PDA

View Full Version : Driving a slammed car in San Francisco

highly responsive
05-24-2009, 11:40 AM
how do you go about driving on them big ass hills?
with such small ass streets sometimes, theres no way youre gonna be able to go at an incline sideways with all kinds of other cars around.

im asking because i am going to the city today, and i need advice :(
or maybe i can park my 240 at the macarthur bart station... no, fuck that.

jrbump
05-24-2009, 11:45 AM
just take it easy, who fucking cares if a motherfucker honks.

I remember waaaaaaay back in the day I had a 69 BMW that was pretty low, i crested a very steep hill and there was a manhole cover protruding about 3" into the air. I scraped cresting that hill at speed and that manhole ripped my exhaust right the fuck off.

Good times, good times.

CrimsonRockett
05-24-2009, 11:48 AM
I personally wouldn't drive a slammed car in San Francisco.

I went the other week in my daily.

After seeing how terrible the streets are, fuck that.

Never EVER driving a slammed car there.

GSXRJJordan
05-24-2009, 11:56 AM
I personally wouldn't drive a slammed car in San Francisco.

I went the other week in my daily.

After seeing how terrible the streets are, fuck that.

Never EVER driving a slammed car there.

QFT. I've driven around a couple times in rentals while travelling for business, and holy SHIT there were some places where I was like "whoa, never could go here..."

Only thing you can do is drive with the mindset that you would like to keep your car intact, and not care about traffic/etc. If you have to wait for a while so you can hit a dip sideways/etc, you wait - screw the haters.

Kamburrito
05-24-2009, 12:22 PM
If you're scared of destroying your ride, why not just raise
it up to an acceptable hight just for the time being; i mean, coilovers are
adjustable for a reason right?

!Zar!
05-24-2009, 12:34 PM
You get use to it and know where you should and shouldn't go.

And if you're felling crazy, you can jump your car/bike/whatever off a few streets.

sunnys14
05-24-2009, 12:59 PM
I drive there no problem.

It's just the bad dents in the roads that i'm more worried about, fat ass potholes waiting to damage your wheels.

DP-AE86
05-24-2009, 01:09 PM
^ really guys? i remember the fat hills but i dont remember any potholes or anything last time i went there which was less than a year ago...

well...i guess i'll find that out soon when i move there next month

slider2828
05-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah I drive in the city all the time in my car, pretty low. Driveways, basically out of the question, they all suck. Streets, not so bad, just pay attention and know where to go. Usually major streets are ok, but once you get into the ghetto or downtown or dunno where you going, tires going to pay for it. YOu guys haven't seen 880, basically pot holes everywhere.... 6month alignment mandatory lol

FaLKoN240
05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Yeah, driving in the city really isn't that bad, just pay attention to where you're going.

The crests and hills really aren't that bad as long as you pay attention, slow down for STEEP hills.

If you really are scared, follow someone else and watch their car bounce to avoid really bad spots.

OptionZero
05-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I live there, so I'm fortunate (unfortunate?) enough to know which streets are fucked up and which are . . . well, slightly less fucked up. Just going to school I travel an extra few blocks and take the long way around areas with the worst potholes.

If you're just stopping by to visit, I'd strongly suggest parking the car in a somewhere and walking or taking public transit.

Anywhere near the freeway generally sucks since they're doing alot of Bay Bridge construction and the trucks have fucked up the roads (the actual freeway is surprisingly ok). Streetcar tracks anywhere are a PITA.

blackrms13
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
i was there over spring break in a rental...
the streets downtown all made me go "OMFG....thank god im not in my car...."

haha
GL

and the public transportation in downtown SF is pretty awesome
i got to ride the bus for free once, then the way back i had to pay like 50 cent...LOL...too cheap :D

Teh Luckinator
05-25-2009, 02:41 AM
i got stuck once going down the ofarrell parking garage. there was a car coming up so i had to go straight down, it sucked. 17's all around must be why, gotta get on that 17/18 staggered son!

DP-AE86
05-25-2009, 03:17 AM
I live there, so I'm fortunate (unfortunate?) enough to know which streets are fucked up and which are . . . well, slightly less fucked up. Just going to school I travel an extra few blocks and take the long way around areas with the worst potholes.

what school do you go to?
where do you park your car?
i want to bring mine up there for school but my school highly suggest not to bring a car as they dont provide parking i'm assuming...

slider2828
05-25-2009, 10:54 AM
What school sf state? I don't think they have a parking garage.

OptionZero
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I go to USF. Parking is generally a bitch because it's all 2 hours and the residential areas have annoying homeowners that will call Department of Parking and Traffic to ticket you if you're perfectly spaced between driveways. Meter maids like to dick you on curbing your tires all the way as well. There's also street cleaning.

They have a garage but its limited to people who live outta the city (30 miles?)

After the first year it was ok because I started taking classes in the evening and doing internships during the day for units, so i didn't need to be at school until parking restrictions expired.

Parking at SF State would seem to be a bitch as well. They have some lots but not nearly enough.

hOngsterr
05-25-2009, 01:44 PM
dim sum upp there hella expensive lol,
but either then that streets are fucked up
plus don't go up to this street called Lombardy or w.e street.
its hell for manual drivers, but if u want be my guest lol

and OptionZero (http://zilvia.net/f/members/optionzero.html) i think i may had seen you,
on my spring break in SF/Stockton area.

i think it was the bay bridge going back to SF?

blackrms13
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
dim sum upp there hella expensive lol,
but either then that streets are fucked up
plus don't go up to this street called Lombardy or w.e street.
its hell for manual drivers, but if u want be my guest lol

and OptionZero (http://zilvia.net/f/members/optionzero.html) i think i may had seen you,
on my spring break in SF/Stockton area.

i think it was the bay bridge going back to SF?
Lombard is the right name i believe...haha
i was there for spring break

FaLKoN240
05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
My friend goes to SF state and he stays at state all day to save money on transportation because parking is like almost $10 a day for the all day pass.

Teddy
05-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I was there yesterday and I don't think I would take my car there.

brndck
05-25-2009, 04:25 PM
hmmm i've been considering this same thing cuz i might have a job in benecia this summer.

i had a weekend girlfriend who lived in the presidio by the lombard gate so i was up there quite a bit last year. if you live in the city there is no need for a car. public transport is more than sufficient.

if i had a car and lived in the city, i would keep it slammed as fuck, but just be the asshole driver who is going slow as fuck in front of you, weaving all over the place to avoid potholes and manhole covers. driving thru sf, its not like you're ever going more than 30-40mph anyways cuz of traffic, so you should have plenty of time to avoid obstacles.

imo.

Avante
05-25-2009, 11:50 PM
shit is like murder.

of course, im not from those parts.

but i would drive, avoid a hole, and while in the process of changing lanes, would hit another hole, thus breaking my bumper.

and those hills!

sweet jesus they give you a work out.

and your clutch one, too.

MURDER.

silpena
05-26-2009, 12:47 AM
im in sf at the momment for 4 weeks on paid training and man the streets are horrible. The whole time i was thinking how much i would not want to drive my car here. The hills scare the crap out of me. I guess times like these u wish your car was auto huh? lol
The drivers are so damn crazy, i was just waiting to see an accident but i guess seeing so many cars with side damage, scrapred bumpers and doors is enoug to tell me not to park on the streets......ever.

!Zar!
05-26-2009, 02:28 AM
I guess since I've grown up and always drive in SF, I don't find it as bad as people make it out.

As long as you know how to drive, you won't burn out your clutch.

The pot holes are more annoying than shitty enough to tear your car apart.

The hills are whatever.

The one thing is, since it's a busy place and parking is kept tight, you will get, "san francisco damage" on your bumpers.

Where you leave your car parked on the street, come back a few hours later and have a rub mark on your bumper.

But whatever. Shouldn't be driving a show car around in the first place.

DP-AE86
05-26-2009, 03:06 AM
I was there yesterday and I don't think I would take my car there.

i'd see exploding parts everywhere if you took it. hahaha.

w0nderbr3ad
05-26-2009, 11:49 AM
^ really guys? i remember the fat hills but i dont remember any potholes or anything last time i went there which was less than a year ago...

well...i guess i'll find that out soon when i move there next month

I'm moving up next month too. Going to go to school in the middle of the city. I know I won't be driving my car in the city, but damn taking the bart is gonna rip me a new one.

hOngsterr
05-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Lombard is the right name i believe...haha
i was there for spring break

yeah that one then lol,

!Zar!
05-26-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm moving up next month too. Going to go to school in the middle of the city. I know I won't be driving my car in the city, but damn taking the bart is gonna rip me a new one.

Not really.

It's a lot easier/cheaper to catch Muni/Bart around the city most of the time.

You'd either have to pay a high fee for daily parking, pay the meeter like $2 for an hr or something. Not to mention, parking tickets in the city are no joke.

But after you spend enough time here, you'll get use to it and know all the parking spots people tend to miss.

OptionZero
05-26-2009, 06:13 PM
compounding the problem is the damn yuppies with bigass SUVs or tourists who dont know how to parallel park and eat up 1.5 spots

thats why I want a super short beater car that can squeeze into anything