PDA

View Full Version : Thumbs Up To Rs*r Drift Festival!!

CAPTAINNEO
04-06-2003, 09:18 PM
just got back from drift festival....how inspiring it was to see m. orido drive the infield at irwindale....i had fun (from the spectators point of view....) wish i could drive like those guys....thought rs*r put together a nice event, small and kinda intimate, but plenty of nice cars and crazy drivers!!

pruto
04-06-2003, 10:28 PM
i had hella fun, damn tired, learned a lot, and ready for more...

my only gripe is that the drivers didn't get anything as a keep sake. Hell, everyone who paid $10 for advanced tickets got a cool shirt. I mean the memories, experience, and burnt clutch was worth the $85 i paid, but if they made 1000 t-shirts for spectators, why not make 70 more for the drivers as well?

countdown: 48 days till next drift event (Drift Day 5)

s15dude
04-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Word yo, the event was awesome, my drifting J30 ownz all!! not really it understeers like a Biotch!! anyways, savin for a s13 to go crazy with!

adey
04-07-2003, 12:31 AM
yeaaaah. it was fun, I guess. the crowd was ridiculously WEAK. They didn't know what they were seeing. :rolleyes: I was the ONLY one in the crowd SCREAMING and clapping every time someone pulled off a nice drift. People around me looked at me funny, but it's unfair to the drivers if the crowd is a bunch of idiots. Drifting is SHOW; it's RICE, the crowd is supposed to get EXCITED, not to stay silent. Everyone was just hiding behind their stupid video cameras the whole time.

Whatevers... I'm really disappointed at the crowd, but very, VERY proud of the drivers who competed; a lot of people had markedly improved, and eventually when alex (battle version alex) drifted the whole outer ring, it was just nuts. I haven't seen such skill in real life since the pros at Drift Showoff!! Mad props to Alex, Earnie and Andy for their first, third and second (respectively) placings!

Saul240
04-07-2003, 12:35 PM
great event everyone....i loved it...ill post some videos later on of some practice drifts...gj rory, jordan, and grant

NZO
04-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by adey
People around me looked at me funny, but it's unfair to the drivers if the crowd is a bunch of idiots.

Hopefully these people (the posers) will get tired of drifing and **** off so people who are genuinely interested can enjoy it.

Wei240
04-07-2003, 03:34 PM
The funny thing is that people at the top in the stands are actually more responsive than people down below at track level. You get to see a better view to see who pulled off a good drift. They were cheering everytime they saw a good drift/run, whenever the safety truck was on the track and whenever a show was put on by those 3 cars.

pchio
04-07-2003, 03:48 PM
It's really a wonderful event. Although I only have 8 laps, and I did very very bad, it's ton of fun by just watching so closely and I have learned many things this time.

Anyway, here are some video from the event for those who didn't come. (Right click and save target as)

EVO 7 4 wheels drifting (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift1.mpg)

Jspec s13 vs Orido (1) (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift2.mpg)

Jspec s13 vs Orido (2) (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift3.mpg)

Andy's 86 vs Ordio (1) (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift4.mpg)

Andy's 86 vs Orido (2) (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift5.mpg)

Alex's 86 vs Orido (1) (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift6.mpg)

Alex's 86 vs Orido (2) (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift7.mpg)

Jspec s13 SOLO (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift8.mpg)

350z and Supra (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift9.mpg)

Ordio in 350z (http://www.ebvc.com/rsrdrift/rsrdrift9a.mpg)

Enjoy!

-Pat

180sxdrifter
04-08-2003, 11:00 AM
WOW!!!!! I wish I was there man. Too bad I live in the other side of the country...THE Hatchi TRUENO RULES!!! ^_^

driftingpanda
04-08-2003, 01:02 PM
it was indeed a great event! i had a lot of fun on the practice courses, and it was quite an honor to see some very talented drivers during the competition, and the pros... well, they're simply incredible!

but...
i feel horrible for moto and the event organizers. the spectator turn out was not so great and they lost a ton of money holding this event. i also feel very bad for orido! he had to stick his entire upper body out of the window just to get an applause! hopefully there will be smaller, less flashy events in the future for us drift-y people.

i said hello to a lot of people while flagging the last hour on the practice course (big sweeper), are any of you guys here on zilvia? if so feel free to say hello! i was driving the black s13 without a rear bumper in case any of you guys saw me there.

all in all, great job everyone! see you guys at the next event!

danny

danny

s15dude
04-08-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by driftingpanda
it was indeed a great event! i had a lot of fun on the practice courses, and it was quite an honor to see some very talented drivers during the competition, and the pros... well, they're simply incredible!

but...
i feel horrible for moto and the event organizers. the spectator turn out was not so great and they lost a ton of money holding this event. i also feel very bad for orido! he had to stick his entire upper body out of the window just to get an applause! hopefully there will be smaller, less flashy events in the future for us drift-y people.

i said hello to a lot of people while flagging the last hour on the practice course (big sweeper), are any of you guys here on zilvia? if so feel free to say hello! i was driving the black s13 without a rear bumper in case any of you guys saw me there.

all in all, great job everyone! see you guys at the next event!

danny

danny

I saw your car in the practice area. your doing pretty good, unlike my self, I was in the white J30, which I found out isnt a great drift car, but I just wanted to give it a shot.

Brian
04-08-2003, 02:26 PM
driftingpanda - did you have a duct taped on license plate?

driftingpanda
04-08-2003, 03:08 PM
s15dude, thanks for the compliment! i think it's great that you're taking that thing to the tracks, it's good to see some variety at these events!

yesweprimise, yeah, i duct taped it on for a while when i had to leave to find a shop to fix a valve stem for a friend. the plate was off most of the day in case of pictures.

danny

kurissuS13
04-08-2003, 09:15 PM
danny, how's it goin there? this is chris, the guy in the blue FC with the yellow X on the front bumper. it was nice to meet u at the event, albeit a very quick greeting. do u kno if the starter i gave janet is okay? i just wanna make sure. :D anyway, u were really tearing it up in the practice area! i was in awe at your drifting prowess. btw, thanx for not sayin anything about my friend gettin in a couple runs. u's is O-TAY! :)

edit: me and all of my friends really liked ur horn. haha. that's classic. and i saw at the end of the event, y'all were hanging 'round my truck but then dispersed when i came back. awwww, i didn't mind. as long as u didn't pee in there, i could care less. lastly, how come u didn't have a rear bumper?

driftingpanda
04-08-2003, 11:26 PM
kurissu: hey Chris! it was nice meeting you as well! although i don't consider my drifting to resemble anything close to a 'prowess', i thank you for your kind words. you should've seen some of the guys running the competition, that's real skill. as for your buddy, yeah, kenji was eyeing me, telling me to end the course, but i thought 4pm was a little early so i milked it for all it had.

as for the horn... i couldn't help it, it's just too funny, i'm quite glad it provided some value of entertainment! i didn't realize we were hanging around your truck. don't worry, i'm sure they all peed AROUND it instead of in it.

i didn't have a rear bumper because my car got butt-kissed by a speeding tercel a couple of weeks ago, i took it off to work on the quarter panel. i didn't put it back because i thot it would be kinda funny driving without one. original plans were to have stuffed monkeys hanging from the tail lights, but a non-daylight-savings-adjusted alarm clock prohibited such time consuming addition.

sorry i didn't chat with you more that day, hope to see you at DD5!

danny

CAPTAINNEO
04-09-2003, 02:14 AM
drift festival was my first 'drift event'...i loved it...the atmosphere was sooo much different from the quarter mile racer scene...so much homier and comfortable...i fell head over heels for the driving styles i witnessed, wish i had my video camera....i do have some mpeg's from my digi cam, resolution sux...if anyone can help me post id love to show....i think ima become a convert...from the honda camp to the nissan camp...when is dd5? hope i have the day off from work....wish i had found this site sooner so i coulda met up with some of you other members...that woulda been fun.

GotDriftS14
04-09-2003, 02:55 AM
the drift event was lots of fun for me. except for the part where me and mr migs had to travel down a bumpy ass road to McDonalds to get food for everyone at the signal tent haha, its not easy trying to drive over a bumpy messed up road construction area while trying to keep from spilling 8 sodas, hehe. but yeah the event was great, and orido really kicked ass. the supra didnt seem to be the easiest car to drift with, cuz i noticed even orido spun the thing while trying to get it going sideways. and watching orido finally pull off a -decent- drift in the Lug Nut car was awesome! haha, that car seemed almost impossible to hold sideways because of the miniscule wheelbase. Adey, were you in the stands? cuz where i was, there seemed to be a pretty decent amount of cheering going on, at least toward the end of the event around the last couple elimination rounds. and in the finals on ernie's 2nd run where he drifted pretty much the entire first banked turn and carried it downhill to the other set, damn that was amazing, and the crowd seemed to recognize it too and was cheering.

congratulations to alex, andy, and ernie for doing an awesome job in the finals!! it must have been very tough to judge, because i watched over my video of the final rounds and i think any one of them could have won, they all kicked major ass. Andy seemed to be the only one who ran very consistently for his final 2 runs (both of which were near perfect!), but he didnt seem to be able to carry out the same hi speed drifting as Alex did. and Ernie, man, he just kicked ass! his first run was a little off because he swung the 2nd turn wide and clipped a cone, but his second run was amazing! drifting the entire first hi-speed turn and then coming within inches of the wall at the 2nd to last turn right in front of the judges!! great stuff. and Alex did an amazing job in the silver corolla, and the times he spun looked like he might have been distracted by the positioning of Orido's car in relation to the line that alex was trying to run, but aside from the spins in his second run his drifting was buttery smooth and very fast! overall it was such an awesome competition and a really good showing for the California drift crowd, the competitors seem to be getting exponentially better with each drift event! keep it up!

:D

pruto
04-09-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by CAPTAINNEO
drift festival was my first 'drift event'...i loved it...the atmosphere was sooo much different from the quarter mile racer scene...so much homier and comfortable...i fell head over heels for the driving styles i witnessed, wish i had my video camera....i do have some mpeg's from my digi cam, resolution sux...if anyone can help me post id love to show....i think ima become a convert...from the honda camp to the nissan camp...when is dd5? hope i have the day off from work....wish i had found this site sooner so i coulda met up with some of you other members...that woulda been fun.

um, well, drifting isn't about a "camp" or a particular car brand. I'm sure you can drift with some Hondas, and there we as many Toyotas as Nissans at Drift Festival (Supras, AE86, and i think i saw an old Celica). Its all about having fun with your car sideways, no matter what it is.

May 24 - Club4AG Drift Day 5 - Irwindale Speedway (Irwindale, CA). drift days aren't really a spectator event, more of a practice, but its fun to watch (a lot more fun to drive tho). I'm sure if you ask and bring a helmet, people can get you rides hehe.

check the club4ag.com page for updates, they don't have info on it yet since its like more than a month away.

p.s. post your mpegs, hehe, i want to see more videos!
:)

Dousan_PG
04-09-2003, 12:48 PM
did someone crash or get into accident? i was looking thru various pics and seems a black s14a (kouki) w/ kouki JDM bumper hit a trailer or somethiNG?

it LOOKED Like Jason's car?
can someone let me know, his car is so nice w/ the JDM headlights and HID!! AAAH

thx

pruto
04-09-2003, 01:46 PM
yeah, Jason ran into a parked trailer.

front bumper, driverside corner, driverside headlight jacked. a little hood damage and driverside fender damage.

i think it was understeer, and the trailer was placed too close to the end of one of the practice courses. sad sad moment, before then i've NEVER witnessed an accident before (that wasn't my own).

strangely, the kouki s14 still looks damn beautiful even with the minor front end damage

on a similar note, there were quite a few obsticles on the practice course. not blaming anyone, cause club4ag didn't much room to work with.

1) big ass dip on the big sweeper, although some people smartly used it the initiate drifts and change dirrection, but it wasn't helpful sometimes and would throw you off.

2) trailer thing with Jason, Grant hit a trashcan on the skid pad, a couple of light posts were really close to the small sweaper course, one which came uncomfortably close every time i try to take the correct line. But of course, still a lot safer than the streets.

Zenki_S14
04-09-2003, 02:52 PM
so which event is the one with all 20 japanese drift pro's?

ny_jee
04-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Zenki_S14
so which event is the one with all 20 japanese drift pro's?

That would be the official D1GP in USA on Aug 30/31. And I believe it's 16 of the D1 drivers instead of 20 that you've been informed w/. Pre sale tickets are available already, there's a thread in the meet/event section on FA.

The RS*R was great considering it was only the 2nd official drift event in CA. The spectators seemed much more spread out than that of the Driftshowoff, and probably contributed to the lack of cheering that Adey mentioned. The competition course was really tough before the change. After the course change, it wasn't as difficult but still quite challenging. It really separated the great drivers from the not so great ones(myself included), however, I think most ppl that competed did rather well(good job, all!). Congrats to Alex, Andy and Ernie. And big thx to all the sponsors and especially the host, club4ag.

nismo_sr20_wut
04-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Where can you get tickets for D1 im having a hard time finding a place that is selling them

s15dude
04-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by pruto
yeah, Jason ran into a parked trailer.

front bumper, driverside corner, driverside headlight jacked. a little hood damage and driverside fender damage.

i think it was understeer, and the trailer was placed too close to the end of one of the practice courses. sad sad moment, before then i've NEVER witnessed an accident before (that wasn't my own).

strangely, the kouki s14 still looks damn beautiful even with the minor front end damage

on a similar note, there were quite a few obsticles on the practice course. not blaming anyone, cause club4ag didn't much room to work with.

1) big ass dip on the big sweeper, although some people smartly used it the initiate drifts and change dirrection, but it wasn't helpful sometimes and would throw you off.

2) trailer thing with Jason, Grant hit a trashcan on the skid pad, a couple of light posts were really close to the small sweaper course, one which came uncomfortably close every time i try to take the correct line. But of course, still a lot safer than the streets.

I saw jason hit the trailer, it was nasty but not toooo bad, I was in grants car when he hit the trash can, it dented it pretty bad, I was watching it happen in the rear view mirror and I said "oh f$$K" and we got off the course right away and he ripped his interior apart in seconds and then popped it out with his hand so you can hardly see it anymore. But the trashcan is now oval shaped lol, plus he knocked it clear into the small middle course. Goodtimes.:D

drift into a curb
04-09-2003, 07:02 PM
I think Jason was exiting the first course and then hit the trailer. I talked with him afterwards and he seemed irritated, but understanding that **** happens to your car. I saw the the other s14 hit the trashcan. Sucks. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad.

Saul240
04-10-2003, 10:47 AM
yeah i was right by when i heard the clash....i feel bad, jason makes that car soo perfect...:(...did you guys see the black coupe with red rims???? on the same track??? :D

driftingpanda
04-10-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Saul240
yeah i was right by when i heard the clash....i feel bad, jason makes that car soo perfect...:(...did you guys see the black coupe with red rims???? on the same track??? :D

Saul240, what did you mean by that? did something happen to the guy with red rims (knightrider)??? those red advan ARS wheels used to be mine... i kinda miss them now!

sorry to hear that a couple of people damaged their car... the good thing is that no body got hurt. i don't think i've ever met any one who's drifted and did NOT damage their car in some way. i have a tiny bit of damage as well, that second dip in the big sweeper bent my tie rod. the first dip, however, was very yummy.

danny

drift into a curb
04-10-2003, 09:05 PM
i have a tiny bit of damage as well, that second dip in the big sweeper bent my tie rod. the first dip, however, was very yummy.

danny

LOL, yeah go fast and hope your car hops over that first dip. Hopefully next time, they'll use a little better judgement and move the track so no dips!

kouki coupe 86
04-12-2003, 04:43 AM
hey guys uhh i feel kinda out of place but anyways i was the guy at the practice event with the blue corolla gts coupe with NEVADA plates, i drove all the way down from vegas the night before after work, it was fun practice session and by mid day after lunch i was able to get the car sideways easily and control it, i had a blast any of you guys get any pictures of the practice session or VIDEO??? let me know if you got any with my car in it id love to see some video to watch what i was doing.

adey
04-12-2003, 05:30 AM
nice! Good to see there're more than just Socallers out there. :) What do you have on the car?
Sorry I didn't bring a camera/video cam, so I can't help with that.

kouki coupe 86
04-12-2003, 11:51 AM
ya not to many people from out of state areas came down, i mean the north cal guys showed so that was cool, i think my other friend and i were the only out of state guys that participated, umm im running short strokes all the way around kg mm and trd springs jic bar intake exhaust, seat all the goodies.....no one with video huh!?!??! darn!

Saul240
04-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Saul240, what did you mean by that? did something happen to the guy with red rims (knightrider)??? those red advan ARS wheels used to be mine... i kinda miss them now!

sorry to hear that a couple of people damaged their car... the good thing is that no body got hurt. i don't think i've ever met any one who's drifted and did NOT damage their car in some way. i have a tiny bit of damage as well, that second dip in the big sweeper bent my tie rod. the first dip, however, was very yummy.

danny

Ok....well it was not jordan(knightrider) I also saw u on the track, as he pointed out I think....and yes everyone i do have alot of coverage on video of the drift event...i just need to digitalize it...i have a couple runs (inside the car) of knightrider and concept 240...thought I am not sure if I am allowed to disclose this video due to copyright laws...ill look into it

kouki coupe 86
04-12-2003, 03:22 PM
give me some video!!!! if your worried about copyright laws you can give me a link to a direct server, im not gonna be throwing video up all over the place i just wanna see my car in action and everyone elses.

thanks!!

Ken