PDA

View Full Version : 240sx REF Ticket Help

willievo
05-25-2009, 06:14 PM
ok so here the deal i just baught a car with a ref ticket. its a s13 hatchback and i didnt find out that it had a ref ticket till later. when i tried to contact the seller about the ticket he wouldnt answer back. so my question is if the car was sold to me will i now have to pay for the ref ticket or can i just get the car smogged and will it be clear? ive googled many things on this but cant find one straight answer. pleaz can anyone help me or suggest anything

soreballz
05-25-2009, 07:40 PM
I've heeeeeeard that its the new owner's problem. I could be wrong though. I'm sure this has been covered in the 1,000,000 REF threads on this forum.

Who sold you the car? Put that guy on blast! ahahaha

willievo
05-25-2009, 08:17 PM
ive tried to get in contact with him but he doesnt answer

punghouse
05-25-2009, 08:22 PM
I heard of people selling cars to thier friends to clear the ticket then buying it back. always assumed selling cleared the ticket (guess not)

FaLKoN240
05-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I think the ref ticket is an issue on HIS license, not yours.

How do you know the car has a ref on it?

What is it for?

If you cannot contact the OG owner, why not go to his house?

The registration should have a house address (the DMV doesn't accept PO boxes)

There are ways to solve the problem, you have to be more specific on what the issue is.

willievo
05-26-2009, 12:38 AM
when i went to register it they told me it had a ref ticket and it needed to be cleared. im guessing it had a sr20 engine in it and was tickeded for illegal emissions. i just want to know if i can clear the stupid ticket since the owner isnt responding and we meet half ways on the sell.

edit: he finally replied and told me all i have to do is get it smogged. is that true????

doso
05-26-2009, 01:12 AM
So the car is swap back to KA? or still SR?

If is KA then just smog it see if it pass, but first go to TEST only see if clear and ready to pass

willievo
05-26-2009, 02:09 AM
right now i sold the sr20 but im trying to find a good ka24 but cant seem to find one

willievo
06-01-2009, 01:11 PM
bump someone any advice or what should i do?

Sergio180sx
06-01-2009, 02:14 PM
i have a full KA24DE swap if u wanna but it runs great selling it cause im going RB next week port and polished head and custom headers $700 firm and if u buy the motor i have somebody who can smog it for cheap!
626-391-6771

FaLKoN240
06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
You can transfer the title to your name, but you're kinda just kicking your own ass trying to register a car that needs smog and doesn't run.

willievo
06-02-2009, 05:30 AM
well thanks for the help
the car was going to be a test car cause i wanted to learn about this car with my bro and my dad lol

VertTwins
06-03-2009, 08:34 AM
In the state of california it is the SELLERS responsibility to get the car smog inspected. In your particular case he would have to smog the car at a ref station to both clear the ticket and to complete the change of ownership emissions inspection.
Smog Information (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2537)

In your case if it wont pass smog as it was sold to you, he can either take the car back and give you your money back. If he wont do that you can take it to small claims court. However even if you win the case you may never see the money since the courts do very little to enforce payment. All the leg work to attach his wages or his tax returns would be performed by you.

With all that said good luck.

For the rest of you 240 enthusisast in california. Handle the smog before handing over money for the car. If the seller is unwilling then dont buy his car, its that simple.

shade
06-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm curious about this topic as well. My friend wants to trade his car for another. The thing is that he is only trading the chassis not the motor. So does the referee ticket follow the car or the owner? Does the new owner still have to take it to the referee to clear the car?

VertTwins
06-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I am not sure if the ticket is attached to the owner or the car. I think it has to do with how the ticket is written. Since the car is being sold with no motor the bill of sale needs to state so and
"this vehicle is being sold for off road use only. If the buyer wishes to register the vehicle for public street use it will be the buyers responsibility to bring the car into compliance for both emissions certification and saftey."
The car will need to be in non-op status with dmv upon sale.

Vision Garage
06-07-2009, 01:22 PM
Once the car is sold, the new owner (buyer) can smog the car any way they want. the seller should be cleared of the state ref ticket. But it will not affect the buyer only the seller.

ttLOVEjh s13
06-09-2009, 09:00 PM
your fine dont worry. treat it like nothing ever happen, trust me... just register it and smog it...

jay c. sagano
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
I think the ref ticket is an issue on HIS license, not yours.

How do you know the car has a ref on it?

What is it for?

If you cannot contact the OG owner, why not go to his house?

The registration should have a house address (the DMV doesn't accept PO boxes)

I AGREE>>>> I'd ask you the same question as above !!!

heavenskrow
06-09-2009, 10:09 PM
sorry this is off topic kind of but i dont want to make another thread:
I have 2 fix it tickets for brake light and no front plate which i fixed by using my zenki bulb, and taping the front plate.
can i take it to the nearby cop station and have them sign it off and be done with it?

meteorite_flo
06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
sorry this is off topic kind of but i dont want to make another thread:
I have 2 fix it tickets for brake light and no front plate which i fixed by using my zenki bulb, and taping the front plate.
can i take it to the nearby cop station and have them sign it off and be done with it?

tape? i don't know about that one. why not screw it?

willievo
06-11-2009, 04:16 AM
thanks for all the help