PDA

View Full Version : ROOF RUST!!! help me fix it/ help me find some to fix it

deadghost
05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I have my coupe that I am getting ready for a full rub down for a paint job next month, the coupe is great except for a flaw of some rust on the roof. I need to find some way to repair this for me either they spot weld it (which looks like the only choice), I want to avoid bondo, seeing that it might rust up in the future after it has the paint job. My problem is that I need to find some one in socal to do this work, either I sand it down to be spot welded or I have the professional do it ( rather do it that way). Pleas throw me some good advice and recommendations, if you can think of some one who is capable of doing this work please let me know ASAP. -khal (626) 290-4762

NOW FOR THE PICS:bite:

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q195/DUNE_photo/DSC07171.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q195/DUNE_photo/DSC07173.jpghttp://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q195/DUNE_photo/DSC07172.jpg

Bigsyke
05-26-2009, 03:12 PM
ouch, I could only imagine what else lyes below that sheet metal. Looks like a cutout from a donor chassis and reweld is the only easy way here.

That way you can fix the rust underneath with some good ol rustbullet

payne219
05-26-2009, 03:26 PM
I had the same issue with my s chassis, lots of cancer spots around the sunroof. As far as advice, I took matters into my own hands and used a die cutter, chopped out the rusted areas and spot welded in new metal... It worked pretty good and looks flawless after some sanding and some small amounts of filler to even things out.

Bigsyke is right though... it may look like you have only small amounts of rust spots but once you start removing it you may end up cutting large portions of your roof off that is infected underneath.

If diy isnt your type of thing I was quoted about 200 bucks to fix mine by a local body.
Jus to give you an idea...
Good luck

deadghost
05-26-2009, 05:31 PM
I had the same issue with my s chassis, lots of cancer spots around the sunroof. As far as advice, I took matters into my own hands and used a die cutter, chopped out the rusted areas and spot welded in new metal... It worked pretty good and looks flawless after some sanding and some small amounts of filler to even things out.

Bigsyke is right though... it may look like you have only small amounts of rust spots but once you start removing it you may end up cutting large portions of your roof off that is infected underneath.

If diy isnt your type of thing I was quoted about 200 bucks to fix mine by a local body.
Jus to give you an idea...
Good luck

$200.00 IS BY FAR NOT A BAD PRICE. Going to contact you for more info.

deadghost
05-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Anyone else have any other advice they might want to share

silpena
05-27-2009, 09:25 PM
the sad part is the roof is not spot welded. Its part of the unibody. a,b,c, pillars are spot welded to it. Good luck on fixing it. Its not old where u can cut it and make a new roof out of sheet metal. ONe problem your gonna run into when u remove the joints in where the roof meets the qp's and all that ur body is warp if you dont brace it right when cutting and welding. I would cut the upper skin and look under and see whats happening. If you can mechanically remove of it with a bristal brush(not wire it'll cuase too much heat and remove to much metal) and treat the rust. It can give you at least 5-8 years of life depending on the weather. Make sure not to cut after the joints. Its copper so it wont rust.