PDA

View Full Version : Need help wiring up cruise control on my 7-95 240SX SE

Lxtasy
06-18-2009, 07:05 PM
I bought this car about 2 weeks ago and it has an aftermarket steering wheel on it, so with that being said the cruise control function isnt hooked up.

I pulled the pod off of the wheel, tore apart the clock spring thing to get to the wiring.I thought it was going to be plug and play with very little wiring but it doesnt look that way.

I traced all the wires on the spiral tape and lead them to the right spot, but the red with silver stripe seems to be the horn button.How can it go to the horn if it goes to the cruise control pod?

Here is a pic of what I have so if anyone could tell me what wire goes where I would greatly appreciate it, I kinda want to have my cruise control back since I will be doing alot of highway driving.

The yellow plug goes down by the steering column, it has a red/silver, blue/silver,yellow/silver, black/silver and an off white silver wire to it.The black plug that was up by the steering wheel has a red/black, yellow/silver and a blue/silver wire coming from it.

Thanks,
Chris

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm201/Lxtacy/240sxplugs.jpg

projectRDM
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
White and black are airbag. The other three go together. Red wire with a ring goes to ground.

The horn shares a circuit with the cruise.

Lxtasy
06-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks man.I was kinda ify about the red wire also going with the horn so thats why I ask.I am going to wire it up tomorrow and see what happens.Now I am going to have to find a place to mount the buttons.
Thanks,
Chris

jr_ss
06-18-2009, 07:41 PM
http://importnut.net/240pics/steering/cruisefordummies.jpg

and link to the swap with CC hook up and diagram... everything you need to know...

*HERE* (http://importnut.net/steeringswap.htm)

jr_ss
06-18-2009, 07:44 PM
I just completed this on my car... Get 1N4148 diodes and SPST momentary buttons from radio shack...

Lxtasy
06-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Dude that is what I am going to do, that looks sweet.Thanks. But I really dont know where all these green wires are coming from, mine are red, yellow and blue for some reason.
Thanks,
Chris

Lxtasy
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok, I think I have it figured out.I found a site that has all the wiring diagrams listed so I just printed it out and went off of it.I know for a fact that the red wire goes to the horn and all of the buttons I am gonna be using, its just the blue and yellow that threw me off.Even the diagrams I was looking at stated all green wires and no mention of blue or yellow.Man this car must be like some total bastard child,lol.
Thanks,
Chris

jr_ss
06-18-2009, 09:07 PM
The green wires are farther back in the harness, located under your ignition switch. This is what the wires under your ignition switch actually turn into when they enter the steering wheel. The blue wire is the green/yellow, yellow wire is the green/orange and the red is the green/white...

Lxtasy
06-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Man these wiring schematics suck.I am so used to if a wire is blue it stays blue until it meets its function,lol. This is my first import so I have alot of learning to do.
Thanks,
Chris

Lxtasy
06-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Got it wired up today, just hope I put the diodes in the right direction.Didnt get a chance to take it out for a ride but I will tomorrow or Sunday for sure.Thanks to everyone that helped me.
Thanks,
Chris

jr_ss
06-20-2009, 02:37 PM
The little black bands should be on closer to the outside switches... Think of it as a one way checkvalve

Lxtasy
06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Ok I looked and the solid black band is facing to the inside switch and the smaller bands are facing towards the outside switches, does that sound right? The switches I got were in a 2 pack of red and black, I bought 2 packs and used one red switch for the "cancel" button.Just to be different I guess.
Thanks,
Chris

jr_ss
06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
In the picture above, on the diodes drawn in, there are 2 unshaded spots, those represent the black lines. You may have a flow direction arrow on yours, it looks like an arrow with a shaded in head and a line running perpendicular through it.

Lxtasy
06-20-2009, 10:22 PM
If there is an arrow I cant read that small shit,lol.The paper that they came in had one side in red and the other in white.I guess that meant + and -, the solid band is on the "red" side of the paper and thats the side with the solid band is at the very end of it.So I guess I have them wired in wrong then.No biggie though, I can unsolder them and put new ones in again if they are wrong.

jr_ss
06-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Well test it out, if it works, awesome. What should happen if they are installed wrong, is your cancel button won't work.