PDA

View Full Version : Some suspension options, help?

blatch
04-07-2003, 01:20 PM
So, I will be taking in some money over the break. Which of the following options should I do? I will make a little over 2 grand. Please pick one of the following options.

1. Apexi World Sport Coilovers
2. KYB AGXs + Tein S-Techs + Front and rear Strut and sway bars
3. Save it bitch, wait till you have an sr20 to do all that funny stuff!

I'll do the 300zx brake conversion over the summer too.

Cam
04-07-2003, 01:43 PM
I'd choose #2. Actually, I did do #2 (Shocks springs and swaybars) on my otherwise stock, daily-driven 98 and it's a lot more enjoyable to drive. And you'll have money left over! :D

Yoshi
04-07-2003, 02:10 PM
were I to go back and do it all over again, I would've started with the most expensive items first, then everything after seems a little different, as you've already spent such a large chunk of cash... it changes your spending outlook a little bit.

Fastback180
04-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I would definatly go w/#1: The coilovers. It's not too often you get a nice lump-sum of money, and it's best to get the big things done and over with. Plus, the coilovers will make a nice touch.

Wiisass
04-07-2003, 02:34 PM
I say go with coilovers, but that's just because it's what i will be doing this summer. Best bet, is to consider how it's going to be used. The agx/s-tech would be a good combo for street and a little autox, but if you're going to be doing more track stuff i would go with the coilovers. Also, if you think you're going to go with coilovers at any point in the future it would make more sense to just get them now. I know you can sell the spring/shock combo in the future too, but you'll end up losing money, which is never a good thing. So just think about what you want and how you're going to use them and decide if the extra money spent now will pay off for you in the future if you go with coilovers.

Tim

blatch
04-07-2003, 03:25 PM
I have a second car. I plan for this car to be like my little sports car/race car. So coilovers it is, mates. Thanks for the info.

Bbandit
04-07-2003, 03:26 PM
are you doing road course, autox, maybe drift events?
if you answered one of the above
get yourself a full coilover setup as your first choice..
but if you want to save some money to get an lsd or other suspension goodies.. go with kyb + spring/ground control...

NiteKids
04-07-2003, 03:30 PM
If you go with the WS you may be disapointed because the soft Spring rates.

AKADriver
04-07-2003, 03:35 PM
What are they? 5 and 4 kg/mm?

That's not SOFT by any stretch... that's two and a half times stiffer than stock springs, and still significantly stiffer than most any aftermarket non-height-adjustable springs.

Dousan_PG
04-07-2003, 03:53 PM
but world sports are non damper adjustable and can break when driving on the freeway. you need to take out a part, see this writeup on it by Nekopunch (he da man)

http://northwestnissans.com/donations/nekopunch/apexws/

pic #1c has the part you DONT install

also dont think you can use camber plates on the WS.

mrmephistopheles
04-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by dousan36
also dont think you can use camber plates on the WS.

Correct. Stock upper mounts only.

jyt747
04-07-2003, 04:52 PM
I would just go with a good set of shock and springs as opposed to coilovers (esp. WS). The non-adjustable dampening is a big minus IMO. Coilovers are also a bit harsh for daily driving imho...

NiteKids
04-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Besides those WS are base end coilovers. It doesn't have the independent height thing. So when you lower or raise the car it doesn't effect shock travel or something

NiteKids
04-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by mrmephistopheles
Correct. Stock upper mounts only.

I think you use cusco camber plates. The ones that I was going to get can mount on your standard spring shock combo and any coilover which uses stock upper mounts.

sykikchimp
04-07-2003, 06:23 PM
yeah, but for the price of WS coilovers, and Camber plates.. you could have bought nicer, Adjustable coilovers with more features.