PDA

View Full Version : grants for college. Help

Aepharoh
06-08-2009, 08:08 PM
hey guys i was thinking, is it really that hard to get a grant to get a degree? I was looking on grants.gov and thiers a lottt and i mean a lot of money making ops. and their all grants. So what i am trying to say is, does anyone know if thier are grants were they give u until u finish university with a engineering degree?

i looked all around and this is my last resort before i end up with a student loan that i don't want to end up doin.

i hope this isn't comfusing.

lflkajfj12123
06-08-2009, 08:11 PM
most grants are rewarded on your fafsa or how much your parents / you make

if you're dead serious about getting an engineering degree

you shouldnt have a problem doing a loan because YOU KNOW you will graduate and be able to pay it back

ALTRNTV
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
California is severely cutting back on their Cal Grant program. Go to the financial aid office of the school you want to attend,
and just ask them. They'll be more than likely to help you find the grants you'll be eligible for.

I got $9k in Cal Grants grants this year for my college program.

Aepharoh
06-08-2009, 08:38 PM
True on being able to pay it back. i strugling for 2 years now and its getting harder as classes get harder i even moved back with dad just to cut expenses. i havn't filled a fafsa for a while i think i should and see what i can do with that it really helped me for the first two years.
AKADEMIKONE. HOW DID U GET ALL THAT WOW?

rokmplutonium
06-08-2009, 08:44 PM
California is severely cutting back on their Cal Grant program. Go to the financial aid office of the school you want to attend,
and just ask them. They'll be more than likely to help you find the grants you'll be eligible for.

Cal Grants are no more due to sever budget cuts.

ALTRNTV
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
I told them my income was only $5000 ($8000 is minimun income required to file taxes IIRC). Works great. :keke:

The $9k grants is actually spread over my 18-month program.

I haven't filed taxes AT ALL ever since I have started working (about 7 years), as I never make
the minimum amount required to file. I make more, but it's mostly under the table type stuff. ;)

If you're confident about your career, being in debt to go to school isn't such a big deal. I am
in debt around $16k for my school, but I'll be able to pay that off easily after I start working.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
06-08-2009, 08:56 PM

you shouldnt have a problem doing a loan because YOU KNOW you will graduate and be able to pay it back

i'm going to owe over 50K when i finish.

http://palmgoon.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/the_more_you_know2.jpg

i'd also like to take this opportunity to say:

fuck drexel university.

Aepharoh
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
dude that would of worked out perfect for me i work under too, plan b which is loan i think by the time i graduate ill be set back by like 65 grand i wana put an rb on my s14 too i calcualted its costs in their as well.
good luck with ur studies too. maybe ill win the lotto, u never know then ill pay ur debt off for the help, a small thank you

ALTRNTV
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
What school are you planning on attending anyways. $65k is a big chunk of change, even with a good
career.

iwishiwas-all*
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM

lmao
thats what i said when I started.
I got one more year, boatload of loans but im good for it. If you got the brain, you about to get paid.

Taniguchi_Is_#1
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
dude that would of worked out perfect for me i work under too, plan b which is loan i think by the time i graduate ill be set back by like 65 grand i wana put an rb on my s14 too i calcualted its costs in their as well.
good luck with ur studies too. maybe ill win the lotto, u never know then ill pay ur debt off for the help, a small thank you

honestly, if i could do it all again, i would've gone to a public state school and gotten a huge amount of free gov't money. don't believe the hype. unless you're going to stanford, cinci, or the like, you're gonna waste your money. not to sound arrogant, stuck up, or whatever, but private schools have harder curriculum (it's just a fact, you get what you pay for, right?) so you'll have to put in a lot more effort than people at a state school. but in the end, if you keep a good GPA and have the right contacts, you'll get a ballin' job regardless of where your degree came from.

notes:

1. go to state school and save money
2. do an internship
3. make friends with professors
4. ???
5. profit

iwishiwas-all*
06-08-2009, 09:48 PM
I told them my income was only $5000 ($8000 is minimun income required to file taxes IIRC). Works great. :keke:

I haven't filed taxes AT ALL ever since I have started working (about 7 years), as I never make
the minimum amount required to file. I make more, but it's mostly under the table type stuff. ;)

If you're confident about your career, being in debt to go to school isn't such a big deal. I am
in debt around $16k for my school, but I'll be able to pay that off easily after I start working.
thats bull i made 7k last year and had to pay 750 to the government weaksauce.
im gonna start not filing so i can get tax collectors after me lol
jkj

ALTRNTV
06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
I still paid taxes taken from my paycheck, I just didn't formally file for April 15. It's legal, I asked several tax people. :keke:

duffman1278
06-08-2009, 09:52 PM
The government was lame to me, told me I didn't qualify, but that I could get a loan, f that! my friends basically lied on theirs and they got sooo much free money, I was pissed.

Aepharoh
06-08-2009, 10:09 PM

What school are you planning on attending anyways. $65k is a big chunk of change, even with a good
career.

yea like 10k is just for my car but i want to go to san jose state for mechanical engineering, its the best public univ. in cali for engineering. i have machining experience too so i know i can get a ballin job. just gota know how to solve math probs.

lflkajfj12123
06-09-2009, 12:24 AM
lmao
thats what i said when I started.
I got one more year, boatload of loans but im good for it. If you got the brain, you about to get paid.

yup yup yup

student loans will be paid off within the first year or two of working no big deal

i'm good for it

r6_240sx
06-09-2009, 12:52 AM
OP: All you need fill out is the FAFSA. If you're 25 or older you can declare yourself as independent, along with some others like married, but this is the main one. If not you're considered dependent on your parents, and the chances of you getting financial aid are based on your parents income. If your parents don't help you with college, your truly SOL when it comes to filling out this form. It use to be 18, but a lot of people abused the system unfortunately.

After you have filled out FAFSA you can do this:
https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov/logon.asp

If you're really struggling and really are independent and under 25 you must talk to your financial aid at your school about your situation. Budget cuts in CSU systems are really bad now, though so good luck. Most likely have to take loans, hopefully you can get Subbed Loans!

in debt around $16k for my school, but I'll be able to pay that off easily after I start working.I'm telling the IRS on you.

I hate people that can't actually show proof of income, hog all the free moniez. :(

(I don't hate you, I'm just secretly jealous, I'm still telling though) :fawk:

I wish they gave grants for people who have good GPA. Yes, I know there are scholarships, but grants are soo much easier.

hOngsterr
06-09-2009, 12:53 AM
i was emailed that our grants might
not come thru cuz of the governer
and some crap
but oh well,
thank god theres CC
lol

I wish they gave grants for people who have good GPA. Yes, I know there are scholarships, but grants are soo much easier.

they do give ppl grants with good gpa's
its the cal grant A or is it B. its one of them

i got it once yes once lol.

r6_240sx
06-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Oh yeah, crap I forgot they submit that automatically.

I checked right now and all you need is the GPA verification form.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/r6_240sx/grant.gif
I still don't get any though and I'm eligible for the Honor Society too, lame.

hOngsterr
06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
my friends sister
filed him for all scholarships and grants
he got like 7k a semester no joke.
i was like wtf.

you just need to know what u can get and waste your time reading
all the open scholarships out there.

Vatche
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
go to the financial aid office first, they will tell you what you need to do. they will have you sign up on fafsa.gov and then you go from there

bigOdom1
06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
apply to every single one you qualify for. if you dont your crazy. pell grants and scholarships are free money . there is no interest added to the subsidized loan until it comes due for payment(usually when you graduate). A nonsubsidized loan requires interest payments while your in school.

i suggest you try not to use either of the loans until you exhaust the previous options then start with a subsidized and if an emergency happens the ask for the nonsubsidized but only if you have a legit job.

Aepharoh
06-09-2009, 01:37 PM
apply to every single one you qualify for. if you dont your crazy. pell grants and scholarships are free money . there is no interest added to the subsidized loan until it comes due for payment(usually when you graduate). A nonsubsidized loan requires interest payments while your in school.

i suggest you try not to use either of the loans until you exhaust the previous options then start with a subsidized and if an emergency happens the ask for the nonsubsidized but only if you have a legit job.

I really like that i dea. i think that's what ill do. ill hit up the fafsa office see how many sholarships i can apply for and fafsa as well. i get the cal grant already, its easy to do. I think what ill also do is shop around for a subsidized loan as a back up.

As far as a job after college i am not worried about that at all i know i can start makin that money in no time. My plan is to be a millionaire by the age of 30 and i won't stop their either. Start an engineering firm for reducing energy costs is my ultimate goal. or win the lottery looool

imotion s14
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
i'm going to owe over 50K when i finish.

i'd also like to take this opportunity to say:

fuck drexel university.

Don't worry, the Fed and the Mulatto in Chief are hard at work monetizing your debt. Basically people who are in debt get their debts wiped away by inflation.

DALAZ_68
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
2. do an internship

5. profit

i feel bad, thats all ive been doign since i graduated high school...now im a project engineer...craziest thing, i havent even graduated college :hide:

if u go the route of interships, i do suggest u make friends with those u need to make friends with...

Aepharoh
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
yea i hope to meet a few cool people. i think when i discover the catagory that i want to specializ in like heat transfer ect.., then i will do an internship during summers until i find a company that i really like. I can make friends with engineers no prob. so far i have 2 buddies of mine that r engineers and another one his dad is the head engineer for boeing in LB CA.

DALAZ what kind of projects do u work on? I wouldn't mind that i like projects am a team player

Glad to have smart people driving the same car as i am. kinda off topic but its nice to know that most 240 drivers have a brain.

DALAZ_68
06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
yea i hope to meet a few cool people. i think when i discover the catagory that i want to specializ in like heat transfer ect.., then i will do an internship during summers until i find a company that i really like. I can make friends with engineers no prob. so far i have 2 buddies of mine that r engineers and another one his dad is the head engineer for boeing in LB CA.

DALAZ what kind of projects do u work on? I wouldn't mind that i like projects am a team player

Glad to have smart people driving the same car as i am. kinda off topic but its nice to know that most 240 drivers have a brain.

private work, were considering going into public works, ill tell u this, and i tell this to any intern thats come by, never do the minimum, project managers hate that shit, wether u stay longer to finish an assignment or to learn something new...never just do the minimum...

JohnnyDrfiter22
06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Why not try a scholarship. Organizations give those out for just about anything.

Aepharoh
06-09-2009, 04:34 PM
yea i never like to halfass anything specially if its something that someone is pretty much doin me a favor and teaching.

scholarships yea i would like to but i haven't found my way around them but by the end of summer ill make sure to have looked and asked around. I want to major in engineering and i will do it one way or another even if it requires me to work 40 hours a week and no sleep.

DALAZ_68
06-09-2009, 04:41 PM
yea i never like to halfass anything specially if its something that someone is pretty much doin me a favor and teaching.

scholarships yea i would like to but i haven't found my way around them but by the end of summer ill make sure to have looked and asked around. I want to major in engineering and i will do it one way or another even if it requires me to work 40 hours a week and no sleep.
lol...40 hrs...no one in construction works 40 hours, expecially engineers...50 to 55+ is more realistic...if u enjoy what u do, it really wont faze you...i do suggest that what ever field u choose, internships make the big difference, experience,exposure,hands on... knowing is one thing, doing, is so much more...from experience.

Aepharoh
06-09-2009, 04:52 PM
yea thats very true. as far as my major, i am looking in mechanical engineering and i do have experience already i mentioned this earlier i am almost a machinest only on manual right now but working on getting a cnc cert. as well. Any engineer that knows his shit right he has some type of machining knowledge because all the prototypes that get designed need to have some kind of machining work done to them and if the engineer knows how its going to get done then it has at least two benifets that i can think of. 1. cost to get the prototype machined and 2. designing the parts to make it easier to machine which also would save the company lots of money.