Approach Control: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, eastbound."! United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this...I've got that Fokker in sight."

A Pan Am 727 flight engineer waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following: Lufthansa (in German): Ground, what is our start clearance time?" Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the bloody war!"

s0fa king
11-07-2009, 07:36 PM
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u115/sofakingfaabu/TACP.jpg

:)

Genovese.Jr
11-07-2009, 08:50 PM

i herd the starting pay is 80 k but most make like 120k

BustedS13
11-08-2009, 02:32 AM
for what, atc?
god, i can't wait to hear back about my grade.
i'll fucking work ANYWHERE. alaska needs dudes? shit, i'll work ANYWHERE for two years to learn the ropes. i don't give a FUCK.
if i were to start where i WANT, stl tower.. like 98k salary.
i'm pretty hammered right now. but honestly.. the only thing i REALLY care about is beating my friend Mark. he has a government job, thanks to his dad, and makes 65k a year. if i could land a job at Lambert tower.. oh fuck. i'd shit all over his pay. it'd feel so good. and in the end.. that's all that matters.

ESmorz
11-08-2009, 02:40 AM
If you do get it, can I sleep on your couch?

BustedS13
11-08-2009, 02:51 AM
edit: removed beer-induced retardation

BustedS13
11-09-2009, 02:35 PM
11/09/2009 03:22:23 PM (Central Time): An

AT-SAT score of 70 or above is necessary for passing. Your score was 96.3. Eligible applicants are categorized as "well qualified" or "qualified" based on AT-SAT scores.

Epic Oneliner (http://www.epiconeliner.com)

YEEEAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

YoungGun
11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Congrats man!

BustedS13
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
thanks guy

ESmorz
11-09-2009, 08:32 PM
http://www.balloonsshop.com/products/317/300_congratulations%20engagement.jpg

BustedS13
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
http://www.parties4kids.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/HSW1THK2452.jpg

thoughtful you are

duffman1278
11-09-2009, 09:47 PM
Congrats but 100k to guide planes?!

DreamN
11-09-2009, 09:54 PM
The pay depends where you work at. Starting is around 60k.

BustedS13
11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
well, like 37k-ish including per diem during FAA academy, 37k during on-site training, then up and up.

edit: just did the math. based on the 2011 pay scales... if i'm a certified ATC by 2011, my annual salary at St. Louis tower (Lambert int'l, where i want to work) would be $82,869.58 minimum. the pay scales raise every year, blah blah blah.

ZilviaKid
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM
fuckk

thatss sweet money dood

congrats

ESmorz
11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
I need to take this test.

doogstein
11-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow you did incredible on the test congrats man. I'm contemplating maybe takin this back up again cuz my future aint so bright right now and i need a fuckin plan.

BustedS13
11-10-2009, 05:15 PM
PUBNAT 9 should be in january some time if you guys seriously want to apply

usajdm
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Thats great.
Congrats on a fantastic score.
I work at the Oakland airport in Ca.
I work for SWA at night terminating aircrafts, so Im always talking to tower.
I'll admit, we give them so much shit.
Serious work though.
Got to figure, your the last one a crew talks to during a disaster.
Possibly the last person theyll speak to before crashing
These always trip me out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EHPxeRWzRI
Like 97% of aircraft accident situations are runway incursions, usually caused by miscommunication between crew and tower.
Congrats though, and if you end up doing training or working at the OAK make sure to hit me up.