PDA

View Full Version : Mishimoto vs. Koyo

Altered_Image
06-05-2009, 06:52 AM
I would like to get your opinions on radiators for an S13 Blacktop SR Swap.

Please tell me which radiator you would go with, REGARDLESS of price, and the reason for your choice.

Thank you kindly!

S14DB
06-05-2009, 08:05 AM
Street or Race use?

I would go Koyo Copper for the street(stop and go) and Aluminum for race(constant airflow).

GSXRJJordan
06-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Regardless of price, I'd go with neither. Fluidyne, Griffen, or custom.

That being said, for my RB25, I bought a Mishimoto 3row.

Killa_D
06-05-2009, 09:43 AM
Regardless of price, I'd go with neither. Fluidyne, Griffen, or custom.

That being said, for my RB25, I bought a Mishimoto 3row.
yeah no shit fluidyne and griffen ftw...

Moon Ill
06-05-2009, 10:14 AM
PBM
(http://www.gtfactory.jp/cms/page.php?11)
It's even cheaper than the Mishimoto unit and PBM has amazing customer service (second hand knowledge).

----------------------

I have ran a Mishimoto for a year and a month (exact). About a month before I switched over to a Koyo Copper (as a replacement) the Mishimoto started slowly leaking fluid from somewhere on the bottom.

That slowly turned into a quickly which is why I replaced it.

Mishimoto does offer a 1-year NQA Warranty, but mine went out a month after the warranty expired.

That said.

I paid $185 for my Mishimoto, which is a hell of a deal over the Koyo.

with That said.

A friend of mine is running an ancient Aluminum Koyo and it's still going strong.

If I had to do it again I would have still gotten a Mishimoto.

Another friend of mine, a local shop owner, has been running Mishimoto on his KAT since they were released. The only thing that killed it was a head on collision about a month back.

-----------------------------------------

If money is no object get one of the Gucci radiators the other guys mentioned.

But if money is an object, I think you already know what to do.

jamg
06-05-2009, 10:43 AM
z32 guys with 700+hp run with koyo's

Black Guy
06-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I liked my koyo. I could daily drive it without fans with no problem. But Mishimoto isn't bad either. We can get both here at enjuku :)

GSXRJJordan
06-05-2009, 10:58 AM
z32 guys with 700+hp run with koyo's

And top-fuel drag racers run 4500+ hp with no radiator.

That doesn't make Koyo the end-all, be-all of radiators, just popular enough that people recognize the name.

surge s14
06-05-2009, 01:26 PM
i had a mishimoto in my old car liked it so much i bought another for my current project car

SUPERSTAR
06-05-2009, 01:42 PM
What's a radiator, is it like some kind of radiation protector.

koyo, works great in my s13 blacktop that gets really beaten up.

s13skank
06-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Im saying Koyo cause i had 2 and never did me no wrong havent really had a Mishimoto one

usdm180sx
06-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Koyo > Mishimoto because you can run stock an shroud w/koyo but not mishimoto

Yashio Factory FTW

unlegendary
06-05-2009, 04:40 PM
i don't think it matters as long as the install is great and you don't half ass on anything.

Mangudai
06-05-2009, 09:19 PM

Yashio Factory FTW

Modified or unmodified?

GSXRJJordan
06-05-2009, 11:45 PM
Modified or unmodified?

You still have to shave it, which to me doesn't really make it an advantage.

Then again, I haven't run a clutch fan since 2004 or 2005 :keke:

wangan_cruiser
06-06-2009, 04:41 AM
ive had koyo for the last 2 yrs but no problem.

Mister.E
06-06-2009, 04:41 AM
my mishimoto has been the shit since i bought it. always keeps my car's temps low. i have never owned a koyo so i cant really speak to its functionality. im sure the koyo is not a piece of shit

Homer_Simpson
06-06-2009, 11:57 AM

Yashio Factory FTW

Weird man, I've got a Mishimoto with a stock shroud on it (S13 SR with S14 SR shroud in an S14). However, I guy that I sold my stock S13 SR shroud to said that it wouldn't fit his Mishimoto.

Why did I get a Mishimoto? I was desperate for a radiator, it was cheap, the sale guy on here was super responsive. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and would definitely buy it again.

Edit: I did not have to mod/shave anything on the fan shroud to make it fit.

KingKong8247
06-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Mishimoto does offer a 1-year NQA Warranty, but mine went out a month after the warranty expired.

Should have called them up. Same thing happened to me, leaking and about a month past the warranty expiration and they replaced it no problem. Just wanted some pictures of the leaking. Great customer service at Mishimoto!

That being said I run a Koyo now

Silverstreek
06-07-2009, 05:07 AM
i've got a mishimoto on my s13 with a ka and it f'ing rocks! doesn't over or under cool. works great and looks great. i bought it and their dual electric fan with shroud setup and am running/controlling it with the dif fan controller and it's perfect. fan's hardly ever kick on and when they do, it's for a short period of time. i also installed new ect sensors, nismo t-stat, nissan waterpump and poured in some water wetter for good measure/protection.
if i ever get to buy an s14, i'll do the exact same setup on it too. mishimoto's got a huge thumbs up from me.

mishimoto
06-08-2009, 11:04 AM
I have ran a Mishimoto for a year and a month (exact). About a month before I switched over to a Koyo Copper (as a replacement) the Mishimoto started slowly leaking fluid from somewhere on the bottom.

That slowly turned into a quickly which is why I replaced it.

That said.

I paid $185 for my Mishimoto, which is a hell of a deal over the Koyo.

with That said.

A friend of mine is running an ancient Aluminum Koyo and it's still going strong.

If I had to do it again I would have still gotten a Mishimoto.

Another friend of mine, a local shop owner, has been running Mishimoto on his KAT since they were released. The only thing that killed it was a head on collision about a month back.

Our warranty is lifetime, we would be happy to replace that radiator if you are still interested. Your shop owner friend's accident is covered under our warranty as well.

Yashio Factory FTW

You can run a stock shroud with our rad...

BTsr20s13
06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
wow, company representatives posting on the forums .. thats way cool!

mishimoto
06-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Well we have to make sure our customers know about our warranty and fitment!

Altered_Image
06-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Thank you all for all of your opinions, this is very helpful seeing that I have one of each and trying to decide which to put into my S13 this upcoming weekend. The one I don't install, I will either hang on to for a spare, or use it in my next SR project car.

Propaganda
06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Our warranty is lifetime, we would be happy to replace that radiator if you are still interested. Your shop owner friend's accident is covered under our warranty as well.Wut? That's an EPIC warranty! I was going to buy a very crappy eBay radiator, but that one makes me want to go in your direction

punxva
06-09-2009, 07:18 AM
mishimoto has a great warrenty, just had mine replaced because of manufacturing defects they handle their business very well

mishimoto
06-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Wut? That's an EPIC warranty! I was going to buy a very crappy eBay radiator, but that one makes me want to go in your direction

We stand behind our products 100%, and we are always here to help if you run into a problem.

mishimoto has a great warrenty, just had mine replaced because of manufacturing defects they handle their business very well

:bigok: Thanks

Om1kron
06-10-2009, 01:43 AM
a radiator is a radiator... it's not going to net you 10hp.

mishimoto
06-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Just because it doesn't net power does not mean it isn't a vital part of the engine's functionality. They significantly reduce and regulate the heat that the engine creates so that it does not overheat and damage critical components during daily driving, drifting, time attack, or whatever else it is used for.

Plus, how many other manufacturers offer a warranty for the lifetime of their product? If you get into an accident on the street or track and damage your rad, will your current radiator brand sent you a replacement for free?

besTint
06-10-2009, 10:59 AM
koyo N flow radiators actually cool better. you can see difference in water temp guage after changing from regular koyo radiator.

Om1kron
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
Just because it doesn't net power does not mean it isn't a vital part of the engine's functionality. They significantly reduce and regulate the heat that the engine creates so that it does not overheat and damage critical components during daily driving, drifting, time attack, or whatever else it is used for.

Plus, how many other manufacturers offer a warranty for the lifetime of their product? If you get into an accident on the street or track and damage your rad, will your current radiator brand sent you a replacement for free?

I understand you're a business man so anyone who doesn't post that mishimotor radiators are the bomb you will have something to say about your warranties.

But my rebuttle is Kia offers damn near lifetime warranties on their cars, how many guys here own a KIA?

Just because you offer a lifetime warranty doesn't mean that you will get my or other peoples business, even if you pay for the radiator if I lose my job or I can return it no charge.

People have personal preferences, and sometimes stick to brand names they know.

I have a no name radiator in my car not ebay, not koyo, not mishmoto, not griffin, or lex whatever. Just a big motherfucking radiator that does the job and fits under my hood.

When it breaks, I will probably have a specialty radiator shop build me a radiator with a built in shroud and fans that mounts to my stock grounding locations so it doesn't bolt to my upper radiator support.

Which I can't currently buy from you, or koyo.

We all have different needs was my point.

DrIvEsldEwAyS
06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
i currently own a koyo and have never had a problem, so your saying your warranty covers out damage to them as well?

sincity_sil80
06-10-2009, 08:35 PM

dayumm... touché haha,

waynehead05
06-11-2009, 01:32 AM
Huh. I had a ka Koyo with my ka, and with my sr I have a Moshimoto. I couldn't fit a s13 sr fan shroud but I'll retry, cause I don't want to run the electric fans if I don't have to.

mishimoto
06-11-2009, 10:05 AM
i currently own a koyo and have never had a problem, so your saying your warranty covers out damage to them as well?

Why would our warranty cover damage to a brand that is not our own? Our warranty covers damage to our own products :angel:

slider2828
06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Koyo... never heard of any leakage with Koyo at all and I know 6 or 7 people personally who run them.... I rather not have the problem in the first place.... Replacing radiators is not a fun deal with fan and shroud

Moon Ill
06-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Our warranty is lifetime, we would be happy to replace that radiator if you are still interested. Your shop owner friend's accident is covered under our warranty as well.

Too awesome!

Just emailed Chris @ mishimoto (per the sales reps demands!!).

mishimoto
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
Nice! Good to hear that is getting taken care of :)

DreamN
06-12-2009, 04:32 PM
^ Does that warranty cover products that weren't purchased from mishimoto directly (i.e. tuner shops) and from a couple years ago?

Silverbullet
06-12-2009, 09:06 PM

If you want to speak in terms of power the engine makes, the more heat you take out with a radiator, the less power your engine is potentially making.

A stock radiator with proper shroud does fine for what most people do on here. I would get a Mish over a Koyo simply over price and knowing it wont be even close to either's full potential.

funes
06-13-2009, 05:06 PM
I got my mishimoto rad + fan shroud the last monday and in 2 days we are going to install those good stuffs...

:)

S14DB
06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
If you want to speak in terms of power the engine makes, the more heat you take out with a radiator, the less power your engine is potentially making.

Wouldn't that be the job of the thermostat? Why you loose MPG with a colder thermostat.

mishimoto
06-15-2009, 11:17 AM
^ Does that warranty cover products that weren't purchased from mishimoto directly (i.e. tuner shops) and from a couple years ago?
Yes, as long as they are authorized retailers.

aa87
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Ive read mixed things about the mishimoto and the stock clutch fan. Yay or Nay on fitting the shroud?

usdm180sx
06-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Ive read mixed things about the mishimoto and the stock clutch fan. Yay or Nay on fitting the shroud?

+1 let's get this cleared up.

mishimoto
06-16-2009, 09:50 AM

The stock shroud fits on our rad.

DrIvEsldEwAyS
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
sorry, what i ment by that was, say i got in a wreck and your rad. busted would i get a new one? something of that nature, in a previous post it sounded like thats what yall would do.

mishimoto
06-17-2009, 08:47 AM
sorry, what i ment by that was, say i got in a wreck and your rad. busted would i get a new one? something of that nature, in a previous post it sounded like thats what yall would do.

Yes. If you had our rad on your car, and you got into an accident causing our rad to break, you would get a new one.

tunersedge
06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Yes. If you had our rad on your car, and you got into an accident causing our rad to break, you would get a new one.

Am i reading this correctly? So if im running a mishimoto rad in my car, I get in a front end collision and the radiator gets f'cked up. You will replace it for free?

mishimoto
06-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes. Mishimoto Warranty (http://www.mishimoto.com/warranty.html)

d3m14n
06-17-2009, 09:36 PM
that warranty is unreal. getting mine asap!

Altered_Image
06-18-2009, 05:58 AM
I am finishing my swap today and have a koyo and a mishimoto... Such a hard decision! The good news is that whatever I don't put in this one, will go in my wide-body when I have enough to buy another S13 blacktop swap!

mishimoto
06-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Good luck with your decision! :)

Enna
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Hm seriously considering mishimoto now. I've always been with koyo... but lets see what happens.

aa87
06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
The stock shroud fits on our rad.

any pics, i read in the agency motorsport special thread that they claim it wont fit an a customer said it won't fit. I am on the border of buying it however desire clutch fanaction, otherwise id go koyo.

Is it thicker than other alum rads which would make it more difficult to put stock clutch fan, aka trim a lot more??

Homer_Simpson
06-18-2009, 02:26 PM
any pics, i read in the agency motorsport special thread that they claim it wont fit an a customer said it won't fit. I am on the border of buying it however desire clutch fanaction, otherwise id go koyo.

Is it thicker than other alum rads which would make it more difficult to put stock clutch fan, aka trim a lot more??
Fits on my S14. Installation was similar to the OEM radiator with no trimming involved.

mishimoto
06-18-2009, 02:51 PM

I don't have any pictures, but the rad is 3.6in thick if that gives you an idea of what you would be working with. I'm not sure what sizes are competitors rads are for comparison.

Altered_Image
06-18-2009, 07:12 PM
So, I am not running a shroud on the rad I just put in my S13, I am running dual electric fans. I put the shroud on the Mishimoto that is going in my drift car (figured that if I wreck it, free new radiator). As for my daily that I just finished the swap on, I went with the Koyo. After reading all of this though, I most likely would have ran a Mishimoto on both cars, but I had already received the Koyo from a sponsor and bought the Mishimoto the same week not knowing I was going to be getting the Koyo as well.

Silverbullet
06-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Wouldn't that be the job of the thermostat? Why you loose MPG with a colder thermostat.
Off topic,

I'm not sure what your asking me, but a thermostat just controls the temp of the engine by opening the thermostat valve when the water temp is at a certain temp. I couldn't tell you specifically why MPG is reduced with a colder thermostat, but it could be because more heat is taken out of the engine, or because the computer changes the AFR, or a combination of both.

Neglecting a thermostat, the more heat an engine produces, the more power it is making. About 1/3 of the total energy of the mass of the fuel in the combustion chamber becomes usable work (power to the flywheel). The other 2/3 of the energy is either taken out from the cooling system, or loss through the exhaust and other misc losses.

Mangudai
06-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Fits on my S14. Installation was similar to the OEM radiator with no trimming involved.

I was told the exact opposite by Agency(stock shroud fitting on a Mishimoto rad. i mean).

Homer_Simpson
06-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I was told the exact opposite by Agency(stock shroud fitting on a Mishimoto rad. i mean).

Well, it fits on mine so take it for what its worth man. If i have time I'll snaps some pictures for you..

drift freaq
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Griffin for me. Used one before on my RB car was 10 degrees cooler running than the Koyo. I will use a Griffin on my VQ setup.

bigOdom1
06-29-2009, 01:25 AM
had a koyo since 04 no need to ever change it

kiqs
06-29-2009, 01:32 AM

I understand you're a business man so anyone who doesn't post that mishimotor radiators are the bomb you will have something to say about your warranties.

But my rebuttle is Kia offers damn near lifetime warranties on their cars, how many guys here own a KIA?

Just because you offer a lifetime warranty doesn't mean that you will get my or other peoples business, even if you pay for the radiator if I lose my job or I can return it no charge.

People have personal preferences, and sometimes stick to brand names they know.

I have a no name radiator in my car not ebay, not koyo, not mishmoto, not griffin, or lex whatever. Just a big motherfucking radiator that does the job and fits under my hood.

When it breaks, I will probably have a specialty radiator shop build me a radiator with a built in shroud and fans that mounts to my stock grounding locations so it doesn't bolt to my upper radiator support.

Which I can't currently buy from you, or koyo.

We all have different needs was my point.

Your first point and your second point both go i different directions. the first is like its implying "just get any it doesnt matter" but your second point goes at it in a different approach. and the way mishimoto responded is a valid response to your firsts post.

Homer_Simpson
07-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Here's some pictures as promised. This is an S14 Mishimoto radiator, S14 SR OEM fan shroud, and S13 fan clutch. The OEM AC fans was also mounted.

Absolutely no trimming was involved, although I did have to move the aluminum dryer canister for the AC a few inches up. Luckily there's already a threaded hole at that new position so the move was fairly painless.

I've been beating on this thing for over half a year now with this radiator and in the last couple months in the burning Texas heat with no problem so far.

I honestly don't think that the S13 SR radiator is any different to fit than mine. Please don't give me flak about how my cold pipe is touching the shroud, its a temporary solution.

mishimoto
07-06-2009, 10:34 AM
^Thanks for posting up those pictures!

azndummie
10-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Mishimoto definitely has an amazing warranty, this will, in my opinion yield more customers going in their direction. Hopefully this warranty stays true for the life of the company because many bigger companies that have grow from their small business status' have neglected customer services and just worry about making money.

240sxxs
10-17-2009, 10:51 PM
i would go with koyo.....my friend had problem with mitshimoto before...

Mangudai
10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Here's some pictures as promised. This is an S14 Mishimoto radiator, S14 SR OEM fan shroud, and S13 fan clutch. The OEM AC fans was also mounted.

Absolutely no trimming was involved, although I did have to move the aluminum dryer canister for the AC a few inches up. Luckily there's already a threaded hole at that new position so the move was fairly painless.

I've been beating on this thing for over half a year now with this radiator and in the last couple months in the burning Texas heat with no problem so far.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Y52Xj2gQPDM/SlEkoip8ulI/AAAAAAAAC_g/Q1r9grTX3e0/s512/IMGP0623.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Y52Xj2gQPDM/SlEkpA4QAhI/AAAAAAAAC_k/87KVhSx-Ri4/s400/IMGP0624.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Y52Xj2gQPDM/SlEkpp5Si2I/AAAAAAAAC_o/oXJsile1kQw/s512/IMGP0625.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Y52Xj2gQPDM/SlEkqfPSI2I/AAAAAAAAC_s/LKjv17uxCKo/s512/IMGP0626.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Y52Xj2gQPDM/SlEkq0VWwJI/AAAAAAAAC_w/vHIJyqQUZpU/s512/IMGP0627.JPG

I honestly don't think that the S13 SR radiator is any different to fit than mine. Please don't give me flak about how my cold pipe is touching the shroud, its a temporary solution.

Forgot to thank you for the pics. Mine fits just like yours except I have to do some trimming to get the hole on the top right to line up with the stock fan shroud but that's probably because of my car. Very happy with the rad so far.

Homer_Simpson
10-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Forgot to thank you for the pics. Mine fits just like yours except I have to do some trimming to get the hole on the top right to line up with the stock fan shroud but that's probably because of my car. Very happy with the rad so far.
:bigok: glad I can help.

ST(I)mpreza
01-05-2012, 05:08 AM
I ran a Koyo on my s14 w/ s13 redtop-T28 and it always ran cool and nice, now I got a KA-T and Im in the market for one again, im gonna give mishimoto a shot...

SLiDe_WaYz
01-05-2012, 06:09 AM
Get a Koyo, I had a mishimoto and had nothing but problems, yes they warrantied it but all 3 times it came with dents, holes, dings from shipping and leaked.

I'm using a ISIS now with there E fans and fan shroud now. Works great for me.

DallasTXjdm
01-05-2012, 06:51 AM
I have a Koyo on my S14 and it works like a champ. No fitment or leak issues.

01-13-2012, 08:14 PM
just picked up a used koyo today looking foward to it didnt know a bout mishimotos policys tho its deff an option for my z32 now

Pinggg
01-14-2012, 08:17 PM
koyo! end of story.

01-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Both are solid pieces but customer service wins this one. Mishimoto!

str84dapokie
01-28-2012, 10:13 PM
random addition... be sure to keep the receipt for the mishimoto rad cus they will not repair or replace under warranty unless you have it... i learned the hard way :(
i'm going with a koyo for my next one...
but the mishimoto held up good i guess (rb20 w/ 300hp)

i ran a koyo in my stock s14 with just water and it ran great

Jersthecool
01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Picked up a mishimoto from enjuku a couple weeks ago I'm gonna install it once my engine is back in but the build quality seems great. I've heard many good things about mishimoto and koyo so I just decided to get the cheaper option.

Initial_R90
06-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I've had both on my LS1 s-13 the Spal fan ate my koyo and the M worked out fine

1fastser
03-20-2014, 04:13 PM

Is this still true today?

K_style
04-02-2014, 06:21 AM
Is this still true today?

And you decided to bump 2 years old thread for that question?
You could have contact Mishimoto directly for that.

thedeadking
04-02-2014, 07:00 AM
And you decided to bump 2 years old thread for that question?
You could have contact Mishimoto directly for that.

True. But at least he didn't make a new separate thread asking his question.

supersayianjim
04-02-2014, 07:25 AM
so not speaking for an sr. but I had a z32tt and I ponied up the extra coin for a koyo for that car. and it did it's job. any a.im radiator is better than an oem copper unit.

I use cx racing radiators for my current cars.

-1jz sc400
-s13/rb25 swap

they keep temps consistently low excellent price and no leaks.

only thing you have to change is the drain-cock. other than that a solid purchase and a solid product!!

Nissan2nr22
12-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Lets be real people, koyo.

itsjustdaphne
12-09-2016, 08:06 PM
One time I had to last minute order a radiator for my daily and got an ebay one after I got a hole in the mishi. The ebay one, side by side, was the same exact unit. Literally everything looked identical.

feito
12-09-2016, 08:55 PM
^wouldnt doubt it. Just like cheap coilovers: they're all the same, just different colors and names xD

supersayianjim
12-10-2016, 06:31 AM
cx racing works just fine for me!!!

Nissan2nr22
12-12-2016, 06:55 AM
cx racing works just fine for me!!!

im sure it works fine for now but when you beat on a car you cant compare ebay products/welds and metal quality vs koyo quality, even wear and tear, i doubt youd recognize your cx racing in two years after pulling it out lol

ARC240
01-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Without question, Koyo is the better rad out of the bunch imo. I've put Koyos in more cars than I can count, my own included, and have never had a single problem of any kind pertaining to quality, leaks or cooling on street or track. If I couldn't find the right Koyo aluminum to fit an application, I've used C&R (USA) and ARC (JP), all are top-quality products, fit and function incredibly well.

While it's true that anything will work, it depends on how well your application needs the radiator to work and how reliable it really needs to be.

RHD*bro
01-08-2017, 09:27 PM
Koyo all the way u can't beat quality

Loogah
03-05-2017, 07:26 PM
mishimoto quality has gone up quite a bit in the last 3 years. the days of cracked end tanks seem to be gone.

cespana
03-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Mishimoto....they include you the Radiator Cap

Nissan2nr22
03-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Cant beat the mishimoto warranty, cant beat the koyo quality.

fitbmx180
10-01-2018, 06:59 PM
i had an issue with my one mishimoto, they replaced it no problem! customer service was great

supersayianjim
10-02-2018, 08:44 PM
I run ebay aluminum radiators on all 3 of my cars and no issues, maybe swap out every 2 years if no damaged fins or owner error.:werd: