PDA

View Full Version : Can I really build a PC cheaper?

exitspeed
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah I know there's been other threads about building PC's.

But I'm looking around and PC's are soon damn powerful and cheap nowadays.

Best Buy has a mudda fuckin HP with Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor E5200, 6GB DDR2 SDRAM, DL DVD±RW/CD-RW drive, LightScribe, 640GB hard drive, Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3100, media reader, wireless LAN (802.11b/g) and Windows Vista Home Premium with SP1,
19" widescreen flat-panel LCD monitor with ultrafast 5 ms response time, 1000:1 contrast ratio, Quick View modes and built-in speakers; unique stand with keyboard parking space for $520!

Can I really build a PC cheaper with a monitor?

Here's my plan. Down the road I want to get Windows Home Server and have all my shit on there to access. I have 2 laptops that we use around the house and I want to get two desktops for our home office.

The only disadvantages I can see with buying a prepacked desktop is 1) it's not as easily upgradable, and 2) if I'm running WHS with at lease 1.5tb the 640gb HD that the HP comes with is useless almost.

blaze
05-27-2009, 02:20 PM
of course id say custom built.

that computer definitely sounds like a good deal, but motherboards that come in prebuilt computers usually suck. and like you mentioned that upgrades will be limited as well as the 640gb hard drive will be useless since you want a 1.5tb hard drive.

since you want to make it into a server does buying a lcd monitor really matter? (unless you already have one) since it will be just sitting there and not used like a regular desktop.

can you list the parts that you need and already have so we can possibly find you some good deals and further determine if custom or prebuilt is the way to go.

Matej
05-27-2009, 02:25 PM
That is what I have been saying for a few years.

You can find such good deals on new setups that will perform anything you want them for that it is not worth it to build a brand new PC from scratch anymore.

Of course some people will chime in that they do it for the sake of having a custom computer, but as much as I like building computers, it's not worth it to me. PC technology becomes obsolete very quickly anyway, so it's not like you can't upgrade and customize it later on according to your wants or needs.

exitspeed
05-27-2009, 02:38 PM
of course id say custom built.

that computer definitely sounds like a good deal, but motherboards that come in prebuilt computers usually suck. and like you mentioned that upgrades will be limited as well as the 640gb hard drive will be useless since you want a 1.5tb hard drive.

since you want to make it into a server does buying a lcd monitor really matter? (unless you already have one) since it will be just sitting there and not used like a regular desktop.

can you list the parts that you need and already have so we can possibly find you some good deals and further determine if custom or prebuilt is the way to go.

I will have a separate dedicated tower for the server. The Desktops will be for me and my wife to work on.

ronmcdon
05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
what do you mean that you "want to have all your shit there to access"?
I'm just trying to more specifically determine your objectives and requirements.

could be that you don't even need a PC at all, and can make use with a large external HD.

That aside, HP is one of the few companies I'd stay far away from.
I've nothing but bad luck with their desktops and printers.
something always breaks and its a pita to get the to cover anything.
Our company bought an HP desktop a month ago, and the HD already needs to be replaced.

Ditto with the 'Best Buy' warranty service.
Once took me 2 months to get a HD replaced, despite constant follow-ups.
If you have to get the HP computer from Best Buy, don't waste any $$$ on their service plans.

with regards to building your own PC, yea I agree the value isn't really that noticeable unless you're building a more fancy setup with a larger budget.
I'd look into what type of mother-board is used at the very least for the sake of long term expandability.

WanganRunner
05-27-2009, 02:57 PM
What does the MB in the HP look like in regards to expandability? Sometimes PC's from the big companies, especially models intended for corporate use, come with really wacky mobos.

But I mean, if you just want a PC and you don't care about a bunch of esoteric shit like Dual SLI or whatever, then buy the HP.

Generally, when people say that a mainline-brand PC is "crap", it can mean one of several things:

-Shit on it is proprietary (a la mb, or case), so expandability sucks
-It has crappy components (i.e. slow HDDs or whatever)
-The power supply is underpowered or of crappy quality

Obviously, the latter two of these things are easily remedied, just install better shit later when you want to expand. E-Machines used to be notorious for underpowering their desktops so if people wanted to run big video cards they'd have to upgrade the PSU, but so what?

It's cheaper to scratch-build if you have some specific esoteric set of demands, but otherwise just buy the HP (or whatever) and do shit to it later.

This, of course, ignores the fact that for some of us, it's fun to build a PC. Of course, I haven't built one since like 2003, nor have I really PC gamed since then, so I need to acquaint myself with some of this new shit.

Ithical
05-27-2009, 03:08 PM
What i'm confused on is, why make a home server? Just to share stuff between you and your wife? If so just make a peer-to-peer network and throw all the stuff you download or whatever into a shared folder and you're set.

Also, you have 2 laptops, why get 2 desktops? Not really sure on that one either, why waste the money?

Lastly, just get a external hd for stuff you wanna backup, again wasting money.

blaze
05-27-2009, 03:17 PM
well i just made a quick pc build on newegg and unfortunately building a comparable pc is more expensive that the HP you posted.($100 for the OS alone.....)

so i guess if hardware upgrades are not going to be drastic than the HP will be a fine computer.

TheWolf
05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Have you considered a NAS?

I have a 2TB bitch box running FreeNAS with a JBOD setup. For storage and streaming it's perfect.

as to the quality of prebuilt computers most do come with slow as balls harddrives and underpowered power supplies. My emachine HD is the slowest HD in my whole setup. It's one of the newer ones as well. It's slower than the WD 120gb drive I bought like 5 years ago. Nothing on that HP is considered "server" grade.

WanganRunner
05-27-2009, 03:21 PM
($100 for the OS alone.....)

I LOL'd at this

Ithical
05-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I LOL'd at this

what's the problem? SOME people would actually like to have a GENUINE windows.

murda-c
05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
i think for a bottom of the barrel computer you aren't gonna notice a diffrence between the prebuilt ones and building one, but the price of a good rig goes up a lot faster when it's prebuilt than building one yourself.

exitspeed
05-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Ok to answer some more questions...

By "shit" I mean all my photo's, dvd's, music, and any other files on. I want to be able to access everything from any wired or wireless pc or my 360 anywhere in my house.

Also I'm talking about Windows Home Server so others can also access this info, add media, and so I can access it remotely also.

I have a laptop now that I've had for like 5 years and it's still pretty decent actually. Mu wife has her own laptop but it is mostly used for work.

I need a more powerful desktop for working with Adobe Creative Suite. My laptop does run things well enough but I definitely need something more powerful. My wife needs a desktop with 2gb of ram, so hers will be less expensive. Her current laptop is from one of her employers so she doesn't like to do business for her other employer on it.

The awesome thing about WHS is it backs stuff up for you automatically. That's an important feature to me.

I already have a 500gb external HD. With the server I'd just add 1tb which is the minimum.

moneybags
05-27-2009, 03:53 PM
for the value, I think that's a damn good deal. Although, for 600-700 you can buy a WAAAAY faster computer, but without the monitor, keyboard, etc. The E5200 is pretty slow and 6GB of ram seems a little bit excessive for a computer with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator onboard card.

For $500 you can make a pretty good base computer with a motherboard than can eventually house some faster parts. Macs are decent too, but the problem is that a $600-700 dollar PC would run circles around a $1500 Mac :hide:

blaze
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
exitspeed, do you have any parts that you can use if you do a custom build? or will everything need to be purchased?

since you want to run adobe creative suite, you would probably want a video card. onboard video cant really do the job when it comes to using software like this.

as stated above a custom built computer will allow you to upgrade more effectively without breaking the bank because the base will already have been made. unlike a prebuilt which can have a smaller case as well as a weak psu therefore not allowing a video card upgrade and so forth.

jamg
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
there is a thread somewhere, 'build the best computer for $X,XXX amount of money.

i'll see if i can dig it up

S14DB
05-27-2009, 04:22 PM
I would build a FreeNAS box for media serving. WHS is a pile of herpes. Any NAS should do backups. Samba FTW!

That box you have listed will be slow as balls. Especially with that on board video running a 19" widescreen. Are you doing any video work at all on it or Just photos? Looks nice for surfing the web. I wouldn't do any real work on it. By the time you upgrade it you could have built a nicer box. It may work for your wife if she is just doing MLS and M$ office work.

I could build the Mobo/proc/memory board for $100. DVD burner for $25. Pick a Case and Monitor and I doubt it would be over $300.

aznpoopy
05-27-2009, 04:28 PM
i just built a new computer like 2 months ago, and i was asking myself the same qeustion.

i found the answer to generally be both yes and no. some of the posts above have indicated this without really spelling it out.

the reason i say this is because the components you buy separately will almost always be higher quality than the stuff packed into a dell or hp.

so if you try to copy a dell or hp spec using parts from newegg, the cost will most often be comparable, sometimes even slightly more expensive than the dell. but the diy build will be of superior quality. also, going by spec alone doesn't really take into consideration the expandability of the case, the expandability of the motherboard, the addition of cooling fans for the case, the use of a superior cooling fan, etc.

i guess in 240 terms it would be like a modded car preassembled using all megan parts vs. a car you built from scratch, to identical spec, but with parts you preselected from a variety of quality brands.

05-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I have lost track of how many rigs I have built in the past.

but when you can get a Dell Vostro 220 Mini Tower Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz Desktop (3GB/320GB/Blu-Ray/HD3450) w/ 23in LCD $597.45 + SH well.................

flip3d
05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
E5200 is bleh. You can build a pretty sick Q6600 system for $520 without a monitor

r6_240sx
05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
The only disadvantages I can see with buying a prepacked desktop is 1) it's not as easily upgradable, and 2) if I'm running WHS with at lease 1.5tb the 640gb HD that the HP comes with is useless almost.I think it really depends on what you're shooting for, but here's my opinion on the disadvantages:

1. What are you seriously looking to upgrade in the near future? I for one HAVE NEVER upgraded a CPU/motherboard. If the time comes when I need to do that, it's usually easier to build a new computer... After trying to overclock it, lol. Only thing I can see being upgraded these days for the average user is RAM. Most of the prebuilt computers usually have extra slots anyway, since it comforts the buyer that the computer will last a long time.

If you're a gamer/video editor looking to upgrade to a better video card from a prebuilt computer, forget it. It's easier to build a computer.

2. Just b/c the prebuilt computer only comes with ONE hard drive, that doesn't mean its useless. There's always a slot for another one or even 2. I don't think I've ever seen a prebuilt computer, as of recent, that ONLY has one slot. I for one, never run my OS on the same HDD where my music, videos, etc. are stored on anyway. For my main hard drive I try to focus on speed so size isn't necessarily an issue, and on my other drives that are used for storage its the exact opposite.

If you're planning on running a server setup with that much space (1.5TB), I STRONGLY suggest you run a RAID setup (Edit: Whoops forgot you're running WHS), because that's a lot of data to lose. The bigger these hard drives get, the more prone they are to failing, IMO... Going this route, I would recommend building a computer also. One with a MOBO that has RAID capabilites, lots of HDD slots, RAM with ECC, etc.

Overall, building a computer is just easier b/c you get to build what you want instead of working around someone elses. As for being cheaper? LOL, depends. I know my computers aren't...

The main thing to look into when buying prebuilt computers is the parts quality. HP is notorious for equipping their computers with crappy power supply units, because the average user will never look into that stuff. Same goes for mobo capabilities, slow ass HDD speeds, what not.

Try looking into Barebone (semi-built) computers.

Ceepo
05-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Newegg.com has good pricing and alot of reviews on all there computer products... jsut an idea if you do build one :)

Phlip
05-27-2009, 06:48 PM
He did not ask whether to get a PC versus a Mac, in fact he asked a very specific question.

Next person to take this thread in that direction will be pinked, and I do not like any of you enough to give a fuck who it is.

flip3d
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
He did not ask whether to get a PC versus a Mac, in fact he asked a very specific question.

Next person to take this thread in that direction will be pinked, and I do not like any of you enough to give a fuck who it is.

Why delete my post?

hardforum is a legit place to get cheap PC hardware.

lflkajfj12123
05-27-2009, 07:02 PM
that's nice and i didn't ask for my posts to be deleted

but thanks anyways phillip

exitspeed
05-27-2009, 07:20 PM
Lotta great info in here guys. Thanks.

I don't have a problem spending the slightly more money and building one and having a better rig. If the HP I mentioned isn't going to allow me to run Illustrator, PS, Dreamweaver, a media player, and have the internet open then it's not for me.

Right now I can do all that on my laptop with some moderate slow down but it's still plenty workable.

I haven't purchased anything as of yet so I'm open to anything.

I'm sold on WMS because a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable loves the software and has sold me on it. It also helps having someone near by that knows whats up for trouble shooting, etc.

I won't be playing any games on the pc at all. I have never purchased a PC game and never will.

If I could get away with spending $600-$700 with a monitor I would be happy. Basically I'm just looking for a fast processor and at least 6gb ram. 19" monitor or larger would be ideal. I'd either buy a second monitor right away or I would be adding one soon after.

And yeah the Mac VS PC thing to me is useless. Macs are too expensive IMO. They are great machines but I won't pay the price of admission. It's like paying $100 for a bottle of Grey Goose at the club. Sure I might look like cool drinking it there but it tastes the same as it does when I drink it at home for $50.

fromxtor
05-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Asus GeForce 4TB Barebone Kit - AMD Phenom X4 9500 Retail Processor, 4GB DDR2-667 Kingston Memory, (4 x 1TB) SATA2, ATX Mid-Tower, 650W PSU at TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4492004&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=CgXy1bIDYZM-x_wktZmxEPKkgV62NM_oyQ)

Something like this would rock, i don't think they are selling them right now.

exitspeed
05-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Asus GeForce 4TB Barebone Kit - AMD Phenom X4 9500 Retail Processor, 4GB DDR2-667 Kingston Memory, (4 x 1TB) SATA2, ATX Mid-Tower, 650W PSU at TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4492004&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&AffiliateID=CgXy1bIDYZM-x_wktZmxEPKkgV62NM_oyQ)

Something like this would rock, i don't think they are selling them right now.

That is a little overkill. lol.

Something like this isn't bad though:
MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Barebone Kit - nForce 750a, AMD Phenom X4 9550, 4GB OCZ DDR2-800, 500GB, 9800 GT, Coolermaster Case, 550W PSU at TigerDirect.com (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4639187&csid=_21)

S14DB
05-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Lotta great info in here guys. Thanks.

I don't have a problem spending the slightly more money and building one and having a better rig. If the HP I mentioned isn't going to allow me to run Illustrator, PS, Dreamweaver, a media player, and have the internet open then it's not for me.

Right now I can do all that on my laptop with some moderate slow down but it's still plenty workable.

I haven't purchased anything as of yet so I'm open to anything.

I'm sold on WMS because a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable loves the software and has sold me on it. It also helps having someone near by that knows whats up for trouble shooting, etc.

I won't be playing any games on the pc at all. I have never purchased a PC game and never will.

If I could get away with spending $600-$700 with a monitor I would be happy. Basically I'm just looking for a fast processor and at least 6gb ram. 19" monitor or larger would be ideal. I'd either buy a second monitor right away or I would be adding one soon after.
WMS does not support 64 bit, you will never be able to run more then 4gb of ram unless they come out with a totally new version.

Its not a bad piece of software for someone that knows little about computers. I would have said it was a pile of shit before PowerPack 2 came out. That finally made it work how it was designed back in 2007, 2yrs later... I still think their are better options.

If you want to run 2 monitors you are going to have to run a video card. I would get a 780G based motherboard if you want to upgrade later.

r6_240sx
05-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Wait I'm getting confused here. What are you looking for in each computer?

It's useless for a home server strictly used for data transfer to have buttloads of RAM. You'll be fine with just 2gb maybe even 1gb. All you need is decent obsolete computer with as much hard drive space you can afford. But, like everyone else said I would run an OS that is a less memory/cpu hog, like FreeNAS with a RAID 1 setup. Get more bang for the buck which you can spend the rest on for your desktop setup where all the money should go.

Howard92884
05-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Check out www.pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) lists lowest prices from a big selection of sites for computer parts and electronics.

HyperTek
05-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Source out 2nd hand parts
For Sale / Trade - [H]ard|Forum (http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
Overclockers Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.ocforums.com) *has a great classified section, but you need a certain post count**

Watch for hot deals
[H]ot|DEALS - [H]ard|Forum (http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
Cyber Deals - Overclockers Forums (http://www.ocforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)

Usually people will sell off their good parts just to keep with the latest parts, and dump their good parts cheap on forums. And also whenever a good deal on hardware pops up, people will post em in the hot deals section, and you can just read peoples comments/follow ups to see if the parts are any good.

You build a good computer once, and keep it for like 2-3 years while slowly upgrading parts as they age, like video cards and CPUs, but you can hold off on hard drive, memory, motherboard and cases alot longer..

Learn how to overclock, than you can source out budget parts and overclock them to perform up there with higher end parts.. and also last a lil longer til you feel like the parts are outdated and need to be upgraded.

exitspeed
05-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Wait I'm getting confused here. What are you looking for in each computer?

It's useless for a home server strictly used for data transfer to have buttloads of RAM. You'll be fine with just 2gb maybe even 1gb. All you need is decent obsolete computer with as much hard drive space you can afford. But, like everyone else said I would run an OS that is a less memory/cpu hog, like FreeNAS with a RAID 1 setup. Get more bang for the buck which you can spend the rest on for your desktop setup where all the money should go.

Sorry for the confusion...the desktops I'm talking about would be for me working on stuff, the server would be in a bare bones tower I can get for like $30 and then upgrade some stuff to run WHS for like $100.

I'm not familiar with FreeNAS or RAID 1 so I'll look into that so I have an idea what you guys are talking about.

ronmcdon
05-28-2009, 08:12 AM
Wouldn't running an external HD syncing your PC HD technically be serving the same purpose of RAID 1?

Taken from Wiki;

RAID is an acronym first defined by David A. Patterson, Garth A. Gibson and Randy Katz at the University of California, Berkeley in 1987 to describe a Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks,[1] a technology that allowed computer users to achieve high levels of storage reliability from low-cost and less reliable PC-class disk-drive components, via the technique of arranging the devices into arrays for redundancy.

More recently, marketers representing industry RAID manufacturers reinvented the term to describe a Redundant Array of Independent Disks as a means of disassociating a "low cost" expectation from RAID technology.[2]

Redundancy is achieved by either writing the same data to multiple drives (known as mirroring), or writing extra data (known as parity data) across the array, calculated such that the failure of one (or possibly more, depending on the type of RAID) disks in the array will not result in loss of data. A failed disk may be replaced by a new one, and the lost data reconstructed from the remaining data and the parity data. Organizing disks into a redundant array decreases the usable storage capacity. For instance, a 2-disk RAID 1 array loses half of the total capacity that would have otherwise been available using both disks independently, and a RAID 5 array with several disks loses the capacity of one disk. Other types of RAID arrays are arranged so that they are faster to write to and read from than a single disk.

98koukile
05-28-2009, 11:19 AM
What I would do if I were to do it again, buy a nice Dell, they have killer deals right now and if you call directly and say you're a broke college kid they cut you some slack on the price. You can get a really decent processor, ddr3, a huge hard drive, and a decent video card for a good price. The only thing I would do would be to buy a SSD for my operating system and have it seperate from the hard drive, right now I have 2 hard drives and IMO it could be a little faster that way

r6_240sx
05-28-2009, 02:09 PM
Wouldn't running an external HD syncing your PC HD technically be serving the same purpose of RAID 1?

WHS has their own version of backing stuff up, but technically it is the same thing as RAID 1. I would recommend RAID 5, so you also get some performance out of it, but that involves another hard drive. I'm just trying to give him different options of the same thing he's looking for which is why I didn't mention it.

Let's be realistic here too, how many times a year do we say to ourselves, "Oh, hmm... Today's a good day to hook up my external drive and back stuff up." No, that's not the case, we only think about that stuff when it's usually too late.

That's why it's better to have an extra INTERNAL hard drive that does it automatically by either using RAID or WHS. And if something is REALLY that important then you'll go out of your way to store it on a DVD, Flash Drive, etc.

HyperTek
05-28-2009, 07:49 PM
i dont recommend raid for someone who doesnt like to tinker or run the risk. Im rockign raid 0 *the fastest raid setup* 2 of the same hard drives, data is shared between both of them and the act like one big hard drive on the computer.. The computer cuts the data up to smaller pieces to store on both drives so it can pull those smaller pieces faster than it would pull 1 larger piece on one hard drive etc.. If one of those hard drives fails, bye bye data. But i been rocking it for a few years and no major problems.

ronmcdon
05-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Let's be realistic here too, how many times a year do we say to ourselves, "Oh, hmm... Today's a good day to hook up my external drive and back stuff up." No, that's not the case, we only think about that stuff when it's usually too late.

That's why it's better to have an extra INTERNAL hard drive that does it automatically by either using RAID or WHS. And if something is REALLY that important then you'll go out of your way to store it on a DVD, Flash Drive, etc.

I can't speak for other external HD's out there,
but the Seagate external HD I have allows me to preset what I want to sync, and how often I'd like to do it (say 10AM every morning).
Once I make those presets, the sync occurs automatically going forward.
I think some anti-virus apps out there like Norton 360 has a similar feature as well.

It's fairly easy to use, relative to installing an internal HD and setting up raid.
great for those who might not be as computer savy.

Only advantage I see with raid 1 vs external hd's is probably the cheaper price of internal hd's, & saving space in cramped conditions, especially if you plan to purchase multiple units.

Kinda OT, but I have a question.
With Raid 1 though, do the two HD's have to be identical?
For instance, can I run a RAID 1 setup, using a 250G solid state drive with a 1TB SATA drive?

r6_240sx
05-28-2009, 09:28 PM
No, must be identical.

But with WHS the backup feature they have, yes you can mix-match.

Dang you're running SSD?
http://www.freshyk.com/images/ballin.gif

i dont recommend raid for someone who doesnt like to tinker or run the risk. What's the risk? I can understand if you're running RAID 0, but are you talking about setting it up? :confused:

aznpoopy
05-29-2009, 02:08 PM
this is a little OT, but i saw some tigerdirect links up above.

yeah they have good prices sometimes, but in general i've had VERY bad experience with tiger direct. bad bbb rating as well. would not suggest buying from there if you're going diy route.

Future240
05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Check out www.pricewatch.com (http://www.pricewatch.com) lists lowest prices from a big selection of sites for computer parts and electronics.

Thanks for that.

ronmcdon
05-29-2009, 03:23 PM
No, must be identical.

But with WHS the backup feature they have, yes you can mix-match.

Dang you're running SSD?

Not yet, but it's tempting to get a 250g unit just for running windows.
think the 250g units are around $600 via Newegg.
I don't mind to get 1, but 2 is really out of my price range.
hope the prices drop on those soon.

SochBAT
05-29-2009, 04:35 PM
SSD FTW.

I wish i was ballin.

exitspeed
10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Well I finally bit the bullet. This is what I ordered this week. My budget was $700 and I went a little over. But I got the best stuff I could in that price range. I know though that this stuff is better then the crap that's going to be in a desktop I'd buy at a store in that price range. I can't wait to get everything and get it together.

Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118039)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/27-118-039-TS?$S300W$

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/22-152-185-TS?$S300W$

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231179)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-231-179-S01?$S300W$

Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3530 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115222)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/19-115-222-TS?$S300W$

Newegg.com - SPARKLE SFPX95GT1024U2H GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-187-034-TS?$S300W$

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-H55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel H55 HDMI USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128437)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-128-437-TS?$S300W$

Newegg.com - Antec Sonata III 500 Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 500W Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129024)
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-129-024-TS?$S300W$

ViewSonic - 22" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor - Black - VA2231wm (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ViewSonic+-+22%22+Widescreen+Flat-Panel+LCD+HD+Monitor+-+Black/1153362.p?id=1218226151772&skuId=1153362&st=1153362&cp=1&lp=1)
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/1153/1153362_sb.jpg

HP - Wireless Elite Keyboard - Black - FQ480AA#ABA (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Wireless+Elite+Keyboard+-+Black/9352666.p?id=1218089773731&skuId=9352666)
http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/9352/9352666_rb.jpg

Future240
10-01-2010, 01:14 PM
That's a nice case. I'm waiting till next year when the new AMD's come out (shouts to Boroson) to build mine.

Why such a tiny monitor lol?

bardabe
10-01-2010, 02:08 PM
just whatever you do don't get anything e-machines lol

1on1
10-01-2010, 07:33 PM
^so true.

i remember my friend played cs on a emachine back in 2002-2003, and for some reason, it held up to the game and he owned on it, lol.

the computer is not bad, im just assuming you just wanted to upgrade your current computer?

flip3d
10-02-2010, 09:26 AM
I remember back in 1998 my neighbor had an emachine desktop. The front of the tower had a sticker that said, "Never Obsolete"

exitspeed
10-02-2010, 10:14 AM
That's a nice case. I'm waiting till next year when the new AMD's come out (shouts to Boroson) to build mine.

Why such a tiny monitor lol?

I know it's kinda small. They are pretty inexpensive though and are really decent monitors so Ill be buying one soon hopefully.

the computer is not bad, im just assuming you just wanted to upgrade your current computer?

The computer I have now is a Presario R3000 laptop which is from like 04. I've been running CS3/4 and LR on it forever and I've made due. But now that I'm working in the industry and I have about a $4000 computer at work I come home and work on stuff and it's almost unbearable. So yeah it was just time.

Future240
10-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Check out Asus when you go to buy another monitor. They are pretty good and inexpensive as well.

exitspeed
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Check out Asus when you go to buy another monitor. They are pretty good and inexpensive as well.

My monitor at work is an Asus. Good monitors.