PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise after installing motor mount (not vibration)

Solidus311
05-29-2009, 09:33 PM
s13, rb25det, r33 crossmember, stock mounting position (Sits farther back in the bay, had to hammer the trans tunnel to fit rb trans)

Notice in the title I put motor mount. That's right I only replaced one because one of my ebay solid mounts broke while torquing it down. Now my buddy may of went a little over board. But you can tell by looking at the bolts themselves, that they are low quality.

Anyway, with one installed (driver side) the motor seemed solid as a rock and I expected the vibration or whatever. But my noise is different, I can only compare it to the transmissions in rally cars. A dogbox? The trans was pretty loud to begin with, in first and second mostly. But now it's ridiculously loud in all gears. Could it just be vibrating against the trans tunnel?

Also installed an oil catchcan, but I'm about 99.9% sure that has nothing to do with anything.

EDIT:

After only 14 views (in the middle of the night) and hours of scouring the web I came across an article about solid rear subframe bushings. His feedback?

"There is an added cool gear noise which I dig, and sound similar to that in-cabin noise you hear in stripped rally cars."

So maybe this normal, if anyone can add to this I would greatly appreciate it.