PDA

View Full Version : Test Dive-New Evo

hookedup240
04-04-2003, 11:19 AM
Yea well my friend works at a mitsu dealer, and yesterday i received a call from him saying they got a couple evo's in and for me to come and check them out. They look good, the carbon fiber spoiler matches the rest of the car and doesn't look to bad. I really like the interior, especially the seats very supportive sport seats and also carbon fiber dash.

Well anyway I was able to test drive it, all i can say is that it is really fast, very responsive, pretty easy to drive. Having never driven a 4wd car b4, it was different for me. I really couldn't get on it too much because there was a salesman in the car with me.

But overall i liked it, even though i would never buy it its still a fun car to drive. If i missed anything you want to know just ask.

Total msrp was 30,000

Bbandit
04-04-2003, 11:35 AM
i would rather have the '04 sti than evo...
sti has a better body design IMO
dont know about the interior though..
did you took any pics hookedup?

hookedup240
04-04-2003, 11:39 AM
no but i should have, didn't even think to bring my digital camera, maybe i'll go back tomorrow or something.

KiDyNomiTe
04-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Bbandit
i would rather have the '04 sti than evo...
sti has a better body design IMO
dont know about the interior though..
did you took any pics hookedup?

that and the evo doesn't have any lsds, or at least not the good JDM ones (I think), but they're both turbo AWD sedans.
But STi is 2.5L.

Whats the STi boosting at, i heard EVO is at like 14psi stock

sykikchimp
04-04-2003, 03:20 PM
The evo has 3 lsds.. it is missing the Active center differential which is computer controlled.. I believe the replaced it with a helical unit.

anyways.. I went and looked at them, and the sales guy told me I had to:

1: be preapproved to buy it
2. watch a video on Driver safety, and operation of the EVO
3 Not run it of 4000rpm b/c apparently the ECU monitors that for the first (whatever the breakin mileage is) miles, and if I went Over 4000k during break in, the warranty would be voided..

now thats some chit....

DefiantGSR
04-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by sykikchimp

hahahahahahahaha

hookedup240
04-04-2003, 03:47 PM
The evo has 3 lsds.. it is missing the Active center differential which is computer controlled.. I believe the replaced it with a helical unit.

3 Not run it of 4000rpm b/c apparently the ECU monitors that for the first (whatever the breakin mileage is) miles, and if I went Over 4000k during break in, the warranty would be voided..

now thats some chit....

They said you have to do all that to test drive it??

Bbandit
04-04-2003, 04:07 PM

now thats some chit....

mmm.. too much commitment for such a car...
might as well get the used ones a couple of years later... hahaha

-E-
04-04-2003, 04:59 PM

now thats some chit....

wtf kinda shi t is that :mad:

Jsquared
04-04-2003, 10:37 PM
it's the kind of chit needed to make sure rich imbeciles don't break all of them

whateverjames
04-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Hrrmmm. What if you bought a brand new Evo in the winter, got kinda stuck in the snow and accidentally hit 4k? I wonder if it can tell how long it when over 4k, and the throttle position. But 7k rpm at 100% throttle won't get you out of the snow, of course ;) That would be kind of obvious.

My cousin used to work at a Mitsu dealer. I was looking forward to test driving this car. BUT, he got fired for street racing an Eclipse GTS he took out. Bastard. His boss caught him.

Jsquared
04-05-2003, 09:05 PM
you mean Eclipse GS-T?

and yes, the ECU can probably tell them how far over 4k and for how long. BMW's E46 M3's computer keeps a 30-second flash memory so that if the engine fails, the technicians can see everything that went on in the engine for the 30 seconds before the engine stopped working (this is how they found out about a guy revving it to 9k :eek: )

whateverjames
04-05-2003, 09:12 PM
nope, i meant the GTS :) the v6 one.

9000 rpm, that'll do it. :eek:

sykikchimp
04-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by hookedup240
They said you have to do all that to test drive it??

yes...

I said.. "Beautiful car, but you can keep it.." and left.

blatch
04-07-2003, 03:50 PM
My friend gets the first Evo in town in three days. He's been obessed with Evo's since the Evo VI came out.

drift into a curb
04-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by DefiantGSR

hahahahahahahaha

You laugh, but I think it's pretty serious when it comes to people that are buying these cars because they think awd drive cars are safe, but don't know anything else about the high performance car characteristics.

KiDyNomiTe
04-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by blatch
My friend gets the first Evo in town in three days. He's been obessed with Evo's since the Evo VI came out.

A friend, sorta kinda, haven't really seen him in a while got an EVO a week ago I believe. Only problem is he don't know how to drive stick, but his dad is making sure he don't drive it anywhere so its all good I guess. I wish I were rich, so I could wait and get an STi :D

nice car though, havent seen it on the streets yet though.

sykikchimp
04-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by drift into a curb
You laugh, but I think it's pretty serious when it comes to people that are buying these cars because they think awd drive cars are safe, but don't know anything else about the high performance car characteristics.

Maybe if I bring in my NASA log book they will let me drive it without the video?? lol

drift into a curb
04-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Nope you would still have to watch the video haha

hookedup240
04-07-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by KiDyNomiTe
A friend, sorta kinda, haven't really seen him in a while got an EVO a week ago I believe. Only problem is he don't know how to drive stick, but his dad is making sure he don't drive it anywhere so its all good I guess. I wish I were rich, so I could wait and get an STi :D

nice car though, havent seen it on the streets yet though.

If i was rich, i would not get an evo or sti there would be alot of other cars i would get b4 both of them.

NZO
04-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Like what?

Wiisass
04-08-2003, 02:50 AM
i tried to go and test drive the evo over my spring break, but i found out they weren't getting them until 2 weeks after i came back to school. But i ended up talking to the salesmen for a little about it and usually i would've just left after i found out they didn't have, but being only 20 and going into a car dealership to ask to drive a new car especially in my area they're usually pricks and say bring back your parents. But this time i got treated like a real person. So i ended up talking a little more, i watched the sales video for it, which ended up being like the employee training video explaining everything the evo comes with so i got all the info straight from the horses mouth. but they didn't have the car so i left my info and since then (less than a month ago), the salesman has called me twice about the car. i'm hoping when i finally get back there in may there's one there already broken in and i can really test drive the car, i don't mean be an a-hole driver, just actually get to drive it a little harder.

Oh and btw, IIRC, the evo has a rear mechanical 1.5 way lsd with a center viscous lsd and the front is open. I'm just about positive about this.

Tim

adey
04-08-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by NZO
Like what?
Try FD3s, BMW M Coupe, another S13 hatch, AE86, ***ss*d* (top secret project car), FC3S TII, etc... :D

blatch
04-08-2003, 08:37 AM
I'd rather have an Evo than an Rx-7. More potential.

hookedup240
04-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by NZO
Like what?

Like what, there are a lot of cars that i would get b4 an evo. Just to name a few

M3, M5, 745i, g35c, viper, any porche (except boxter), z06, skyline, escalade, lightning,etc...

some might not be as fast as evo but still cars i get b4 an evo.

KiDyNomiTe
04-08-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by adey
Try FD3s, BMW M Coupe, another S13 hatch, AE86, ***ss*d* (top secret project car), FC3S TII, etc... :D

If i became rich now, my choices would be like that. But if I was rich from the start, my choices would not be old cars. I would prolly drive brand new mercedes and bmws, and prolly not do anything to them, and just have them for show.

I also prolly would have become a ricer after watching fnf, but that is just the truth.

Now that I know I am poor I aimed for this S13, so here I am.

Money would change a lot of things, so not all of you can say that you would buy a 240 and go crazy with it.

Jsquared
04-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Try FD3s, BMW M Coupe, another S13 hatch, AE86, ***ss*d* (top secret project car), FC3S TII, etc...
Cressida? :D

sykikchimp
04-08-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Wiisass
Oh and btw, IIRC, the evo has a rear mechanical 1.5 way lsd with a center viscous lsd and the front is open. I'm just about positive about this.

Tim

you are correct..

from SCC:
The all-wheel-drive system uses a viscous-coupling center differential a 1.5-way clutch type rear diff, and an open front diff. The Active Center Differential and Active Yaw Control of the EVO VII won't be available in the U.S. The hydraulic controls to run those two systems occupy the same space as the U.S. evaporative emissions system.

whateverjames
04-08-2003, 07:56 PM
why don't they put an LSD up front? :confused: Subaru did the same thing didn't they?

sykikchimp
04-08-2003, 08:00 PM
cause they get a kick out of watchin people do three-wheeler peelers.. BASTARDS!!

KiDyNomiTe
04-08-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by whateverjames
why don't they put an LSD up front? :confused: Subaru did the same thing didn't they?

I thought the sti had em all, also I heard that they had a new one from subaru, forget where I heard it, but anyone know for sure?