PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? (Serious)

Rabbi010
05-26-2009, 02:18 PM
I just got a call from the Radiation Therapy department saying that I got into the program and I would be starting in September. I'm not sure if I am really interested in this; the only real big pluses are a lot of money after only two years of studying. The minuses are that I really want to go away to school/live life and that I've always wanted to study abroad. I wouldn't go away to school until Spring of 2010 because I have one semester left in Community College. I feel like I'm not living life and that this might still make me still feel the same?

What do you guys think? What would you do?

drift freaq
05-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I just got a call from the Radiation Therapy department saying that I got into the program and I would be starting in September. I'm not sure if I am really interested in this; the only real big pluses are a lot of money after only two years of studying. The minuses are that I really want to go away to school/live life and that I've always wanted to study abroad. I wouldn't go away to school until Spring of 2010 because I have one semester left in Community College. I feel like I'm not living life and that this might still make me still feel the same?

What do you guys think? What would you do?

You're young. This two year program would give you a job earning good money that you could save to travel all over with. You can easily enjoy traveling better, if you have the extra money. Plus, if its a two year program and you do it and earn some money for awhile and get tired of it? You can go back to school and learn more. Shit man, you are 19 you're acting like this world ending and your life will forever be boring after this. You have a long time ahead of you. Lighten up a bit and stop being so melodramatic. Don't tell me? You're into Emo right? LOL

ESmorz
05-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Sell everything you own and move to Thailand.

Don't spend the best years of your life (both cerebrally and body wise) in a classroom.

lflkajfj12123
05-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Sell everything you own and move to Thailand.

Don't spend the best years of your life both cerebral and body wise in a classroom.

you're an angel

:angel:

soreballz
05-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Don't be a fool, stay in school!

Just go for it.

Rabbi010
05-26-2009, 02:28 PM
You're young. This two year program would give you a job earning good money that you could save to travel all over with. You can easily enjoy traveling better, if you have the extra money. Plus, if its a two year program and you do it and earn some money for awhile and get tired of it? You can go back to school and learn more. Shit man, you are 19 you're acting like this world ending and your life will forever be boring after this. You have a long time ahead of you. Lighten up a bit and stop being so melodramatic. Don't tell me? You're into Emo right? LOL

Lol no I don't enjoy Emo music or anything related to it. It's just the fact that I've always wanted to go away to school/be in a community or study abroad. Being away for school sounds like it will be so much more fun. I have no idea what I want to be or anything like that. Massage therapy is my passion but they don't make a lot sooo I say nay to that. nay i say...naaaayy

What did you do for school? Commute/Dorm? Major?

slider2828
05-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Its expensive to really travel abroad and kick it I think. I don't like youth hostels and sharing stuff. I wanna live in the high life and nice hotels and buy stuff and eat nice. THat is just me. And if you wanna go to Japan, that gets expensive too. Why not just go to the program, save up some money and go balls out as a grad present to yourself. Right now, you just going to nickel and dime yourself to death on trip and that ain't fun.

I had an Apartment. MBA from Santa Clara University and MIS from San Jose State University.

O and I think Radiation Therapy with all the cancers that are happening today, you will get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Rabbi010
05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
Its expensive to really travel abroad and kick it I think. I don't like youth hostels and sharing stuff. I wanna live in the high life and nice hotels and buy stuff and eat nice. THat is just me. And if you wanna go to Japan, that gets expensive too. Why not just go to the program, save up some money and go balls out as a grad present to yourself. Right now, you just going to nickel and dime yourself to death on trip and that ain't fun.

I had an Apartment. MBA from Santa Clara University and MIS from San Jose State University.

O and I think Radiation Therapy with all the cancers that are happening today, you will get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Didn't you have fun being away? Maybe I'm just bugging because I'm thinking for now and not the future; and now I want the crazy college life and that's not something I want to look back on and regret not having it. To hard of a choice for me.

drift freaq
05-26-2009, 02:50 PM
Lol no I don't enjoy Emo music or anything related to it. It's just the fact that I've always wanted to go away to school/be in a community or study abroad. Being away for school sounds like it will be so much more fun. I have no idea what I want to be or anything like that. Massage therapy is my passion but they don't make a lot sooo I say nay to that. nay i say...naaaayy

What did you do for school? Commute/Dorm? Major?

This is good to hear. I can uderstand the going away to study or study abroad thing. Question is, is it an option for you at this time? If not this program might make it an option financially. I went to school locally. I commuted and lived on my own. I have a certificate in Automotive Technology from De Anza College. At the time they had the third best Automotive Technology program in the Nation.

Its not what I wound up doing for career though. LOL I also went to Sound Engineer school and got a certificate in sound engineering. I also went back and got a Digidesign certified Pro Tools certificate.

Honestly I do feel young people should move at least 300-500 miles or more from home. It severs the umbilical cord to the family and makes you think completely different. Its a eye opening life changing experience in my view. Something everyone should experience.

With that said you need to work within the means you have at hand. As we only know what you have presented us we are going to advise you based on that.

Koopa Troopa
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Crazy college life is fucking stupid. Quit being a jackass and take the class. You'll have plenty of time to travel after you do the course.

DrtyRat
05-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Honestly, before you decide take a look at the job opportunities in that field. My wife applied and got accepted to programs for diagnostic ultrasounds, radiation tech, radiology, nursing and a few more. Ultimitalely, she went w/nursing b/c the fields in all of those other areas was over-saturated. People were coming out of school, and still had no jobs after over a year.

dert420sx
05-26-2009, 03:31 PM
dude milk the parental teat for as long as you can. i moved out for school and regretted it. you don't wanna be on your own and have to decide on books vs. food.

school is definitely stressful enough. you dont need to also be weighed down with issues as rent/utilities/food.
you would be able to study and learn better the fewer worries you have.

besides, as has been mentioned here, the radiation therapy field is only going to grow. in fact any of the other medical therapy fields (respiratory, physical, occupational)
are growing because as people age, they require more and more care. add to that the brave soldiers coming home from the war injured or maimed.
there is a huge market for that type of skill nowadays.
my gf is an occupational therapist and her company is constantly getting new hospitals/SNF's (skilled nursing facilities) under contract.

BlckBeautyVTEC
05-26-2009, 03:33 PM
finish school make money then enjoy

Drewski
05-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Study now, BALL later.

palmdale_mob
05-26-2009, 05:13 PM
I say go to the school
Finish these two years and you have the rest of your life to do whatever you want
If not you will go broke trying to live life and look back and wish you did the school sooner

ALTRNTV
05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Radiology, which I'm guessing radiation therapy is, is every hard to get into, since there's usually a long waiting list. They
also get paid very well. I would go for this opportunity, and you're still young, so you'd probably be making a lot more
money than your friends.

Matej
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
This is a decision only you can make.

ronmcdon
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
I second spending some time over at Bangkok first.
do that program afterwards.
then go back to Bangkok.

Rabbi010
05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm leaning towards doing the program. I do want to go away and live the craZy college life and have some stories; I realized that I can do that here, it's just harder because I'm not surrounded by them 24.7. I just need to find a community or something like that, probably join a sport. Maybe live with random people? Who knows, just thought that I'd update.

slider2828
05-28-2009, 03:25 PM
This is good to hear. I can uderstand the going away to study or study abroad thing. Question is, is it an option for you at this time? If not this program might make it an option financially. I went to school locally. I commuted and lived on my own. I have a certificate in Automotive Technology from De Anza College. At the time they had the third best Automotive Technology program in the Nation.

Its not what I wound up doing for career though. LOL I also went to Sound Engineer school and got a certificate in sound engineering. I also went back and got a Digidesign certified Pro Tools certificate.

Honestly I do feel young people should move at least 300-500 miles or more from home. It severs the umbilical cord to the family and makes you think completely different. Its a eye opening life changing experience in my view. Something everyone should experience.

With that said you need to work within the means you have at hand. As we only know what you have presented us we are going to advise you based on that.

Hmmm I wasn't really away, I was still in the area, maybe 45 minutes away from home. I love NorCal, so eh wouldn't go anywhere else. I mean I wasn't into the college partying and stuff like that, was more interested in motorcycle racing during that time and finding a job. Its a VERY bad job market out there and I really think if you won't take that program, about 18027304017450545 people is lined up and ready to. Its a chance of a lifetime, traveling you can do whenever. Dude man, its double digit unemployment and its rising, manufacturing in the US is pretty much dead.... Do something that you will FOR SURE get a job cause a lot of college grads still don't have a job. Time to get with it and grow up.

illvialuver
05-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I personally think that school will always be there but your youth wont, you live only once, so I say take a break.
Anything without moderation will kill you. So find the balance.
But whatever you decide make sure it feels right, trust your gut, it will save you as many times as your head will.

RiversideS13
05-28-2009, 09:27 PM
i think if money is the only factor driving you to join the program, you would probably regret sometimes in the future. because you will disappointed because tax and saturated job market will rape you. it doesn't matter what program you gotten into, it is the reality.

but i think it would be wise to take a spot in any profession relatively early because every profession will just get more and more saturated. so it will be good that you get working experience early or build up your resume, or build up your capital for investments. Than you will able to take vacations, buy nice things, and live comfortably.

325irollin
05-28-2009, 11:07 PM
What ever you choose, I'm sure you'll make 6 figures in no time.

bboyswoosh87
06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
There's a department in the health industry where you can travel all over the united states for free they pay you to go from hospital to hospital. I'm not sure what department it was though i think it was radiology i'm just not sure because I was talking to some lady when i was hospitalized and she said she traveled all over the United states.

My plan was to become a pretty dope bboy and travel either on my expenses or getting paid to dance. Right now i'm 50/50 i'm getting good at dancing, but I'm also almost ready to transfer to a University. I'm going to try to do both because its important to me have a career and have a hobby which i love and can rely and not feel empty or lost.

TravisSW
06-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Short term awnser:

Don't be a fool, take up the offer and make the money.

Get the money now so you can do the stuff you want to do later. You're still young, do it, you have nothing to lose.