PDA

View Full Version : Who else here is on the job hunt?

AutoTune
05-21-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm having the hardest time finding a job right now. Sometimes i wish i lived in bfe like north carolina sometimes cause it would be easier to find a job. :rl:

neverrain
05-21-2009, 11:20 PM
Got any skills? I get $2k for referring someone who stays employed with us for 90 days. Pay is good too.

cali_love
05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
^^ im looking for a job too hook it up dude

AutoTune
05-21-2009, 11:27 PM
What type of work? I have done

-Sales
-ware house work
-Customer service
-tech support and i.t. related skills (3 plus years)
*networking
*routers
*network cards
*windows operating system (XP, vista etc)
*Trouble shooting

etc.

neverrain
05-21-2009, 11:35 PM
What kind of tech support? It's a web hosting company. Linux based servers. That's basically what the job is, supporting customers with technical issues with the servers. You don't really need any programming experience, but it doesn't hurt.

EDIT - Just to reiterate, I'm not going to blindly refer people for interviews. I'll chat with you a bit, see how you are, and we can go from there. You will be tested at the interview and be required to answer essay questions regarding basic customer support before your actual interview to demonstrate your ability to speak and write English. If you have no experience with web based servers don't even bother.

My job is my life and I love it. I will not be vouching for anyone's ability unless I've seen it first hand. I will simply be referring you as a friend of a friend kind of thing. It is on you to pass the interview and training.

AutoTune
05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
I wish I would say I was qualified for this job. But I'm not familiar w/ Linux nor servers but i can be trained.

I did tech support for:

-network cards
-routers and wireless routers and everything in between.

Bottom line is I know about a lot and there is still a lot i need to know but i am willing to be trained and learn something new.

AutoTune
05-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I just looked up your client list and your job place is no joke. I never heard of mt till now but i know the clients. I'd love to work in this line of work as I'm kinda of a undercover computer geek.

neverrain
05-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Your training would basically consist of uploading various websites to 3 different servers and putting them online along with various training of the servers and such. It lasts about 2 weeks. If you think you are a quick learner PM me. I came into this place with no backend experience (no puns). All my experience was with doing websites on the front end, but I had some experience with using hosting services.

I know how shitty it is right now trying to find a job, but I have been lucky enough to keep (and get promoted within twice) in the last year and couple months. So I am willing to help people out if I think they can handle it.

Job is based out of Culver City btw.

9s13Coupe3SX
05-22-2009, 12:13 AM
damn if i wasn't doing sales and making $$$$ daily, I would hop on this. linux...memories.

SochBAT
05-22-2009, 02:08 AM
Times like these I wish I had stayed in the Linux realm learning commands. I can generally get everything to work, but I'm not a power linux user. FML.

BUT, on the upside, Linux is COMPLETELY supported by the community, which is amazing.

Got a question? SEARCH NOOB!

Sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver xorg

Bash is cool too.

PS. Awesome that you get paid so damn well. Kudos for being comfy!

neverrain
05-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Times like these I wish I had stayed in the Linux realm learning commands. I can generally get everything to work, but I'm not a power linux user. FML.

BUT, on the upside, Linux is COMPLETELY supported by the community, which is amazing.

Got a question? SEARCH NOOB!

Sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver xorg

Bash is cool too.

PS. Awesome that you get paid so damn well. Kudos for being comfy!

If you have any real experience with Linux you would most likely be good, command line or not. Experience with hosting is a plus too. I'm guessing since you know what sudo is you probably do. The command line shit impresses them. I didn't know any command line at all when I started and now I do most of my troubleshooting via shell.

If you can set up a bare bones server that comes with Apache and shell access, and aren't a moron socially I can almost guarantee you a job. We are always hiring for tech support (we more than doubled the size of the company during all this recession), but I will want to meet and converse with you first before I refer you.

PS - The benefits are unreal. Ask AutoTune, I gave him a decent rundown of all the perks and I forgot to mention to him about the company events. Last year's christmas party was held at a swanky hotel in downtown LA exclusive to us, full open bar and unlimited food. We had another at the Staples Center, 2 luxury boxes to ourselves, free booze. The most recent they rented out part of Lucky Strike for bowling and booze all night. This offer is open to anyone over 18 with some experience (adeptness with computers is good too), but you have to impress me with the ability to speak and converse with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation before you get any info (without these you won't make it past the interview). I'm not going to refer anyone blindly. I value my job more than anything and I'm not going to risk it to anyone who is immature about this or a douchebag. I know times are rough right now and I'm trying to show some love to my fellow Zilvians and help my company at the same time. I would love to see the company double in size again.

SochBAT
05-22-2009, 04:10 AM
This job sounds surreal.

PS. I have a blue center console. the cig lighter has been replaced with a switch.

GSXRJJordan
05-22-2009, 04:22 AM
^^^ Damn Neverrain, sounds like you've got a tits job. I'll hit you up too if I don't find something in the next couple weeks.

This thread's already better than the million-page other one, where everyone just asks if anyone else has gotten a job yet lol.

SochBAT
05-22-2009, 04:26 AM
Agreed. Jeff, did you get an email from Tammy too?

I might have to look into this.

az_240
05-22-2009, 05:24 AM
I have been out of a job since August.... it sucks.

SochBAT
05-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Try May 08.

I win at losing!

Future240
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM
I am going to be later on this year when I become 1 semester (semester are 4 months long) from graduating

ThatGuy
05-22-2009, 11:38 AM
We already have a Thread, stickied, for Job Hunting...

http://zilvia.net/f/off-topic-chat/116072-those-looking-job-update-pg5.html

:lockd: