PDA

View Full Version : help from someone in NY with good analytical skills for suspension

240sxspeedracer1
04-02-2003, 08:42 PM
hi, can someone in NY(preferably within 1 hour drive of the bronx) spare me maybe 5 to 10 minutes of their time to check out my suspension and tell me what I should buy. My car has really ****ty handling, I just ordered AGX and Pro-kits but I'm sure I need to replace other stuff like bushings or control arms or something.
I really don't trust any mechanics or whatnot and would rather have someone on in the inside that has good knowledge of our car.
If nobody wants, I guess I'd just go to one of these mechanics or Strauss I guess and hope they know what they are talking about.
Let me know, thanks

adey
04-02-2003, 10:47 PM
there really isn't a whole lot to "analyze". Basically, from what I know of NY, you have ****ty streets with pot holes the size of soccer balls. That said, I'd go ahead and get a "comfort" spec or original equipment ("OE") equivelant shocks to go with the springs. Sure, they'll blow out a little faster 'cause they weren't meant to take lowering springs, but it'll do for a good year or two... maybe.

As for bushings and stuff- if you're worried at all about ride comfort, I would recommend sticking to bushings (stock if possible). If you change stuff like tension rods (aka t/c rods), rear toe control rods, rear upper control arms and rear traction rods for adjustable pieces that use ball joints, your ride will be super harsh. BUT, you'd also have better stability in corners...

it's all a trade off. Read some threads about coilovers, tc rods / sion rods, pillow ball joints, and all those suspension goodies, and see if you think they're what you want.

A good place to start would be the "kazama" thread near the middle/bottom of page 1 of chat. :)
Good luck on your suspension search!

240sxspeedracer1
04-03-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by adey
there really isn't a whole lot to "analyze". Basically, from what I know of NY, you have ****ty streets with pot holes the size of soccer balls. That said, I'd go ahead and get a "comfort" spec or original equipment ("OE") equivelant shocks to go with the springs. Sure, they'll blow out a little faster 'cause they weren't meant to take lowering springs, but it'll do for a good year or two... maybe.

As for bushings and stuff- if you're worried at all about ride comfort, I would recommend sticking to bushings (stock if possible). If you change stuff like tension rods (aka t/c rods), rear toe control rods, rear upper control arms and rear traction rods for adjustable pieces that use ball joints, your ride will be super harsh. BUT, you'd also have better stability in corners...

it's all a trade off. Read some threads about coilovers, tc rods / sion rods, pillow ball joints, and all those suspension goodies, and see if you think they're what you want.

A good place to start would be the "kazama" thread near the middle/bottom of page 1 of chat. :)
Good luck on your suspension search!

I really appreciate the reply. OK, let me explain the situation a little more. I hit a curb avoiding a collision with a stupid driver that was gonna cut me off. At first, the ride was ok, I just thought the alignment was F_ed up. Now it's getting a little worse and I suspect maybe something got bent or bushings might be worn out or messed up. I went to a mechanic before and they couldn't find anything, and a different mechanic told me that I probably had to change the front axles:o
Also, I already ordered the shocks and springs, not too worried about the streets cause I hardly ever drive, basically only on weekends so it's all good.
Thanks though, so yeah, if anybody can spare me 5 minutes, Ill drive to where ever you are.