PDA

View Full Version : Six Flags Files for Chapter 11

S14DB
06-13-2009, 11:32 PM
By MIKE SPECTOR

Six Flags Inc., one of the largest regional amusement-park companies, filed for bankruptcy protection Saturday.

The theme-park company, shouldering more than $2 billion in debt, had been negotiating with lenders, selling parks and laying off staff in a race to restructure outside of bankruptcy court. But it couldn't outrun the deteriorating economy and a looming $288 million payment due preferred shareholders this August, along with $31 million in unpaid dividends.

Six Flags hopes to exit bankruptcy quickly through a prearranged reorganization plan. It struck a deal with senior secured lenders that would allow it convert $1.8 billion in debt to equity.

The plan was backed by J.P. Morgan Chase & Co., the agent for the facility, and a steering committee of lenders, according to court documents. The support represents half the facility's obligations, the company said. The plan would also wipe out more than $300 million in preferred stock obligations.

Six Flags listed assets of $3 billion and liabilities of $3.4 billion, including $2.4 billion in debt at the end of March. Among its largest unsecured creditors were HSBC Bank USA with $400 million in bond debt and Bank of New York Mellon, holding more than $500 million in the company's debt.

The filing marked another highly-leveraged company falling victim to the deep recession. Six Flags' 20 parks dot North America, with operations in Chicago, San Antonio and Mexico City. Revenue in the first quarter fell 24% and the company delayed certain debt payments. Several of the park company's subsidiaries also filed for protection from creditors.

The Chapter 11 filing is a setback for investor Daniel Snyder, the Washington Redskins football team owner who took control of the theme-park company in a contentious proxy fight in 2005 and installed his own management team. The bankruptcy would likely wipe out Mr. Snyder's 6% stake.

In the midst of his battle to wrest control of the company, Mr. Snyder wrote a letter to Six Flags stockholders saying they "would have been better off hiding their money under a mattress" than investing in the company under its prior management.

"The current management team inherited a $2.4 billion debt load that cannot be sustained, particularly in these challenging financial markets," said Mark Shapiro, Six Flags' chief executive, in a statement. He said operations of the company's parks would be unaffected by the filing and that Chapter 11 protection was sought solely to "clean up the balance sheet."

Also losing out on Six Flags' financial rollercoaster: Microsoft Corp. founder Bill Gates, whose Cascade Investment LLC owned about 10.2 million shares, or an 11% stake. Other big equity holders include Dwight Schar, a Six Flags board member and part-owner of the Redskins alongside Mr. Snyder with a 5% stake; Citigroup Inc. with 9%; Barclays PLC with 6.7%; and hedge fund Renaissance Technologies LLC with 5.5%.

Six Flags warned earlier this year it could file for bankruptcy if it failed to reap concessions from lenders. Since April, it had been in discussions with lenders about a debt-for-equity swap, but failed to get enough takers.

A deadline for debt holders to swap certain notes for equity expired Friday night. Six Flags had extended that deadline by more than two weeks after falling well short of a 95% targeted acceptance rate.

Mr. Snyder's team, led by Mr. Shapiro, a former ESPN executive, had made some progress of late. Six Flags sold 10 parks and laid off about 300 workers. It tried to make its parks more family friendly, banning smoking in most areas.

Last year, Six Flags brought in more cash than it spent for the first time. Its losses narrowed in 2008 to $112.9 million, about half those of a year earlier. Sales nudge 5% higher to about $1.02 billion.

But last summer's record fuel prices, plunging consumer confidence and deteriorating credit markets weighed on Six Flags' balance sheet. The company lost even more money when the recent swine flu outbreak forced a temporary closure of its park in Mexico City.

A few months ago, Six Flags hired law firm Paul Hastings Janofsky & Walker LLP to prepare for a bankruptcy filing. It also hired Houlihan Lokey Howard & Zukin to negotiate with creditors.

Six Flags Files for Chapter 11 - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124489639859012503.html)

BustedS13
06-13-2009, 11:43 PM
god dammit. i hope they don't close our park. fuckin' love me some Screaming Eagle, Batman, Ninja, The Boss... great coaster park.

ZenkiKid
06-13-2009, 11:49 PM
News aint new to me, about 2 years back they were trying to sell the Socal 6 flags to anheuser bush, since they own bush gardens and I think Sea World? but they turned it down, last I heard was that realty companies wanted to buy the land but i guess that didnt go through and 6 flags is still standing.

jamg
06-14-2009, 12:10 AM
damn!

six flags over georgia...havn't been there since...i was 6 years old.

FaLKoN240
06-14-2009, 12:58 AM
I gotta get my free tickets used up soon LOL, who knows if they'll be closing Magic Mountain!

ALTRNTV
06-14-2009, 01:08 AM
I doubt they'll close Magic Mountain, as they just opened up a brand new coaster last
month. I love Six Flags, I use to go all the time back in high school when I had nothing
better to do.

Funnel cakes FTW.

BustedS13
06-14-2009, 01:13 AM
the best thing to eat at six flags... turkey leg. fucking awesome. i haven't had one in years though, i wonder if they still have them.

BustedS13
06-14-2009, 01:15 AM
-DEXFsbqxVM

eat that leg you fucking canadian

BTP
06-14-2009, 01:28 AM
six flags FAILS

DALAZ_68
06-14-2009, 05:17 AM
sounds like i needa take someone to sixflags asap

az_240
06-14-2009, 06:44 AM
six flags FAILS

You poor pathetic soul.

Goliath was my favorite.

iROYAL
06-14-2009, 09:28 AM
I doubt they'll close Magic Mountain, as they just opened up a brand new coaster last
month. I love Six Flags, I use to go all the time back in high school when I had nothing
better to do.

Funnel cakes FTW.

Are you talking about Magic mountain or Knotts Berry Farm?

and strawberry Funnel cakes are bomb

That would suck if the one in So Cal is closing, they were just having that sale, buy 1 day get the whole year free. So eventually when you come back they're closed down. lol

SimpleS14
06-14-2009, 10:00 AM
I was never a fan of Six Flags, I was surprised the one in MD was still open.

Kings Dominion FTW :keke:

ALTRNTV
06-14-2009, 11:24 AM
Are you talking about Magic mountain or Knotts Berry Farm?

and strawberry Funnel cakes are bomb

That would suck if the one in So Cal is closing, they were just having that sale, buy 1 day get the whole year free. So eventually when you come back they're closed down. lol
Magic Mountain. They just opened up Terminator: Salvation, last month.

bigOdom1
06-14-2009, 11:43 AM
buy stock in six flags , it was at .26 per share.

CrimsonRockett
06-14-2009, 11:59 AM
I got Season Passes for the girlfriend and myself less than a month ago.

Also paid the extra $50 for Season Pass parking.

We've gone 3 times in the past 3 weeks.

I hope they don't close it.

X2, Terminator Salvation and Tatsu are my three favorite coasters right now.

We were actually going to go again today, but decided to go sometime during the week since that's when it's least packed.

I hate having to wait over 2 hours for a ride that only lasts a few seconds.

We went on Wednesday last week.

Every ride was only about a 10-15 minute wait.

Fuck yeah.

thisisastickup
06-14-2009, 12:21 PM
as soon as i get paid on the 30th, i'm buying a season pass. great america is a fuckin blast, only like 25 minutes from where i work, too. out of work at 12:30 on friday, straight to six flags = win.

blasting_speed
06-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Damn, i can't believe this. I've been going to Six Flags since who knows when. Even though it sometimes take 4 hours to get on a ride..... I'm gonna miss it.

ronmcdon
06-14-2009, 01:09 PM
they're just filing for bankruptcy.
they're not liquidating their assets yet.
even if the company goes down,
the amusement park could be sold to another party & be functional.

personally i see the park has good business potential.
few are going to be immune to the effects of the economy.
ch.11 might help the company restructure and get out of costly contracts.
it's not the end.

Six Flags is a decent company.
unlike other amusement parks, they actually build new expensive & fun rides often.
it's not perfect, but it seems like it's the best.
it's also the only one built for adults for a change.

S14DB
06-14-2009, 03:58 PM
They are really just fucking over their investors. Welcome to mismanagement in the bailout era.

undesiredshoe
06-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Maybe if they didnt charge $3 for a 20oz soda, people would actually buy them.

94cc0rd
06-14-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm going tomorrow!!!

Can't wait... I've been there 3 times since X has opened and haven't been on it once.

Tatsu is my favorite so far.

ryguy
06-14-2009, 11:48 PM
It said day to day operations wouldnt change, so cross your fingers.

I had season passes for Six Flags when I was 16 and 17 years old. I must have gone at least 20 times in those two seasons, and now I'm so sick of the place. Truf on the sodas though, there's no way the supply and demand curves meet at three fucking fifty for a bottle of coke.

Sl3KA
06-15-2009, 01:39 AM
I haven't been to Magic Mountain in years... I gotta go before I move to Hawaii, and when I come back it better still be here!

DALAZ_68
06-15-2009, 10:14 AM
Maybe if they didnt charge $3 for a 20oz soda, people would actually buy them.

thats why you sneak you drinks in...lol

seriously though six flags was always the one trip everyone from my Elementary school woudl want to go to...shit was epic...

damn last time i went they barely released X...fuckin a while ago aye...jeenkies...

there funnel cake owns...

Flicktitty
06-15-2009, 10:24 AM
i haven't been too 6 flags in years....maybe i'll go this summer.

s13skank
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Stupid! this sucks that place rocks who doesnt wanna see those commercials with that creepy ass old guy dancing around young helpless teens