PDA

View Full Version : electrical... fuel pump fuse and light fuse blowing out

swodell1
06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
so heres the deal...
My car got hit, but the motor was good so I decided to buy another chassis to put the motor in. I bought a chassis from Rinthal, but apparently that car had some electrical issue that would cause it to cut off when driving and had problems starting. Hoping to not have that problem, I went ahead and put my engine AND my engine harness from my well-running car into this chassis. The engine, harness, and car are all from and for a 1990 single cam.

I got everything hooked up and ready to go, but now the fuel pump fuse and the interior lights/tail light fuse both keep blowing out when I crank the car over.

Any suggestions on what it might be? I looked through all the wiring, but did not catch anything.

thanks

DALAZ_68
06-03-2009, 12:05 PM
check the cars body harness...maybe the previous owner or owner prior to him did janky wiring...

swodell1
06-03-2009, 12:23 PM
are there any wires or connections in particular that would cause this? the body harness goes all over the place

kuruptR
06-03-2009, 12:34 PM
so heres the deal...
My car got hit, but the motor was good so I decided to buy another chassis to put the motor in. I bought a chassis from Rinthal, but apparently that car had some electrical issue that would cause it to cut off when driving and had problems starting. Hoping to not have that problem, I went ahead and put my engine AND my engine harness from my well-running car into this chassis. The engine, harness, and car are all from and for a 1990 single cam.

I got everything hooked up and ready to go, but now the fuel pump fuse and the interior lights/tail light fuse both keep blowing out when I crank the car over.

Any suggestions on what it might be? I looked through all the wiring, but did not catch anything.

thanks

By interior you mean, gauge cluster illumination and deck illumination only. Because that is on the same fuse "taillight"

My guess for this problem is the chassis harness grounding out from being damaged. I had this happen to me, when I installed a JDM rear bumper with license plate lights in it, they were cut and grounding out, blowing my fuse.

Solution: Just remove all the light units and check the wiring behind them. It may even be the Deck, check there first unplug the deck then do some testing.

jmac636
06-03-2009, 01:57 PM
If you don't have an ohm meter buy a bunch of fuses and start disconnecting things till to figure out were the short source is. I would disconnect the fuel pump at the fuel pump itself, then check to see if it blows fuse. Then like others said start at the tail lights. Hell, remove the light bulbs also. I've heard of light bulbs causing shorts.

I actually just fixed a bad short in a nissan d21 hardbody truck. It ended up being the radio harness grounding out blowing the brake light fuse and dash illumnation.