PDA

View Full Version : painting s13 dash

kaking
06-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Not sure if this should be tech or chat, but here it goes. I want to paint my dash, door panels, and trim panels purple but i need some advice. I did a lil reseach and they say the easiest way is to use vinyl paint for plastic. But i cant find any company that sales purple, only black,blue, orange, yellow, and red. So is there another way like sanding primer and using regular spray paint? Has anyone actually painted there dash and had good results using colors besides for black?

If you have could you give some tips/instructions on what you did and your results...pics would be nice to. THANKS

godsmack
06-12-2009, 12:19 AM
i think that the reason for the vinyl paint is to prevent stress cracks in the paint. regular paint is going to chip since the plastic is flimsy and moves around a little bit. i'm not a guru but that's just what i'm assuming will happen.

DreamN
06-12-2009, 12:21 AM
Don't paint it. Flock it! LoL

hacknik
06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I painted mine not too long ago.

Try using vinyl paint, apply a good amount of coats (allow it to sit and dry for atleast 30mins after every coat) then apply primer, and try spraying it with reg. spray paint for the color that your looking for. Maybe add a clear coat or something of the sort for protection I guess? Either that, or bring your dash to a professional place to have it doneskiis:snoop:

Souljahzs13
06-12-2009, 12:47 PM
You are out of luck if you want purple colored interior. Paint will come off over time even if you use the plastic/vinyl spray paint, I have done it through trial and error... best way to do it is to use a special dye, but even then they dont offer it in purple

fromxtor
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Flock it, but if you insist on painting it use krylon fusion plastic paint.

kaking
06-12-2009, 05:46 PM
yeah i read up on the paint and dye and either offer purple. what is FLOCKING???

DreamN
06-12-2009, 05:47 PM
http://zilvia.net/f/premium-members/258508-give-me-your-tired-your-weak-your-cracked-dashboards.html

DALAZ_68
06-12-2009, 05:54 PM
last i checked...and mind you, this was back in kindergarden days but... red+blue= purple...