View Full Version : Sticky Clutch

tire_machine
06-13-2009, 11:14 AM
My clutch has been dysfunctional during the past couple weeks, and now it's getting to the point where I can't drive my car.

My master cylinder has been leaking forever, so I replaced that last week as well as the slave with an OEM replacement. The system was bled properly. My transmission either needs a throw out bearing or input shaft bearing replacement due to transmission noise, but I haven't fully diagnosed the problem yet.

Before I replaced the master and slave cylinder, I noticed my engagement point was getting higher, so I made an adjustment to the clutch to lower it. After replacing my master and slave cylinder, the engagement point was on the floor. I could shift gears, but I felt like I was barely making it in even with my foot on the floor. I pulled over after driving around the city and made an adjustment. I drove it down the highway to work, and parked my car. On the way home from work, after getting off the highway, my engagement point went up to the point where I needed to pull over again and lower my clutch engagement. I made only a small adjustment (2-4 threads), and drove it back home. Getting into my car today, it wouldn't even go in gear the engagement point was so low.

When I make an adjustment to my clutch, is it supposed to be immediate? Also, the engagement point seems to change after getting off the highway, could my issue be heat related?

I'd like advice before I start the tear down.

waynehead05
06-13-2009, 02:16 PM
My clutch is doing some type weird issue like that too. After it heats up the engagement point goes to the top and it slips in stop and go traffic.

I bought the motor off a buddy of mine. I've put maybe 600 miles on it?
Spec Stage 3 Clutch (Less than 1000 miles on this)
Fidanza 10lb Flywheel (Less than 1000 miles on this)

93nismo
06-13-2009, 02:20 PM
My transmission either needs a throw out bearing or input shaft bearing replacement due to transmission noise, but I haven't fully diagnosed the problem yet.

what nopise does it make? im haveing a problem similar to yours

HPKMotorsports3
06-13-2009, 02:22 PM
i see where you said you bled it properly but maybe u didnt... try bleeding her again...

tire_machine
06-13-2009, 03:21 PM
I am going to bleed it again tomorrow morning.

The noise is a low growling noise when the clutch is let out.

Also, my clutch isn't slipping.

waynehead05
06-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Mine sounds like a dog box.

93nismo
06-14-2009, 10:09 AM
that's kinda like mine is, mine goes away when the clutch pedals to the ground. but my release is super high... my whole cars just ghetto. ive got a clutch for it tho, i just need a flywheel

Solidus311
06-14-2009, 10:22 AM
Mine sounds like a dog box.

rb25det, s13 chassis

While we are all complaining about our transmissions, mine makes a weird high pitch chatter type noise when starting off in first or going in reverse. Throw out bearing maybe? Also my trans now sounds like a dog box after installing solid mounts.

Could I of f'ed something up lifting the motor up on the cherry picker to get the mounts in and out? I would swap the stock mounts back in to see if the noise goes away but I'm too lazy. Anyone else experience this with solid mounts. They are cheap ebay mounts that are polyurethane with what looks like metal in the center.

waynehead05
06-14-2009, 09:00 PM
When I put 2 more quarts of 75w - 90 in the shifter hole, the squealing went away. I guess I'll see if maybe heat was the only issue.

tire_machine
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
**UPDATE**

I am experiencing a problem where I set the engagement point, I drive around for maybe 10 minutes, and then it starts to rise to the point where I have to lower it again. I don't think it is a heating issue anymore.

Also, when I let the clutch out, I hear a squeaking or clicking noise from the cylinder. I am going to check my fluids on my break, but what could that be a symptom of?

tire_machine
06-18-2009, 09:24 AM
OK

I am pretty sure this is a overheating issue. I drove the car last night for a short period of time, and it was fine, better than fine (because I just replaced the master & slave). But I bet if I drove it down the highway for a length of time, the clutch engagement point would start to creep up again!

Something is sticking, a bearing? I am out of ideas

tire_machine
07-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Wahh...OK update.

Replaced tranny with a rebuilt KADE (~4000 km)
Replaced my clutch/TOB/pilot bushing with an Exedy replacement.
My clutch line from my slave was holding pressure, so I replaced that with an OEM one.
Bought some Redlint MT-90 75W-90 GL4

Drove the car to work today down the highway, engagement point STILL moves up! But MUCH less than before. I didn't adjust my clutch, I wanted to drive with it with the previous settings and see what needed to be changed. I am showing at least 5 threads on my adjustment rod (does this have another name?), should I keep moving the rod in more (shorter travel for cylinder)?????

I am about to take the car on a 300 km round trip this weekend...

EDIT: I've bled the system a bunch of times now, I don't think there is air in there...

T_wei
07-23-2009, 04:07 PM
when theres air in your clutch plus a warm day the air expands and your clutch sticks

bleed it out.