PDA

View Full Version : AnyBody work at Best buy?!!!! fosgate vs alpine

punghouse
06-02-2009, 12:14 AM
just need some help comparing prices to ebay if you check employee pricing it be greatly appreciated

sku#
just some alpine and fosgate stuff

Btw how do they alpine v power mono amp (m1000) compare to the rockford fosgate p1000-1bd amp

theronin
06-02-2009, 01:20 AM
does this look like a stereo forum?

ronmcdon
06-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I use this site for car audio info.
I'm sure there are others;

CarAudioForum.com - The WWW Car Audio Forum (http://www.caraudioforum.com/)

Haven't had experience with the RF mono amps,
but I am using one of their 4-channel and I'm happy with it.

punghouse
06-02-2009, 12:09 PM
does this look like a stereo forum?
doode its in "off topic chat" stop trippin

hOngsterr
06-02-2009, 01:04 PM
lol,
go with a alpine headunit!

BustedS13
06-02-2009, 01:59 PM
this just became my soapbox

Alpine head units suck.
Rockford head units suck (DUH)
Pioneer head units are boss.

Rockford amps are fine entry level amps. Alpine amps are fine amps.
I prefer Phoenix Gold. they are godlike. for cheap power, I honestly recommend looking into Hifonics.

Alpine mids and subwoofers are awesome. Rockford mids are not. Rockford subs are fine entry level subs.
All said and done, my preference is Diamond for subwoofers. I do like Alpine for mids, as well as MB Quart.

zenki.life
06-02-2009, 02:22 PM
i would have to disagree with busted. Alpine has very durable, great sounding head units. i personally think pioneer sucks. i have the Alpine idax100 and absolutely enjoy the sound and look of the unit.

WIKID S4TEEN
06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
just need some help comparing prices to ebay if you check employee pricing it be greatly appreciated

sku#
just some alpine and fosgate stuff

Btw how do they alpine v power mono amp (m1000) compare to the rockford fosgate p1000-1bd amp

Where in Cali are you? Are you in LA?

lucky7
06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
alpine head units look like utter shit, IMO. and i have one... i wish someone would make a decent head unit that didnt blink and light up 50 million colors, wasnt silver, and overall wasnt a PITA to try to use.

im contemplating picking up a blaupunkt kewest MP38 for the E30. not because of the brand or quality or anything. but simply for the fact that its cheap, doesnt look freaking stupid, and i can make the lighting amber to match the rest of my interior.

other than that stuff, being a guy that pays no attention to in car entertainment stuff. i've always assumed that if you buy alpine, you cant go wrong. hmmm, this is kind of interesting. kind of. :D

Sil-Abc
06-02-2009, 02:46 PM
i gotta disagree with busted as well. Ive dealt with a wide range of headunits, amps and subs and from what ive learned and researched, alpine units are reliable and offer decent power outputs for the price. Another one i would recommend would be eclipse since its similar to alpines except they have a lifetime warranty that covers theft. So if ANYONE steals ur deck, they give u another one for free (sometimes an upgraded one too).

As for the amps you're lookin at, what are u hooking it up to? 1000 RMS is quite alot of power but it could be a waste if u dont use it effectively. Thinking of a JL 12W7? With the amps i would go with the alpine but honestly im assuming ur setup doesnt require that much power. Also the alpine has an output of 1000 at 2 ohms whereas the RF is 1000 at 1 ohm (most setups are 2 or 4 ohms) so when u hook it up ull only end up with 500W at 2 ohms.

Just to mention, busted is right also because pioneer units are good but only the higher end ones. The lower tier pioneer units have some issues from constant heat torture but the higher end units are better built BUT if u get the touch screen ones, the motors get stuck or go out. Alpines units also have some problems too, after 2-3 years the CD gets stuck in the deck and ull have trouble ejecting it but they have a long running life though.

Honestly what r u looking for, looks or functionality? If its looks go away from alpine, but if u want consistent power, higher rms power outputs, and extras go with the alpine.

BustedS13
06-02-2009, 03:18 PM
i have owned a total of three head units in the last 9 years. one pioneer for six years, one Clarion for three months, and then my current pioneer for the remainder.
i have never had a single issue with either Pioneer. they are both simple to use and clean in appearance.
and if you use an internal amp to power your speakers, you're doing it wrong.

anyway we're all biased because that's what we own :(

punghouse
06-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Where in Cali are you? Are you in LA?
yea around La

this just became my soapbox

Alpine head units suck.
Rockford head units suck (DUH)
Pioneer head units are boss.

Rockford amps are fine entry level amps. Alpine amps are fine amps.
I prefer Phoenix Gold. they are godlike. for cheap power, I honestly recommend looking into Hifonics.

Alpine mids and subwoofers are awesome. Rockford mids are not. Rockford subs are fine entry level subs.
All said and done, my preference is Diamond for subwoofers. I do like Alpine for mids, as well as MB Quart.

Im in the process of purchasing alpine typeS or typer R componets, and considering the new alpine double din

alpine head units look like utter shit, IMO. .
totally agree thats why im tying to get the double dn it looks pretty decent

punghouse
06-02-2009, 03:36 PM
As for the amps you're lookin at, what are u hooking it up to? 1000 RMS is quite alot of power but it could be a waste if u dont use it effectively. Thinking of a JL 12W7? With the amps i would go with the alpine but honestly im assuming ur setup doesnt require that much power. Also the alpine has an output of 1000 at 2 ohms whereas the RF is 1000 at 1 ohm (most setups are 2 or 4 ohms) so when u hook it up ull only end up with 500W at 2 ohms.

Honestly what r u looking for, looks or functionality? If its looks go away from alpine, but if u want consistent power, higher rms power outputs, and extras go with the alpine.

Well i have 2 brand new 12" type r's in the garage i was going to just go with one but might just go with 2 because I got it, and they are not worth much if i try to sell the extra one. I have installed maybe 10 to 15 set up witht the type r subs and they all sound great (few years ago when I managed the Road shop) so i never heard what the new fosgate amps can do. mainly looking for funtionality and sound quality and "prefer" to keep everything alpine

punghouse
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM
the subs are dual 4 ohm, so if i go with one im obviously goin to set it up 2 ohms.
if i go with 2 subs then... I figure fosgate amp and drop it down to 1 ohm (parallel/ parallel)
from my expireince these type r are extremly power hungry. plus they handle 500 rms (each sub) no problem

ronmcdon
06-02-2009, 04:26 PM
speaking of pioneer HU's they are pretty subtle looking, agreed.
I wonder how much the SQ is effected by the actual HU, if you're planning to use a sound processor anyways.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/09/retrosound.jpg

druthafoo
06-02-2009, 04:30 PM
speaking of pioneer HU's they are pretty subtle looking, agreed.
I wonder how much the SQ is effected by the actual HU, if you're planning to use a sound processor anyways.

http://retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/06/09/retrosound.jpg
Very much. Especially if you're using CDs still.

If youre still looking at HUs, look into Eclipse as well.

Alpine > RF in HUs too. But Pioneer PREMIER is the way to go.

Hell if you want OEM lookin get a Nakamichi.

mRclARK1
06-02-2009, 05:09 PM
A real man's car stereo doesn't require an amp, a HU or even speakers, only an exhaust and sometimes a turbo and BOV and it only plays 5 or 6 tracks. Some models play 4 or 7.

:keke:

punghouse
06-02-2009, 10:18 PM
A real man's car stereo doesn't require an amp, a HU or even speakers, only an exhaust and sometimes a turbo and BOV and it only plays 5 or 6 tracks. Some models play 4 or 7.

:keke:
lol i was thinkin wtf the started craking up

Sil-Abc
06-02-2009, 10:21 PM
o i just remembered when i worked at good guys, we had a rockford display setup and it was good with power but it had a tendency to overheat and shutdown. The alpine never overheated but did get hot as hell like all amps do. The rockford we had on display couldve been a faulty one or design error but this was like 5 years ago so im not sure if thats relevant.

upsdude
06-02-2009, 10:45 PM
i have an alpine ida-x305...maybe it's because it's the first ipod integrated headunit i've owned...but i love it. i also have the bluetooth adapter, just have to install it. :shrug:

ronmcdon
06-02-2009, 11:34 PM
Very much. Especially if you're using CDs still.

If youre still looking at HUs, look into Eclipse as well.

Alpine > RF in HUs too. But Pioneer PREMIER is the way to go.

Hell if you want OEM lookin get a Nakamichi.

I rarely listen to CD's anymore.
Use mostly higher bit rate Mp3 & ALAC's from my i-pod.

I wouldn't mind looking at some of the Premier HU's, when the time comes to buy.
I have an alpine 9886 right now on my nissan.
SQ is okay, but the interface & controls are frustrating.

On my other car, I am planning to get an entire setup later this year.
just wondering what things I should splurge & what to skimp.
I figure maybe best to spend more on a good set of speakers and amp instead of a HU.

Looks wise, I like the McIntosh HU the most.
That Pioneer 'Retro Sound' HU is nice looking as well.

http://belfast.gumtree.com/posting_images/36/36806836__1238154534__1__1-4b23fc6988653746610d7d0d6b6cc59f.__big__.jpg

ronmcdon
06-02-2009, 11:37 PM
i have an alpine ida-x305...maybe it's because it's the first ipod integrated headunit i've owned...but i love it. i also have the bluetooth adapter, just have to install it. :shrug:

how does that work?
is the UI exactly as is the i-pod?

I have a pos 9886, and the user interface is annoying as hell.
I've probably punched that thing x100 in fits of frustration.

druthafoo
06-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I rarely listen to CD's anymore.
Use mostly higher bit rate Mp3 & ALAC's from my i-pod.

I wouldn't mind looking at some of the Premier HU's, when the time comes to buy.
I have an alpine 9886 right now on my nissan.
SQ is okay, but the interface & controls are frustrating.

On my other car, I am planning to get an entire setup later this year.
just wondering what things I should splurge & what to skimp.
I figure maybe best to spend more on a good set of speakers and amp instead of a HU.

Looks wise, I like the McIntosh HU the most.
That Pioneer 'Retro Sound' HU is nice looking as well.

http://belfast.gumtree.com/posting_images/36/36806836__1238154534__1__1-4b23fc6988653746610d7d0d6b6cc59f.__big__.jpg
Remember. Install > equipment.

If you need help picking out goodies, PM me.
McIntosh is damn sexy equipment too.

WIKID S4TEEN
06-03-2009, 07:39 AM
yea around La

Dude hit up 11th Street in downtown for cheap car audio.
I've been picking up all my car audio equipment there for over 15 yrs.
The biggest score was a PPI amp for $450.
Same amp on the internet was for $600,
a retailer had it for $875!
PM me for more details.

86is300
06-03-2009, 07:52 AM
haha i work at bestbuy, ill check the skus anyway. i like the alpine stuff personally, well speaker wise. Headunits are shitty. But my IS300 runs a m500 amp and type r 10, and shit hits hard.... better thank my boys p2 punch.

My other friend there does competitions, runs 2 m500 and 2 type r 12s in a custom box. Hits hard as fukk... my 2 cents

Tearlessj
06-03-2009, 02:32 PM
I didnt really read the thread but,

Alpine, Pioneer, and eclipse HU are all good.
RF only makes good amps.

Bottom line, If you want good stuff.

HU = Alpine, Pioneer, and Eclipse
Amp = Kicker, RF
Subs= Nothing from Bestbuy (Maybe the Alpine type R)

Of course there is better shit, but no one would really know what im talking about.

hOngsterr
06-05-2009, 02:09 AM
shit,

alpine headunits FTW and
sub's 15 inch square kicker lol. forgot its name
and amp's idks
lol

upsdude
06-05-2009, 11:38 PM
how does that work?
is the UI exactly as is the i-pod?

I have a pos 9886, and the user interface is annoying as hell.
I've probably punched that thing x100 in fits of frustration.

yeah if you have album art it displays it on the screen. the h/u is not without it's faults..especially the iphone. but according to the alpine customer service guy it's due to the firmware :shrug: i know a guy that works at a stereo shop so i was able to get it for cost, so i figured why not? :) i've heard the pioneer units that were pretty nice too but i went with the alpine set up since i got a good deal on it.

kandyflip445
06-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Never had any trouble with my Alpine decks. Eclipse IS great. I like both.

Why can't you check the SKU's yourself for the discount. I think there is an accomodations on the alpine stuff. Haven't checked in awhile though.